Baseball should not be played in Alabama

4,430 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by AggieBB
TheBonifaceOption
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Every year the SECT is played in this so-called state and it's nothing but postponements and lightning delays.

Even today.

Move the tournament to a better place.
TyHolden
AG
Don't worry. They'll move it to Dallas or Austin next year.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Dilly Dilly
Moon Shadow
There ought to be a covered stadium available for the SEC Tournament.
Charlie 31
AG
TheBonifaceOption said:

Every year the SECT is played in this so-called state and it's nothing but postponements and lightning delays.

Even today.

Here are three good options for the SEC Tourney:
1. Globe Life Field in Arlington, Texas, with its retractable roof
2. Minute Maid Park in Houston, Texas, with its retractable roof
3. lonaDepot Park in Miami, Florida, with its fixed-dome roof
RED AG 98
AG
Charlie 31 said:

TheBonifaceOption said:

Even today.

1. Barf - I don't love the idea of an MLB park at all but I hate the idea of the SEC playing on turf.
2. Meh
3. Barf - And Miami isn't even in our natural footprint. Really dislike that idea.
The Marksman
AG
SEC tournament should have left Hoover a long time ago
dabo man
AG
We'll know that tu hasn't changed their ways when it's 2029, and the tournament is at Dell Diamond.
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

Here are three zero good options for the SEC Tourney:
FIFY
dabo man
AG
If I had a vote, I would pick either of the AAA parks in Tennessee (Memphis or Nashville).
RED AG 98
AG
This was somewhat expected for a bit, but if I'm not mistaken last summer they vote to stay in Hoover for another few years.
offenseguru
AG
Minute Maid is grass like the idea
Charlie 31
AG
RED AG 98 said:

This was somewhat expected for a bit, but if I'm not mistaken last summer they vote to stay in Hoover for another few years.
SEC settles on location for future conference baseball tournament
TheBonifaceOption
Charlie 31 said:

TheBonifaceOption said:

Even today.

Florida is almost a worse choice than Bama because the weather at Hoover is usually linked to Atlantic weather events. Hurricane seasons is typically understood as starting June 1, but if mother nature wants to start a week early, who is gonna stop her?
twk
AG
Charlie 31 said:

TheBonifaceOption said:

Even today.

MLB discourages parks with natural turf hosting a conference tournament as it puts a lot of wear and tear on the field. Teams complained about the condition of the field in Arlington after the Rangers hosted the Big XII in the aughts.
jkag89
Never mind. twk beat me to it.
dabo man
AG
GLF?!?

Oh, I call that place THIA
(The Hibachi In Arlington)
jkag89
Moon Shadow said:

Hell no! Baseball outdoors is almost always better than baseball indoors! Even retractable roof stadiums are an imperfect solution in those areas of the country where weather makes them necessary.
Sean98
AG
TheBonifaceOption said:

Charlie 31 said:

TheBonifaceOption said:

Even today.

Florida is almost a worse choice than Bama because the weather at Hoover is usually linked to Atlantic weather events. Hurricane seasons is typically understood as starting June 1, but if mother nature wants to start a week early, who is gonna stop her?
I think the Big12 is at the Hibachi on the same weekend for like another 10 years or something. Which sucks because it's SO much better in OKC
An L of an Ag
AG
Olsen Field or GTFO!
powerbelly
AG
jkag89 said:

Moon Shadow said:

Hell no! Baseball outdoors is almost always better than baseball indoors! Even retractable roof stadiums are an imperfect solution in those areas of the country where weather makes them necessary.

I agree with the exception of conference tournaments. There are so many games that need to be played that rain really throws off the schedule and easily ruins the tournament.
RED AG 98
AG
OKC is a near-perfect baseball tourney setting. So much fun.
AggieBeavs86
AG
It's baseball. It's meant to be played outside. Rain delays, fog, late night baseball in Hoover - doesn't get much better IMO. But I'm old.
jkag89
Next season the SEC Tournament is going to single elimination so it will become less of an issue and IMO the angst over it is all blown out of proportion. While almost every Tournament has had some issue with rain since the Aggies joined the league only last year was it really a major headache..

Anyways, the three domed stadiums specifically built for baseball that kinda sorta fit the SEC footprint are nonstarters as pointed out above. At one time the Superdome could be configured for baseball but I'd rather cancel the tournament all together than play it there.

RED AG 98
AG
Real Madrid figured this out... surely the big ol' SEC can figure it out too! Also the money in Euro soccer is insane...

TempleAg97
AG
RED AG 98 said:

OKC is a near-perfect baseball tourney setting. So much fun.

Agreed. This is the ONLY thing I miss about the Big 12. Lots of great memories attending the Big 12 Baseball Tournament in OKC.
Buford T. Justice
AG
It's never leaving the southeast.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
tjack16
AG
Nashville
Atlanta
Biloxi

All decent options. Truist park would be my pick in Atlanta if you can have the Braves go on a 7+ game road trip which is pretty common in the MLB. Also the AAA stadium in Nashville would be fun
victory
AG
OKC was an outstanding venue for the Big XII Tourney. Some really good times there in the late 90's early 2000's. Not a fan of having college games in MLB stadiums, thousands of empty seats just isn't a great look.
jkag89
You do realize that futbol can easily afford such an expense? Something similar for a one week tournament for a minor college sport seems excessive.

Also baseball should be played outdoors when possible. At best retractable roof parks can only partially keep the feel of a true open air stadium.
RED AG 98
AG
Agreed. I don't like the mlb park idea. This was 100% in jest.
ArlingtonAg2015
AG
I'd like to see it move to AutoZone Park in Memphis. Cool downtown ballpark, new-ish (2000), holds 10k which is just a bit less than Hoover. Within 600 miles of every SEC school (Nashville, Atlanta are not).

Memphis is my vote.
TheBonifaceOption
jkag89 said:

Next season the SEC Tournament is going to single elimination so it will become less of an issue and IMO the angst over it is all blown out of proportion. While almost every Tournament has had some issue with rain since the Aggies joined the league only last year was it really a major headache..

Anyways, the three domed stadiums specifically built for baseball that kinda sorta fit the SEC footprint are nonstarters as pointed out above. At one time the Superdome could be configured for baseball but I'd rather cancel the tournament all together than play it there.

While going from 17 games to 14 or so reduces the load of any given game's chances of weather delay, there is an inescapable reality that the Tournament will be impacted. And it's not just "this game will start later" it's more like "these two starting pitchers have blanked their opponents for 4 innings, whelp 2 hr delay I guess their performance is over for the tournament."

Or a team is leading by 4 or 5 getting a run or two across 7 innings and their pitching has been stellar, when the game resumes their rhythm is off and the opponents score 6 to win.

One could say "that's baseball" and just shrug it off. But it's not some random game in a 162 game schedule; it's the post season and it has implications for CWS and the success of a program's season. And these weather problems aren't just random events effecting single games, it's perennial. It's every.fkin.year.

"Remember that MLB world series were game 3 got delayed? Wasn't that crazy?!" is so different than "which SECT games got disrupted this year?!"

One of the reasons the CWS is held in Omaha is that you almost never have weather problems in early June. Can it happen? Sure. Does it happen often? No. Does it happen every single year without fail? Absolutely not because it would be dumb to host a baseball tournament at a site that historically storms the EXACT WEEK of the tournament without fail.
tjack16
AG
ArlingtonAg2015 said:

I'd like to see it move to AutoZone Park in Memphis. Cool downtown ballpark, new-ish (2000), holds 10k which is just a bit less than Hoover. Within 600 miles of every SEC school (Nashville, Atlanta are not).

Memphis is my vote.

Nashville AAA stadium would be my vote. That's where the basketball tournament has been too

jkag89
Quote:

One of the reasons the CWS is held in Omaha is that you almost never have weather problems in early June.
Over a ten day or so tournament there is usually one day that has some weather issues and you get some yahoo using it as an excuse to move it out of Omaha to do something like March Madness moving it around MLB parks or worse yet building a domed stadium for the purpose. Don't believe me, just got to any of the past CWS TexAgs Threads.

I have no problem moving the SEC Tournament out of Hoover and if this is reason for you starting this thread fine. However keep in mind that the SEC is unlikely going to move it to spot on the fringe of its footprint nor is there a domed stadium now readily available to move it. If you don't like Hoover come up with reasonable options in which the league can move the tournament.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.