Tiger dumps Foley!

9,033 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by HouAggie
Marauder Blue 6
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
About damn time.
SonnyParker1
AG
Let's get back to winning.
ORAggieFan
So a Foley student wins yesterday and he gets fired today.

This will be fun!
antman8504
AG
^^
Foley's methods work for Mahan and Rose, not for Tiger...
98Ag99Grad
AG
No kidding. Also funny Hunter Mahan and Justin Rose are excellent drivers of the golf ball and Foley, for whatever reason, couldn't help Tiger with that to save his life.
antman8504
AG
Awesome news. Please tiger go back to hitting draws. Only thing now is it will take some time for Tiger to relearn a new swing again, but I think this split is the best for him.
Matsui
Aggie_Eric98
AG
he needs to swallow his pride and go back to Harmon.
antman8504
AG
quote:
he needs to swallow his pride and go back to Harmon.
HouAggie
AG
^
The problem with everyone who says that is they assume Butch would take him back. I don't think he would.
tommeehawk7
If I was Harmon I would tell him to whip out his checkbook and the price , oh about $10,000,000.00,details to be finalized.
bagger05
AG
quote:
he needs to swallow his pride and go back to Harmon

I heard that he tried but Butch told him to piss off. Don't think that I heard about it from any kind of reputable source but it wouldn't surprise me. I doubt Butch is short on ego.

The obvious answer for me would be to publicly apologize for the falling out, take all the blame, and open up the checkbook and pay whatever it takes. But that's what bagger05 would do and of course I don't think that Tiger would be willing to do it.
aggiedent
AG
Whatever swing/style he goes to, it's also going to have to work for his nearly 39 year old body with surgically repaired parts. Sometimes you can't do everything you'd like to do.
gravy97
AG
maybe he could hire us on texags?
diehard03
I think it would be shortsighted to dismiss Tiger so easily. Harmon has a lot to gain by reuniting with him and potentially beating Jack.

However, he may have different goals, and is comfortable helping out other guys.
AgDotCom
I agree. I think there's a 50/50 chance with Harmon. Maybe a little better than that.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
It may not be totally up to Harmon. He consults with the other pros he teaches with before he takes on someone new. At least, that's what I've read re: Jimmy Walker.

Personally, I can't wait to read what Hank Haney has to say on Twitter.
Kramer
AG
No chance with Harmon.

Best selection would be:
A) someone with Harmon-like philosophies.
B) someone experienced with working with older players.
C) someone that makes Tiger focus on playing golf and not focus on playing golf swing.
chico
AG
He needs to go back to Galea.
booradley
AG
his other problem is how cheap he is.

he only paid hank $50k / year
Harry Stone
AG
if he does try going back to Harmon, there's a number of things in play.

first, it may piss off Harmon's other players. guys like rickie and phil may feel a little slighted by the newfound attention with the tiger/butch duo.

second, butch's ego comes into play (moreso than Tiger). Butch already won the game b/t the two. Tiger hasn't and quite possibly won't break Jack's record. harmon knows tiger screwed that up. now, the ego dilemma for Butch comes into play. do you take on Tiger and attempt to get him to break the record? if they rejoin and tiger breaks the record, it would cement Butch as being the greatest teacher in golf history. on the other hand if Tiger can't do it, then how does that change everyone's perception of Butch? do people look at Butch and say he only became this famous because he piggybacked off Tiger's initial run? now I know he still brought Phil's game up, but phil is not Tiger.

Ultimately I think his ego comes into play and he takes Tiger back to show he was in fact the difference maker in Tiger's run at Jack's record.
Unemployed
AG
quote:
his other problem is how cheap he is.

he only paid hank $50k / year

And I'm sure being known as Tiger's coach didn't help him at all with his other business endeavors.
Prior22
AG
Good riddance. Time to go it alone for a little while.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
maybe he could hire us on texags?
jonj101
Honestly, I don't think Harmon has anything left to prove when it comes to his teaching legacy.

Before Tiger came along Harmon was helping Greg Norman. His work with Fowler this year has made him a great contender, and he has numerous good examples in between.

ORAggieFan
How much of 2014 was Tiger's crappy body compared to Foley. Dude won 5 tournaments and Player of the Year under Foley in 2013....
bdenby
AG
No way on Harmon for many reasons. Harmon already has too many good players to have time for Tiger, plus it is a no-win for him, IMHO. Rosfaort said Tiger is looking for a Track Man guy. I expect him to pick a Grant Waite starter kit. Someone that no one outside of huge golf nerds would recognize.
HouAggie
AG
I'll go with 90% injuries and 10% Foley (driver struggles).

I don't care who you are, if you can't practice enough, you can't compete at the highest level.
dodger02
AG
quote:
How much of 2014 was Tiger's crappy body compared to Foley. Dude won 5 tournaments and Player of the Year under Foley in 2013....

And how much of Tiger's crappy body was the result of Foley's mechanics teaching?
aggiebrother33
Hunter and Rose don't have any ailments, their swings look pretty effortless... I think the combination of tiger over doing it in the gym and him coming back too early after each of his injuries is what has been hurting him. Foley is a great instructor, I think Tiger was over-doing what he was telling him. That many practice swings before a shot on the golf course never ends well. I personally hope he gets healthy first, then gets back to the basics of "playing golf" not how his swing should look.

[This message has been edited by aggiebrother33 (edited 8/25/2014 12:41p).]
EllisCoAg
AG
He needs to read Golf Digest and the tips for the senior players and how to cure a slice.
AgDotCom
Tiger won under Harmon, Haney and Foley. As mentioned above, Tiger won 5 times last year and could have easily won the Masters and The Open.

Dude is getting older, he'll be 39 in a few months...that coupled with his health (which are probably related) is the problem. If there's a guru out there that can effectively work with and around the problem, that would be good. Otherwise, either get healthy or good luck.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
He can't control the driver and he is much more inconsistent than he was in his prime. No one is intimidated anymore either. He can cure some of his swing problems, but don't believe he will run off a bunch of victories either no matter who the coach is.
Unemployed
AG
quote:
He can cure some of his swing problems, but don't believe he will run off a bunch of victories either no matter who the coach is.

People have short memories - he won five times last year.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Amen RealTalk
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.