* Liverpool 2023-2024 Thread *
69,724 Views | 1495 Replies
hoosierAG
2:41p, 1/31/24
In reply to OregonAggie
Well said. And Bradley ….dude is becoming unstoppable in the lineup. Nails.
Crispin Torque
2:54p, 1/31/24
What a player!
hoosierAG
2:55p, 1/31/24
As I was saying….Bradley
OregonAggie
2:56p, 1/31/24
In reply to hoosierAG
hoosierAG said:

Well said. And Bradley ….dude is becoming unstoppable in the lineup. Nails.

Are you Nostradamus??
jeffk
4:00p, 1/31/24
Lol. Anfield is ROCKING tonight.

Crispin Torque
4:06p, 1/31/24
Quintessential Nunez game. He is chaos personified.
jeffk
4:41p, 1/31/24
I did realize today that I was never going to get to see Klopp coach Liverpool in person. I'd hoped to be able to make it out that way sometime in the next year or two.
hoosierAG
5:12p, 1/31/24
In reply to jeffk
Same, was hoping to go next year.
hoosierAG
5:13p, 1/31/24
And how do you drop Bradley from the starting lineup right now??
ChipFTAC01
9:25p, 1/31/24
In reply to hoosierAG
hoosierAG said:

And how do you drop Bradley from the starting lineup right now??

Conor's about to Wally Pipp Trent.
YNWA.2013
9:58p, 1/31/24
In reply to jeffk
Just go some time in the next three months. Savings be damned.

Joking aside, I'm hearing prices for the last game of the season are insane. Like 5 figures for a single ticket insane. Hopefully we're putting on the final touches to an EPL title that day (or better yet, it's already done and dusted) and Anfield sends Klopp out on the highest of highs.
-FTA c/o 2013
ChipFTAC01
10:17p, 1/31/24
Watching the game now. This is bonerific football.
ChipFTAC01
10:19p, 1/31/24
I saw some "supercomputer" predicted last week we'd finish on 84 pts and 2nd to City on 87 or so. I have no idea how we'd drop 15 points between now and end of season.
jeffk
9:51a, 2/1/24
Message from Pep Lijnders about his leaving. I still hold out a bit of hope that he might change his mind and stay on in some capacity, but I think he's hoping to get a head manager position.

OregonAggie
10:57a, 2/1/24
In reply to jeffk
I love Pep but I'm on the opposite side of this: I think the team needs him to leave. We need the new manager to bring his guys and own the place. Pep staying could lead to confusion with the direction.

I'm for a fresh start. I think we'll see Salah leave this summer for a fee and perhaps VVD too based on recent comments, but damn we could get much younger and set this club up for 10 years if they do it right.
jeffk
11:18a, 2/1/24
In reply to OregonAggie
I go back and forth. We have such an excellent core currently, so I think that a little consistency in leadership would be helpful in capitalizing on that. On the other hand, a new philosophy might be great in keeping things fresh and evolving.
AG@RICE
11:48a, 2/1/24
There is no guarantee that "fresh" and "new" will equal "better". Under Jurgen, the leadership at the top of this club has been in another stratosphere compared to the prior 20 years. We currently have the look of a juggernaut, but empires crumble just as easily as they are built. We could easily regress to that past version of Liverpool, where we waste money chasing the future.

My first choice manager is Xabi, no question. He is the perfect person to build on what we have. That said, there really isn't a #2 that I like more than Pep. I'd much rather have Pep try to hold onto a winning formula than have a new manager slowly disassemble our momentum to fit his vision.

I'm ok with Mo leaving, his days as a peak player are numbered. I still think Virgil has 4 more years of greatness if we can manage his minutes, I'd like him signed to a new contract immediately.
hoosierAG
6:57a, 2/2/24
Nunez doubtful for Arsenal match. A foot problem and was in a boot after Wednesday's game apparently.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/darwin-nunez-injury-liverpool-fc-arsenal-b1136583.html

YNWA.2013
8:14a, 2/2/24
In reply to AG@RICE
This current team is set up in Klopp's image. I think the next manager should try to continue what we have in the best possible sense (since there is no one else on Earth like Klopp). Which is why I would not be opposed to a Ljinders appointment. However, he has very little (unsuccessful) time as a First Team manager. I hope he does well in whatever chapter he has next and, who knows, maybe the Liverpool door will be open to him one day.

I think Xabi Alonso is smart enough to tweak his tactics to suit the team at his disposal. He is the frontrunner and probably most fans' number 1 choice. I wish Klopp was stepping down at the end of next season to give Xabi another year to hone his managerial skills before stepping into the high pressure demands of Premier League management.

Other names I have read tossed around include de Zerbi, Nagelsmann, Luis Enrique (no thank you). And the darkest horse I have seen, Thomas Frank at Brentford. I have also read that Liverpool are feeling out Michael Edwards to see if he would be interested in a return. That would make this managerial hire that much more interesting.
-FTA c/o 2013
ChipFTAC01
8:23a, 2/2/24
Read a couple of things that Edward's has rebuffed the approach
YNWA.2013
9:13a, 2/2/24
In reply to ChipFTAC01
That sucks for us, but probably makes sense for him. A lot of uncertainty coming up for Liverpool. I think he is looking for a job with a club with deep transfer pockets. I'm surprised he didn't take the Chelsea job when it was reportedly offered to him. By turning down Liverpool, Edwards is able to keep his hands clean and his stellar reputation intact.

(I know we still have everything to play for this season and no fan is crazy enough to think of the following but me). But I mean, just looking at the current squad: VvD will be 33 by start of next season, Matip & Thiago are 32, Salah turns 32 in June, Alisson is 32 in October, Endo is 31 in a couple days, and Andrew Roberton is 30 in March. Jota and Diaz are 27 and should be at the peak of their powers for the next couple seasons. And Joe Gomez has impressed this season at 26. Everyone else is 25 and under.

Upcoming Contract Expiry:
  • Thiago (32) - June 2024
  • Matip (32) - June 2024
  • Adrian (37) - June 2024
  • VvD (32) - June 2025
  • Salah (31) - June 2025
  • TAA (25) - June 2025
  • Konate (24) - June 2026
  • Kelleher (25) - June 2026
  • Robbo (29) - June 2026

Thiago (32) : World-class player when he is fit. Problem is, he is never fit.
My verdict: Let contract expire and Move On.

Matip (32) : What a wonderful servant to the club Matip has been. Joined the club during Klopp;s first summer transfer window and has been a stud in the back. Unfortunately, I think he has played his last game in a Liverpool shirt.
My verdict: Sign another CB and Move On.

Adrian (37) : Seems to be content being third choice, collecting a paycheck, and being a presence in the dressing room. We're going to need to eventually sign Alisson's successor but is not a pressing need at this time.
My verdict: Extend 1 year and push that GK can down the road

Van Dijk (32) : I agree Virgil is a stud that probably has another season or two in him at the top level (see: Thiago Silva). His exceptional leadership is unmatched and the calmness he brings at the back should allow Konate, Quansah, and Gomez to continue to develop.
My verdict: I EXTEND him through 2027 at least

Salah (32) : This is where you have to think with your head and not your heart. Bc my heart says you keep him until the end of his career. He has been one of, if not THE, best Klopp signing. And I love the way he plays. He is the utmost professional and, by all accounts, is a physical specimen that takes his job, body, nutrition, etc very seriously. He probably has another 3 or 4 seasons left in him. But will his heart even be in without Klopp? My head thinks Klopp is the only manager he wants to play for at Liverpool and will secretly push for a transfer. I don't think he'll say anything publicly (well, his loud mouthed agent might). If that's the case, I hope Saudi comes in with a 150M+ offer and his parting gift to LFC is a nice financial package.
My verdict: With a heavy heart, I say SELL.

TAA (25) : No brainer. Should be a Liverpool lifer and future Liverpool captain.
My verdict: EXTEND for 5+ years and make him one of the highest earners at the club.

Konate (24) : These next few that don't expire until 2026, we can take our time on. Maybe don't even address until December 2024 at the earliest, Summer 2025 at the latest. But I think Konate will be the next crown jewel in the Liverpool defense.
My verdict: Wait and eventually EXTEND.

Kelleher (25) : He is tough to diagnose. He has been pretty good when called upon but does not inspire the confidence that Alisson does. But then again not many do when compared to, what is arguably, the best GK on the planet. The playing lifespan of a GK is different and Alisson should probably still be our No.1 for at least four more seasons. Kelleher has expressed a desire for more playing time and may push hard for a move, sooner than later.
My verdict: Make him deputise for Alisson for one more season and get another GK in Summer 2025 allowing Liverpool to eventually grant his wish and SELL him.

Robertson (29) : Liverpool are in need of another LB. Tsimikas is a good backup that does well when rotated in. Would he be my No.1 choice? I say no. Robertson has logged a ton of minutes. He is one to watch as his body ages with the demands of high level football. I could be wrong, but he does not seem like the maniacal type that will over obsess on his body to keep playing a few more seasons (like Milner, Ronaldo, and Salah seem to be).
My verdict: Bring in a LB this summer and let them develop for a season under Robbo. If Newcastle do have to sell, I go for Tino Livramento and SELL Robbo Summer 2025.

Players to look out for and possibly sell to raise funds:
  • Nat Phillips (as he is every year)
  • Rhys Williams
  • Fabio Carvalho
  • Calvin Ramsey
  • Endo

The next sporting director has to be more ruthless with contracts than what we've seen in the past. We have allowed so many players to leave on a free that we should have recouped some sort of transfer fee for. (I'm thinking of Emre Can, Sturridge, Clyne, Wijnaldum, Origi, Milner, Firmino, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain). I think those players would have easily yielded at least 120M (an average of 13M ea). Imagine what Klopp could have done with an extra 100M. That would have been enough for my dream signing of Jude Bellingham last summer.
-FTA c/o 2013
ChipFTAC01
9:27a, 2/2/24
I think I agree with all if that. Salah is thr only one I'm not 100% on.
AG@RICE
10:48a, 2/2/24
In reply to YNWA.2013
I'd give Robbo 3 more years. He was playing well before a fluke injury took him down. He has been a very consistent performer and I think his leadership is necessary in this transition. I'm not sure if we need to buy a new left back either. Owen Beck appears to be a really good prospect and almost broke into the team before we sent him back on loan. It might be worth giving him a shot as the second choice LB. I'm not actually the biggest fan of Tsimkas. He is a great offensive weapon, but I don't really trust his defense.

I'd also cut bait on Adrian. If we sell Kelleher (which I think we should do), I don't want to enter the season with Adrian being the primary backup. In fact, I never actually want to see Adrian on the field...itll be an absolute worst case scenario.
OregonAggie
11:20a, 2/2/24
In reply to YNWA.2013
It's driven me crazy the last 5 years of watching guys leave on free transfers. Damn seek these guys and get something back! Why is Nat Phillips still here? I like him a lot but he never plays. Never. We've had numerous clubs offering to purchase him and we just keep loaning him out. Eventually he's leaving for free.
eiggA2002
12:04p, 2/2/24
Virg is going nowhere this season. His comments were taken completely out of context. We do have some big decisions to make this summer and next though. I have a suspicion that Mo signs a new deal, but will depend on the new manager obviously. He doesn't want to go to Saudi from what I've read.

Truthfully don't think we do much in the summer transfer window unless we have a biggish outgoing. Conor Bradley may have saved us $25-$35mm as Trent cover/RB.

Also, I can't imagine this is a hot take, but Gomez starts at LB until further notice. He's taken the shirt imho.
YNWA.2013
8:48p, 2/2/24
In reply to eiggA2002
I do agree Gomez has earned first choice LB. I hope that makes Robbo work that much harder to take it back. Competition is good. Is Gomez's Liverpool future at LB though? I'd argue it's at CB. But he has shown he is capable of playing anywhere he is needed. What a great asset he is. I believe he was signed by Brendan Rodgers!
-FTA c/o 2013
hoosierAG
11:52a, 2/3/24
May be without Bradley too, as his father just passed. Way too young for that.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/conor-bradleys-father-dies-serious-171803565.html

According to that, he was tipped to start over TAA but who knows. Regardless, bigger things than that obviously with this.
jeffk
6:49a, 2/4/24
ChipFTAC01
6:51a, 2/4/24
jeffk
6:59a, 2/4/24
In reply to hoosierAG
hoosierAG said:

May be without Bradley too, as his father just passed. Way too young for that.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/conor-bradleys-father-dies-serious-171803565.html

According to that, he was tipped to start over TAA but who knows. Regardless, bigger things than that obviously with this.

Oh, that's awful.
AG@RICE
10:13a, 2/4/24
No Nunez, No Szobo, No Bradley....

Gravenberch is going to be a huge weak link today. He has been very subpar his last few performances.
hoosierAG
10:27a, 2/4/24
Man, the injuries/absentees this year have just been brutal.
YNWA.2013
10:55a, 2/4/24
I don't know why we can't handle the all out press Arsenal do in the first 15. You know it's coming. They do it every time. Same thing happened last time out against them. Then we woke up and outplayed them the rest of the game. Time to start playing, dammit!
-FTA c/o 2013
AG@RICE
11:17a, 2/4/24
Piss poor performance across the board so far. Not a single player has performed well except for Allison.
AG@RICE
11:19a, 2/4/24
Arsenal doing us a solid!
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 26 of 43
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE