Tech game

10,184 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by jnew0531
Tango Mike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why does buying a ticket give you the right to demean and ridicule someone? Because you feel protected, since they're busy on the court? People like Orr should have gotten their asses beat years ago, and they should continue to get their asses beat every time they open their mouths. Man enough to mouth off to people bigger than you? Then you're man enough to handle the consequences.

Should Smart have pushed him? Well, no, fans shouldn't be pushed by the players. But if the fan wants to act like a bad ass...
txjortsagent
AG
quote:
quote:
You're 100% wrong about assigning 100% responsibility to either one of them

Actually, I'm not. Like I said already, Orr may be a world class jerk. He may have called him the n-word ten times over. It doesn't matter. A player can never touch a fan just for something he or she said. If Orr (or any fan) is out of line with what they're saying, you make security aware of the issue.

No. Smart is in an emotional game. In it. Not watching it.

And if he called him the n word ten times over as you say, why do you just give him a pass? The same way Smart shouldn't have pushed him, that guy shouldn't have said what he did. That's why neither gets 100%.
jnew0531
AG
I agree with you on that Tango. I am absolutely positive if that line separating the court from the fans weren't there, Orr would never talk like that to Marcus Smart. It is such a cowardly thing to do when you feel like you can say what you want because the players can't cross that line. Guys like Orr take the fun out of sporting events for everyone around them.
WildcatAg
AG
Is Orr the guy that the A&M player (Bernard King?) decked after the game in Lubbock many years ago?
jnew0531
AG
Joe Wilbert decked a guy when the team was headed to the locker room. Guy was screaming in Barone's face and Big Joe knocked him out. I'm sure you could find out who it was, there was a drawn out lawsuit against A&M filed by the Tech fan that got decked. Pretty sure it wasn't Orr.
WildcatAg
AG
quote:
Joe Wilbert decked a guy when the team was headed to the locker room. Guy was screaming in Barone's face and Big Joe knocked him out. I'm sure you could find out who it was, there was a drawn out lawsuit against A&M filed by the Tech fan that got decked. Pretty sure it wasn't Orr.

Thanks, I couldn't remember the player.
Professor
The sad thing about the incident is that the focus on Orr-Smart has taken away what should have been the real focus and that is the great win by the Raiders.

Orr is a tool, has been and always will be. He should have had his tickets revoked long ago.

Smart probably should have been given more games as suspension. His first game back will be against Tech in Stillwater on Feb 22. That will be a very emotionally-charged game.

The whole situation is a lose-lose proposition. OSU doesn't want their tempremental superstar higlighted this way, and the last thing that Tech needs is more bad press because of their fans.
mavsfan4ever
AG
quote:
Marcus Smart is known to be a hothead. If you have watched him at all this year, you would see that he is unraveling. He has thrown several tantrums this year, and has already apologized to his fans and teamates for losing it in another game this year when he lost his temper and kicked over a chair on the sideline. His draft stock is dropping, his team is losing, and they were getting beat by a bad Tech team in front of a rowdy crowd. Orr had proabaly been heckling him throughout the game and Smart finally snapped.
Orr is an idiot, and I am not defending him at all. People like him drive me crazy. Their sole purpose at games is to heckle 18-22 year old kids. It's just sad. But I've been around alot of people like him in games, and just because they heckle, doesn't mean they are racists.
People around him were interviewed, cameramen and photographers were interviewed, the audio supports Orr, the video supports Orr. What else do you need??
Smart pushes Orr before he even finishes his sentence. It seems pretty obvious it was the hand waving in his face that finally made him snap.
Seems everyone has their minds made up already though, so I'm not sure what the point of arguing is.

Good post. I don't think most people realize how much of a head case Smart has been all year. He easily could have snapped for no good reason, just because the guy had been heckling him all game.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
The sad thing about the incident is that the focus on Orr-Smart has taken away what should have been the real focus and that is the great win by the Raiders.

Orr is a tool, has been and always will be. He should have had his tickets revoked long ago.

Smart probably should have been given more games as suspension. His first game back will be against Tech in Stillwater on Feb 22. That will be a very emotionally-charged game.

The whole situation is a lose-lose proposition. OSU doesn't want their tempremental superstar higlighted this way, and the last thing that Tech needs is more bad press because of their fans.

Great post

What that idiot overshadowed was tech putting 13,000 fans in the US Arena to watch a 3-6 team

And yes the win

And the students storming the court in celebration

It was quite impressive and A&M needs to somehow capture that enthusiasm at Reed (sans the conference record and idiot fan part)
txjortsagent
AG
quote:

I have a pretty cool piece of memorabilia from that incident. When tech came to GRW to play us after that incident, I had Wilbert sign a pair of boxing gloves for me. Just found them recently when I moved.
Captain Pablo
AG
That's awesome!
txjortsagent
AG
Barone saw him signing them, came over, chuckled and told us to put them up before espn saw them
jnew0531
AG
Joe Wilbert is one of my all time favorite Aggie basketball players. Very jealous of the signed gloves.
txjortsagent
AG
Know Your Enemy
Know Your Enemy
AG
Maybe Orr just said that "the sheriff is a near" and Smart misheard him.
Cooter00
quote:
Go back and watch your "smoking gun", Zapruder-esque video which purportedly exonerates that POS "superfan"........the piece of crap reference (which strangely is the only halfway intelligible snippet of conversation in the entire video segment)

Absolutely.

Nobody finds it odd that with all these fans screaming and cheering, Tech produces "audio" of Orr saying "piece of crap". Was Orr miked up??? Come on. If you think a baseline microphone picked that up w/ no other background audio then you are crazy.
txjortsagent
AG
http://mobile.texags.com/Forums/6/Topics/2446896
jnew0531
AG
Cooter,

I don't find it odd at all since Smart, who was right next to that camera, heard it over the screaming fans and went directly to him. Must of been pretty obvious for him to hop up like that. When you see a player slam to the ground like that, 99.5% of people go quiet in hopes that he was ok. Orr's reaction was to scream at him while he was down. If someone called me a piece of crap after I had taken a fall like that, I would be upset too. It just drives me crazy when race is brought into something when it had nothing to do with what happened. Just call Orr what he is.... A punk that heckles players, even when they could possibly be hurt. No need to make it a race issue though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.