Wildcat golf course- how is it?

7,803 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by Mr.Bond
tandy miller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking of playing this track next Tuesday. Anyone played it recently? If so what kind of shape is it in? Tia
tandy miller
AG
Also, looking for recs on highlands course, not lakes
White Liberals=The Worst
tandy miller said:

Only played it once, but it was great. In great shape and a really cool layout compared to most Houston courses. Quite a few elevation changes, seeing as how you're playing on top of an old landfill.

Bring plenty of balls though. Especially if not playing with someone familiar with course. I seem to remember some blind drives and some deceptive drives that I could have managed better with some advice.
tandy miller
AG
Wycliffe_03 said:

tandy miller said:

Only played it once, but it was great. In great shape and a really cool layout compared to most Houston courses. Quite a few elevation changes, seeing as how you're playing on top of an old landfill.

Bring plenty of balls though. Especially if not playing with someone familiar with course. I seem to remember some blind drives and some deceptive drives that I could have managed better with some advice.
Thanks! Neither my buddy or I have ever played, so we'll bring plenty
Ag_07
AG
We play there very often. Almost once a week for a while.

Course is in great shape especially for Feb. Greens are rolling pretty quick. Check teeoff.com or golfnow for discounted rates. A lot of the tall grass is cut down right now so it's a bit easier to find your balls in some of those waste areas. No water trouble just waste areas and OB.

It's fun yet challenging course. There are some gettable holes (Holes 2, 4, 5, 12, and 13) but some real tough ones as well (Holes 7, 8, 11, 17). Hole 7 is an absolute bltch of a hole that I'm happy to get out with bogey.

Play smart, hope the wind is settled down, and enjoy.

Mr.Bond
AG
Highlands can be very tight in some spots. Overall it's usually in great shape year round. Only downside to that facility is I swear they host 200 tournaments a year
Sazerac
AG
I prefer Lakes by quite a bit. Highlands is forgettable for me and overpriced unless you golfnow.
tandy miller
AG
cclearman said:

I prefer Lakes by quite a bit. Highlands is forgettable for me and overpriced unless you golfnow.

Can you elaborate a little? And I always book with GolfNow.
AggieLitigator
I played highlands on MLK day. It was in great shape.
Mr.Bond
AG
tandy miller said:

cclearman said:

It's just a personal preference. Both courses are in great shape, you should never pay more than 50 bucks for a weekday round using golf now. I think Highlands is tougher. Both are great
Mr.Bond
AG
AggieLitigator said:

I played highlands on MLK day. It was in great shape.

Thanks for the phone call
AggieLitigator
My bad! Next time
tandy miller
AG
Mr.Bond said:

tandy miller said:

cclearman said:

It's just a personal preference. Both courses are in great shape, you should never pay more than 50 bucks for a weekday round using golf now. I think Highlands is tougher. Both are great

I'm a mid 20's handicap... which course would I enjoy more in your opinion? I assumed the lakes course had a lot of water on it and because of this was tougher
Mr.Bond
AG
You'll be fine on either bud. Both have their own challenges. Highlands is just a bit tight and more of a shot making course in my opinion
Ag_07
AG
Sounds you need to play 36 and decide for yourself.

But I think the Highlands is easier and and its not even close.

I'm a 12 and I think the Lakes is hard. Highlands isn't what I'd call easy but it offers more chances to relax and enjoy a few holes. Lakes is tough on each and every hole. FWIW...My dad is a 20+ and he doesn't like the Lakes.

Lakes is more wide open with a lot more water. Highlands is a bit tighter with no water.
Sazerac
AG
What they said. I just prefer the lakes layout. I can hardly remember a hole on Highlands.
tandy miller
AG
Quote:

In reply to tandy miller
Sounds you need to play 36 and decide for yourself.

I think you're right!

And I think I'll go with highlands... me and water don't mix too well
Ag_07
AG
Either one is a solid play and you'll be fine. A GPS or yardage book will come in handy.
BAS for life
I am a 10 handicap..have played both courses many times. At first I liked highlands better, but now they are about even in my book. I personally think that they lakes course is easier course and I score a few strokes better on it. It just fits my eye better I guess. Slope rating is about the same on each so officially they are about the same in difficulty, it is just whatever suits your eye.

If y'all are a twosome it would help to get paired with someone who has played it.
White Liberals=The Worst
In terms of water difficulty, how would the Lakes course compare with Moody Gardens? Just played Moody and the water actually didn't phase me too much, it was the wind that got me on several holes.
BAS for life
both wildcat courses are tougher than moody IMO. On the lakes course, water comes in to play a little more than Moody.
Wife is an Aggie
Played Lakes course last week. Unfortunately I am just a hack who does't get to golf much (anymore) but I thought the course was in good shape & greens rolling nicely. Tall grass was cut down so it was actually pretty easy to find most balls. On a good day I am high 80's to low 90's and I shot a 98 but keep in mind it was my first time out in probably 9 months, wind was blowing like crazy, and my front 9 was embarrassing. Shot a 44 on the back.

Not sure how much the round was as it was on an expense account but as others mentioned definitely book through golfnow.
The Milkman
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Highlands can be very tight in some spots. Overall it's usually in great shape year round. Only downside to that facility is I swear they host 200 tournaments a year
You are actually very close to the number
The Milkman
AG
Ag_07 said:

It's fun yet challenging course. There are some gettable holes (Holes 2, 4, 5, 12, and 13) but some real tough ones as well (Holes 7, 8, 11, 17). Hole 7 is an absolute bltch of a hole that I'm happy to get out with bogey.

Is 7 the one where you tee off with a mid iron and are left with a hybrid or wood uphill into the green? If so yes absolutely the hardest hole out there. And an infuriating one.

I dont like my 2nd shot needing to be a longer club than my first
Mr.Bond
AG
7 is a brutal hole. There's a reason it's the 1 handicap. The approach is one of the most difficult I've ever played, I absolutely hate blind shots. The following hole is no peach either. A pretty tough part 3
BTD
7 is brutal. i think 9 is a challenge for anybody new to the course, it's pretty confusing and the direct path which makes sense is really OB. Basically a par 5 that requires 3 iron shots, except for big hitters.
Mr.Bond
AG
Yea 9 can be confusing, poor design imo to have number 11 coming back up beside it. Definitely a par 5 that's "getable" but more of a shot makers hole
Ag_07
AG
7 is the hardest Par 4 I've played in Houston.

8 isn't too bad if you okay smart and hit at the center of the green. If you start getting greedy with it and try and hit over that bunker it's a bltch. Play it smart and its pretty smooth.

9 is tough because it's deceiving. Hit a good drive and aim left of the 150 stake like on a line with the clubhouse and there's plenty of room. Play for par from there and you're good.
Ag_07
AG
Well...How'd you fair? You enjoy it?
ElCheAg
AG
7 on the Highlands becomes even more brutal when your tee shot ends up in the right side fairway bunker.
tandy miller
AG
Played highlands. Course was in pretty good shape. We played as a 2some, so we did not have anyone with us that could give us advice. Shot a 101, buddy a 89. First couple of holes weren't too bad, but 7-9 was easily the toughest 3 hole stretch ive ever played. lost something like 5 balls between the 3 holes. Fun course but extremely challenging to someone that has never played it. Pretty happy with my 101 considering i had 7 penalty strokes. Course and slope rating are both incredibly deceptive... Plays tougher than both imo.

# 7 was the hardest hole I have ever played in my life. First putt was for double.

Sorry for the late review, but staff dropped the ban hammer on me for a couple of days earlier in the week
Mr.Bond
AG
What'd you do?!?
tandy miller
AG
Got a little risky with pics of chicks... and posted a link to a video of chrissy tiegen's super bowl nip slip
Aggie1391
7 on lakes is a b**** too. I like Wildcat, but I don't think I've played another course that has so many holes that I absolutely hate
Mr.Bond
AG
Yea it's a hell of a tight fairway for a par 5
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.