Brazos County Commisioner races

42,318 Views | 258 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by GSS
PanAg83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's all part of open and transparent government in my mind, maybe it's not a big deal to some…
Hittag1492
AG
PanAg83 said:

I have concerns about someone that had an $843,000 (a summary of the standing of this judgement is available through the Federal Court System) judgement brought against them that abruptly resigned from the state house for no apparent reason other then possibly preserving his retirement benefits as part of a settlement when many other public officials resigned to avoid prosecution. I don't trust someone like that getting close to our public tax dollars. That is really concerning to me, concerning enough for me to share what I know. A blog covered it in salado. Another place that he up and resigned abruptly.

https://m.facebook.com/sunshine4salado/posts/an-843000-federal-court-ordered-judgment-on-salado-mayor-pro-tem-fred-brownnot-o/1613866858674810/

Then just say so instead of posting silly innuendos. We are all big boys here and can take it. You have said similar things before already so this is no surprise. Is this something he is required to file? If so, I assume he will or he won't be able to run/be elected. If not, then that is his choice and voters can decide how they see it. You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I do respect that.

My opinion is Berry mismanaged infinitely larger amounts of taxpayer money by the completely inept manner in which she assisted in mismanaging the entire path of the City of College Station-whether that be schools, utilities, the A&M relationship and both types and locations of businesses attracted to the area as well as the ridiculous plans allowed for urban planning. The millions wasted there then/now and in the future is likely incalculable… just my opinion.
PanAg83
AG
You're also entitled to yours, which I respect. I'm raising questions to see if anyone else has seen this and if anyone else is troubled by this. If not, no big deal right? Perhaps many in this group find $843,000 federal judgments, as common place. I guess I felt like that was a big deal that Mr. Brown fraudulently represented value to consumers, and to Mitsubishi, who sought the judgement. How in the world could we expect him to not do the same as an elected official once again in Brazos County.

With regard to his finance reports, I guess it's a nominal sin. Filed with the Texas ethics commission he would face some level of punitive fines, but nothing in the fear of having to pay a significant settlement like the Mitsubishi. Hope this is not inclusive of innuendo. They are spaced at various intervals and I'm bringing this to our attention because almost every other person seeking office in our county has turned those in in a timely manner. Why not Fred? It's just it's. For the sake of transparency, late is always better than never.

Hittag1492
AG
PanAg83 said:

You're also entitled to yours, which I respect. I'm raising questions to see if anyone else has seen this and if anyone else is troubled by this. If not, no big deal right? Perhaps many in this group find $843,000 federal judgments, as common place. I guess I felt like that was a big deal that Mr. Brown fraudulently represented value to consumers, and to Mitsubishi, who sought the judgement. How in the world could we expect him to not do the same as an elected official once again in Brazos County.

With regard to his finance reports, I guess it's a nominal sin. Filed with the Texas ethics commission he would face some level of punitive fines, but nothing in the fear of having to pay a significant settlement like the Mitsubishi. Hope this is not inclusive of innuendo. They are spaced at various intervals and I'm bringing this to our attention because almost every other person seeking office in our county has turned those in in a timely manner. Why not Fred? It's just it's. For the sake of transparency, late is always better than never.

I can see your concern. I just feel mine is just as real and far more important overall as referenced by the impact both short and long term. I actually think Berry was good at a far lower level of politics when the cities were much smaller. She has clearly been in over her head for a long time and now exceptionally so. It is time for that to end.

Not that I expect it. People vote with their hearts and for the familiar quite often without looking at the actual past results-in her case that record over time is undeniably bad long term. It goes unnoticed in an area where the economy and at least solid growth are almost a guarantee. The potential is there for so much more and she is limited.
taxpreparer
AG
I am not particularly concerned. I personally know of two (not current commissioners) who failed to file federal tax returns for several years while acting as commissioners. Personal debts are personal.
Reload84
Sad! Nothing like an 11th hour attempted "hit job" to try and disparage a candidate. Shows the true colors of the other side. My family already voted for Fred Brown during early voting last week. The shenanigans of the last 24 hours strengthen my view that we made the right choice!

Here's Fred Brown's response from his Facebook page:

"I have stated in my candidate forums that I had to resign from the legislature after the 7th session because I was flat broke. We moved to Salado as my former partner hired me to work at one of his dealerships. Later I resigned from the Salado alderman to move back to College Station where Janes mother was in bad health. Also our daughters and grandchildren are here. I also at one time had a judgement against myself and Fred Bayliss. That has been totally paid and released. My credit score is 835. Sometimes life does not go as planned but by the grace of God, we came out on the other side. It's the last few days before the election and my opponent likes to play dirty. I won't have any part of it. All the years I served you as mayor pro tem and later as state representative, I served you with honesty and integrity. If elected, I will do the same ."

I'm confident a candidate with real life business experience (the ups and downs) will bring credibility and clarity to the Brazos County Commissioner's Court. This is why as a businessperson working hard each day to make ends meet, I'm supporting Fred Brown for Precinct 3 and Steve Aldrich for reelection to Precinct 1. They are the only two candidates who are independent thinkers who will work on behalf of taxpayers to hold the line on the amount of taxes we pay. They are in touch with the trials and tribulations of average folks like me. They are not beholden to the tax-and-spend machine in Brazos County which constantly wants to collect more taxes than necessary--- and squirrel away millions of dollars which could be better used in the pockets of families like mine.

How people handle adversity is a true window into their integrity and character.

If you have not yet voted make plans to vote smart on Tuesday for Fred Brown for Precinct 3 and to reelect Steve Aldrich for Precinct 1.

Prayers for all the candidates and their families.
MonsterMash13
What I appreciate about Fred Brown, is his transparency in all his dealings. He doesn't have to lie, or bend the truth to get votes. He tells it like it is, as he has nothing to hide. I know him personally, and he is the very same way both as a friend and church member. He had a bit more to say today on his Facebook page, in which I wanted to share.

"Besides being a better steward of the tax payers dollars, I want to bring unity to the commissioners court and bring mutual respect for each other's opinions. Also I want to bring transparency to all of the inter workings of the commissioners court. Let's make this happen!"

MonsterMash13
What I appreciate about Fred Brown, is his transparency in all his dealings. He doesn't have to lie, or bend the truth to get votes. He tells it like it is, as he has nothing to hide. I know him personally, and he is the very same way both as a friend and church member. He had a bit more to say today on his Facebook page, in which I wanted to share.

"Besides being a better steward of the tax payers dollars, I want to bring unity to the commissioners court and bring mutual respect for each other's opinions. Also I want to bring transparency to all of the inter workings of the commissioners court. Let's make this happen!"
PanAg83
AG
Haha! Not so much, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I can agree to pray for the candidates and their families.
legalbird
Here is what I found interesting. Two candidates identify as Republican, however, knowing what I know, I always thought they were Democrats.
Hittag1492
AG
legalbird said:

Here is what I found interesting. Two candidates identify as Republican, however, knowing what I know, I always thought they were Democrats.

Which 2 legalbird? Not arguing and I will nit attack you as it clearly is simply your opinion/ initial reaction, but it is interesting to know nonetheless if you don't mind sharing. I won't comment in any way.
oldag76
AG
When you are a small business owner lots of things can happen. I had a 51/49 partner who pulled all kinds of shenanigans that he never told me about, flat out lied on many. Was a preacher's son and Baylor grad. I ended up having a judgement against me as his partner that I had nothing to do with. Live and learn. Fred is obviously transparent about his issues, and I find your supposition and innuendo towards him with out full research to closely resemble a "political hit job"
PanAg83
AG
Well, that's awful and I'm sorry you went through that. As a small business owner myself, I understand bad partnerships and had to get out of one as well, but I guess I would think there is still some complicity. I certainly have learned along the way from experiences. With Fred though, it is one after the other. Mitsubishi, Fred Brown Fun Center with family members, and evidently something in Salado. I just think folks need to be aware of it and consider the pattern of behavior. If you're ok with it, then publicize it, condone it, and vote for him. It's a truthful statement that this exists on his record, not a hit job. It's transparency and accountability.
toolshed
AG
Seems as though some sanity has prevailed in the commissioners races. Let's hope this is a solid first step to some conservatism and lower taxation on the commissioner's court.

And let's hope Chuck will lean back to his conservative voting and not just be a rubber stamp for Peters.
woodiewood
oldag76 said:

When you are a small business owner lots of things can happen. I had a 51/49 partner who pulled all kinds of shenanigans that he never told me about, flat out lied on many. Was a preacher's son and Baylor grad. I ended up having a judgement against me as his partner that I had nothing to do with. Live and learn. Fred is obviously transparent about his issues, and I find your supposition and innuendo towards him with out full research to closely resemble a "political hit job"
Yep. You never know until something happens. Years ago I was a partner in a business with a Aggie who was a friend of mine for 30 years until he was doing illegal things that might have got me in federal prison. I dissolved the association and took a big financial hit.

That's why I smile when I hear advertisements where the owner states, "....and we are Aggies too."

A Net Full of Jello
AG
With a runoff for precinct one, do you think the Karl Mooney people are more like to vote Nettles or Aldrich?
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
A Net Full of Jello said:

With a runoff for precinct one, do you think the Karl Mooney people are more like to vote Nettles or Aldrich?
I think Nettles if they do come back out to vote in the run-off.
Reload84
From KBTX- Big money at play in Pct 1 race. Interesting?

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/03/07/campaign-finances-potential-impact-local-commissioner-races/
befitter
Mr.Short-termMemory said:

Hopefully
EBrazosAg
AG
Wonder how this result might influence the odds of the YMCA?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
oldag76
AG
Reload84 said:

From KBTX- Big money at play in Pct 1 race. Interesting?

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/03/07/campaign-finances-potential-impact-local-commissioner-races/
Not surprised. Nettles campaign started with a combined event with Nancy Berry and the County Judge. Was clear from the beginning they were out to get Aldrich like they did with Russ Ford, so they could control the vote. Hopefully a majority of Mooney's vote was AGAINST Nettles and will move ti Aldrich. However since Nettles spent about 3x per vote to Aldrich, unless his money backers shy away, its clear he will try to buy the election.
Tibbers
It's simple then. Aldrich is the guy. 107k for this seat has got to come with some mega strings attached, right?

That versus the known quantity in Aldrich. I like lower taxes and individual liberty, don't you?
Brian Alg
Is that because Mooney and Nettles are both advocates of higher taxes to beef up the General Fund?
Hittag1492
AG
befitter said:

Hopefully

You have got to be joking. Nettles is the classic corporate paid for candidate. How could you think there would be no strings attached to that? He spent 102k and Aldrich 14k. Wake up my friend. Do you have some skin in that game by chance? Why the Nettles love? Convince me/maybe I am wrong?
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
Brian Alg said:

Is that because Mooney and Nettles are both advocates of higher taxes to beef up the General Fund?
More because they both ran against the incumbent than any policy issues. If both want Aldrich out, I see the supporters on the same side regardless of the reasons why.
woodiewood
The good ol' boy network doesn't want Aldrich to win again as he bucks the system and tries to be accountable to the taxpapers. The two questions that all government officials should ask themselves before spending a dime, One, "is it is needed" and "If I was spending a significant of my own money, should it be spent."

At least we got arid of Berry and Mooney. That's a good thing. I suspect the city will hire Mooney to manage the city's Macy's building that the city bought under his watch.

TAMU1990
AG
Voting for Aldrich again
befitter
Hittag1492 said:

befitter said:

Hopefully

You have got to be joking. Nettles is the classic corporate paid for candidate. How could you think there would be no strings attached to that? He spent 102k and Aldrich 14k. Wake up my friend. Do you have some skin in that game by chance? Why the Nettles love? Convince me/maybe I am wrong?It
It's actually quite simple....if you don't show up to vote and do your job....you don't get my vote. Aldrich didn't show up so I won't vote for him. I need not convince you of anything. If you wish to vote for Aldrich, you are free to do so.
Hittag1492
AG
befitter said:

Hittag1492 said:

befitter said:

Hopefully

You have got to be joking. Nettles is the classic corporate paid for candidate. How could you think there would be no strings attached to that? He spent 102k and Aldrich 14k. Wake up my friend. Do you have some skin in that game by chance? Why the Nettles love? Convince me/maybe I am wrong?It
It's actually quite simple....if you don't show up to vote and do your job....you don't get my vote. Aldrich didn't show up so I won't vote for him. I need not convince you of anything. If you wish to vote for Aldrich, you are free to do so.

He "didn't show up" as you say, to stop the to politicians who just got voted out from doingthe obviously ridiculous thing they were trying to do and had been doing for years. The tired mantra you just repeated is actually what makes him great. The only people it angered were the old school cronies and the elites like Berry and Mooney and Peters who have no regard for the people Nd cater yo their friends and donors exclusively.

It is what cost Mooney and Berry their jobs-maybe you should take notice. If that is all you have to say-you just basically made a political Ad for Aldrich, lol. And likely don't even realize it. Everyone has a tight to their opinion, I am glad the people spoke on the how lost Berry and Mooney had become and left their constituents behind. Let's hope they speak again and end the career of another budding bureaucrat a end the political aspirations of Nettles now.

One last question-the 104k Nettles spent doesn't bother you AT ALL? Or did you give him a big chunk of that maybe? I wonder how many of those donors aren't millionaires? Interesting questions.

No answers needed. All should vote for who they prefer. I am Aldrich and I hope others follow what happened with Berry and Mooney and don't fall for the smoke and mirrors.
befitter
Hittag1492 said:

befitter said:

Hittag1492 said:

befitter said:

Hopefully

He "didn't show up" as you say, to stop the to politicians who just got voted out from doingthe obviously ridiculous thing they were trying to do and had been doing for years. The tired mantra you just repeated is actually what makes him great. The only people it angered were the old school cronies and the elites like Berry and Mooney and Peters who have no regard for the people Nd cater yo their friends and donors exclusively.

It is what cost Mooney and Berry their jobs-maybe you should take notice. If that is all you have to say-you just basically made a political Ad for Aldrich, lol. And likely don't even realize it. Everyone has a tight to their opinion, I am glad the people spoke on the how lost Berry and Mooney had become and left their constituents behind. Let's hope they speak again and end the career of another budding bureaucrat a end the political aspirations of Nettles now.

One last question-the 104k Nettles spent doesn't bother you AT ALL? Or did you give him a big chunk of that maybe? I wonder how many of those donors aren't millionaires? Interesting questions
Clearly you find all of this upsetting. No donations...sorry to disappoint. You may want to consider not stressing so much over this stuff.
Tibbers
Higher taxes it is, best not to fret about it, right?
Hittag1492
AG
befitter said:

Hittag1492 said:

befitter said:

Hittag1492 said:

befitter said:

Hopefully

One last question-the 104k Nettles spent doesn't bother you AT ALL? Or did you give him a big chunk of that maybe? I wonder how many of those donors aren't millionaires? Interesting questions
Clearly you find all of this upsetting. No donations...sorry to disappoint. You may want to consider not stressing so much over this stuff.

Stress? Why would I stress my friend. I am already 2 out of 3. I find when people go to silly comebacks like that they are the ones that are frustrated for some reason-and you did it so quickly you did not get to read my edit, which makes you look more foolish. To end on a kind note, I do wish you my best. Although I do hope your candidate loses like your other 3 already have, I do not wish ill on you in any way. Hopefully that ends all your worry about my stress level my friend, lol. I do appreciate the concern so thank you.
taxpreparer
AG
woodiewood said:

The good ol' boy network doesn't want Aldrich to win again as he bucks the system and tries to be accountable to the taxpapers. The two questions that all government officials should ask themselves before spending a dime, One, "is it is needed" and "If I was spending a significant of my own money, should it be spent."

At least we got arid of Berry and Mooney. That's a good thing. I suspect the city will hire Mooney to manage the city's Macy's building that the city bought under his watch.

Add a third question: "Is it the governments responsibility to do this?"
davido
AG
woodiewood said:

The good ol' boy network doesn't want Aldrich to win again

When 55% choose other than the incumbent, either the good ol' boy network has grown, or they're not the only ones that aren't interested.

woodiewood said:

The two questions that all government officials should ask themselves before spending a dime, One, "is it is needed" and "If I was spending a significant of my own money, should it be spent."

That was a well timed comment after just reading the KBTX article…

"When I look at the way government works, I focus on how we best spend taxpayer dollars, treating it like your own, making sure you're getting the best value for the money. That will reduce the pressure on the need for property taxes," said Nettles.

woodiewood
taxpreparer said:

woodiewood said:

Add a third question: "Is it the governments responsibility to do this?"
Not sure what of my comment you are referring to, but if it's the purchase of the Macy's, a huge NO. Government should not be in the real estate business. The only real estate it should be purchasing is property it intends to use itself either in the short or long term.

We have many competent commercial real estate agents who can manage a sale of real estate.

Now, with the city's purchase of the Macy's and A&M leasing it, the city has not only taken about $5,000,000 of real property off the tax rolls, but also a significant amount of BPP also off the tax roles.

Smart move.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.