EPL Relegation Watch (2023-2024 Season)

8,398 Views | 182 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by OregonAggie
Aston94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well boys and girls, its that time of year where we get to see the battle in the back half of the EPL table as teams seek to avoid demotion out of the Premier League and down to the EFL Championship Division. Bottom three teams will go down, and right now it looks like this could be one of the more ho-hum relegation battles in recent memory, with the three promoted clubs all sitting in the bottom three. The real wild card here is that the next two clubs (Nottingham Forest and Everton) are both facing point deductions for Financial Fair Play violations. How many points and when those deductions will be handed out are all pertinent to the discussion.

So we will follow the matches and keep track of the teams standings, then move them around as the point deductions are handed out.

Current Standings
Team. Matches Played. Points. Goal Differential.
15. Brentford. 28 26 -12
16. Everton. 28 25 -10
17. Nottingham Forest. 28 24 -16
18. Luton. 27 21 -17
19. Burnley. 28 14 -35
20. Sheffield United 28 14 -50

Brentford. The Bees sit in 15th place, 5 points above the relegation zone. The best thing the Bees have going for them is that they also have two clubs between themselves and relegation spots who are likely to lose points due to FFP violations. Brentford have claimed 7 points since the New Year (with a 2-1-6 record), which doesn't sound good, but wait until you see the other teams below them! Brentford have a manageable schedule, with only 2 remaining games against top 6 clubs and 4 against other relegation battlers. I don't see the Bees being relegated unless there is a massive collapse, but they need to claim more points for sure.

Everton. This has become an annual magic trick avoidance of relegation for Everton, and you wonder when their luck will run out. The FA may say it is this year, as they club has already incurred a loss of 6 points and is facing another point deduction. The play of the Toffees has not helped matters as of late, as the club has not won an EPL patch in 2024 (going 0-5-3 for 5 points). There are plenty of opportunities for points however, as Everton still face all 5 fellow relegation clubs and have just one match remaining against top 6 opposition.

Nottingham Forest. Sitting in 17th place on 24 points, I would not be too concerned about Forest avoiding relegation, but for the possible point deduction sitting out there. If they get dinged for 6-10 points things could get real interesting. Forest have just 4 points since the New Year (1-1-6) so their form is not great, They do have a decent remaining schedule with only 2 top 6 games remaining and 4 against others in the relegation hunt.

Luton Town. Luton are a great story, how much fun has it been to watch matches at Kenilworth Road? The Hatters currently sit in 18th place, just 3 points behind Forest. Given that Forest and Everton might also lose points, Luton are actually close enough to claim safety, especially if they could claim some more wins. They have taken 6 points since the New Year (with a 1-3-4 record), and they have the toughest remaining schedule with 3 matches against top 6 clubs and only 2 remaining against other relegation battlers.

Burnley and Sheffield United. These two teams have both had abysmal seasons, each claiming only 14 points, 10 points below 18th place Forest. Their only hope is 10 point deductions for Forest and Everton, but I don't see that happening after Everton's prior deduction was reduced to 6. Both clubs need wins in a hurry. and I just don't see that in either of their future.

Looking forward to keeping track of this again, and will mix in some promotion/relegation talk as well for all the lower levels.

wangus12
AG
Hoping Luton can somehow pull it off
10Aggie10
AG
- I wouldn't be sad at all if a Pickford-led team (Everton) got relegated.

- no hope for Burnley and Sheffield. they gone

- it will be between Luton, Forest, and Everton with the latter two's fates tied to point deductions (if Everton loses ten or more then they're more likely to go down; if Forest loses 5 or more then their chances of dropping go up).

- Palace and Brentford will stay in that not-quite-safe zone, but will never really be in true danger of relegation
Dre_00
Luton spent a grand total of 20 million GBP in the transfer season on players who were mostly 25 or under. They used the 2023 summer window to build a roster for the 2024-25 Championship Season and pocket the excess for financial security (and mandatory stadium improvements). An extremely prudent, smart if not terribly exciting plan.

And now look at them. In with a real chance of staying up. I hope they can manage it somehow because it's nice when small clubs do smart things and have it work out for them. Would love to see another season of them in that weird ass stadium and would be interesting to see how they approach the 2024 summer window with another year of EPL TV revenue in their bank account.
59 South
AG
Great post - I'm following extra close this year as my Bees may end up being in the scrap at the end if they don't notch a couple wins soon. Hopefully that starts Saturday vs Burnley.

You may as well include Palace as well since the oddsmakers actually have them higher chance than Brentford. I'm guessing this has to do with the Bees now having an easier remaining schedule. The past few weeks has been brutal with games against City, Liverpool x2, Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham away... Also Mbeumo is due to come back end of March against Man U which is their last game against a Big 6 club.

Bees have been decimated by injuries and the Toney suspension this year and just can't get in a groove. Hopefully Mbeumo can set the pace better than Wissa/Maupay and get some points against the lesser clubs when they can play 3 up front instead of having to play defensive.

KCup17
AG
This is my prediction for relegation:
Nottingham Forest
Burnley
Sheffield United
deadbq03
AG
Crazy that last year all three promoted teams survived, and this year all three might go down.

I'll join yall in hoping Forest go down instead of Luton. As Dre mentioned, Luton handled promotion very responsibly… and on the flip side of that, Forest went bananas with spending, and probably broke rules along the way.
Aston94
AG
We have one midweek game this week as Luton and Bournemouth will replay the match which was abandoned when Tom Lockyer went into cardiac arrest during play.

Wednesday
Bournemouth v Luton Town (2:30 pm, Vitality Stadium, Peacock)--The Hatter will travel down to the South Coast for a Wednesday evening match at Bournemouth. With a win Luton would pull even with Forest on points and possibly see themselves out of the bottom 3. Bournemouth will see this as a big chance to pull themselves away from the relegation battle, as a win would see them climb to 35 points, 14 clear of the bottom 3. The Cherries have had a good run of late, claiming points in 3 of their last 4 matches (1-2-1 for 5 points). While Luton have claimed only 1 point from their last 4. Bournemouth have not been a good home side this season, claiming only 14 points at the Vitality, but Luton have been equally poor away from home, claiming only 10 points on the road. Something will have to give tonight, and I expect a high energy game from both clubs.

Enjoy the Game!

Aston94
AG
Luton pouring it on to Bournemouth, up 3-0 at halftime.

If results hold Luton will climb above Forest on goal differential. Luton an Forest meet in a huge match on Saturday.
E
AG
C'mon Hatters close out Bournemouth! Have a real good chance hosting Nottingham Forest this weekend...
E
AG
3 - 3 ... that was fast
wangus12
AG
Oh Luton why?
Aston94
AG
Wow. What a gut punch for Luton. That's a loss they will remember if they are relegated. 4-3 loss when up 3-0 at half.

Heck of a game.
KCup17
AG
That's got to suck… no idea how you don't come away with points if your Luton
deadbq03
AG
I know we're all on team Luton to some extent, but how 'bout we congratulate Bournemouth on coming back to get the 3pts they need too. And congratulate Tyler Adams on getting 20 first team minutes for the first time in forever.

If I had to pick any team in the list I want to stay up it's Bournemouth so that Tyler Adams doesn't have to move down or transfer again. I really hope he can settle in to a starting role down the stretch here and continue that next year.

And yeah, I know they really aren't at risk, but going down 3-0 to Luton at home is the kind of thing that can cause disbelief and start a run of bad form.
Aston94
AG
Big Relegation Battle today as Luton hosts Forest.
Aston94
AG
Forest up 1-0 at half on a Chris Wood goal.
Aston94
AG
Burnley up 1-0 at half over Brentford, and the Bees are a player down, so great opportunity for 3 points for Burnley.
E
AG
Luton got away with a point but needed more. They just look gassed, come out hot in the first 30 but give it up after that.

Need to sneak a win in the next couple very tough games or else they're gonna rely on NF to be deducted a lot of points in order to not be relegated.
Aston94
AG
Rough week for Luton, losing from being up 3-0 at half against Bournemouth and getting only one point against Forest at home, but the point (and Forest not getting 3 points) keeps Luton in the fight.

Burnley's win over Brentford does little for Burnley's chances of safety, but I am sure things are getting a bit tense for the Bees in West London. They need to start claiming points to pull themselves out of any relegation battle.

No more relegation matches before the international break, so will be two weeks and then the final push will begin in earnest.
Rudyjax
AG
Forest just got 4 points deducted.
Aston94
AG
Here are the revised Standings going into the International Break and taking into consideration the 4 point deduction handed down to Forest. I am sure they will appeal in hopes of getting the point deduction reduced, even a point is vital as this point in the season, but we will assume 4 points for now.

Current Standings
15. Brentford. 29 26 -13
16. Everton. 28 25 -10
17. Luton. 29 22 -18
18. Nottingham Forest. 29 21 -16
19. Burnley. 29 17 -34
Mathguy64
AG
100 plus allegations against Man Dhabi and poor Forest gets busted for mixing the championship and EPL finances.

Gotta love the FA money cops. They sure know how to crack down on the baddies.
KCup17
AG
So far I'm nails on my prediction!
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Mathguy64 said:

100 plus allegations against Man Dhabi and poor Forest gets busted for mixing the championship and EPL finances.

Gotta love the FA money cops. They sure know how to crack down on the baddies.
seriously. What a joke. Call me when man dhabi gets a proportionate deduction and immediately finds themselves playing non-league football.
Faustus
Rudyjax said:

Forest just got 4 points deducted.
Down from 6 points for an early plea/exceptional cooperation.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13210869/Why-Nottingham-Forest-hit-four-point-deduction-breaking-Premier-League-financial-rules-Evertons-six-point-penalty.html

Quote:

. . .
The Commission stated that there was 'no dispute that early plea/exceptional cooperation should result in a deduction.'

The Premier League had suggested two points be deducted from the penalty imposed on Forest, while the club pushed for a one-third reduction which would have taken the sanction down to three points.

The Commission ultimately determined not to deduct a third point for an early plea, instead deciding to deduct two points for the early plea and cooperation.

Forest were ultimately hit with a four-point penalty as a result.
. . .
It's like a plea agreement and time off for good behavior rolled into one. A deduction of the deduction for not making too much of a fuss.
Showstopper
AG
Has anyone said what Everton's second charge would be worth? Another 2-3 points, or are they letting the six points take care of the second charge? Seems like they would want another pound of flesh (and unlike many on here, I really want Everton to stay up; not liking Pickford isn't a great reason because he wouldn't go down with them).

In adjacent news, top 2 promotion spots in the Championship are in a really tight race between Leicester, Leeds, and Ipswich at 82, 82, and 81 points (Foxes have a game in hand).
wangus12
AG
It continues to crack me up that they have no issue slapping a couple points of teams in the lower table over a charge here and there, but refuse to make any moves against City with their 115 charges
ChipFTAC01
AG
wangus12 said:

It continues to infuriate the **** out of me that they have no issue slapping a couple points of teams in the lower table over a charge here and there, but refuse to make any moves against City with their 115 charges

Fify
KCup17
AG
Their day of reckoning will come
Mathguy64
AG
KCup17 said:

Their day of reckoning will come
I hate to break it to you, but no it won't. The last time City got busted, the CAS basically said "yep they cheated, but it was sooooo long ago that we don't think they need to get punished."
Aston94
AG
The International Break is over and we are beginning the mad dash to the end of the season. The Relegation battle will really heat up as the bottom clubs will be scratching and clawing for every point they can get. Forest's point deduction brought Burnley back into the battle, as they only trail 17th place Luton by 5 points. IF (big if) Sheffield can put together a win or two they also could find themselves right back in the middle of the relegation battle. On the other side Brentford are in desperate need of a couple wins to stay out of the mess.

Current Standings
15. Brentford. 29 26 -13
16. Everton. 28 25 -10
17. Luton. 29 22 -18
18. Nottingham Forest. 29 21 -16
19. Burnley. 29 17 -34

Key Weekend Matches

Saturday
Bournemouth v. Everton (10am, Vitality Stadium, Peacock). The Toffees will make the long trip to the South Coast for a mid-afternoon match with the Cherries. Everton will be looking for a repeat of their performance the last time these two met, when they blanked Bournemouth 3-0 in October at Goodison Park. Those were better times for the Toffees, who are 0-3-2 in their last 5 matches (for 2 points) and have not won an EPL match since December 16 (that's 3 1/2 months ago for those keeping track). Meanwhile, the Cherries have a 2-1-2 record (8 points) in their last 5 and find themselves safely out of any relegation talk. Everton know their is another point deduction looming for them so every point is valuable.

Chelsea v. Burnley (10am, Stamford Bridge, Peacock). Chelsea will welcome Burnley to West London for a mid-afternoon kickoff in a matchup which has been dominated by the Blues. Chelsea have only lost one EPL match to Burnley, going 12-1-4 in 17 matches. Forest's point deduction has given the Clarets new hope, along with claiming a win and draw in their two matches before the break. Chelsea have likewise found their best form of the year, claiming 2 wins and 2 draws in their last 4 EPL matches.

Nottingham Forest v. Crystal Palace (10am, City Grounds, USA Network). Forest will welcome the Londoners to the Midlands for a Saturday afternoon tilt. Both clubs could use the 3 points, as Forest now find themselves in 18th place, and Palace are hovering just outside the relegation battle in 14th position on 29 points. The two sides battled to a 0-0 draw in October when they met at Selhurst Park. Forest have gone 1-3-1 for 4 points and Palace have gone 1-2-2 for 5 points in their last 5, so both could use the 3 points from this match. Look for the Forest fans to come out in loud, angry support of their club who were just penalized 4 points for FFP violations.

Sheffield United v. Fulham (10am, Bramall Lane, Peacock). If the Blades are going to get back into a relegation fight, then they better start getting 3 points out of matches soon, and a visit from the West London club is as good of place as any to start. Sheffield have been a staple at the bottom of the table all season, and were soundly defeated by the Cottagers 3-1 when the clubs met in October. Sheffield are 0-3-1 in their last four for 1 point while Fulham have pulled themselves out of any relegation discussion going 3-2-0 in their last 5 for 9 points. Time is running out on the Blades, so a win here would be of high importance.

Tottenham v. Luton (10am, Hotspur Stadium, Peacock). Tottenham will welcome the Hatters to North London on Saturday for a North London Derby (?) (not sure how far north qualifies as North London these days). Luton have new energy and hope and find themselves in 17th position, 1 point above Forest. Luton are 0-3-2 in their last five, while Tottenham have been on a bit of a good run, going 3-2-0 in their last 5. The Spurs are battling for Champions League placement, so a win against lowly Luton at home is seen as vital, while a point would be a great result for the traveling Hatters.

Brentford v. Manchester United (3pm, Community Stadium, Peacock). United will travel to West London for a Saturday night clash with the Bees, who are suddenly right in the middle of a relegation battle. The Bees have gone 0-4-1 in their last 5, a run that has dropped them into the relegation fight, while United are 3-2-0 in their last five. United claimed a hard fought 2-1 win the last time the two met in October, so the Bees will be desperate to reverse their current form and that result this coming Saturday.

Happy Easter and Enjoy the games!

Aston94
AG
Luton with early goal against Spurs!
Mathguy64
AG
NF down early to CP.
Aston94
AG
Halftime scores:

Forest 0-1 Palace
Sheffield 0-0 Fulham
Burnley 0-1 Chelsea (Burnley down a man)
Luton 1-0 Spurs
Everton 0-0 Bournemouth

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.