Welcome to Wrexham

17,509 Views | 177 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by Faustus
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone watching this (on FX)?

Rob McIhenney and Ryan Reynolds bought a very low level soccer club in Wales (Wrexham, in the National League), and are attempting to overhaul it and get it promoted.

The show is ok, and does a lot of explaining for the non-soccer fan, but it's pretty interesting.

They bought this club for less than 3 million US Dollars. Even if the club fails, they'll likely get their initial investment from the show and merch sales alone. I'm curious to see if they are able to help get it promoted.

I liked what they did at the end of Ep.2.

Spoiler Alert:
I'd told my wife, while we were watching it, the hardest thing will be changing the culture because they are too used to losing. The scene where Ryan/Rob's assistant was introducing himself, and the players/coaches were chuckling at him...that would have sent me over the edge. They should hate losing and realized what was happening. Instead they treated it like a joke. Overhauling everyone/everything from the management to coaching staff to players...very good start.

carl spacklers hat
Quick way to fix the culture problem: fire everyone and start fresh.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
agdoc2001
AG
Watched the 1st episode last night (Hulu). Really enjoyed it. I really liked where Rob went with his son and dad to his childhood home in Philly with appliances from the 50s, showed the bedroom he shared with his brother which is smaller than most modern day closets, and had an outhouse in the backyard.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgGrad99
AG
agdoc2001 said:

Watched the 1st episode last night (Hulu). Really enjoyed it. I really liked where Rob went with his son and dad to his childhood home in Philly with appliances from the 50s, showed the bedroom he shared with his brother which is smaller than most modern day closets, and had an outhouse in the backyard.
Yep, that was really good.
AgGrad99
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

Quick way to fix the culture problem: fire everyone and start fresh.
Sure is. And based on the malaise of the team, and staff, it was needed.

I have a feeling the new general manager he brought in (cant remember his name), looked at the situation and said, we need a reset.
jeffk
AG
Really enjoyed the first two episodes. I liked that they emphasized the strategy of providing the current crop of players and coaches the resources they need to finish out the current season and then making swift changes after they failed to produce the results they needed. They could have cleaned house right away when they took over, but that would have insured they didn't make the playoffs that season and probably would have alienated a lot of the fans, players, and staff - some of whom they'll need to build around to take the next steps.

I definitely felt for the older players - it sucks when it means so much to them and yet they just aren't good enough.
Aston94
AG
jeffk said:

Really enjoyed the first two episodes. I liked that they emphasized the strategy of providing the current crop of players and coaches the resources they need to finish out the current season and then making swift changes after they failed to produce the results they needed. They could have cleaned house right away when they took over, but that would have insured they didn't make the playoffs that season and probably would have alienated a lot of the fans, players, and staff - some of whom they'll need to build around to take the next steps.

I definitely felt for the older players - it sucks when it means so much to them and yet they just aren't good enough.
The old center mid coming in for the last match and getting a red card, then watching him in the locker room, was heart wrenching. He wanted it so bad for the team and for him to be a reason they were not making the playoffs was just sickening.

Made for great TV, but really felt for the guy.

jeffk
AG
Yeah, definitely. Wanted a storybook ending for him, but this is real life sports and there's a dearth of those.
bbry81
I feel like Ryan isn't taking it as serious as rob is. Maybe that's just his personality But everything seems to be a joke with him. Love the show
AgGrad99
AG
Love the show also.

These two Eps were really good.

They are getting to do what I'd LOVE to do.
TXAggie2011
AG
bbry81 said:

I feel like Ryan isn't taking it as serious as rob is. Maybe that's just his personality But everything seems to be a joke with him. Love the show

Everyone from Always Sunny has always said Rob is 110% balls to the wall when he takes something on. Some of the stuff he's done for his character on that show is insane
walton91
bbry81 said:

I had the same impression, like he took it on as just another investment. In one of the new episodes he makes the comment that it is way more time consuming than he thought it would be, but then also goes on to say its addicting. It does seems like its more personal and a passion project to Rob. That's probably not fair to Ryan because we know he's out front right now trying to get the National League to allow streaming of games. This is a really entertaining show, though.
jeffk
AG
I just got the impression that Ryan has way more irons in his fire than Rob... which I think it accurate.
ChipFTAC01
AG
jeffk said:

I just got the impression that Ryan has way more irons in his fire than Rob... which I think it accurate.

And Robs from Philly and Ryan's from Vancouver (?) so Rob probably cares a lot more about SPORTS!
Rudyjax
AG
Really enjoyed the first 4 episodes.

Can't wait to see it through. I know the result of the season too.

Closest thing to English football is NCAA football.
walton91
Ep 5 & 6 were just great. Less of Ryan and Ryan's friend, and more of the supporters and town. The passion of Ryan's friend in trying to take ownership of the Racecourse was a highlight tho. Such a history this club and town have...plus this little gem
https://open.spotify.com/track/07j1JJttGwGCXV0sE9LZb2?si=dD8XOu4URymdNkiS7m10Kg&utm_source=copy-link
Rudyjax
AG
walton91 said:

Ep 5 & 6 were just great. Less of Ryan and Ryan's friend, and more of the supporters and town. The passion of Ryan's friend in trying to take ownership of the Racecourse was a highlight tho. Such a history this club and town have...plus this little gem
https://open.spotify.com/track/07j1JJttGwGCXV0sE9LZb2?si=dD8XOu4URymdNkiS7m10Kg&utm_source=copy-link
Who is Ryan's friend?

Aggies1322
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

walton91 said:

Who is Ryan's friend?

Lol.. this is one of the funniest aspects of the show imo. My favorite show on TV right now.
walton91
It was a pretty funny moment. A women from town knew Ryan Reynolds but not Rob so she referred to him as "Ryan's friend". The show then put up a translation graphic so we could see she was talking about Rob
Rudyjax
AG
walton91 said:

It was a pretty funny moment. A women from town knew Ryan Reynolds but not Rob so she referred to him as "Ryan's friend". The show then put up a translation graphic so we could see she was talking about Rob
Yeah, i caught it now.

I guess they're not Sunny fans.
deadbq03
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

walton91 said:

Yeah, i caught it now.

I never saw Sunny, but Mythic Quest is glorious.
Rudyjax
AG
deadbq03 said:

Ken Scarborough said:

walton91 said:

Yeah, i caught it now.

I never saw Sunny, but Mythic Quest is glorious.
Genius show.
walton91
I'm willing to give them a free pass because National League and all, but if this keeps up and they ever make the Championship they goona start putting checks in the post!
Forum Troll
AG
Too bad all their merch is sold out. Kind of like that home red.
Aston94
AG
I have really enjoyed the show, the portion about them having to purchase back the home filed and the frustrations with English bureaucracy were really interesting.

I love how they genuinely seem to be doing this for the fans. Great stuff.

Ryan Reynold's quote at the end of Ep 4 was awesome to, something along the lines of" I have been an owner of a football club now for 6 months and I find it to be taking up way more time than anticipated, anxiety ridden, financially idiotic, and completely intoxicating.

Fun watch.

AgGrad99
AG
Im glad they spent a lot of time detailing the history, and how they got where they were. It's sad the way the club was pilfered for any value and left to rot. Really hoping they are able to help the team eventually gain promotion.

Owning the stadium, and making improvements will provide a lot of value when they inevitably sell. It'll also give them a lot more seats to sell in the meantime. So I'd imagine they'd make up a lot of that investment fairly quickly.

It's fun to follow this show for sure.
aggiejohn
AG
I'm loving this show. It is must-watch TV, I just wish I could watch the matches semi-live.

In the interim, it is cool that Wrexham is available for play in both FIFA 22 and soon-to-be-released FIFA23.
Rudyjax
AG
aggiejohn said:

I'm loving this show. It is must-watch TV, I just wish I could watch the matches semi-live.

In the interim, it is cool that Wrexham is available for play in both FIFA 22 and soon-to-be-released FIFA23.
The bad news is this is taking place in the 2021 season.

t - cam
AG
The show is fantastic. I can't imagine getting this kind of lifeline as a club that is on it's way to extinction. They've shown it on the show a lot but I just can't imagine being a fan when this popped up out of nowhere. Out of the blue you have ownership with money and resources, are getting a remolded stadium and have apparel sales that will dwarf every team in the FA that's not already in the championship or premier league.

Will be a lot of fun to keep an eye on them over the next decade or so. I've been following Sunderland ever since their documentary got me interested in them a few years back. Fun to pick a lower level club to keep an eye on.

Rudyjax
AG
t - cam said:

The show is fantastic. I can't imagine getting this kind of lifeline as a club that is on it's way to extinction. They've shown it on the show a lot but I just can't imagine being a fan when this popped up out of nowhere. Out of the blue you have ownership with money and resources, are getting a remolded stadium and have apparel sales that will dwarf every team in the FA that's not already in the championship or premier league.

Will be a lot of fun to keep an eye on them over the next decade or so. I've been following Sunderland ever since their documentary got me interested in them a few years back. Fun to pick a lower level club to keep an eye on.
It would be really cool to see money infused into a club going from perennial National league all the way to champions or even premier league.

Cuz all it really takes is resources.
_lefraud_
AG
Awesome series.

I enjoyed the graphic of the Yankees being relegated down to Rookie ball if they played bad enough.
walton91
Off to a strong start this year
t - cam
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Awesome series.

I enjoyed the graphic of the Yankees being relegated down to Rookie ball if they played bad enough.

Nice win today. Currently 2nd and scoring a ton of goals.
Aggies1322
AG
t - cam said:

_lefraud_ said:

Awesome series.

Of course they're scoring a ton of goals, they've got Paul Mullin. And their songs about him are incredible.

"WE'VE GOT PAUL MULLIN, SUPER PAUL MULLIN"
t - cam
AG
Aggies1322 said:

t - cam said:

_lefraud_ said:

Awesome series.

Of course they're scoring a ton of goals, they've got Paul Mullin. And their songs about him are incredible.

"WE'VE GOT PAUL MULLIN, SUPER PAUL MULLIN"

I can almost guarantee you Paul Mullin will be in the top 50 in jersey sales this year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.