Realistic options to replace Childress?

11,391 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Goose06
rallydawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Compare RC current seasons with MJ 2003 and beyond...lots of JC recruits. As others, more knowledgeable than me have told me,have said, this is usually done when a coach realizes his job is on the line AND he has failed to develop his own talent/recruits as freshman and sophomores. Look at the talent that has come in as freshmen,notice their decline almost to a man, look at their summer production, and draw your own conclusions. Add to this the philosophy of this staff to intimidate players and the lack of positive support for the most part, not always, but instead negativity, and a change is warranted.
BoerneGator
AG
How can Hyman remain ignorant of the locker room culture of this program? Or is he not, and simply ignoring it?
Captain Pablo
AG
Interesting..

Is there a locker room culture problem?
BoerneGator
AG
I refer to the quote from above, as well as other evidence posted on other forums.

quote:
. Add to this the philosophy of this staff to intimidate players and the lack of positive support for the most part
Captain Pablo
AG
Hmmm
rallydawg
AG
I am speaking from my own experience with the program in the past, as well as comments from others associated with the team. I do not want to appear to be just a disgruntled parent.
Tex100
AG
quote:
I do not want to appear to be just a disgruntled parent.

But you do.
Mark Fairchild
AG
rallydawg is a parent for sure, but he is also an AGGIE and I think that deserves some respect. You may not agree with what he has to post, but maybe just maybe, he has some experiences that others on this forum do not. Either way, he deserves respect, and I as an AGGIE will give him that. You may not agree with him, and that is your right, but I think that we can be civil in our discussions.

Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
dirkjones
AG
Dawg is a good ag and he has lived most of our dreams of seeing our sons play on Olson and wear that Maroon and White.
selk
AG
Go get the guy at tech, young lots of energy
viva torrente
tech coach is a raider. I don't think he would come.
aeon-ag
Less than 100 miles up Hwy 6 is Steve Johnigan, Associate Head coach at Baylor, and a Former Student. He knows baseball and would put A&M in contention much better than RC, hell, Childress can't even grow a decent mustache.
Captain Pablo
AG
It would probably take a lot to get him to leave tech...

And I don't know how much the tech baseball program will be involved in the new college baseball hall of fame, but that's gonna be an exciting time when it gets off the ground...
Mark Fairchild
AG
aeon-ag, I think that you may be on to something. Worth investigating. Don't really care about facial hair, but do like his credentials.

Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
BoerneGator
AG
All that remains is for someone to email his resume to Hyman.
AB2
AG
JUCO players have always been a staple of Childress teams...you're being a wee bit selective implying he's doing it now.

And if we can Childress, we damn sure better have a proven commodity lined up. Tech coach? Seriously, he's done nothing yet. Why are you guys on flavor of the week?

If we DEMAND a coach who will get us to Omaha frequently, in lieu of your coach who gets you to the postseason every year, you don't hire another up-and-comer. Go big, or don't go.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
More fun facts:

CWS Single Game Wins:
2006 - 0
2007 - 0
2008 - 0
2009 - 0
2010 - 0
2011 - 0
2012 - 0
2013 - 0

CWS Appearances:

2006 - N
2007 - N
2008 - N
2009 - N
2010 - N
2011 - Y
2012 - N
2013 - N

Super Regional Game Wins

2006 - 0
2007 - 0
2008 - 0
2009 - 0
2010 - 0
2011 - 2
2012 - 0
2013 - 0

Post regional appearances in last 5 years - 1

No super regional this year and it's time for a change

[This message has been edited by Captain Pablo (edited 4/21/2014 10:00p).]

This seems to speak volumes.

RC is just like the other RC, and it is time for a change. The program has peaked under him and there is no indication that any improvement is forthcoming.
BoerneGator
AG
quote:
Go big, or don't go!
Agreed!

But in fairness, at the time at least, Sumlin wasn't considered big. But I think he's huge!
Captain Pablo
AG
You don't have to have Casey Stengel lined up before firing an underperforming college coach

Otherwise you tread in mediocrity indefinitely

Fact is there is no sure thing

You go out and get the best you can and hope it works

If it does great

If it doesn't, don't stand around for 10-20 years trying to make up your mind

You move on...
Lance Uppercut
AG
I don't see using Jucos as being the problem. Under Childress alone: Hicks, Duran, Jackson, Reynolds, J. Stinson, Newmann, Brian Ruggiano, Darby Brown, Dane Carter, Campfield, Patterson, Stilson, Alcazar, Hinojosa, Juengel all JUCOs. Just looking at Rice's roster, I see 5 juco guys, 4 who played against us last night. Their best offensive product is also from a juco. I see 7 on LSU's roster.

Sophomores and freshman are hitting. Moroney, Taylor, Birk, Banks have become the core of this team. Minter, Vinson, Schlottmann, Stubblefield, and Long are all underclassmen and the real meat of the pitching staff.

Rest of the team hasn't "declined to a man". Lankford is having another good season, Allemand has really turned it around. Nau and Statum haven't declined. Bratsen better after being sick.

Early struggle is no one was hitting. Latest struggle is we don't know our rotation for the first 2 days of the weekend. The real decline has come in upperclassmen pitching...Ray, Mengden, Jester. That was supposed to be your Friday and Saturday plus closer. The SEC has 17 starters with ERAs lower than Long's. Ole Miss and Arkansas each have 2 guys with ERAs below 2.40 that we'll be seeing to close out the year, and LSU has Nola at 0.88. If you don't have an ace figured out to stack up against some teams to start the weekends, you're in trouble.

And I disagree that you hire someone else just to hire someone else. Like with Mark Turgeon, you can actually do worse than Childress. However, unlike basketball, A&M doesn't need the stars to align to have an alluring job posting for a baseball coach. We have the intangibles to hire someone who has proven postseason success, so I'm not sure why we wouldn't.

[This message has been edited by Lance Uppercut (edited 4/24/2014 1:15a).]
Lance Uppercut
AG
I think the "formula" poster is on to something.

Sunday against Alabama. Melton asked to bunt in the 8th. Backfires. Vinson has been cruising in relief, but since Jester is the official closer and "we thought he was fresh because we hadn't used him yet", he's inserted in the 9th despite his recent struggles. He gets lit up and we lose.

Saturday against Kentucky. Schlottmann has been cruising, but the lefties are coming up next inning. Despite the fact that he got them out earlier, we better bring in Parker Ray. He gets lit up. Ray faces 7 people in the 9th despite hitting 2, throwing a wild pitch, and walking someone. We lose.

Yesterday against Rice. Again, Schlottmann is cruising, but a game against a top 10 opponent on the road in a win you almost have to win for RPI purposes seems like a good time for a confidence booster for Ray. He starts getting hit immediately, is left in for 7 batters who get 3 runs. Vinson, who has been watching from the pen with his 2 point lower ERA, is finally brought in with the tying run on 3rd and winning run also on base to get the final out.

Mind boggling.
TempleAg97
AG
I LOVE bringing in juncos to solidify a team. Some of the best players we've ever had were jucos. In football if you are bringing in too many, it's a problem. In baseball, being it on!

I think Childress is a bit of a "formula" coach, but all baseball coaches would like to be. He's also shown that he will make changes if needed. He's shuffled the rotation and lineup this year and every year.
JohnnieBB
AG
As to the Tech Coach, Tim Tadlock, he is an excellent coach. My son played for him at Grayson. Took the team to the JUCO World Series several times. Tim is a players coach and great person. However, Tim played at Tech and I am sure he wants to retire there and I don't blame him.

As to our pitching -- I am surprised, Daniel, Parker, Jason are not what I thought they would be this year. On Daniel, he hasn't got much support with runs early in the year. Parker is really good one day and really bad the next. Jester, wow -- I kinda saw this coming at the end of last year. He was coming in and throwing that first pitch fast ball and our opponents were ready for it and hitting it up the middle. I know these guys are giving their best and trying hard but, they are not getting it done.
Don't get me wrong I love this team, the kids are fun to be around and they DO work hard in practice. I said before RC has the best bench he has ever had here and the fish and sophomores have proved it by becoming starters.
We still have 4 series to go and we need to win 2 of 3 in each and if so, we will make the SEC tourney and the NCAA.
Tex100
AG
quote:
rallydawg is a parent for sure, but he is also an AGGIE and I think that deserves some respect. You may not agree with what he has to post, but maybe just maybe, he has some experiences that others on this forum do not. Either way, he deserves respect, and I as an AGGIE will give him that. You may not agree with him, and that is your right, but I think that we can be civil in our discussions.

I don't see my response as disrespectful. His son has multiple letters in a varsity sport from Texas A&M. That is an awesome accomplishment. His son got dealt a tough deal for his senior year. I completely understand that he is pissed at Childress and I would be too. He also posts plenty about his perception of the staff that sound like a disgruntled parent to me. There are only so many spots allowed for the team and if you haven't produced like the staff thinks you should, whether you think you received a fair opportunity, or not, they are going to move on to younger players. Happens in other sports too.
TempleAg97
AG
Who is rallydawgs son?
dirkjones
AG
Charlie Curl
dermdoc
AG
Great post JohnnieBB.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sterling98
You absolutely do not replace a coach winning > 60% of his games. The notion is so outlandish as to make me think the author is an expert in satire.

7, straight, regionals.

Booyakasha
Goose06
AG
Sterling,

We have won 2 super regional GAMES since he has been here. I am not saying its a no brainer that you replace him right now, but to say that its crazy to even consider it is burying your head in the sand. You can get 10th in the SEC and make a regional. If thats how you judge success, then you and I have different bars.
BoerneGator
AG
quote:
You absolutely do not replace a coach winning > 60% of his games.
Winning percentage is an important stat, but only to the extent that it contributes to championships and CWS appearances.
Sterling98
[User banned--Staff]

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 4/25/2014 5:05p).]
Super12
RC is the man in charge. He is responsible for his staff. Friend or not Sawyers has to go. Even the players say the same thing and have no respect for him. There is no fun in the dugout. These kids are trying to get through another season of this crap and go play the summer. Talk to any player and they will tell you the same thing. There is no continuity in this team. Yes the guys jell well but the coaches and the players don't. The guys are very lucky to have Coach Knight in the dugout or it would be a lot worse than what we are seeing... Get it done tonight!!!!
Aggies
Let's go Aggies.
twk
AG
quote:
Allow me to put this in perspective for you. Joe Torre won 60.5% of his games with the Yankees. The freaking Yankees! Coach Rob has won 63.4% of his games at A&M. Yes, you read that right, a higher winning percentage than Joe Torre.

Any Knowledgeable Baseball Fan (KBF) can tell you how great that winning % is. Perhaps some of you should stick to the football board.

Maintain patience and reasonable expectations and good things will happen.
Joe Torre was managing in the major leagues. Rob built up that winning percentage in the Big XII, and with lots of Tuesday chumps. If he continues, we'll see what happens to that winning percentage now that he's in the SEC.

Ultimately, its about getting to Omaha and doing something once you get there. After this year, Rob's going to be 1-9 on getting to Omaha and have a CWS winning percentage of .000. He's not been a failure, but, he's got a long enough track record that I think we've seen the best that he's capable of.
_mpaul
AG
twk,

He's trolling. Don't waste your time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.