* Liverpool 2023-2024 Thread *
69,725 Views | 1495 Replies
YNWA.2013
5:12p, 1/24/24
In reply to jeffk
I believe this is our 10th cup final under Klopp (not including Community Shields):
2016 League Cup Final (L to Man City)
2016 Europa League Final (L to Sevilla)
2018 CL Final (L to Real Madrid)
2019 CL Final (W vs Spurs)
2019 UEFA Super Cup Final (W vs Chelsea)
2019 Club World Cup Final (W vs Flamengo
2022 League Cup Final (W vs Chelsea)
2022 FA Cup Final (W vs Chelsea)
2022 CL Final (L to Real Madrid)
2024 League Cup Final (Feb 25 v Chelsea)

A record of 5-4.
-FTA c/o 2013
eiggA2002
8:34a, 1/25/24
What a year 2022 could of been. 2 trophies is nothing to sniff at, but I'll always look back on that season and think what if. What a ride that was though.
ChipFTAC01
9:23a, 1/25/24
Looking at the schedule with the R16 Europa league games being on Thursday then the City and Everton games will move to Sunday.
jeffk
10:18a, 1/25/24
In reply to eiggA2002
eiggA2002 said:

What a year 2022 could of been. 2 trophies is nothing to sniff at, but I'll always look back on that season and think what if. What a ride that was though.

Yeah and you could tell the toll that chase took on the squad in 2023 too. We went for broke and, well, got two trophies and broke.
AG@RICE
10:34a, 1/25/24
In reply to jeffk
We are still alive in 4 competitions this year, luckily our team is way younger.

Shocking how good the kids have been this year. In previous years the 6th choice CB was a rough watch (Phillips, Williams or Koumetio). Quansah is light years better than any of those guys. Same can be said about Bradley. He might be the best 3rd choice RB we have had since I followed the club. That kid is a right sided Robbo.
jeffk
10:47a, 1/25/24
In reply to AG@RICE
I've been so so happy with this squad - both the youngsters from the academy and the new signees. Klopp is putting together a refreshed roster capable of winning trophies. Which is a task I wondered if he would be up to wanting to attempt.
ChipFTAC01
11:05a, 1/25/24
I wonder if some of these injuries will end up helping if we can live through until March. As players come back from injury if it'll be a shot in the arm with some fresh (if not game ready) legs.
Dre_00
5:09a, 1/26/24
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

I've been so so happy with this squad - both the youngsters from the academy and the new signees. Klopp is putting together a refreshed roster capable of winning trophies. Which is a task I wondered if he would be up to wanting to attempt.

You were right to wonder.

I'm legitimately sad. I clearly don't like Liverpool and sometimes I don't even like Klopp but I can't help but love him. League is better with him.
gougler08
5:21a, 1/26/24
Man that's really surprising news
YNWA.2013
5:48a, 1/26/24
Worst news to wake up to. I hope we win the quadruple to send him out in the way this man deserves. He is the best thing to happen to Liverpool in my lifetime.
-FTA c/o 2013
Spaceball 1
6:30a, 1/26/24
Heartbreaking, hopefully the boys send him off on top

Stevie G next man up obviously right?
jeffk
6:39a, 1/26/24
Full announcement interview.

jeffk
6:39a, 1/26/24
My position remains thus: Kloppo is an outstanding human being, I've been spoiled having him manage my favorite team, and I still want to give him a hug.
deadbq03
6:42a, 1/26/24
In reply to Spaceball 1
Y'all would be wise to throw money at a different midfielder from that era and beat Madrid to the punch.
jeffk
6:48a, 1/26/24
In reply to deadbq03
Michael Bradley?
Spaceball 1
7:01a, 1/26/24
In reply to deadbq03
deadbq03 said:

Y'all would be wise to throw money at a different midfielder from that era and beat Madrid to the punch.

Didn't think of Xabi, sounds like he'll be a candidate too
hoosierAG
7:09a, 1/26/24
Holy smokes....what a shock to see first thing.

Man, what a loss on so many levels. Impossible to replace on so many levels as well.

And also makes you wonder if there were was stuff behind the scenes as well that contributed to this decision now. His interview clearly paints the picture of no, but it will definitely be discussed.
wangus12
7:09a, 1/26/24
Not gonna miss having to play against him, but have always liked him.
joemeister
7:14a, 1/26/24
My guess is Xabi is the top candidate, Pep Lijnders would be the back up. Stevie G has done nothing but diminish his profile since leaving Rangers.

If you haven't read Bring the Noise by Raphael Honigstein, I highly recommend it. The book was written before Klopp won anything at Liverpool and provides a great picture of Klopp's values and personality.
jeffk
7:21a, 1/26/24
Just going to watch these all day.

YNWA.2013
7:22a, 1/26/24
In reply to Spaceball 1
I know it is not the same, but I feel like we are replacing the Nick Saban of Liverpool. He is in the Mount Rushmore of Liverpool FC managers along with Shankly, Paisley, and Dalglish. It is impossible to replace him, both as a manager and a human being. So I echo jeffk's sentiment in being grateful to have gotten to experience this era. And Klopp has certainly earned the right to leave on his terms.

My List of Potential Replacements (if I had to come up with 5):
1. Unai Emery
2. Xabi Alonso
3. Pepijn Ljinders (for the sake of continuity. Although I read somewhere the entire staff is leaving with Klopp)
4. Roberto De Zerbi
5. Julian Nagelsmann

Other names that I know will likely be thrown around:
- Zinedine Zidane
- Graham Potter
- Steven Gerrard (based on current resume)
- Jose Mourinho
- Antonio Conte
- Diego Simeone

All of which (with the exception of maybe Zidane) should stay far away from our club right now.

I would go hard after Emery and Alonso (although I wish there was a bigger sample size on Alonso).
-FTA c/o 2013
YNWA.2013
7:29a, 1/26/24
Klopp is saying that he may never manage again and he will certainly never manage another team in England. I hope we offer him some role now or in the future, whenever he wants it. I'd make him Sporting Director.

I hope FSG don't drop the ball in the next months as we transition to the next era. Klopp has transformed the club and I really hope we don't go back to the Hodgson, Rodgers days.

I bet we definitely sell Salah in the summer now, hopefully for 150M+ GBP. And we use that money for a new CB, LB, and ST.
-FTA c/o 2013
Out in Left Field
9:01a, 1/26/24
eiggA2002
9:18a, 1/26/24
Sad day, but a day that was going to happen eventually. Just not as early as today dang it! I was hoping we'd at least have him until the end of his current deal in 2026. At least it can happen when we are in good shape from a squad perspective and it didn't happen after a season like last year.

He's the best and we'll all miss him. He will forever be a legend and wow, what a ride it's been.....and it's not done yet!

I would be shocked if we don't have an agreement in place immediately after the season or a deal done before the end of the season (and just not announced) until the season is over.

powerbelly
9:24a, 1/26/24
In reply to eiggA2002
eiggA2002 said:

Sad day, but a day that was going to happen eventually. Just not as early as today dang it!
Sums up my feelings perfectly. I thought we had 2-3 more years.
ChipFTAC01
9:29a, 1/26/24
The one good thing is he's stepping aside when the squad is in a fantastic place as (I'd say the best in England when you look at their age) and their form is flying. Rather than him getting sacked or stepping aside when he csnt do it and they've slipped and then someone else will need to right the ship and start their own project. Whoever follows will be able to continue and then slowly mold the team to their vision.

Other nice thing is I don't see their being an exodus of players or the kinds of locker room divas that will make it hard for New Manager to step in and assert their vision.
AG@RICE
9:41a, 1/26/24
I'm so glad that Jurgen is a Red.
I'm so glad he delivered what he said.
Jurgen said to me, you know. We'll win the Premier League, you know. He said so.
I'm in love with him and I feel fine.
aeroag14
9:58a, 1/26/24
First and only call right now should be to Xabi. And that should be the only target until he is either the next Liverpool manager or has made it completely clear that he will not be taking the job
FriedTex
10:07a, 1/26/24
In reply to AG@RICE
AG@RICE said:

Jurgen said to me, you know. We'll win the Premier League, you know. He said so.

God we have to win the league this year. It would feel incomplete without getting at least 2 under his leadership
ChipFTAC01
10:59a, 1/26/24
In reply to AG@RICE
AG@RICE said:

Despite what he said repeatedly during his video about not making the games about him, I really want the game on Sunday to be 90 minutes of this. Nothing else.
ChipFTAC01
11:00a, 1/26/24
In reply to FriedTex
FriedTex said:

AG@RICE said:

God we have to win the league this year. It would feel incomplete without getting at least 2 under his leadership

Truth

It really is a shame that his tenure coincided with thr City buzzsaw. He could be going for his 4th title this year.
jeffk
11:04a, 1/26/24
In reply to ChipFTAC01
Yeah, what could have been...

2021-22: Second to City by one point
2018-19: Second to City by one point
ChipFTAC01
11:32a, 1/26/24
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

Yeah, what could have been...

2021-22: Second to City by one point
2018-19: Second to City by one point

Well at least we know that City built their team the right way and it was a fair fight.
OregonAggie
1:32p, 1/26/24
In reply to YNWA.2013
YNWA.2013 said:

Klopp is saying that he may never manage again and he will certainly never manage another team in England. I hope we offer him some role now or in the future, whenever he wants it. I'd make him Sporting Director.

I hope FSG don't drop the ball in the next months as we transition to the next era. Klopp has transformed the club and I really hope we don't go back to the Hodgson, Rodgers days.

I bet we definitely sell Salah in the summer now, hopefully for 150M+ GBP. And we use that money for a new CB, LB, and ST.

As much as I love Klopp and as much as this guts me, I think we hire a great coach and keep him out of it. I think him sticking on board in some way will make it harder on the next guy.

I think he needs a break and I can't wait to see him coaching Germany in the near future!
YNWA.2013
2:14p, 1/26/24
"I'm still a normal guy but I don't have a normal life and I don't want to wait until I'm too old to live a normal life"

Respect.
-FTA c/o 2013
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 24 of 43
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode