Metroplex
Sponsored by

It's Election Time...The OJ Primary Guide!!

4,129 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by DannyDuberstein
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, here we are again. ELECTION TIME. So, under much duress, Bill's Election Guide (strictly for entertainment purposes). Lost in the nonsense that is the Presidential Primaries, where an elderly man with numerous legal issues, dangerous foreign policy statements, and a complete lack of moral character is certain to face off against an even more elderly man who clearly doesn't have the mental faculties to do the job (not to mention his own questionable scruples) is the….

TEXAS REPUBLICAN CIVIL WAR! Greg Abbott and Ken Paxton have decided to quit playing nicely and are squaring off against each other for the mantel of True Courageously Conservatively Conservative Leader of Texas. Abbott is still stinging from the rejection of any voucher program, and Paxton want revenge against those who had the audacity to think the AG shouldn't violate the law. To put it very simply, in my mind, if Paxton has thrown his size 6 boots behind someone in your district, vote for the other guy.

But since we must, down the ballot we go! I will, as per usual, focus on the GOP ballot, with a couple Democrat races thrown in for fun.

President: Nikki. No question. I won't belabor the point. Dems, please think about Dean Phillips.

US Senate: Ted Cruz is up again, this time against a 77 year old and an 82 year old. Not kidding. Ted needs to feel uncomfortable, but this primary is a joke. I'm leaving it blank.

Dems…good luck. I was in Allred's district for 4 years before getting gerrymandered and was not impressed in the least.

US 24…Van Dunye is running unopposed and is showing it. No mailers featuring Trump, motorcycles, or hot pants. #sad

US 32 (Allred's seat)…this should be a prime opportunity for Republicans to take back the seat…but their field isn't very inspiring. I suppose David Blewett, who was a decent single term Dallas Council member. The Dem field is a mess; there will be a runoff in all likelihood.

Railroad…DMN doesn't make a recommendation…Houston Chronical recommends James Matlock. Craddick, the incumbent, will probably win, as incumbents typically do. I guess I'll vote Matlock to keep up my MLB Batting MVP level numbers.

TX Supreme Court Place 4…Brian Walker. Devine, the incumbent, "missed 17 of 34 oral arguments between September and December last year, …(and has) already missed 11 of the 16 oral arguments held in January and February. Don't do your job, don't get reelected.

Criminal Court of Appeals, Presiding Judge…David Schenck. Keller, the incumbent, is enjoying playing politics more than being an impartial judge. Time for new blood.

Court of Criminal Appeals, Place 7…Barbara Hervey. Hervey is the incumbent, apparently does a good job, and her opponent is backed by Paxton.

Court of Criminal Appeals, Place 8…Michelle Slaughter. Slaughter is the incumbent, apparently does a good job, and her opponent is backed by Paxton. Hey, is there an echo?

Interestingly, no GOP challenger for Texas Senate 16. On the Dem side, Nathan Johnson is getting pressured from his left by Rep Victoria Neave Criado. Johnson is quite a bit further left for my moderate tastes, but is smart and reportedly listens well to constituents concerns, especially regarding schools. Vote for him.

Texas House 108…our front row seat for the TEXAS REPUBLICAN CIVIL WAR!!!! Our incumbent rep Morgan Meyer is getting challenged hard from the (far far) right. The ads, which I've featured before, are equally pathetic and disgusting. Barry Wernick should be embarrassed for approving them, and any supporting him should be equally embarrassed. Meyer is far from perfect. I'm not sure he can find his way out of the Park Cities with a paper map, GSP, and private driver. But there really isn't a question here.

The dem side features perennial candidate Elizabeth Ginsberg against Yasmin Simon. Either will receive 42% of the vote in November.

Dallas County GOP Chair…wanna blow up the local GOP apparatus? Here is your chance! Allen West, who has left every office he's had weaker than where he found it, continues to move downward. His next step will undoubtably be local dog catcher. I really don't know anything about Jennifer Hajdu, the incumbent, other than she has to be super excited to have a proven horrible opponent with HUGE name recognition.

The LOL worthy GOP ballot measures will be in the comments.
Ol Jock 99
AG
TL/DR:
President: Nikki (GOP), Phillips (Dem)
US Senate: (blank) GOP
US 32: Blewett
Railroad: Matlock (I guess)
TXSC Place 4: Walker
CCA Presiding: Schenck
CCA Place 7: Hervey
CCA Place 8: Slaughter
TX Senate 16: Johnson (Dem)
Texas House 108: Meyer
Dallas GOP Chair: Hajdu (I guess)
Ol Jock 99
AG
GOP Ballot Props….or "Just how dumb does the State GOP think we are" (answer: very)

I'm going to vote no on most of these out of spite, just to be perfectly honest. But hey, let's go down the ballot!

Prop 1: Kill property tax with no alternative. Bye bye schools. NO.

Prop 2: Create our own border patrol, which is contrary to US law. Look, the border is a HUGE issue, but the place to solve it isn't here. NO.

Prop 3: Require the use of E-Verify for all employers. Honestly, this one shocked me. Texas republicans are wanting federal oversight? Still, NO.

Prop 4: We hate illegal immigrants and we are going to say it loudly. NO.

Prop 5: More we hate illegal immigrants. NO.

Prop 6: We don't understand how the armed forces work. NO.

Prop 7: Weird one….I assume this is an attempt to form a Texas currency on the gold standard? NO.

Prop 8: Antivax. NO.

Prop 9: We want registered political parties. HARD NO.

Prop 10: Give Paxton more power. NO.

Prop 11: Vouchers. As I've talked about before, I'd be much more pro-vouchers if 1) our schools were properly funded and 2) the real reason wasn't a far right plan to destroy public ed. But, here we are… BLANK or NO.

Prop 12: Proof of citizenship to vote. I worked the 2020 election, where ID was required. We did not turn a single person away for lack of proper ID. This is a solution needing a problem. NO.

Prop 13: Ban the sale of Texas land to anyone, person or entity, from China/Iran/NK/Russia. Ok, this one is interesting. Unfortunately, I can't find much info other than the plain text. Doesn't this mean state-owned land? Then support. Private property? As much as I'd like to support, I can't. Small government and all. So….BLANK
Hincemm
AG
Every time I've heard Dean Phillips, I've been impressed.

I for sure do not agree on many of his stances, but he is the most reasonable candidate (you get to define reason ) in the presidential candidate pool right meow.

standing by to edit this post once someone flames me...
Ol Jock 99
AG
Agree 100%. Thus he must be stopped at all costs.
chick79
AG
What are your thoughts on RFK Junior as an Independent?
Ol Jock 99
AG
chick79 said:

What are your thoughts on RFK Junior as an Independent?
I think he's a quack. A quack with the occasional interesting idea, but a quack nevertheless.

Who does he hurt more? No idea.

I still have tiny hopes that No Labels shows some life, but they really better get in gear. Clock is ticking.
Wes97
AG
Well to start with, I should say that I appreciate all the work you put into this.

Based on some of your recommendations, it seems that I can make it easy on myself and just vote the opposite of your recommendations. Cuts down on some of my research time.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I'm up for friendly debate.
Wes97
AG
Well for starters, I agree that Paxton is a scumbag. But since almost every politician at that level is a crook …. I tend to just focus on what their policies are and ignore any of their personal shortcomings.

You seem to vote against anyone that has any connection to Paxton. I can't throw too many stones at that thought process as I tend to do the same thing with anyone that has any connections to the Bush clan.
cadetjay02
AG
Up here in east Collin County, Krooked Ken is somehow endorsing both new candidates in an effort to primary the incumbent who voted for his impeachment. I agree with OP in supporting anyone that is opposed by Paxton.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I'm hearing from friends in US 32 (which I am no longer in, cause Gerrymandering) that if you are voting in the Dem primary, Julie Johnson is a solid pick.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I would place Paxton in a significantly highly level of corruption compared to the average politician. I talked on separate occasions with a US House member from East Texas and a former State GOP director...both said the same. Paxton is the most corrupt politician Texas has seen in generations...and yes, that is saying something.

I am supporting David Schenck for CCA Presiding and Paxton is backing him. Blind squirrel finds a nut.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

I'm hearing from friends in US 32 (which I am no longer in, cause Gerrymandering) that if you are voting in the Dem primary, Julie Johnson is a solid pick.
Unfortunately, I was not Gerrymandered and remain in 32. I still blame Pet Sessions for screwing up the district.

And what does Pete do? He rents a post office box in Waco and wins the office that includes College Station,

Since Allred is running for the Senate, does that mean he will give up his seat?

Ol Jock 99
AG
Correct, Allred isn't running for House again.
FightinTAC08
AG
came across this gem when researching candidates.

Ol Jock 99
AG
Wow. There's a lot to unpack there.
double aught
AG
Just tell me who I need to blame for this RISD school closure fiasco, so I'll know who to vote against.
Ol Jock 99
AG
double aught said:

Just tell me who I need to blame for this RISD school closure fiasco, so I'll know who to vote against.

What fiasco? We have too many elementarys. Something has to give.
jackrabbit
AG
cadetjay02 said:

I agree with OP in supporting anyone that is opposed by Paxton.
this 100%. I am a lifelong conservative (although admittedly moderate compared to today's extremists). I'll vote for anyone running against Paxton or a Paxton associate. That goes for Trump too.
chris1515
AG
Screenshotted. Thanks.
EllisCoAg
AG
who is the wall street broker who just moved here from NY but is backed by Trump (i think that is what i saw)? what is he running for and who is his opponents?
I wanna see our defense pissed off, not confused, maybe a little murder in their hearts Reload12, 11/4/11
gabehcoud
I have no idea but watch Fox 4 News tonight and you'll see the commercials multiple times. They're hilarious.
Robert C. Christian
AG
EllisCoAg said:

who is the wall street broker who just moved here from NY but is backed by Trump (i think that is what i saw)? what is he running for and who is his opponents?

Brandon Gill. I only know because I turned of Fox 4 and the attack ad on him being from NY was playing. Good call by the poster above me.
tysker
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

double aught said:

Could you connect why its ok to close the unnecessary elementary schools within RISD and yet your voting blank or no on vouchers because schools aren't properly funded?

As an RISD parent will these schools closures make LHJH and LHHS less of a dysfunctional ****show?
Ol Jock 99
AG
Per pupil funding hasn't increased since 19. Have your costs increased over that time? Mine have. And even in 19, Texas wasn't exactly an exemplar of public ed funding.

RISD, along with most north Texas districts, have flat to slight decrease in enrollment. Combine that along with RISD's thought in the 60s that more small elementarys was the best path, and here you are.

Texas funding of schools sucks. Adding further pressure to that isn't great in my book.
chick79
AG
I understand shutting down some of the elementary schools but it's hard to see Greenwood Hills as one of them. I started first grade there in 1962.
double aught
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

double aught said:

If you have to shut down schools, it sucks, but I get it. But some of the redrawn lines are asinine. There is a home that is literally across the street from Dartmouth that will be zoned for Yale. They're shipping half the students from Dartmouth to Yale in order to make room for the Springridge kids. That's my problem.
chick79
AG
I noticed Greenwood Hills is one of the elementary schools to be closed. I started first grade there in 1962.
chick79
chick79
AG
Dp
Ag CPA
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

EllisCoAg said:

Brandon Gill. I only know because I turned of Fox 4 and the attack ad on him being from NY was playing. Good call by the poster above me.
The amount of money being thrown at that race is crazy.
aggiesherpa
AG
This is great, thank you for posting!
powerbelly
AG
I now get multiple Wernick texts a day. This election cycle has been the worst.
gabehcoud
Thoughts for Tarrant County?

United States Representative, District 25
Vince Crabb
Roger Williams
Matthew Lucci
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.