***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

802,455 Views | 17433 Replies | Last: 7 min ago by tjack16
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Astros need to find a power surge. Maybe a statistical correction is coming... Astros 4th in Hard Hit %, 5th in exit velocity and 3rd in launch angle, and tied for 4th in doubles...but 14th in homers.

Need Bregman and Chas to start popping. Yainer and Yordan are in mini droughts, too.
Beat40
redline248 said:

The Astros need to find a power surge. Maybe a statistical correction is coming... Astros 4th in Hard Hit %, 5th in exit velocity and 3rd in launch angle, and tied for 4th in doubles...but 14th in homers.

Need Bregman and Chas to start popping. Yainer and Yordan are in mini droughts, too.

Agreed - the lack of slugging, especially with men on base, is killing the offense.
JDUB08AG
AG
This season has humbled me real fast. Really puts into perspective how impressive the last 7 years have been.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
While he needs to mature out of this trend, I am wondering if we should consider moving Yainer up in the order, even to the leadoff spot to make him a table-setter instead of a RBI guy. His approach is night and different different.

In the big picture, I don't necessarily like such a strategy, but when you are looking to shake things up and help run production, I am wondering if we should consider something like: Diaz - Altuve - Yordan - Tucker as the top 4.

And I really think we need to start giving Caratini starts at 1B. Aside from the obvious black hole at 1B, he is one guy who seems to be consistently putting up good ABs, even if he is not a world beater.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Might want to start giving a ****
Maroon&Fight
If the trend continues and the Astros do end up selling off a bunch of players at the deadline, I don't think the rebuild will be all that long if not back for 2025. I think most of our guys will demand MLB-ready prospects and/or high ceiling players in AA
cc10106
Beat40 said:

redline248 said:

Agreed - the lack of slugging, especially with men on base, is killing the offense.
Currently tied with 6 other teams for 10th in homers with 26 so far, but out of those 6 teams only Oakland has scored less runs while Arizona has scored 48 more times with the same amount of games played.
JCA1
AG
These tweets are pretty sobering.
Cromagnum
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Might start to give a **** if you care to play at any competitive level after this season. I wouldn't contract him.
redline248
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I don't have to read the article to know this is a case of Chandler being a dbag and asking some loaded question and Bregman bristling.
redline248
AG
But on the other side, maybe Bregman should worry about playing at an above average level and work his way up to caring about elite.
Prosperdick
AG
Beat40 said:

You guys are so damn emotional and have become just as bad as Yankees fans.

The majority of this coaching staff has been here since 2019, which they have seen more success than just about any coaching staff in baseball the last 20 years.

So yeah, let's just retool the coaching staff because the elite bullpen wasn't resigned because the owner has a boner for Hader alone, Bregman having the absolutely worst April of his career aside from his rookie season, Abreu (who the owner pushed to sign without a GM) isn't a baseball player anymore, Yordan who can't seem to find his power stroke, and Tucker, who while having a great season, is a singles machine with men on base.

Of course the answer is retool the coaching staff.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

You read that as not giving a *****
BCEDAg
AG
So no Garrett Cooper signing yet? Come on Dana all you had to do was call his agent and meet for a beer while in town. It's not that hard.
iBrad
AG
JCA1 said:

These tweets are pretty sobering.

No one saw this coming. Our struggles down the stretch last season are well noted, but that did not foreshadow starting pitching injuries, the back end of bullpen sucking, or Bregman not producing. Hell, there weren't even signs that Abreu would fall off a cliff, as that was when he started to actually be somewhat productive.

To look back at last season and try to say we should have seen this coming is a ridiculous take.
Ag by Association
Dusty was hired, post "scandal" because he was an African American, MLB great that no one would dare criticize. He did, in fact, inherit an incredible roster and led the team through an otherwise massive public, and media driven whipping boy.

Our problem is not managerial. It's the fellas we believe in and love.

Down with the ship I'll go.
All I do is Nguyen
JDUB08AG said:

This season has humbled me real fast. Really puts into perspective how impressive the last 7 years have been.
this.

Right here. I am forever grateful for the past eight years really, starting in 2016 you could just tell this team was ready to breakout. They were just one HoF pitcher (JV) away from reaching the top
jja79
AG
Anyone else remember 4-20 in 1969? 20th lose was a no hitter by Jim Maloney of the Reds. Next night Don Wilson no hit the Reds and they got on a heater. Just need to get no hit tomorrow.
Beat40
For real. That tweet could not have been more misread by those on this board.
Beat40
I appreciate your thoughts. They echo much of how I feel currently.
MaxPower
I'm not worried about Bregman. He's always been a slow starter. It just happens to be a year when everyone else sucks.
MaxPower
jja79 said:

Anyone else remember 4-20 in 1969? 20th lose was a no hitter by Jim Maloney of the Reds. Next night Don Wilson no hit the Reds and they got on a heater. Just need to get no hit tomorrow.
That team finished with a .500 record.
spadilly
S
I'm just here for Porkchop's Astros Shank tonight.

GigEM96
GigEM96
W
AG
one thing I noticed the other day...going back to the 2017 roster...

among Marwin, Beltran, Gattis, and McCann...one of them (and sometimes two of them) were on the bench every game

so Hinch had a veteran hitter(s) with power available for late game maneuvers

but those days are long gone for the Astros' bench

Farmer1906
AG
Marwin & McCann were full time starters in 2017 and Beltran was pretty terrible. He DH'd There was a lot of Aoki, Fisher, & Marisnick getting ABs. Plus some JD Davis, Tyler White, Cameron Maybin, Juan Centeno, & Tony Kemp too.

I don't disagree we need to improve our bench, but 2017 wasn't some magically deep roster.
redline248
AG
Looking at Kessinger and Singleton as the end of our bench (starting the year) really magnifies what the loss of picks did to our farm. Is there anyone ready to step in and be decent if it was needed in the IF? I don't count Dubon because he does a lot already.

Are either of the SS/2B in Sugarland actual MLB caliber players? Cabbage and Loperfido the current plan at 1B?
W
AG
it looks really good compared to 2024

especially in the power department

I forget Jake M. slugged .495 that year including 16 HR's
jja79
AG
MaxPower said:

jja79 said:

That team finished with a .500 record.

Which was better than they had ever done.

The Mets were under. 500 on June 1 and won 100 games and the WS.

Not expecting either of those things to happen.
houag78
AG
Just calculated an interesting (and worrisome) stat on Yordan - it seems as though he has been streakier than usual this year. Unfortunately his "hitless" games are way up -
'23 pre injury - 16 hitless out of 57 total (28%)
'23 post IL stint - 13 hitless out of 57 total (23%)
'24 so far - 13 hitless out of 26 total (50%)

Makes me wonder if something is wrong w him.
MaxPower
I do think this team can get back to around .500, maybe a little better but this is an older team with pending big free agents from major players this year and next. That simply isn't good enough. If we had a bunch of young guys with a long future it would be a different story.
Ihatefallscounty
AG
Like a week ago, I wasn't ready to press panic, after getting swept by the cubs, I think it's time to press PANIC, and if we get swept by the Rockies, I'll have no faith in this team. Still Love 'em just know it's gonna be a long season.
I live in waco....therefore, I am ready to move elsewhere.
tjack16
AG
tjack16 said:

Win the next 2 series and go 2-0 in Mexico

6-2, to bring you to 12-16 coming back home. That's my hope

And we start the road trip 1-5
Wabs
AG
Wabs said:

Next 15 obviously are critical games: 1 against the Braves today, then we've got the Nats, Cubs, Rockies, Guardians (home) and Mariners (home). Our record needs to somehow (and miraculously) be at least 16-18 after those games. That's going 10-5 to get back into the season.
Welp.....we've gone 1-6 since I posted this.
First Page Last Page
Page 379 of 499

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.