South College Station Water Tower

25,166 Views | 185 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by nwspmp
scd88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seems like the paint job for the Rock Prairie water tower was never completed. Tan on top, primer/unfinished grey "panels" on the bottom.
Tailgate88
AG
scd88 said:

Seems like the paint job for the Rock Prairie water tower was never completed. Tan on top, primer/unfinished grey "panels" on the bottom.

I had the same thought. Water Chick, are they done?
BQ_90
AG
scd88 said:

Grey panels are concrete aren't they?
Bob Yancy
scd88 said:

The lower portion of the new Rock Prairie tower is concrete and not painted, nor will it be. This saves dramatically compared to painted steel like the older Tower Point water tower being worked on now.

Respectfully-
scd88
AG
Sounds right. I didn't want to assume what the material was.
scd88
AG
Thanks for the response. You've likely heard this before but it's a terrible look.

maroon barchetta
scd88 said:

Bagel!!!! Not tan!!!!
scd88
AG
That's a new one to me. What, plain bagel? Wheat?
Bob Yancy
scd88 said:

Thanks for the response. You've likely heard this before but it's a terrible look.

Yes I have heard it a lot. I think it's a subjective thing. I think it looks like, well, a new water tower. When I look at the Rock Prairie tower I also see a significant tax dollar savings compared to the required rehab going on with the Tower Point water tower. Too much money to maintain all that steel. My $.02

Respectfully
scd88
AG
I'm glad there's a significant savings but not having the same build for the new water tower; I just think the cost of having it look uniform should have been considered. We ban ugly billboards (which I'm a fan of) yet we are OK with a water tower that looks unfinished.
Bob Yancy
scd88 said:

I'm glad there's a significant savings but not having the same build for the new water tower; I just think the cost of having it look uniform should have been considered. We ban ugly billboards (which I'm a fan of) yet we are OK with a water tower that looks unfinished.

Well I think your opinion is well represented among many and certainly not rare- I don't begrudge your position on the matter, it's just not one I share. (You've got me researching evolving water tower technology and cost reduction techniques.) i don't have the time this morning so for now, I surrender. ;-)
Another Doug
AG
Texags in a nutshell….

You shouldn't waste tax payer money on making a water tower look ascetically pleasing, but I'm going to be so mad if you don't.
happyinBCS
Agree 1000%

Geeze
curry97
AG
I never realized that people put that much emphasis or concern on what a water tower should look like. Amazing.
waterchick
Tailgate88 said:

scd88 said:

Whoops, I thought I had responded to this question. The Rock Prairie water tower, just like the tower on Holleman behind HEB, is a composite elevated style water tower. The only part that is painted is the bowl at the top. Bryan has one like that and I believe Wellborn's new tower is a composite elevated as well.

The tower on Fitch is a hydropillar. Those are all steel, and they are painted top to bottom. The tower on main campus is a hydropillar also and it is also painted top to bottom.

Hope that helps!
maroon barchetta
scd88 said:

That's a new one to me. What, plain bagel? Wheat?

techno-ag
AG
The problem with these newfangled water towers is young Romeos can't express their love like they used to.

In John Deere Green
On a hot summer night
He wrote Billy Bob loves Charlene
In letters 3 foot high

And the whole town said
That he should have used red
But it looked good to Charlene
In John Deere Green

- Joe Diffie
Hornbeck
Can we just stop with the home/birthplace/official party venue of Texas A&M?

Next thing you know, they'll be building $85k Instagram props that are too big to be actually used as an Instagram prop.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
I told my daughter that I'd relay her request.

She's asking that we add some pink paint to the tower along with a couple of unicorns too.
waterchick
I make no promises but I can ask if a unicorn can be snuck into the final design.
techno-ag
AG
waterchick said:

I make no promises but I can ask if a unicorn can be snuck into the final design.
This ain't New Braunfels.
Stupe
S
scd88 said:

It's become an Aggie joke.
Stupe
S
I do love these threads.

Someone makes a thread.
Posters immediately get mad and act like the city is just looking for ways to waste money.

Wait a little bit.

Someone that actually knows something explains why it's getting done.

Crickets from the angry crowd.

Tailgate88
AG
waterchick said:

Tailgate88 said:

scd88 said:

Whoops, I thought I had responded to this question. The Rock Prairie water tower, just like the tower on Holleman behind HEB, is a composite elevated style water tower. The only part that is painted is the bowl at the top. Bryan has one like that and I believe Wellborn's new tower is a composite elevated as well.

The tower on Fitch is a hydropillar. Those are all steel, and they are painted top to bottom. The tower on main campus is a hydropillar also and it is also painted top to bottom.

Hope that helps!
I'll take a concrete water tower that doesn't need a $2M paint job if we can have a few more baseball fields and frisbee golf courses.
waterchick
Baseball fields and frisbee golf are General Fund. Water, Wastewater, Electric, and Sanitation are Enterprise Funds (generate revenue through providing service). So, spending money on recreation facilities doesn't impact funding for water infrastructure, and vice versa.
ElephantRider
AG
Another Doug said:

Texags in a nutshell….

You shouldn't waste tax payer money on making a water tower look ascetically pleasing, but I'm going to be so mad if you don't.

I was going to post this. Same poster would probably be angry if it had been painted and they found out that there was an increase in cost because of it
SARATOGA
I LOL'd
SARATOGA
Quote:

The best part of that image is that the water tower itself is on it

That water tower is a cocky son of a ...
SARATOGA
Quote:

Another Doug said:
Texags in a nutshell….

Speaking of infrastructure, [Please find that thread and reply on that one. Thank you. -Staff]
doubledog
Can College Station claim to be the "first" home of Aggieland? Maybe that could go somewhere on the water tower.
doubledog

[Thread derail removed. -Staff]
Independence H-D
SARATOGA said:

Quote:

The best part of that image is that the water tower itself is on it

That water tower is a cocky son of a ...

It probably speaks about itself in third person.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Primer is on
maybe we will know the color this week

hope it's white
EliteElectric
aggiepaintrain said:

Primer is on

hope it's white
aggiepaintrain
AG
EliteElectric said:

aggiepaintrain said:

Primer is on

hope it's white

you think they can fit "Home of Median City" as well?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.