****Bundesliga 2023/24 Season Thread****

6,094 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Legal Custodian
deadbq03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
deadbq03 said:

Legal Custodian said:

Dortmund winning today against Atletico definitely helps the chances of the Bundesliga getting the extra spot in the UCL next year. Pretty much eliminates La Liga from sniping that last spot seeing as there's only Real Madrid left.

It's down to England vs Germany on the coefficients.
IIIFFFF (big big if) Dortmund can win the UCL and Germany gets the 5th coefficient spot and Dortmund finish 5th in Bundesliga, then Bundesliga would get 6 spots.

But back on planet earth, Aston Villa are gonna crush the conference league and get England more points, City is likely to win the UCL and get England more points, and if we're honest, it's likely that both Bundesliga clubs will lose in the next UCL round (assuming Bayern can manage to win today which is a poor assumption). But Europa League is in our favor with Liverpool unlikely to advance, and Leverkusen looking for 3 trophies.

It's gonna be tight. Difference might come down to math… England's points get divided 8 ways while Germany's get divided by 7.
Ok nm, we're probably fine now. Congrats on the win.
deadbq03
AG
Glad he's sticking with DFB.

Will be interesting to see who Bayern approach next.
Legal Custodian
AG
deadbq03
AG
FYI - I saw somewhere that we clinch the 5th spot with 2 wins or 4 draws across any legs of the next round… or if any team advances.
deadbq03
AG
deadbq03 said:

Just hire someone. Anyone. Maybe give TT another lame duck season. Then next summer have a big meeting with Bayern, DFB, Klopp, and Nagelmann and figure out who's coaching where.
I'm sure the X below hits your feed too but I found it funny that I might be on to something here. Obviously Flick is more than an "anybody" but it's funny that they might actually be considering having a short term hire and then getting Klopp.

It also might be a bold assumption that he'd even want Bayern. I have this weird suspicion that Klopp will avoid limelight entirely and go back to Mainz… and that would be great for the league if he did.

Legal Custodian
AG
deadbq03 said:

deadbq03 said:

Just hire someone. Anyone. Maybe give TT another lame duck season. Then next summer have a big meeting with Bayern, DFB, Klopp, and Nagelmann and figure out who's coaching where.
I'm sure the X below hits your feed too but I found it funny that I might be on to something here. Obviously Flick is more than an "anybody" but it's funny that they might actually be considering having a short term hire and then getting Klopp.

It also might be a bold assumption that he'd even want Bayern. I have this weird suspicion that Klopp will avoid limelight entirely and go back to Mainz… and that would be great for the league if he did.

I would freaking love that.

But as we all know the only thing that surpasses drama and rumors of College Football recruiting twitter, is hot stove European soccer talk.

If this happens, I would love it. I wanted Flick to stay in Munich as long as possible but he did not get along with Salihamidzic at all. But with him getting sacked last year, it might open the door for Flick to come back. I highly doubt Flick would agree to this plan though.

I could absolutely see Klopp coming back to the Bundesliga and would love for him to do it. I could see him going back to Dortmund too if Terzic has a bad year next year. I'm a big Bundesliga fanboy in general, so whatever makes the league as a whole better is fine with me.
deadbq03
AG
Yeah I follow Leipzig loosely enough that I can root for good things to happen to most other teams.

I think best case scenario for the league would be to see Bayern re-hire Flick, Leverkusen to keep Xavi a few more years, and Klopp to go to Dortmund/Mainz. Throw in Stuttgart holding onto Hoeness and the Bundesliga would be really fun to watch.

And I like Marco Rose, but I do wonder if he's the right answer for Leipzig long term. But in the short term, I'm glad to have this year of stability instead of changing coaches every year like we had been. And since he's a Leipzig native, I think it'd be a great story if he could be a long term success - which for me means some hardware beyond the Pokal.
Legal Custodian
AG
These might be the worst kits I've seen

Furlock Bones
AG
Yikes I guess we know why the DFB left adidas.
Furlock Bones
AG
Leverkusen were down 1-0 to Dortmund until the 97th minute! Draw the match and the unbeaten run marches on.
Legal Custodian
AG
Stuttgart losing to Bremen was a big surprise too
deadbq03
AG
Fun times.

And next week has Leipzig - Dortmund and Leverkusen - Stuttgart.
deadbq03
AG
So… how are you taking the Rangnick rumors? The rest of the world seems to be melting down.

I like him. It's clear to me that Leipzig took steps backward after he left the organization. We still haven't recovered IMO.

It seems like a mistake to me to be chasing guys like Zidane who barely speak English, let alone German. To me, this would be an extremely practical (though clearly unpopular) hire.

That said - if Bayern win the UCL, it's gonna be hard to convince the players that Rangnick has any more to offer than Tuchel… which goes back to me thinking it was crazy to let him be a lame duck.

Or maybe this is all according to plan and behind the scenes they never really wanted to part ways with Tuchel.
Legal Custodian
AG
I'd be okay with Rangnick, to be honest. I think he has the respect of most Germans with his work at Leipzig and the Bundesliga as a whole.

I agree with your thinking about Zidane now, at first I just looked at his results in Madrid and how he knows how to handle a huge club like Bayern. But after thinking on it, yeah he doesn't make the most sense culturally.

I've also seen rumors of Flick making a return and wouldn't hate that either. Long term as opposed to that one year rumor floating about.

On Tuchel, almost every player is against him. The performances in the UCL show you that they'll still get up and play for him in the biggest moments out of self pride. But the issue lies in the day-to-day grind of a season. He's already lost them there.

Tuchel will get a lot of the credit if we somehow win the UCL, but I think it also highlights his failures of day-to-day management of a roster that has followed him throughout his career.
deadbq03
Legal Custodian
AG
What a beating
Furlock Bones
AG
Leverkusen simply unbelievable

GIF Reactor
AG
Wow! How many times this season have they had an equalizer or winner in the 90' or after?
Legal Custodian
AG
Depending on next week, this can turn into one of (if not) THE most successful seasons in Bundesliga history with an all DFL UCL Final, Leverkusen potentially winning Europa, Invincible Season for Leverkusen potentially, and a Pokal, and Liepzig with the Supercup.

And guaranteeing 5 teams into the UCL next season.

All of that success and Bayern not win a single trophy.
deadbq03
AG
Supposedly it's possible to get 6 slots if Dortmund win UCL but are outside the normal Top 4 spots. The way I understand it, the new extra spots get allocated last after everything else, so Dortmund would get in via their UCL championship and then 6th place would get the extra spot.
Legal Custodian
AG
deadbq03 said:

Supposedly it's possible to get 6 slots if Dortmund win UCL but are outside the normal Top 4 spots. The way I understand it, the new extra spots get allocated last after everything else, so Dortmund would get in via their UCL championship and then 6th place would get the extra spot.

You're just saying that so I'll root for Leipzig the rest of the way

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.