Brazos County Commisioner races

42,381 Views | 258 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by GSS
taxpreparer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry, those are the three questions all politicians should ask with regards to any government decision.

Is it needed?
If I was using my money, would I do this?
Is it the government's responsibility to do this?

The government, at all levels, does things that are not their responsibility, because they perceive a need, and have access to taxpayers' money.
Passwordgone
Aldrich: $14,571 for 2,760 votes = $5.28/vote

Nettles: $107,364 for 2,065 votes = $51.99/vote

Mooney: $8,793 for 1,373 votes = $6.40/vote

Berry: $26,753 for 1,965 votes = $13.61/vote

Brown: $12,225 for 2,461 votes = $4.96/vote

BCSWguru
107K, is that for real? If so, LOL.
CS78
BCSWguru said:

107K, is that for real? If so, LOL.

Business decision Im sure. Politicians as a whole get rich by working the angles of the tax and spend system. The less money that flows, the harder it is to work those angles. Removing a road block like Aldrich could be money well spent for some.
Tibbers
Wow.
taxpreparer
AG
Somebody has to be expecting something in return for that amount of investment. I will not say it still happens, but some commissioners expected to get something on the side for helping out their constituents. It was happening forty plus years ago.
Old Army63
Aldrich has been in local politics since 1996! In order to get his name out Nettles needed to spend money to Advertise. With Mooney in the race it became even more necessary to do so.
Old Army63
Do you have any proof of that or you just disparaging a candidate that you don't like? Where do you live? Are you even in Precinct One?
Old Army63
Good questions, all year long Aldrich voted to approve County Spending and budget amendments. Do you think he asked those questions?
Old Army63
Aldrich voted for increase tax burden on property owners
2015. while on city council
2018 while commissioner
2019 while commissioner
2020 while commissioner
2021 while commissioner

zebra doesn't change its spots, tax and spend guy
PanAg83
AG
The fundraising Nettles has been able to produce shows that he has significant support across Brazos County and Precinct 1. The only reason folks grumble about fundraising is because others did not have the capability or put forth the effort to raise funds. Campaigns require funds, and to challenge an incumbent and then have a former Mayor of College Station join the race requires significant funds to get your message out.
PanAg83
AG
55% voted against incumbent Commissioner Berry and 55% voted against incumbent Commissioner Aldrich.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
PanAg83 said:

55% voted against incumbent Commissioner Berry and 55% voted against incumbent Commissioner Aldrich.

That's one way to spin it. But that's In the primary. Runoff's are different animals historically.
Hittag1492
AG
Old Army63 said:

Aldrich voted for increase tax burden on property owners
2015. while on city council
2018 while commissioner
2019 while commissioner
2020 while commissioner
2021 while commissioner

zebra doesn't change its spots, tax and spend guy

So you believe Nettles will be the type to lower taxes and spending? I don't see a career military guy and then government worker/consultant as qualifications that indicate that. Not saying it is not possible, just that there are no signs that is the case at all and his campaign bomb of spending shows the opposite.
Hittag1492
AG
PanAg83 said:

The fundraising Nettles has been able to produce shows that he has significant support across Brazos County and Precinct 1. The only reason folks grumble about fundraising is because others did not have the capability or put forth the effort to raise funds. Campaigns require funds, and to challenge an incumbent and then have a former Mayor of College Station join the race requires significant funds to get your message out.

That's one way to look at it. Bentley is used to working for as a consultants and an environment of influence as well. Pay for play. So you could also look at it as him being sponsored by special interests. He is, after all, an A&M grad so it is not like he has no ties to power players here that would certainly have their interests at heart. Perfectly legal btw. Just know what you are getting into potentially. That is the most spending by a candidate ever I believe ( I was told this by a reliable source, but I did not check, so take it for what it is worth) so it is odd and something yo certainly take notice of and think about.

I actually like Nettles so I would not be disappointed. I do have some worries though and believe they are certainly justified. Frankly, we do not have any great choices, but they all are better than Berry was. If we can get rid of Peters also we will have done some positive work.
taxpreparer
AG
Like I said, my personal knowledge is from something 40+ years ago. Does not matter which precedence, and i named no one. I just expect anyone who receives large donations, or has exorbitant campaign spending, to be expecting something in return. I do not care whether they are are running for dog catcher, County Commissioner, DA, state legislature, Congress, or President. I seldom trust any politician to have my best interest at heart.

On the other hand, if the shoe fits...
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
taxpreparer said:

Like I said, my personal knowledge is from something 40+ years ago. Does not matter which precedence, and i named no one. I just expect anyone who receives large donations, or has exorbitant campaign spending, to be expecting something in return. I do not care whether they are are running for dog catcher, County Commissioner, DA, state legislature, Congress, or President. I seldom trust any politician to have my best interest at heart.

On the other hand, if the shoe fits...

This is the frustrating part about politics in general. Incumbents win because they have money. They can fundraise even when they DON'T gave an opponent so they have a war chest when they do. Rich candidates WHO can fund their own campaign or large donors are suspect, but the only reality for an opponent to have a chance.
kccount
Bentley is a staunch supporter of Governor Abbott who by the way appointed him to clean up the corruption and mismanagement at TABC. Abbott doesn't appoint loberals or Rhinos to office. He didn't become the Texas National Guards lead JAG officer and promote to General Officer without the complete support of the Governor.
Hittag1492
AG
kccount said:

Bentley is a staunch supporter of Governor Abbott who by the way appointed him to clean up the corruption and mismanagement at TABC. Abbott doesn't appoint loberals or Rhinos to office. He didn't become the Texas National Guards lead JAG officer and promote to General Officer without the complete support of the Governor.

Abbott, recent success with the border situation aside, has not exactly been one to shy away from surrounding himself with big time political lifers nor would anybody consider him as someone apart from the classic bought and paid for politician. Again, does not make Nettles that, but the association also does not point to Nettles being something different either so I don't see how it helps.
kccount
Again, Bentley was brought in to clean up TABC and did so very successfully. TABC's Enforcement Division was the least respected State Law Enforcement in Texas when Bentley took over. He, even with significant pushback, significantly raised ethical standards there.
kccount
So we have an incumbent who has been in office for 28 years. He's been able to use the influence and power of his office without spending large amounts of political spending. Bentley, on the other hand has to raise money to complete. It looks to me like Bentley has garnered allot of support by entities who want positive change
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
How much of that money and support is by voters in the precinct he wants to represent versus outside influence trying to put him in office?
Hittag1492
AG
kccount said:

Again, Bentley was brought in to clean up TABC and did so very successfully. TABC's Enforcement Division was the least respected State Law Enforcement in Texas when Bentley took over. He, even with significant pushback, significantly raised ethical standards there.

He did ok, You are tooting his horn at TABC a bit much there my friend. Here inherited corruption and did a solid job. He was certainly honest and kept the organization clean and back on a pretty normal government agency path as far as how one runs, so that was good. Budget wise-not so much so on the spending side-pretty typical govt bloat and nothing special as far as running it inany way different than how pretty much every govt agency runs. So ai guess that is good?
PanAg83
AG
That's exactly right. An incumbent under 50% is in trouble typically.
PanAg83
AG
Why are we all of a sudden not critical of someone with a tax raising record?!? Let's not shift the focus so fast… If Commissioner Berry was a problem, Commissioner Aldrich voted for every College Station Tax increase and every Brazos County Tax increase before he broke the quorum to force no new revenue! Forget his record at CSISD, he has a tax raising high spending record and has chosen to re define himself as a tax cutting champion, which is laughable! Sadly too many of you are buying it.
Hittag1492
AG
PanAg83 said:

Why are we all of a sudden not critical of someone with a tax raising record?!? Let's not shift the focus so fast… If Commissioner Berry was a problem, Commissioner Aldrich voted for every College Station Tax increase and every Brazos County Tax increase before he broke the quorum to force no new revenue! Forget his record at CSISD, he has a tax raising high spending record and has chosen to re define himself as a tax cutting champion, which is laughable! Sadly too many of you are buying it.

Precisely Because he broke the quorum to force no new tax revenue. No other candidate running can say they have ever done that at any level. None. Ever. It is extremely difficult (almost impossible) to make that fight within any government system at any level-hence it almost never happens and those that dare are soundly ridiculed (as he was) and torn down. You cannot just discount that like it is nothing, simply ridiculous. It just never happens and is the reason government spending is ever expanding.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
Sounds like you're set on keeping the status quo, as what is Nettles going to do different? Good with me too.
PanAg83
AG
So you're ok with all the tax increases for one reduction that wasn't voted on!? Sounds like someone who blindly likes Aldrich and is not following the facts. He's got a tax and spend record with one quorum break that had more to do wi th power and sticking it to Judge Peters then saving you anything on your taxes.
Hittag1492
AG
PanAg83 said:

So you're ok with all the tax increases for one reduction that wasn't voted on!? Sounds like someone who blindly likes Aldrich and is not following the facts. He's got a tax and spend record with one quorum break that had more to do wi th power and sticking it to Judge Peters then saving you anything on your taxes.

Lol, you are just singular minded or don't understand a whole lot. I feel it is the singular minded thing as in a dislike of Aldeich more than anything, which is your right. And Peters is a HUGE part of the problem in this county as well btw. So if you are somehow defending him I would find that both amazing and very telling in your advocating for Nettles. In any case, I learned long ago not to try to sway people on politics who are stuck in their views. You have your views and you are certainly welcome to them. I do wish you my best. Have a good evening.
PanAg83
AG
I wish you well too and I won't insult you as you did me. I'm not seeing much of a dispute to my assertions other than a personal attack, which is telling. They're inconvenient truths of which there are no simple talking points to dispute other then accepting his flawed record, so perhaps your blind support of Aldrich is the problem. Look at the facts my friend, if it's about lower taxes and cuts in spending then he's sold you a bag of goods and you bought all of it…. He's a tax raising big spender from CSISD, to College Station, to Brazos County.
Hittag1492
AG
PanAg83 said:

I wish you well too and I won't insult you as you did me. I'm not seeing much of a dispute to my assertions other than a personal attack, which is telling. They're inconvenient truths of which there are no simple talking points to dispute other then accepting his flawed record, so perhaps your blind support of Aldrich is the problem. Look at the facts my friend, if it's about lower taxes and cuts in spending then he's sold you a bag of goods and you bought all of it…. He's a tax raising big spender from CSISD, to College Station, to Brazos County.

I did not insult you, you are just searching for reasons to be offended. Like I said, you will never be swayed so it is pointless to "dispute" anything with you as you say. Not sure why you cannot understand that really. It is not an insult to say that. Sometimes two people clearly will not agree and there is no point in going further-very simple and certainly no insult. didn't even read your response, lol! Just wish you well.
Hittag1492
AG
PanAg83 said:

Have you really only posted 16 times or am I reading that wrong?
PanAg83
AG
You referenced me to be "singular minded and don't understand a whole lot." Perhaps I misread it as a compliment! Now you're asking how many times I've posted…. I have no idea how many times I've posted, but it's a small amount. Still…Deflection rather than addressing the point…. Seriously, give me your take, how do you consistently reason your position with Aldrich raising taxes 5 or 6 times of the last 9 budget years he's voted on a budget? Did you know that was his record? If you just like him, that's ok, but these are the facts.
deh40
AG
PanAg83 said:

You referenced me to be "singular minded and don't understand a whole lot." Perhaps I misread it as a compliment! Now you're asking how many times I've posted…. I have no idea how many times I've posted, but it's a small amount. Still…Deflection rather than addressing the point…. Seriously, give me your take, how do you consistently reason your position with Aldrich raising taxes 5 or 6 times of the last 9 budget years he's voted on a budget? Did you know that was his record? If you just like him, that's ok, but these are the facts.
Here are the tax rates since he became a commissioner. Where are the 5 or 6 times "raising taxes"?

2017. .485
2018. .485
2019. .4975
2020. .495
2021. .4935
2022. .429411
2023. .4097
Hittag1492
AG
PanAg83 said:

Saying you are being singular minded on a single topic is certainly not an insult-everyone is at times and it is only my opinion. On the rest, I specifically said I have learned long ago that there is no reason to waste time trying to sway someone who is clearly set in their mind such as you. Again not an insult as everyone is at times on this as well. You seem to feel I need to somehow justify myself to you I guess. Again, I have seen too many people like you that are steadfast in how they feel on a topic -so it is a waste of time to sway them. Then, amazingly, insist on being swayed. It is a strange paradox. I am not sure if it arrogance as in some feeling of self importance like they matter to others more than they do or they just don't see that there is no reason for others to really care enough to worry about what they think or waste their time doing something clearly pointless. None of those make sense no matter which one it is.

Either way, you harp on Aldrich being a big tax raiser but never see Nettles himself has never shown any ability to lower spending nor been in any part of government known for anything but budget bloat. Frankly, Nettles likely is a good man. Hopefully he will a good man sitting at home after the election! Either way, we all be quite fine. Now, if you understand:

Nobody has to waste their time trying sway you or prove anything to you, especially when you have clearly made up your mind.

It is not an insult if they choose not to waste their time.

Nobody dislikes you or is insulting you if they don't waste that time.

It is getting weird when someone tries numerous times to nicely basically say "good discussion, have a nice day and best wishes" but you cannot let it go.

Than all is good and, as politics should be, we both go vote for the person we prefer and respect that. I certainly have no problem with you voting for who you prefer and respect it. I wonder if you do.

In short, to be clear-I am not insulting you, I don' t really care who you vote for-all good either way, and wish you no ill will. I cannot be more clear.

Hope that helps. If not-Oh well…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.