Battleship Texas is leaving San Jacinto on August 31

27,049 Views | 181 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ag_of_08
Smeghead4761
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jkag89 said:

I didn't think it was. I was just wondering if it were feasible based upon your thinking it was weird that the USS Wisconsin was moored in Norfolk.
I think the USS Batfish being in Oklahoma is odder.
nortex97
AG
Looks like work was finished, it was refloated yesterday;

aggie_sprt
Yep, its great to see her in the water again. There is still quite a bit of work to be done to the topsides (months in fact) before it moves to its new home which is assumed to be Pier 21 (though not officially announced yet).

The foundation's facebook page really is a great source for the latest on what is going on.

Battleship Texas Foundation group

FAQ from the FB page

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
WHAT'S NEXT? - Battleship Texas will remain at Gulf Copper Shipyard for the time being. Additional steel work, removal and replacement of the ship's deck, and superstructure/aft fire control restoration will continue.
SPLASH! - The ship will be put back into the water in mid to late February 2024.
KEEL BLOCKS - Yes, the keel blocks supporting Battleship Texas can be moved. Each block is moved so the area atop of them can be blasted, repaired (if need be), and coated.
WHAT ABOUT THE RUDDER? - The rudder will remain where it is. Funding is best spent elsewhere.
WILL THE SHIP RUN AGAIN? - No, the ship will never be able to run under its own power again.
TOURING? - The Battleship Texas Foundation is working on new touring opportunities before the ship reopens.
REOPENING? - There is a lot to be done before the ship is ready for touring at its new home in Galveston, Texas. Reopening is projected to happen sometime in 2025 or 2026.
JABQ04
AG
Smeghead4761 said:

jkag89 said:

I didn't think it was. I was just wondering if it were feasible based upon your thinking it was weird that the USS Wisconsin was moored in Norfolk.

Nazi Uboat inside a museum in Chicago is odd. Cool story though, from capture to moving it to its current location
BrazosBendHorn
JABQ04 said:

Smeghead4761 said:

jkag89 said:

Nazi Uboat inside a museum in Chicago is odd. Cool story though, from capture to moving it to its current location
We took the guided tour of the U-Boat back in the summer of 2014. Very interesting. They also had some "hands on" interactive exhibits there (maintaining buoyancy, operating the dive planes).

Early this week this video regarding the U-505 happened to pop up in my YouTube feed. An entertaining take on the subject.
Smeghead4761
JABQ04 said:

Smeghead4761 said:

jkag89 said:

The Batfish actually got refloated a couple of years ago - when the park where it lives flooded. Some damage done, which they're still working on fixing. The IG feed Haze Gray History had some posts on it recently.
Ag_of_08
AG
The destination has been announced, Travis and hunter both have made it very clear where it's headed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.