Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

****2024 Trail and Ultra Running****

19,117 Views | 396 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by aggiespartan
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With only a few days left in 2023, its time to fire up the '24 thread. As always, this is the thread for anything trail or ultra running-related. Personal goals/races/projects, pro news, videos, etc.

I'll kick things off my with 2024 goals:

- Black Canyons 100K. I'm running this one again. Last year, I only got about 6 weeks of training in due to recurrence of an injury, so it was a long, long day. Should be able to cut several hours off my time from last year. This will check the box for the WS100 lottery.
- Angeles Crest 100. I'm currently #16 on the waitlist, so almost guaranteed I'm getting in. That said, if I don't, my brother-in-law is running, so I'll go crew/pace if I don't get in.
- Barkley Fall Classic. I'm in again. My brother-in-law got in for the 3rd straight year. Looking forward to going back and hopefully getting a finish. When I ran it in 2021, I was coming off a major injury and it was my first race in almost 2 years. I timed out on the course, coming up Rat Jaw.
- Launch of a video project. My brother-in-law and I are starting a youtube channel for ****s and giggles. Nothing too serious, and we certainly aren't trying to be "influencers." More to come, but will be putting out content starting in January.

There will definitely be some other goals/projects to come, but this is my calendar so far.
aggiespartan
AG
This is what I have so far:

- Bandera 100k
- Buffalo Run 100

Planning on signing up for Javelina 100. If I miss the cutoff at Bandera, I can at least get a lottery ticket there. I'll fill in more of my schedule as I go depending on how these races shake out. I'd like to do one of the Tejas Trails night races this year again, but I have to see how schedules go.
AggieOO
Decent chance I'll do the first two captain Karl's as training for ac100.
aggiespartan
AG
Those are the two I'm looking at. Husband is doing a bike trip through the Pyrenees in August, so I can't do much outside of DFW that month.
Dafstun
AG
Hoka Bandera 100k in January is all I'm signed up for so far.

These last few days have been interesting though. I started researching 100 milers.... Must have been something I ate over the holidays. A year ago, I never thought I would do a 50.

Top of the list right now is Kettle Moraine followed by Burning River, No Business, Buffalo Run, Rim Runner, Bryce and Zion. I need something without major altitude, some vert is good but not too much (~10,000ft or less). I'm a Houston runner.

Logistically I'm still on the fence. I don't really have a support team or have any desire to drag a bunch of people somewhere to crew or pace. If that ends up becoming a necessity, then I'll have to stick to a Texas 100 and none of them really appeal to me yet.
aggiespartan
AG
There are youtube videos on all of those. I decided against Rim Runner because the RD had some bad reviews. That might be the one where they just randomly cancelled the race one year.
Sponge
AG
Planning on Buffalo Run 100 and Salt Flats 100. Hopefully Crimson Canyon 50 in September which is a new course for that event (new 18 mile all downhill mtn bike trail in the back half).
aggiespartan
AG
Sponge said:

Planning on Buffalo Run 100 and Salt Flats 100. Hopefully Crimson Canyon 50 in September which is a new course for that event (new 18 mile all downhill mtn bike trail in the back half).
Not sure what my pace will be for Buffalo, but I'd love to say hi or share some miles.
AggieOO
Just got an invite for Athens Big Fork, but can't go bc we'll be driving back from Wisconsin.
Swarely
Still a maybe for the Bandera 50k

Think I'm doing Hells Hills in April if it doesn't end up being the same weekend as my high school reunion.
TXamc06
AG
Brazos Bend - 100 miler on Jan 6-7

Expedition Ozark April 7-13. First adventure race, trail running, cycling, kayaking and climbing - while having to orienteer thru it all. Nervous as hell but should be awesome.
oldarmy76
I'm signed up for the rocky 50 in February. A sprained ankle in late November has dramatically impacted training, but I have 5 more weeks to get ready. Will be showing up not as fit as I wanted but will see what I got.
aggiespartan
AG
You Brazos bend guys can't catch a break. Now the location has moved to 7IL Ranch.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
There's an old guy who frequently goes to Big Bend. He's an awful cameraman. Don't use him in your YouTube videos.
AggieOO
TRD-Ferguson said:

There's an old guy who frequently goes to Big Bend. He's an awful cameraman. Don't use him in your YouTube videos.

Lol. Noted, though I don't believe that old guy was ever in front of a camera.
aggiespartan
AG
They're going to have Maurten products at Bandera. First race I've been to that didn't have random flavors gu or something similar.

Got registered for Javelina. I'll fill in the schedule with some more local races as they come up. Thinking I might do some distance at Loup Garou this year in December. I have to coordinate with my husband's dumb bike stuff.
Dafstun
AG
aggiespartan said:

They're going to have Maurten products at Bandera. First race I've been to that didn't have random flavors gu or something similar.

I've never used any Maurten products. If they're anything like Gu, Huma, or Tailwind I should be good to go. I have a fairly forgiving stomach (knock on wood). They say, "Never try anything new on race day, except Maurten." ...or something like that.
aggiespartan
AG
Dafstun said:

aggiespartan said:

I've never used any Maurten products. If they're anything like Gu, Huma, or Tailwind I should be good to go. I have a fairly forgiving stomach (knock on wood). They say, "Never try anything new on race day, except Maurten." ...or something like that.
They really aren't anything like Gu, Huma or Tailwind. They are kind of tasteless, just a little sweet. The texture is a little different too. I'm still going to bring some other stuff too because they probably don't want me taking handfuls at each aid station.
agdoc-ultrarunner
AG
The only race on the agenda so far is Rocky Raccoon 100mi.
Is my first 100 miler. Depending on how it goes will dictate which races I will tackle later. Would like to consider the AR Traveler in early October if work allows.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieOO
I've run AT100 twice if you want any Intel.
AggieOO
i can't do this b/c its the week before Black Canyons 100K, but here's a FREE 100K/100M race on Feb 3 in Longview. Lots of loops, but figured it might be interesting to some folks.

https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=112498&fbclid=IwAR2sa6lBCtmDn6S4IokEGa_r1Y8OTNz71uG8uiwEVAZa_ErNox2AW2P6c4U
AggieOO
I might be doing Bandera 50k now. Probably decide by tomorrow. I have to figure out if I can get trail shoes in time. Problem is, it's too late to try a new version and can't find the old ones that will ship in time.
aggiespartan
AG
what shoes do you wear?

If you can find them in Dallas, I can go get them and bring them.
AggieOO
Much appreciated
aggiespartan
AG
New podcast alert. Distance to Empty. Hosts are Kevin Goldberg and some other guy I'm not that familiar with. The focus is on 200+ mile races. The first guest is Wes Plate.
Dafstun
AG
Seems like there's a good 4-5 TexAgers running Bandera. We should at least say hi or something.
Dafstun
AG
aggiespartan said:

New podcast alert. Distance to Empty. Hosts are Kevin Goldberg and some other guy I'm not that familiar with. The focus is on 200+ mile races. The first guest is Wes Plate.

I'll give that a listen. I've watched a many Wes Plate YT vids.
Tamuag04
AG
25K in Bandera with a good running buddy on Sunday morning. Can't wait. Weather looks very favorable.
aggiespartan
AG
Anybody else running the 100k on Saturday?

K Bo
AG
I am looking for for a fall trail run outside Texas for the wife and I where we can also quasi-vacation. I'd be looking for marathon to 50K distance (something really challenging would be fun). My wife has run some half marathons in the past but is not currently a runner. She loves hiking and keeps saying she wants something to train for/work towards, so I think a half marathon type distance could work (if the schedule allows I'll run it with her). We looked at signing up for The Rut tomorrow (50K and 21K) but the scheduling is not ideal and we did Big Sky two years ago when I did the 28K. I have my eye on Jay Peak Trail Running Festival in Vermont (33mi and 11mi) but was curious if you guys had any other suggestions I might explore. TIA!
AggieOO
I did Jay Peak back in like 2008 when it was Ulitimate XC. I don't know if they tamed it down any, but holy hell that race was brutal. I was in low 3 hour marathon shape and that 50K took me almost 9 hours.

I know that's not helpful, so I'll try and think on it a bit and make some real suggestions.

K Bo
AG
that sounds gnarly!
Swarely
I'll just be hobbling the 50k.
TXamc06
AG
Brazos Bend report…due to weather, the race had to be moved (after already being rescheduled) to 7IL ranch in Cat Spring.

Bad news. 7IL ranch is nothing like the original course. Sand, sand, a bit more sand. I don't think there was actually one trail…just a ton of sandy ranch roads.

Good news. Really good turnout by volunteers in some cold damp/humid weather. Race director kept the race and didn't just cancel it, made lemonade out of lemons and sent an email recommending gaiters for the shoes. Aid stations had tons of food and never ran out of oranges, bananas and other good fruits. Loop system, while not scenic, made it easy to do my first solo (no crew or pacers) 100.

23:20 for the race. Good tone set for 2024!
AggieOO
nice job, and way to look at the positive. Not sure I'd be super stoked with the changes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.