Brazos County Commisioner races

42,252 Views | 258 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by GSS
Hittag1492
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PanAg83 said:

You referenced me to be "singular minded and don't understand a whole lot." Perhaps I misread it as a compliment! Now you're asking how many times I've posted…. I have no idea how many times I've posted, but it's a small amount. Still…Deflection rather than addressing the point…. Seriously, give me your take, how do you consistently reason your position with Aldrich raising taxes 5 or 6 times of the last 9 budget years he's voted on a budget? Did you know that was his record? If you just like him, that's ok, but these are the facts.

Wait a minute, Is this true??? From another post.
Here are the tax rates since he became a commissioner. Where are the 5 or 6 times "raising taxes"?

2017. .485
2018. .485
2019. .4975
2020. .495
2021. .4935
2022. .429411
2023. .4097
deh40
AG
Hittag1492 said:

PanAg83 said:

You referenced me to be "singular minded and don't understand a whole lot." Perhaps I misread it as a compliment! Now you're asking how many times I've posted…. I have no idea how many times I've posted, but it's a small amount. Still…Deflection rather than addressing the point…. Seriously, give me your take, how do you consistently reason your position with Aldrich raising taxes 5 or 6 times of the last 9 budget years he's voted on a budget? Did you know that was his record? If you just like him, that's ok, but these are the facts.

Here are the tax rates since he became a commissioner. Where are the 5 or 6 times "raising taxes"?

2017. .485
2018. .485
2019. .4975
2020. .495
2021. .4935
2022. .429411
2023. .4097
You don't know if it's true? You claimed he raised taxes 5 or 6 times.
Hittag1492
AG
deh40 said:

Hittag1492 said:

PanAg83 said:

2017. .485
2018. .485
2019. .4975
2020. .495
2021. .4935
2022. .429411
2023. .4097

I did???
deh40
AG
Hittag1492 said:

deh40 said:

Hittag1492 said:

PanAg83 said:

2017. .485
2018. .485
2019. .4975
2020. .495
2021. .4935
2022. .429411
2023. .4097

I did???
Story that was PanAg
Hittag1492
AG
deh40 said:

Hittag1492 said:

deh40 said:

Hittag1492 said:

PanAg83 said:

2017. .485
2018. .485
2019. .4975
2020. .495
2021. .4935
2022. .429411
2023. .4097

I did???
Story that was PanAg

All good
Old Army63
Sorry if I wasn't clear
College Station City Council
2013 .4259
2014 .4525
2015 .4626
2016 .4725

Brazos County
2017. .4850
2018 .4850
2019. .4975
2020 .4950
2021 .4935
2022 .4294
2023 .40

Aldrich voted for rate increase in 2014, 2016, 2019.

Aldrich voted for increase tax burden due to property value increases in 2018, 2020, 2021. (property values likely increased in 2015) This does'nt explore CSISD tax increases when he was on the school board.

If the tax rate is flat, increased property values increases taxes. Even if the rate is reduced, if property values are going up, then the property taxes we pay go up.

PanAg83
AG
See the post below from Old Ag, that's essentially my argument.
PanAg83
AG
Just take this as a learning opportunity: When you say someone doesn't understand a whole lot, it's an insult. Thanks for the spirited dialogue on the topic.
oldag76
AG
PanAg83 said:

So you're ok with all the tax increases for one reduction that wasn't voted on!? Sounds like someone who blindly likes Aldrich and is not following the facts. He's got a tax and spend record with one quorum break that had more to do wi th power and sticking it to Judge Peters then saving you anything on your taxes.
I think you need to look deeper at the CONTEXT rather that isolate on one item. As I recall, the other years the budgets had gone up for mostly reasons of growth that required the approval of a tax rate to cover the budgets. This past year that was not the case so Aldrich and Ford rightly stood their ground to not raise taxes when the County had not defined a need and neither Berry nor Peters could do the math with the increased appraisals the BCAD gave them. In past years they had lowered the rate but still left a cushion and built up a $100mm surplus while roads fell apart. Aldrich and ford called them out and they got Ford replaced by a popular local well known person aligned to Peters (Peters had appointed him to fill Catalena"s term upon death.)
Old Army63
I agree you need to look at the context. You can look at each of the County Budgets adopted for those years on the County web site. City council budget harder to find, but its there. Each year shows a "surplus" from 1.3 million to 6 million from the rate, not from new growth which would be in addition to that.

Aldrich all year long voted for spending that created the budget. Even the year he boycotted, he voted to approve all of the spending. The surplus that year was generated by federal funds that came down during covid with strings attached and projects approved by Aldrich that had not been completed during covid.

The real context is Aldrich is a tax and spend liberal. He's shown his true colors again and again. Standing up once for property taxes doesn't change who he is.
hereford
AG
By that criteria, all five are tax and spend liberals. And the Commissoner's Court is still bad about fixing the roads in the county.

The only question I have about the years that had a rate increase is whether or not the Court or School Board was trying to pay for some capital expenses. Not sure if that will change the poster's minf, but it might provide some perspective for the reader.
Old Army63
Can't say I disagree with the ideal of voting them all out and starting over!

I can't answer your question about why the rates went up on those particular years.

What gets me is Aldrich's Hypocrisy. He calls out other commissioners for voting for a rate that causes us to pay more taxes, all the while he has been going along with this for years . He is not a property tax champion but a chameleon who changes his colors to match whatever issue he thinks will get him attention and get re-elected. Thats why we need a change! and why I'm supporting Nettles in the run-off.

BTW great job Aggie Men's Basketball team! Whoop!
oldag76
AG
Your second sentence exposes your bias. If you don't know why someone would vote to raise taxes, then you are uninformed and just don't like someone apparently. That is perfectly okay, but just be honest.
Hittag1492
AG
oldag76 said:

Your second sentence exposes your bias. If you don't know why someone would vote to raise taxes, then you are uninformed and just don't like someone apparently. That is perfectly okay, but just be honest.

In my opinion the distinction become more obvious as you look at it and this thread has helped tremendously. Berry and Peters were the big forces on tax/spends-Peters being the ring leader. Thank goodness Berry was defeated. I have a bad feeling this side running against Aldrich throwing around toms of cash is backed by the tax/spend group heavily. I guess we will see. The big goal and end game is the defeat of Peters one day-that would turn things dramatically with the proper candidate. He has bloated things more than anyone and has ideas that live in 1995 at best in my opinion. We need someone with the education and directed skills to lead us in the right direction to help grow this area properly and Peters is not it. Time has past him by-he has chosen to stop growing.
Old Army63
I guess I am biased against increased taxes of any kind! I have to live within a budget, I think government should also.

I used to be an Aldrich supporter, but having watched him, he is just another tax and spend liberal. His history of increasing the tax rate or allowing a rate to go through when the valuations caused us to pay more property taxes is awful. To now pretend he is a property tax champion is the height of arrogance thinking the voters won't be informed and won't know what he really has done.

You seem to be biased toward supporting continued increases in property tax? Why is that?

I'm willing to give someone else a chance. After eight years on commission and being in local politics since 1996 its time for Aldrich to move on.
Brian Alg
Old Army63 said:

I used to be an Aldrich supporter
Was that on March 15?
Hittag1492
AG
Brian Alg said:

Old Army63 said:

I used to be an Aldrich supporter
Was that on March 15?
Exactly! lol.
Hittag1492
AG
Old Army63 said:

I guess I am biased against increased taxes of any kind! I have to live within a budget, I think government should also.

I used to be an Aldrich supporter, but having watched him, he is just another tax and spend liberal. His history of increasing the tax rate or allowing a rate to go through when the valuations caused us to pay more property taxes is awful. To now pretend he is a property tax champion is the height of arrogance thinking the voters won't be informed and won't know what he really has done.

You seem to be biased toward supporting continued increases in property tax? Why is that?

I'm willing to give someone else a chance. After eight years on commission and being in local politics since 1996 its time for Aldrich to move on.
Somehow I just don't feel this is genuine. maybe I am wrong. You seem biased towards half-truths and intellectual dishonesty.

In any case, as I said before-there is no swaying people who have an agenda. At least you are steadfast. You vote who you feel will lower property taxes (you truly believe that?) and I'll vote for the best candidate.

In either case-have a great day and no hard feelings, everyone has the right to vote as they please and have their say so more power to you!
Old Army63
Seems like if you don't agree with the argument you attack.

I live in PCT 1, Voted for Aldrich during the Primary, won't make that mistake again and am voting against him in the runoff.

He and his supports touted him as a champion of property taxes. Someone from my bible study told me to look at his voting history. He has repeatedly voted for tax rate increases while on city council and commissioners court. He has also voted on rates that due to valuations caused us to pay more in property taxes. Those are facts, look them up yourself.

I have never seen him take issue with an expenditure for the County. All of those meetings are recorded and I may have missed it, but not obvious.

During early voting for the primary, Aldrich in the Feb 24th commissioner workshop asked about creating a special road tax! If we have a 100 million cash reserve for the county, why do we need a new tax? We don't need a new tax, we need new leadership, why I'm voting against Aldrich in the runoff!
deh40
AG
Old Army63 said:

I live in PCT 1, Voted for Aldrich during the Primary, won't make that mistake again and am voting against him in the runoff.

He and his supports touted him as a champion of property taxes. Someone from my bible study told me to look at his voting history. He has repeatedly voted for tax rate increases while on city council and commissioners court. He has also voted on rates that due to valuations caused us to pay more in property taxes. Those are facts, look them up yourself.

I have never seen him take issue with an expenditure for the County. All of those meetings are recorded and I may have missed it, but not obvious.

During early voting for the primary, Aldrich in the Feb 24th commissioner workshop asked about creating a special road tax! If we have a 100 million cash reserve for the county, why do we need a new tax? We don't need a new tax, we need new leadership, why I'm voting against Aldrich in the runoff!
Since you definitively state he voted for tax increases, do you know how many times he voted against the proposed tax rate?

New leadership? You mean a candidate handpicked and financially backed by the Peters team to be a rubber stamp for whatever the Judge wants. That doesn't sound "new" to me.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
Old Army63 said:

All of your statements are against Aldrich. Nothing for the other candidate. So you're assuming the devil we don't know is an improvement over the one we do?

Not an assumption I'm willing to make.
Old Army63
The number of times Aldrich voted against tax increases is a matter of record. Twice as far as I can tell. But the fact that he is asking about the authority of the county to impose a new tax, to me shows his true colors.

Hand picked? Backed financially? Do you have any facts to back that up with?
Old Army63
Yes, I felt betrayed by Aldrich and his supporters. I believed what they were saying until it was pointed out that they were being untruthful.

I've only since the primary began researching Nettles. What is clear is that he was hand picked by Governor Abbott to turn around TABC and even the Governor's harshest critic, the Texas Tribune thought Nettles had done a good job of turning around that state agency and implementing needed changes. I think he deserves a chance to try that here in Brazos County.

Nettles has a web page and you can email and phone him. If you have questions call him. He came by my house. Neither of the other candidates did. That should have convinced me during the primary, but I wont be fooled again by made up stories! Do the research and vote in the runoff.
doubledog
Will there be a none of the above on the ballot? Cause that will get my vote, now and in November.
etj77845
In reviewing both candidates couple of things pop out.

1. Mr. Nettles appears to be imminently qualified to supervise a JAG command and qualified to administer a statewide agency. We do not have a history of being in the legislative role.
2. Mr Nettles' campaign finance reports are revealing http://cf.vistasg.com/BrazosCo/ . The gentleman has quite a collection of current and former Bryan city politicos, serving members of Commissioner's Court and former members of both the state and federal legislatures as financial supporters. While this is not necessarily sinister it does beg the question of being beholding to two votes on Commissioner's court.
3. Mr. Aldrich appears to be immensely qualified to serve in local governmental jobs, appointed or elected.
4. Mr. Aldrich does have the reputation of bucking the county political elite. Whether this helps or hinders his reputation I leave to you, but it indicates a willingness to g rogue, if necessary. I find no yellow flags in Aldrich's financial reports- rather boring reading.

Now I have never spoken to Nettles and only had 2-3 conversations with Aldrich, on county business. If either one were to meet me on the street, I'd not recognize them.

Tailgate88
AG
Bentley Nettles knocked on my door yesterday to remind us to vote in the run-off election. This is the second time he has come by. After reviewing his record and history I believe him to be a man of great integrity who truly wants to serve his community.

I asked him if he had seen this thread and he said he had not, but had heard about it. I asked him several questions about some of the accusations on here and he answered them all. He also mentioned the numerous times that Mr. Aldrich has voted to raise taxes, and that "didn't seem like something a fiscal conservative would do."

He shared that he has been talking to many voters and reaching out to as many people as possible, so please do contact him directly if you have any concerns.

I believe politics should not turn into a career, as Mr. Aldrich has seemingly done. Mr. Nettles has served his country in the armed forces, and done a fine job of turning around a state agency. Now he would like to serve his local community. He has my vote.
Old Army63
Aldrich was first elected locally in 1996, doesn't that make him the political elite?
kccount
Maybe link Aldrich finance report
Why can't he raise money ? I concur, with the previous post that Aldrich has been in local politics since 1996 he is the definition of the political elite
Why doesn't Aldrich have endorsements on his web site
He's been in local office all that time why isn't anyone stepping up and saying he's doing a good job?
etj77845
Perhaps more of an e-lite, certainly not one of the anointed. You know Nettles would make an excellent candidate for County Judge!!! Wonder why he didn't choose to make this his mission?
Brian Alg
Tailgate88 said:

I asked him several questions about some of the accusations on here and he answered them all.
Did you ask him about the sting fiasco and his "no wrongdoing" statement?

I figure it isn't a central issue most anyone voting this race. But I am curious since I spent a lot of time digging into that one.
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government
Tailgate88
AG
I didn't, but you should reach out to him. He was very forthcoming with his responses to my questions
Brian Alg
Did he give you an email address or something? I do not see one on his website.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
Brian Alg said:

Did he give you an email address or something? I do not see one on his website.

Most politicians won't put anything in writing so they can spin the answer a different way to a different audience. Spoken word can be explained away as misunderstanding.
Old Army63
Since Nettles has never held public office not sure he's a politician like Aldrich.

It may be generational thing, but I like to talk to people either over the phone or in person so I can judge for myself . Instead emails get passed around and everyone gives their opinion and interpretation. In person I can ask follow up questions, with an email I have to make assumptions about the answer to those questions.
Hittag1492
AG
Old Army63 said:

Since Nettles has never held public office not sure he's a politician like Aldrich.

It may be generational thing, but I like to talk to people either over the phone or in person so I can judge for myself . Instead emails get passed around and everyone gives their opinion and interpretation. In person I can ask follow up questions, with an email I have to make assumptions about the answer to those questions.

One easy thing to ask all candidates-if they would answer honestly-would be simply "do you believe in the direction Judge Peters has helped (forced) lead the county in his tenure, especially recently. If anyone hesitates or says yes, it is an easy and automatic disqualification. No idea how Nettles feels on the subject. But an honest answer would be telling either way for any candidate in my opinion.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.