Welcome to Wrexham
18,308 Views | 181 Replies
PatAg
2:27a, 10/1/22
I felt like the hooligan episode was just a waste of an episode.
You can get all of that info in a much better youtube video.
t - cam
5:21p, 10/1/22
In reply to PatAg
PatAg said:

You're getting 2 episodes a week. They are diving into small club soccer that I'm sure most of Americans don't really know exists. I really enjoyed and bet most of America doesn't understand the culture over there.
PatAg
5:25p, 10/1/22
In reply to t - cam
t - cam said:

PatAg said:

You're getting 2 episodes a week. They are diving into small club soccer that I'm sure most of Americans don't really know exists. I really enjoyed and bet most of America doesn't understand the culture over there.
Thats probably a good point, for the people that dont really the follow the sport at all.
It just seemed like such basic information, and kind of lazy to me, so hard to even conceive that point of view.
AgGrad99
8:05p, 10/6/22
man I love this show. I died laughing when they went to commercial and they bleeped out Rob with Mint Mobile logos
TXAggie2011
11:20p, 10/7/22
I appreciate Rob putting ear muffs on his son so he could yell "f-ck" loudly 6 inches away

What's the song that's played throughout the series, always a different arrangement, played it at the end of this last episode too
BQ_90
11:29a, 10/8/22
In reply to TXAggie2011
TXAggie2011 said:

I appreciate Rob putting ear muffs on his son so he could yell "f-ck" loudly 6 inches away

What's the song that's played throughout the series, always a different arrangement, played it at the end of this last episode too

You talking about this song
tylercsbn9
10:58a, 10/10/22
They must be making bank after the show. Cant buy a jersey form their store because everything is sold out.
AgGrad99
11:18a, 10/10/22
In reply to tylercsbn9
Yep. I was going to buy one of their training jackets, but they've been sold out for a while.

I read somewhere that they are selling 7x what they normally sell, but that article was a month old and I bet as the popularity has grown, so has the demand. they need to get inventory quickly, so they're not missing out on that money.

Between the FX money for the show, merchandise, sponsorships, selling out every game now, cross-promotion with their other ventures (Gin, Mint, FX shows, etc)....they have got to be making money by now. I mean, they went from the local trailer company to TikTok sponsoring the club.

But they need to get promoted badly, before the law of diminishing returns kicks in.
walton91
11:37a, 10/10/22
But they have also been spending over budget on players and a manager, not to mention replacing the pitch, facility upgrades to the Racecourse, etc. Id love to know if there has been an increase in tourism to the area as people want to see the town and the team
fig96
4:07p, 10/10/22
Posted on the last page, their merch sales over the month or so the show has been airing is roughly 6x their total from the 12 months prior...

Mustang1
5:21p, 10/10/22
walton91
5:31p, 10/10/22
In reply to Mustang1
Holy S!
AgGrad99
6:45p, 10/10/22
Awesome
AgRyan04
6:51p, 10/10/22
I love the show and love that it's really catching on
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
PatAg
2:27a, 10/11/22
In reply to Mustang1
Mustang1 said:

so would this be a spoiler alert for season 2?
AgGrad99
5:58a, 10/11/22
In reply to PatAg
I look atit like Drive To Survive. I know what happens, but it's fun to see behind the curtain.

walton91
9:03a, 10/13/22
This was posted on the other thread but the Red Dragons are getting some airtime on Saturday

Rudyjax
9:51a, 10/13/22
Someone briefly explain to me how FA cup works.

My understanding is every team in English football competes.

How is Wrecham in the finals last year agaisnt a non premier league team?
fig96
9:57a, 10/13/22
In reply to Rudyjax
Two different things with understandable confusion:

FA Cup - tournament involving teams from level 9 up to the Premier League level of English football

FA Trophy - similar tournament involving teams from leagues 5-8, so everyone in the National League System (making Wrexham and their league counterparts the top level teams)
Rudyjax
9:59a, 10/13/22
In reply to fig96
fig96 said:

Two different things with understandable confusion:

FA Cup - tournament involving teams from level 9 up to the Premier League level of English football

FA Trophy - similar tournament involving teams from leagues 5-8, so everyone in the National League System (making Wrexham and their league counterparts the top level teams)
Thank you. That makes perfect sense.
fig96
10:06a, 10/13/22
In reply to Rudyjax
You bet.

And I binged all 3 eps of the finale last night, really interesting to see the little tangents this show takes. Definitely looking forward to season 2.

One other interesting tidbit, during Sunday's broadcast of Austin FC's last regular season match McConaughey mentioned that he's been talking to Ryan Reynolds about Wrexham coming to Q2 to play a friendly. Could be fun, and I'd honestly love to see an MLS team blow them out of the water

https://the18.com/soccer-news/matthew-mcconaughey-ryan-reynolds-austin-fc-wrexham-afc-friendly-q2-stadium
AgGrad99
10:19a, 10/13/22
In reply to fig96
fig96 said:

You bet.

And I binged all 3 eps of the finale last night, really interesting to see the little tangents this show takes. Definitely looking forward to season 2.

One other interesting tidbit, during Sunday's broadcast of Austin FC's last regular season match McConaughey mentioned that he's been talking to Ryan Reynolds about Wrexham coming to Q2 to play a friendly. Could be fun, and I'd honestly love to see an MLS team blow them out of the water

https://the18.com/soccer-news/matthew-mcconaughey-ryan-reynolds-austin-fc-wrexham-afc-friendly-q2-stadium
Holy smokes, that'd be great!
Aston94
10:47a, 10/13/22
Got caught up yesterday on episodes. I really didn't think I was going to enjoy this documentary before hand, but I have really, really loved it. It is really well produced and the intertwining of the players, the fans, the town, the staff and Rob and Ryan has really been fascinating to watch.

I do love that Rob and Ryan seem to be genuinely interested in doing this "the right way" and building up the town in the process.
Rudyjax
10:49a, 10/13/22
I'm not caught up, dropping 4 last week put me behind.

But I love that Ryan went from, ehhhh, let's see, to fill on board.
AgGrad99
10:55a, 10/13/22
In reply to Aston94
Aston94 said:

Got caught up yesterday on episodes. I really didn't think I was going to enjoy this documentary before hand, but I have really, really loved it. It is really well produced and the intertwining of the players, the fans, the town, the staff and Rob and Ryan has really been fascinating to watch.

I do love that Rob and Ryan seem to be genuinely interested in doing this "the right way" and building up the town in the process.
Agreed.

I also like that they didn't make it all about themselves. It could have easily been a show about two soccer-dumb Americans bumbling through soccer for the first time. Instead, it's all about the team, the history, and the reclamation project, with their involvement woven throughout.
walton91
11:19a, 10/13/22
In reply to AgGrad99
If they were living there full time and going to the office every day like Humphrey, it might have gone the direction of being mostly about Rob and Ryan. You really can't do a documentary about daily zoom calls so with those guys being in California, it has allowed them to focus on the town, volunteers, and supporters who are there every day. I think just about any sports fan can really empathize with the community and supporters of a club that has been lost in the wasteland for years and years. The hope, and anxiety, of those fans truly shines through in this show.
AgGrad99
11:28a, 10/13/22
In reply to walton91
walton91 said:

If they were living there full time and going to the office every day like Humphrey, it might have gone the direction of being mostly about Rob and Ryan. You really can't do a documentary about daily zoom calls so with those guys being in California, it has allowed them to focus on the town, volunteers, and supporters who are there every day. I think just about any sports fan can really empathize with the community and supporters of a club that has been lost in the wasteland for years and years. The hope, and anxiety, of those fans truly shines through in this show.
yep. agreed.

They could have spent a few different weeks there, and 'filmed' their portion of the show...spliced it in, etc.

But it's great that they just told the story as it was.
BQ_90
11:48a, 10/13/22
In reply to walton91
walton91 said:

This has been the part of the show that has really sucked me in.

These towns and the futbol clubs are closest thing anyone outside of the US has to college football. It's amazing to see the fan parallels. Wexham has sunshine pumpers that happy no matter what all the way to pot bangers that aren't every happy. It's completely like the premium board here.

But the show has done such a good job of getting the full experience, from the fans, owners, the players, the community. I really have enjoyed it way more than I had expected it.
AgRyan04
12:03p, 10/13/22
Loving the show!

I would be SOOO excited if Austin FC could make that friendly happen!

I know Reynolds is the big star, but Rob is my favorite....he is a true hardcore sports fan and really seems to be embracing his role. The dude is learning Welsh and is meeting with politicians.

Also Fat Mac was the best Mac.
t - cam
12:06p, 10/13/22
I'm curious to see how well this show does for FX and what their eventual involvement in the club will be. My buddies were estimating that Ryan and Rob probably have the finances to back up to a league 1 side but attempting to seek further promotion beyond that would likely require significant corporate investment.
AgRyan04
12:08p, 10/13/22
In reply to t - cam
I get the impression that their goal is to fund th team to get it to a level where it can self support
ChipFTAC01
4:01p, 10/13/22
In reply to AgRyan04
AgRyan04 said:

I get the impression that their goal is to fund th team to get it to a level where it can self support

I think the number of teams from League 2 up that are self supporting is exceedingly small.
Aston94
5:19p, 10/13/22
In reply to t - cam
t - cam said:

I'm curious to see how well this show does for FX and what their eventual involvement in the club will be. My buddies were estimating that Ryan and Rob probably have the finances to back up to a league 1 side but attempting to seek further promotion beyond that would likely require significant corporate investment.
Ryan has a net worth of around $150 Million (which seemed low to me honestly) and Rob is around $50 Million, so them funding a Championship or Premiership club themselves doesn't seem realistic. Good net worth for them, but not Fund an EPL team good.

But they have the ability to promote their club like few others, and club sponsorships with Ryan Reynolds doing the marketing are much, much more valuable to the team. Will be interesting to see how they finance it if they get to that point.
t - cam
5:27p, 10/13/22
In reply to Aston94
Aston94 said:

t - cam said:

Ryan has a net worth of around $150 Million (which seemed low to me honestly) and Rob is around $50 Million, so them funding a Championship or Premiership club themselves doesn't seem realistic. Good net worth for them, but not Fund an EPL team good.

But they have the ability to promote their club like few others, and club sponsorships with Ryan Reynolds doing the marketing are much, much more valuable to the team. Will be interesting to see how they finance it if they get to that point.

Yeah, that was my point and kind of wondering if FX or whoever owns them would get involved.
fig96
7:56p, 10/13/22
If it gets to that point they're not going to have a hard time finding funding.

The club's popularity is exploding and if they advance that far they'll be one of the best stories in sports, it won't be hard to find some rich tech/media guys who want a piece of that.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 6
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings