Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

***Running Thread***

29,695 Views | 344 Replies | Last: 14 hrs ago by aggiespartan
CollinAB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I ran it in the Trail Pegasus 2 which has a pretty similar lug depth to the Challenger. That would be a good choice for sure. Any of those "door-to-trail" type shoes would do it.

As far as the elevation goes, you'll feel every bit of it the last mile up to the top of the pass. But there's 3 miles of descending off the pass that can really beat you up and make the last 7 miles (which look so easy on paper) a sufferfest. That final stretch is fairly exposed and can get hot later in the day. That's actually where I struggled the most.
94chem
Sweep4-2 said:

I'm running the Silverton Alpine 50K in July for my first ultra (ridiculous choice, I know). But after that, I'm going to focus on running a faster 10K.

I just never focus enough on one type of event to get faster......I like the 10K distance, but I also love trail running, trying out new distances, pacing for friends, etc.

But my main goals for the year are A) Finish the Silverton 50K and B) Run a 43:XX at the BCS Oktoberfest which is about a minute faster than what I ran this year.

Awesome. I ran the 11.6 mile loop around Leadville last summer. Right around 2 hours. The hills and the altitude were of course difficult, but it beat running in Houston by a longshot. You just settle into your pace and keep going, versus losing 10 lbs and and having no respite no matter how much you slow down.

I kinda want to do the Cloudcroft Trail 50K sometime, but maybe not bad enough to train for it. I do well at elevation, but not sure if I want to do any more marathons. Maybe Cloudcroft would be fun because I wouldn't care about time - more of a bucket list thing.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
AggieOO
The cloudcroft race is great. There are a couple gnarly climbs on that course.

They are also bringing back the original course/race, which is cactus to clouds, and starts in Alamogordo. About 7K of climbing in 50k, almost all of the race is uphill.
94chem
AggieOO said:

The cloudcroft race is great. There are a couple gnarly climbs on that course.

They are also bringing back the original course/race, which is cactus to clouds, and starts in Alamogordo. About 7K of climbing in 50k, almost all of the race is uphill.
Alamogordo in August? No thanks.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
AggieOO
cactus to clouds is in october.
94chem
AggieOO said:

cactus to clouds is in october.

I was talking about the Rim Trail. It's about 31 miles, in August.
94chem,
AggieOO
Yes, I'm aware. I've done that race. I did it the first year they changed from cactus to clouds to the current format. Now, this year, they are also bringing back the original race course on a different date.

And it's only been in August the past couple years, before that, it was in May.
94chem
So you must know "mountain goat" Matt Preslar. Great guy and a total beast. Did UTMB 2 years ago.
94chem,
AggieOO
I don't know him, but know who he is. He's quick.
Swarely
London lottery opened yesterday.
bert harbinson
AG
Ah WTH, just entered the lottery.
Sooner Born
Entered the London lottery and will enter the Tokyo lottery. Trying to run the 6 majors and with Chicago this fall, will just have those two left.
wangus12
AG
I'm prepared to hate you if you get into them
Sooner Born
wangus12 said:

I'm prepared to hate you if you get into them
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Question, for those that listen to podcasts on runs, what do y'all listen to?

I finished all the free and most of the paid Dan Carlin Hardcore History episodes. I've exhausted myself of The Last Podcast on the Left. I tried listening to Bill Simmon's podcast, but I just get so annoyed of his voice (the man's got a voice for print). I've finished some true crime stuff like LISK and Serial.

At this point I'm kinda desperate for podcasts to listen to while running. I have an interest in sports, science, history, movies, but I'm open to any suggestions for stuff that keeps you entertained while running for hours at a time.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
K Bo
AG
Depending on the guest:

Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend
The Tim Ferriss Show
Huberman Lab
The Drive with Peter Attia
The Rich Roll Podcast
The Jocko Podcast
Swarely
I nearly collapsed from laughter on a run listening to "The Dollop".

Revolutions is a good one.
ptothemo
AG
Plain English with Derek Thompson
The Schoch Factor
The Morning Shakeout
Pretend (I just started listening to this some, but I've enjoyed it so far)
AggieOO
Basically mine are:

A crapload of trail and ultrarunning podcasts
Climbing gold with Aelx Hannold
Conan
Ragoo
AG
All In every Saturday morning
Swarely
https://thesun.my/sport/over-840000-applications-for-2025-london-marathon-breaks-world-record-HJ12394407
Sooner Born
This seriously impacts Wangus' chances.
RustyBoltz
AG
I entered this year for the first time. Still better odds than me running a sub 3 to BQ in the next 5 years.
howapi
AG
673,000 applications by UK residents alone. That seems extraordinarily high. That is 5x the total number that applied for Chicago.
aggiespartan
AG
Heading to the OC Marathon in Newport Beach this weekend. Not really expecting much but a finish since my training the last month hasn't been great, but it's my friend's first marathon. Hopefully it's a good time!
AggieOO
you are gonna feel that hundo
aggiespartan
AG
AggieOO said:

you are gonna feel that hundo
I know, that's why the last month has been ****. It took 2 weeks for me to just be able to fully move both feet.
94chem
Anybody here in Masters or Seniors Track & Field. Thinking of competing at the Regional in June at Rice.
94chem,
SJEAg
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

Question, for those that listen to podcasts on runs, what do y'all listen to?

I finished all the free and most of the paid Dan Carlin Hardcore History episodes. I've exhausted myself of The Last Podcast on the Left. I tried listening to Bill Simmon's podcast, but I just get so annoyed of his voice (the man's got a voice for print). I've finished some true crime stuff like LISK and Serial.

At this point I'm kinda desperate for podcasts to listen to while running. I have an interest in sports, science, history, movies, but I'm open to any suggestions for stuff that keeps you entertained while running for hours at a time.

I know you mentioned not enjoying Simmon's voice (and I get it). I don't listen to his normal podcast either. But if you like movies, his Rewatchables show is the the best movie podcast out there. I swear he and his co-hosts are my movie-twins. It's just fun how they love all the same films and highlight/nitpick all the same scenes I do. I'm sad that I've almost exhausted the back catalog. The 90 min to 2 hr runtimes are great for long runs.

"Unspooled" is a decent movie recap podcast. Started with AFI 100 but now they just do random movies. Girl host is kind of annoying, but Paul Scheer is pretty easy to listen to. He also does the "How Did This Get Made" podcast which is decent comedy, but it's problem is 99% of the time they do a movie I've never even heard of. The older catalog is best but don't think it's readily available through most channels.

Simmons Interview podcast (which appears to be retired) is also really good, he just asks a lot of interesting questions so it's unlike anything else (and not just the promotional fluff content other interview podcasts all are).

If you like interview podcasts, Conan's is best IMO...especially his bits before and after the interview. "Smartless" is popular, but I find the hosts annoying...but they do get a lot of A-listers. I like Marc Maron, but don't recognize 90% of his guests.

"Radiolab" used to be amazing...just really good science based special interest stories. But gave up on it after all the original hosts left and their content got stale. Old stuff is really good though.

99% Invisible - been around forever, just good stories usually involving the world around us or architecture.

If you get desperate, Stuff You Should Know has an insanely large catalog. Just random education on any topic imaginable (history, science, biographies, pop culture) with random banter here and there. Does not get deep, think Wikipedia level...which I like as it doesn't really take any concentration. Its kid safe so is what I play with the family. I practically feel like I am friends with the hosts in real life I've listened to so many episodes.
aggiespartan
AG
I ran the OC Marathon on Sunday. Would not recommend. First, they had a lack of information regarding the nutrition on course leading up to the event. Then they said gels only at 11, 17 and 18. I only saw it being handed out in 2 spots and it was some brand called chargel. The packages were huge. It was like running over milk cartons.

It was a point to point, and some of the hotels had shuttles that took you to the start. Our shuttle took us to the finish. The driver had no idea what was going on. Ended up having to get on another bus that was taking people that parked at the finish. After getting off that bus, I had to run a ways to the start, threw my gear bag at the people, went to the bathroom, and started about 5 minutes late.

The race is set up well for community support, but most of the community didn't show up. The first half was at least scenic but the second half was pretty boring. We even ran around a mall. Like on the sidewalk right by the Nordstrom's entrance.

I heard from people at the finish that a lot of the pacers were off and some looked like they were about to collapse.

I was there supporting a friend, but it would not be a race I would choose on my own. Will not go back and do not recommend. It was my least favorite race out of the 4 fulls that I've done.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.