What SEC record do we need to be a Top 8 Seed?

15,096 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by W
Sean98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No conference has ever gotten more than 10 teams into the tourney (SEC 3x, ACC 1x). SEC gets 11 this year. Book it.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Sean98 said:

No conference has ever gotten more than 10 teams into the tourney (SEC 3x, ACC 1x). SEC gets 11 this year. Book it.

I'll take a stab at this

A&M
Arkansas
Alabama
LSU
Mississippi State
Tennessee
Florida
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
South Carolina
Georgia

Yea, you might be right

Hard to see any of these not making a regional right now (maybe flip flop Alabama for Ole Miss)
CapCityAg89
AG
LSU is clearly a top 10 team and will likely be 3-6 in conference after this weekend.

I think 17-13 is good just because that will probably be 2nd in the south. SEC should get half the national seeds.
Gyles Marrett
austinag1997 said:

The back end of our SEC schedule is tough. Vandy, LSU, and Arky. Will be an intersting watch going forward.
Need to stockpile the wins prior...
McInnis
AG
twk said:

jkag89 said:

OKCAGS said:

Agreed . There could be a team that does not make it to Hoover ….. yet still gets in NCAA Tourney.
While not impossible, highly unlikely. There is basically an unwritten rule that to earn a spot in NCAAs a team needs to make its own conference tournament. This is why, along with the expansion from 48 to 64 teams in the NCAAs, most league tourneys have become unwieldy in that conferences want to limit the number of reasons to leave out a team. In 2011 LSU had a overall good record and solid RPI but failed to get an invite because they did not make to Hoover. This is why the SEC tournament is the way it is and will expand to all teams in a single elimination format when t.u. and OU join the league.
This. You can also add the 1990 Aggies to this, as they were ranked 25 at the end of season (if I recall correctly), but missed out on the SWC tournament (only four teams) in part because Rice had a home game against t.u. rained out (Rice likely would have lost). Of course, it was only a 48 team field back then, but it's still unlikely that a team that doesn't make Hoover will get an at large bid.

That's a good reminder of how good the SWC used to be in baseball. That 1990 team even won a series against LSU in a a mini-revenge series for what happened in '89.

Besides that rainout you mentioned what killed us was getting swept by UH at the end of the season. I think every game was a one run loss.
jkag89
Oops, not the thread I thought I was posting on.

RED AG 98
AG
jkag89 said:

PERMA!!!

j/k
OlsenAg15
AG
Anything north of 16 wins gets us a Top8 IMO
TyHolden
AG
Just gotta hold home series and try to get a couple on the road. too many factors. losing 1-3 on pitching or batting could kill us. it's a gauntlet and you need a little luck.
RED AG 98
AG
Impossible conclusion right now without knowing what else happens, in my opinion. We could have 16 W and finish 5th in the league.
jkag89
RED AG 98 said:

jkag89 said:

PERMA!!!

j/k
It is obviously my fate to get a time out at some point during this MLB season. I accidently post on the wrong thread at least once a month. Must stay away from the Rangers thread until the CWS is over so as not to endanger me performing my duties on this board.
threeanout
AG
SEC play is just brutally tough and not having Mizzou on the schedule makes even more difficult. If 17-13 is the benchmark in conference play to get a top 8 seed, we cannot afford a slow start in SEC play. We are certainly not off to a red hot start, but more or less holding serve.

We finish with @ LSU, @ Ole Miss and Arkansas at home, so a 4-5 finish to conference play is certainly possible. If indeed that is the record we finish with over the last three series, then starting today it means we must go at least 9-5 in these middle five series before we head to the Box. That equates to winning all five of these series, or sneaking in a sweep somewhere which would allow us to drop two games in one of those series.

A lot of "what ifs" and its always one game at a time, but I sure would like to have the brooms out late on Saturday night.

DGrimesAg92
TOP 8? I want the #1 seed.
Serious Lee
not if youre superstitious, you dont
Sea Pony 07
AG
DGrimesAg92 said:

TOP 8? I want the #1 seed.
The number one seed hasn't won it all since 1999.
91AggieLawyer
AG
This is by no means a prediction due to it being way too early and a bunch of factors, but so far, it looks like things may fall somewhere along these lines:

17 wins and top 5 -- National Seed (16+)
18 wins and top 4 -- National Seed, probable top 10, possibly top 8 depending on ACC
19 wins and top 4 -- National Seed in top 8, but could be scattered anywhere in there
20 wins -- National Seed top 4

SO FAR, it looks like an SEC or ACC team will get the top national seed. Oregon State is likely to drop too far due to their SOS alone. Plus, if they get swept by SC this weekend, that itself may end their chance at the top seed, though they still could get a top 8 and certainly national seed.

It will be interesting to see what the committee does with a 45+ win UC Irvine.
OKCAGS
I think 16-14 could still get us a National Seed . Lose a Midweek game at some point should not hurt us too bad . Our SEC schedule will end up being one of the tougher ones ….. that will be taken into consideration.
bdp514am
Just win series.
jkag89
Serious Lee said:

Or even if you're just a littlestitious.
CapCityAg89
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

This is by no means a prediction due to it being way too early and a bunch of factors, but so far, it looks like things may fall somewhere along these lines:

17 wins and top 5 -- National Seed (16+)
18 wins and top 4 -- National Seed, probable top 10, possibly top 8 depending on ACC
19 wins and top 4 -- National Seed in top 8, but could be scattered anywhere in there
20 wins -- National Seed top 4

SO FAR, it looks like an SEC or ACC team will get the top national seed. Oregon State is likely to drop too far due to their SOS alone. Plus, if they get swept by SC this weekend, that itself may end their chance at the top seed, though they still could get a top 8 and certainly national seed.

It will be interesting to see what the committee does with a 45+ win UC Irvine.

Just so we're clear - National seed means top 8. As in super regional host.
Sean98
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Just so we're clear - National seed means top 8. As in super regional host.
This. We're only interested in Top 8. Go get it.

Yes they technically seed 1-16 now, but "National Seed" = Top 8.
TyHolden
AG
Serious Lee said:

OKCAGS
Sweeps have been very rare for us the least few seasons ( rare in SEC in general ) …. This one will prove beneficial when National Seed discussions are in full swing .
phatty26
We unlike l$u arky Fla Vandy and Kentucky don't get three series win vs mizzou. We've got to do it vs all the good teams do if we are 17-13 vs our schedule it is very impressive.
ChemEng94
AG
Well, first leg accomplished. Now let's get at least two at Vandy.
W
AG
so A&M has been a national seed 3 times before -- right?

1999, 2016, and 2022
OKCAGS
Should have been a National Seed in 2011 ( Stilson Injury ) and 2015 ( went to TCU ).
Sq 17
RED AG 98 said:

Impossible conclusion right now without knowing what else happens, in my opinion. We could have 16 W and finish 5th in the league.

Two games over 500 unlikely we finish in the top 3 could be in a
Multi way tie for 5th or 6th

Oc course the committee won't say it but the national seeds do have to be distributed among the 3 good baseball conference
Obviously the SEC is better than the ACC or Big 12 but seems almost a certainty those conference get a national seed or two
Which limits the SEC to getting 3 or 4 national seeds
dermdoc
AG
ChemEng94 said:

Well, first leg accomplished. Now let's get at least two at Vandy.
We are playing at South Carolina. Vandy is at home.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ChemEng94
AG
Yep. Brain fart.
Adam87inSA
AG
With the depth of THIS year's SEC, especially the West? 18-12 just might. 1911 will.
W
AG
hopefully Oregon State will fade...and all 8 national seeds will go to the SEC & ACC

if the ACC proves to be top heavy, the league could push for 4 national seeds

Clemson, FSU, UNC, Virginia, Duke, etc.., look like good candidates right now
Windex
AG
I think 18 wins would do it this season, especially considering we haven't lost an OOC game yet.

17 *might do the trick. 17 would defenitely get us a regional host.

tjack16
AG
I think getting a national seed is the ultimate goal and could be key. The biggest unknown this year is how we play on the road in hostile environments.

Through 28 games (half a season) we've only played 3 games outside the state of Texas, and 4 total games at another team's ballpark. We're 2-2 in those games. I don't count Arlington because it's neutral site and those crowds were 90% maroon.

This team isn't road tested yet outside the midweek in Austin and the series in Florida. So to me I want to play all the postseason games at Olsen until Omaha. Because I know we can and will win consistently at home.
ChemEng94
AG
Leg 2 down and still on schedule.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.