Vietnam Ware Era Music

5,487 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Tanker123
Tanker123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I will return at the end of the season to illuminate my winnings betting on college football. I need to focus on supporting my wife, editing my PTSD healing book, coaching people with PTSD, creating new recipes, and fishing.

Two writers asked the question what the favorite songs were listened to by our service members in the Vietnam War and compiled this list.

VIETNAM - YouTube
Naveronski
AG
Tanker123 said:

Two writers asked the question what the favorite songs were listened to by our service members in the Vietnam War and compiled this list.

VIETNAM - YouTube
Why do so many of the stories you post seem dubious at best?
Tanker123
Naveronski said:

Tanker123 said:

VIETNAM - YouTube
Why do so many of the stories you post seem dubious at best?
Why do people like you want to argue from a position of ignorance? lol

I have made no false claims. There is no reason to. Life is too good to embellish anything. I retired at 45 and I am decisively engaged in helping veterans, first responders, and civilians with PTSD. I also help my community. I have a pretty nice house. There is no shame in my game.

I am done. There are way too many internet warriors on this site.

We Gotta Get Out of This Place: The Soundtrack of the Vietnam War by Craig Werner | Goodreads
OldArmyCT
AG
You weren't in Vietnam and yet you're starting a thread about the music of the Vietnam War, which you spelled ware BTW. Why? And the first response asked why your posts are dubious and your response asked why he was arguing from a position of ignorance. He asked a question, When did asking a question become arguing from a position of ignorance? There's a forum called The Nerdery, why don't you post over there?
Tanker123
I am still laughing. Someone is so possessive of the Vietnam War that people who were not in it can't speak about it. hahahaha

I am sharing your post on a veterans site. hahaha
JABQ04
AG
I don't understand any of what's going on here by any of the posters.
Tanker123
JABQ04 said:

I don't understand any of what's going on here by any of the posters.
It's quite obvious. Despite the fact that I have written a PTSD healing book that has helped many heal, my volunteer work to support the veterans community, OldArmyCT firmly believes I should not discuss matters of Vietnam because I was not in that war. At what point I get the privilege to do so is beyond me. It's quite mind boggling. hahaha

I also try to raise funds for Victory For Veterans: Victory for Veterans just stood up a state-of-the-art Life Readiness Center (LRC) in Huntsville, TX to provide critical services and hyperbaric oxygen therapy. The organization endeavors to reduce suicides, homelessness, and mitigate invisible wounds afflicting first responders and veterans. The intent is to stand up LRCs across the country's. Your support is appreciated. There are innumerable people who need specialized care.

Talk about being disappointed by fellow veterans. I have never started sh@t with any of you. I have to leave. I have had enough disappointment from this community.
OldArmyCT
AG
You can write about anything you feel like writing about, I just wondered why Vietnam music. Judging by the paucity of replies I would say nobody else cares either. I also don't believe you're leaving, it took you a few months and multiple "I'm leaving this site" posts before you left AggieYell, twice even under 2 different handles.
JABQ04
AG
OP, your post would be better suited for the History board and would probably garner some interesting discussion. I'm confused how PTSD or football Tibet's tie into anything but oh well. Tailor your post for a historical discussion and then try the History board.
FWIW I gave the play list a listen for a bit last night and good songs. I'm disappointed the only time I flew in a Huey (Molson Air in Afghanistan-land) it wasn't barking fortunate son.
Naveronski
AG
OP has multiple posting accounts: https://texags.com/forums/63/topics/3446366

He also seems to have a history of copying content from other locations and implying it is his own.

He claims to have written a "PTSD healing book" - I'm skeptical about this too; is OP a psychologist or clinician? Who published the book?

Now when OldArmyCT politely asked a few questions, OP says we're "butt buddies".

His posting behavior is bizarre across multiple boards.
CanyonAg77
AG
He also got run off TexAgs a couple of times that we know of
Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

OP, your post would be better suited for the History board and would probably garner some interesting discussion. I'm confused how PTSD or football Tibet's tie into anything but oh well. Tailor your post for a historical discussion and then try the History board.
FWIW I gave the play list a listen for a bit last night and good songs. I'm disappointed the only time I flew in a Huey (Molson Air in Afghanistan-land) it wasn't barking fortunate son.

Oh come now … it was the Ride of the Valkyrie's when I was on it….
Ol Jock 99
AG
Is this yet another MFBarnes profile?
OldArmyCT
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Is this yet another MFBarnes profile?
Moving in Stereo and Army Tanker before exiting AggieYell.
RockyGamucci
Two Great Vietnam Songs

It Feels So Right (Saigon 1968) (youtube.com)

Little Joey-- Pallbearer (youtube.com)
Tanker123
Yeah, some more literary thievery, since I was not in Vietnam! hahaha

THE C-5A GALAXY AND BABYLIFT (TRUE STORY)
The C-5A Galaxy is one of the largest military planes in the world. The engines have a distinctive and loud high pitch whine to them. It is so large that it appears to fly slowly. It looks like a slow moving giant in the air. I use to live a few miles from the Clark AFB flight line in the Philippines where I grew up. Sometimes when the huge planes landed, they shook the ground. It felt like a small earthquake. When I felt it, I knew a C-5 Galaxy just landed. It was not an unusual occurrence.

I was 10 years of age in the Philippines. I played with two brothers whose father was a C-5A pilot. One time they absconded with their parents' money and bought pellet rifles. I really do not know how they kept the rifles hidden from their parents. In early 1974 President Ford ordered the US Air Force to transport babies out of Vietnam. Thus, the USAF conducted Operation Babylift for orphaned babies and babies Vietnamese parents wanted to send to the US and other western countries for a chance at a better life. Clark AFB was the collection point and hub for the babies before they were flown to the US and various western countries.

Inevitably some of the babies grew up and returned to Vietnam to search for the families that gave them up. The responses varied. Sometimes mothers did not want to acknowledge her adult child. Some mothers welcomed their child with open arms, many tears were made in this process. There were some occasions where a mother and child could not prove they were related. I believe most of those who returned to Vietnam in their quest to find family members left unsatisfied in the endeavor, and I will make the strong assumption a sense of emptiness pervaded in their hearts for those who could not get positive answers about their relatives.

I digress to take this opportunity mention those returning to Vietnam were not exclusively the babies that grew up. Some American widows went to Vietnam. One found the exact location where her young husband, a helicopter pilot, had crashed his helicopter and died with the help of a guide who was a former VC who witnessed the crash. Some wanted to find the remains of their buddies who were never recovered. Commanders from the NVA and US military shook hands and elaborated on battles fought. Many veterans wanted to find peace and closure which was greatly facilitated by the Vietnamese people who appeared to find closure and accepted the Americans with open arms. There was a poignant moment when a veteran bought beers for a former VC in a bar. The former VC eventually broke down and cried. I really wish I knew what he was thinking. I will return to the main narrative now. Obviously he had deep and pent up feelings in his heart and mind.

On April 4, 1975, a C-5A flew from Clark AFB to Tan Son Nhut Air Base to pick up babies. That afternoon the C-5A took off from Vietnam to return to Clark AFB with many babies. After the plane departed Vietnam, at 4:15 PM, the location of the plane was a few miles over the South China Sea when the rear ramp door locks failed and the plane suddenly depressurized because the rear cargo doors blew out. It caused a chain of events that prevented the full use of the flight controls due to the damage to the hydraulic systems. The plane turned around to fly back to Tan Son Nhut Air Base and it appeared the pilots had stabilized the flight of the plane. However, the plane started to descend too quickly, and the pilots executed a crash landing in a giant rice paddy. It skidded a quarter of a mile and went airborne for half a mile before finally resting at the crash site.

Out of 314 people on board, the death toll included 78 babies, 35 Defense Attach Office employees and 11 U.S. Air Force personnel; there were 176 survivors. All the surviving orphans were eventually flown to the United States. Upon hearing about the crash, the Clark AFB community was stunned and saddened. We all had a vested interest in Operation Babylift as it was a compassionate act after such a bitter war. I don't know if my friends' father was the pilot who died, one pilot survived, but my friends' family was whisked away to the US in a week. We mourned the deaths of the crew, medical staff, volunteers, and babies.

The C-5A Galaxy, Tail # 68-0218, would never make her way back to the home base, Clark AFB. Sometimes in life a good deed can have a tragic ending. I wonder on cool mornings when the fog meanders in the jungle, if there is a ghost C-5A Galaxy in Vietnam flying high in its eternal journey because she can't return to the home station.
CanyonAg77
AG
It's literary thievery because you copy an entire article from someone else, and post it here as if you wrote it yourself.

If it's a good article, simply post a link and a quote, along with a short description
OldArmyCT
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

It's literary thievery because you copy an entire article from someone else, and post it here as if you wrote it yourself.

If it's a good article, simply post a link and a quote, along with a short description
He's famous for that. I keep waiting for an article on the difference between the semi and fully articulated rotor systems on Army helicopters because he's had experience in a helicopter unit.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Back in the good ol' days on Varsity, we had a shared google sheet (I think) of the best "off-the-beaten path" restaurants (key). MFB populated a ton of places that were all "outstanding, must see to believe". So, one random evening, the Mrs and I pack up the kids to go to one near our house.

It was a crap-hole bar. No food served at all. The looks we got when we walked in with 4 little kids were amazing. We quickly exit and go to another on the list. It was an old honkytonk that had closed down several years prior.

I called MFB out on it on Varsity, and he responded with his standard defensiveness. A week or 2 later, the big event on Outdoors happened, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Cue Fortunate Son by CCR...
Tanker123
OldArmyCT said:

CanyonAg77 said:

He's famous for that. I keep waiting for an article on the difference between the semi and fully articulated rotor systems on Army helicopters because he's had experience in a helicopter unit.
Conducting research to write an essay is thievery. My god you folks are dense. From henceforth you must just link articles on subjects!

I wrote a book that has helped veterans and first responders with PTSD. Should I just link many articles instead of writing the book because it's thievery? hahaha
Tanker123
Perhaps Texags VFW comprised of old farts can set the standards:

- If you are not in a war then don't write about it.
- Links only!
- Writing is thievery.
- Don't write about the Principles of War.
- What am I missing?

lol
Hey Nav
AG
Hi Tanker,

https://www.veteranscrisisline.net/

No judgement here. This forum isn't really what you're looking for, Amigo.

Make the call, please. Just... to talk versus posting on an online forum.
Tanker123
Hey Nav said:

Hi Tanker,

https://www.veteranscrisisline.net/

No judgement here. This forum isn't really what you're looking for, Amigo.

Make the call, please. Just... to talk versus posting on an online for
Just to talk versus posting online for............ WTF does that mean? Some of you folks really remind me of the abrasive and myopic old farts at the VFW. lol

I have gratitude that the military sites I post at have service members and veterans who are significantly less caustic as this group of veterans on TexAgs.
Hey Nav
AG
No one is being caustic. The story titled "The C-5 Galaxy And Babylift (True Story) is a work of fiction.

So many holes to poke iin the story, but:

C-5s were never stationed at Clark - no famillies of C-5 crews ever PCSd there. No sons of the pilots were there. Same for C-141s. The 21st Tactical Airlift Squadron (C-130s) was stationed there for a few decades post-Viet Nam and their families could live there.

No pilots on the fatal -0218 crash were fatalities.

No reason to make things up - many valiant personnel died on that flight trying to save so many people.
Tanker123
Hey Nav said:

No one is being caustic. The story titled "The C-5 Galaxy And Babylift (True Story) is a work of fiction.

So many holes to poke iin the story, but:

C-5s were never stationed at Clark - no famillies of C-5 crews ever PCSd there. No sons of the pilots were there. Same for C-141s. The 21st Tactical Airlift Squadron (C-130s) was stationed there for a few decades post-Viet Nam and their families could live there.

No pilots on the fatal -0218 crash were fatalities.

No reason to make things up - many valiant personnel died on that flight trying to save so many people.
You absolutely don't know what you are talking about. I was growing up in the Philippines when that C-5 Galaxy crashed over Vietnam. I had friends who were brothers, their father died in that crash.

Irony is I am decisively engaged with first responders and veterans' communities to help them heal if they have PTSD. Our veterans' charity also is trying to find innovative ways to prevent suicides in those two communities. However, some of you have displayed brilliantly that you can't even apply the basic tenets of the Golden Rule. It is quite amazing.

Here is information on your fake C-5 Galaxy crash. Do you want more proof? 1975 Tn Sn Nht C-5 accident - Wikipedia
Hey Nav
AG
BTW, -0218 was enroute to Clark when it was diverted to Tan Son Nhuit. It did not originate from Clark.

Thanks for the wiki link - I learned so much.

You are really in need of help or your just trolling - wrong forum for that.

Edit to add:

(Then ) 1Li Regina Aune received a broken foot, leg, and vertebre. She evacuated babies until she passed out. She received the Cheny Award and retired as a Colonel.

Capt Mary Klinker , a Flight Nurse, died in that crash. She was the last American female to die in the war. She received the Airman's Medal for her actions.

The 2 pilots, Capts Dennis Trayor III and Tilford Harp, were awarded the Air Force Cross for their actions.

Don't tread on their memories or make up stories.
Tanker123
Hey Nav said:

BTW, -0218 was enroute to Clark when it was diverted to Tan Son Nhuit. It did not originate from Clark.

Still fake news to you? Did you learn that you were wrong? I should give you a medal for being so wrong, but yet being so arrogant.
Ol Jock 99
AG
100% Barnes.
OldArmyCT
AG
Give us a link to your book. And your charity.
Tanker123
I am not posting the PTSD book because the content is sensitive and wish I felt differently because I have helped many people, first responders, and veterans heal 160 degrees. I know there are people in this community who need help. This is the only online community that I have a reticence for sharing my book. However, I will post and excerpt from it:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOREWARD
I met Major L in a somewhat unusual way, on a military social media and online site. I ran across a thread the Major had written regarding PTSD. His post indicated he himself had suffered from PTSD for several years and had written a paper called A Journey of Healing on this subject to help others. Like many Veterans, I didn't want to admit I had PTSD. To open up made me feel vulnerable. I didn't contact him immediately but after a couple days my curiosity compelled me to reach out to Major L to gain access to the paper. Was he for real or was he an internet boaster? I did not know. My expectations were fuzzy.

Ultimately, I wanted to know if his paper could help me and set me free from the chains of PTSD. I asked the Major for his email address so we could communicate outside of the social media site. I sent him a message and asked if he could send me the paper. Major L immediately replied with a link to his paper in short order. He also messaged that he would be available for me any time and would listen to anything I would say. Little did I know reading the paper was the beginning of my recovery. It was a welcome respite.

I had severe PTSD for 60 plus years and wanted my life back. None of my therapists over the years materially helped me. I had to try something different. In the paper Major L wrote about his personal struggle with PTSD, trying to get help, and how it affected him. Then he proceeded to explain the self-healing path he took on his road to recovery. I instantly connected with the paper because he described his PTSD tribulations which significantly mirrored mine. I became aware that he knew a lot about me and understood my PTSD. I appreciated his empathy and compassion.

I welcomed his offer to assist me in my personal journey to minimize the effects PTSD was having on my life. Following his advice from the paper and communications through email I was able to start the healing process of shedding major issues. He gave me hope and a way forward. For someone to help another successfully accomplish this is quite an achievement. What we need to remember is that Major L doesn't have a psychology degree, but what he does have is life experience. Education is great, but real-world experience is better in this case. The Major lived it. He could understand and relate to what I was going through. I appreciated his stubbornness in helping people. I can characterize him as has great compassion, experience, and intuition.

While nobody is ever one hundred percent cured of PTSD, it is possible to minimize the effects of this with help. I am forever thankful and grateful I found Major L. Trust the process with an open mind and give it your all. It helped me and it can help you too. Be mindful that setbacks are normal. Sometimes it feels like you go forward three steps and back two. Don't let this get to you. Perseverance is the key. After my healing Major L said I hope all your dreams come true, and I will be so happy for you. He gave me a second chance in life that I never expected. My family and I can truly live now. He did not ask for anything from me but one thing. He asked if I have my life back, and I said yes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not the head of this charity. I work for this organization to obtain donations and funding for ongoing operations to support the critical needs of veterans and first responders.

Home | Warriors For Life (victoryforveterans.org)
CanyonAg77
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

100% Barnes.
Not Barnes. But his real name is known.
Tanker123
You can keep crapping on me. I don't really care because it changes nothing and refuse to devolve in such pettiness. I will continue to support the veterans and first responder communities because they need help and it's the right thing to do. There is absolutely no shame in my game.
StinkyPinky
AG
Tanker123 said:

Hey Nav said:

Still fake news to you? Did you learn that you were wrong? I should give you a medal for being so wrong, but yet being so arrogant.

At some point you would think that some level of self awareness would kick in. Literally every single thread you have participated in over the last several months devolves to you being an arse and p!sskng everyone off. Does 't matter if its the food thread, outdoor, football, you name it….same result. I'd suggest TA isn't really for you. All the best.
Tanker123
StinkyPinky said:

Tanker123 said:

Hey Nav said:

At some point you would think that some level of self awareness would kick in. Literally every single thread you have participated in over the last several months devolves to you being an arse and p!sskng everyone off. Does 't matter if its the food thread, outdoor, football, you name it….same result. I'd suggest TA isn't really for you. All the best.
So, I post about Vietnam War Music. How was that so offensive? Read the thread. Did I start sh@t with that post with anyone? When have I been an ass? If I am an ass, then I will admit to it. I am man enough. However, should I care about the opinion of a poster whose handle is Stinky Pinky? lol
StinkyPinky
AG
Tanker123 said:

StinkyPinky said:

Tanker123 said:

Hey Nav said:

So, I post about Vietnam War Music. How was that so offensive? Read the thread. Did I start sh@t with that post with anyone? When have I been an ass? If I am an ass, then I will admit to it. I am man enough. However, should I care about the opinion of a poster whose handle is Stinky Pinky? lol

I'm talking about every thread you have derailed. Always ends the same. Sports betting in General Board. Same with Football board. Then there was the food board where you went at it with all the regulars. Numerous others. You know what I'm talking about. Self awareness.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.