Olsen Field question (new park or just expansion)

17,096 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by LB12Diamond
Cynical_Texan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can someone inform me what A&M plans to do with our ballpark?

Are they going to "fix it up" in the off season or will a new park be built?

Anyone have any renderings of what they plan to build?

Thank you!
RED AG 98
AG
There's not any real info out there on the current proposal but it's supposed to be coming soon...

There were renderings from a few years back, pre-Schloss, that it seems we re-engaged on when he came back. But most recently, it seems those plans just aren't large enough / good enough. He wants to create something really special.

The question of where? seems to have been settled -- same location seems almost a certainty. The open questions seem to be: how big? when? how much $?

I have zero inside knowledge here. Just summarizing what I've read a few recent threads such as:
Schloss on Olsen Expansion | TexAgs
Scooley01
AG
I heard (from a player) that the plan is to fully enclose the field in seating, raising up the current scoreboard. It will (unfortunately) also block view of the train. I'm not sure how much of that is just idea bouncing vs firm intentions, but that's what I was told.

In the same conversation, it was also mentioned that the indoor facilities would be getting an overhaul as well. The PT area and some of the other indoor areas are in bad need of an update.
trouble
AG
The rumor i heard was pretty much complete rebuild in the same location but we still need a major donor
Tuve
Really hope we get firm news soon. Need to build Schloss the new ballpark ASAP. Best coach we've ever had on campus, can't let him leave because of poor facilities.
RED AG 98
AG
I want this. I know there are only so many big donors, and they are taxed between FB, economy, etc... I do wish we could get the public campaign started asap to capitalize on current momentum.

Even though it's a bit frustrating for us peons I realize that's probably all just peanuts compared to getting the lead folks landed...

Anyway, I sincerely hope this is new AD Trevor's job #1.
trouble
AG
I can't think of anything that should be more important right now
e=mc2
AG
I love a good stadium conversation. I'm thinking we could handle around 12,000 in virtually the same footprint. Maybe we go to Bluebell, Bucees, Slovacek, and some others for some marketing rights in the stadium. I wonder how long the naming rights with Bluebell are or was it a one-time donation?

I agree, it needs to be a priority. We have the No. 1 team in the country!

ETA: Meant to do a thumbs up.
twk
AG
e=mc2 said:

I love a good stadium conversation. I'm thinking we could handle around 12,000 in virtually the same footprint. Maybe we go to Bluebell, Bucees, Slovacek, and some others for some marketing rights in the stadium. I wonder how long the naming rights with Bluebell are or was it a one-time donation?

I agree, it needs to be a priority. We have the No. 1 team in the country!

ETA: Meant to do a thumbs up.

I believe the naming rights deal with Blue Bell was 15 years, so there will be two more years left on it after this season. I suspect that if a new sponsor could be found, a buyout of the remaining year or two could be worked out. The Kruze family was instrumental in getting the last renovation done, but I believe the company has been sold, if I recall correctly.

They certainly kicked around a bunch of ideas, but two that seem to have been ruled out are a new park, and a rebuild more or less on the Olsen site. This is just my speculation, but, whatever we do, I don't think there will be any drastic change to the existing grandstand--most of the new stuff will be down the lines and in the outfield. I believe they've ruled out anything that would require a temporary relocation.
TexAg1987
It was moving, then we got a new AD.

I just know that it will need major donors in order to move forward.
twk
AG
TexAg1987 said:

The University told the AD, long before the last change, that there was no land available for a new ballpark. All of it is supposedly committed to other uses in "The Master Plan" (say that with a German accent).
RED AG 98
AG
TexAg1987 said:

As in "the plan was in motion and moving along?"

Or "the ballpark was being relocated/moving?"

I interpreted as the former but looks like twk the latter...
Mission Ranch AG
AG
In talking to Schloss, it looks like it will be a major renovation at Blue Bell. When we renovate Blue Bell, we will have to bring HVAC and electrical up to code. From my understanding those two items will cost several million dollars. He also said that every time it rains, the coaches offices have water standing in them. This will be an expensive renovation.
W
AG
I could be talked into a complete teardown and rebuild

but how long would that take?
Scooley01
AG
W said:

The BBP renovation took the entire off-season and still wasn't fully finished in February when the new season started. A full tear down and rebuild would have to be longer... It might mean playing at a neutral site for home games for a season.
trouble
AG
It might be faster
Hearne_Ag
AG
I don't want to lose the double deck look, one of the best features.
W
AG
and of course that would be a turn-off to 1-year transfer players
Serious Lee
hope the (potential) donors are paying attention.

Quote:

Guest: Two part question and just want your thoughts -All my Longhorn baseball friends are losing patience with Pierce. Not sure he is the answer for leading the team into a tough SEC next year. Do you think DelConte could try to go after Schloss at A&M. They are connected from their days at TCU. Does Pierce need to make post season to keep his job?

Kendall Rogers: Guest I think Texas will be making a coaching change if the season ended today. Coach Pierce and I are close and have a great relationship, but it's also my job to be truthful. I have no doubt Chris Del Conte will shoot for Schlossnagle, but I would be very surprised at this point if that would even be an option unless A&M just bungled the new facility, which I've been told will not happen. Should Texas open (and I'm not saying it will for sure), I have a very good name in mind that I think the Longhorns would have an excellent shot with. Stay tuned.
Bullpen Chias
AG
W said:

From what I gathered, we are not looking at a complete tear down. We are adding seats from 3B to LF Foul pole, and around foul pole to batters eye. A lot of which will be premium. The 1B to RF foul pole was more unclear, but did talk about doubling fixed seating capacity.

I don't see anything major happening to the existing primary seating bowl.
AggieBiker
AG
It's interesting that we could rebuild Kyle, almost the entire stadium save for the students second and third deck and the Zone, in two off seasons but we can't imagine doing the same to Blue Bell. It only takes $$$$$. Of course football $$$$$ is easier to come by than baseball $$$$$.
TexAg1987
The project was moving forward.
In it's current location.

Master plan is not set in stone, fwiw.
Just need the right people on your side and enough money.
SchizoAg
AG
The surprising thing to me is that so few people seem to have much of a sentimental attachment to Olsen Field. Most people couldn't care less where it's located or what it's called. That's the impression I get on these threads, anyway. In my mind it's a "cathedral of college baseball" almost as much as Kyle is for football.
trouble
AG
I 100% do not want it moving away from the tracks.
Ag8086
AG
Just hope no grass berms except maybe outfield for overflow like many college and minor league parks have. And also hope all seats are chair type like tu has and we have on bottom deck. No bleachers either.
YellowPot_97
AG
SchizoAg said:

The surprising thing to me is that so few people seem to have much of a sentimental attachment to Olsen Field. Most people couldn't care less where it's located or what it's called. That's the impression I get on these threads, anyway. In my mind it's a "cathedral of college baseball" almost as much as Kyle is for football.

Same. I love Olson.
cj774
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

SchizoAg said:

Same. I love Olson.

Me too. College sports are meant to be played on campus.
RED AG 98
AG
SchizoAg said:

Some might distinguish pre-reno Olsen vs Blue Bell but I think most people here love it. Personally I like the location and I love love love the train.

However, I also would rather not compromise on a half solution and have a similar discussion in another 10 years. I know the facilities arms race is a different ballgame in the era of NIL, but there's no reason we can't have one of the premier facilities in the country. I just want them to do it right.
TheBonifaceOption
Mission Ranch AG said:

In talking to Schloss, it looks like it will be a major renovation at Blue Bell. When we renovate Blue Bell, we will have to bring HVAC and electrical up to code. From my understanding those two items will cost several million dollars. He also said that every time it rains, the coaches offices have water standing in them. This will be an expensive renovation.

A former frog wouldn't mind this.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I wish A&M would go to the west side of campus and build an absolute palace. I feel like they are limited where Olsen is now.
BiochemAg97
AG
Mission Ranch AG said:

Up to code from the last time we renovated in 2011/2012? Are there really that many changes?
BiochemAg97
AG
Hearne_Ag said:

I don't want to lose the double deck look, one of the best features.

But what about a triple or quadruple deck look. Schloss indicated university said they could build as high as they want.
Hearne_Ag
AG
That would be awesome
Captn_Ag05
AG
I keep purchasing powerball tickets to pay for a stadium remodel, but no luck so far.
vwbug
Renovate current location. With the new football facility beyond CF, the view from the stands can't get much better.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.