Real Estate
Sponsored by

Our next flip in Timbergrove

30,681 Views | 189 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Red Pear Realty
Red Pear Realty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
I just closed on 1307 Guese Rd, 77008 yesterday and want to document the process here to maybe encourage others and hopefully make the project better with the huge mind.

Here's our team:

-Jay Hurst closed our hard money loan (many thanks!)
-Alan Kent (Kent & Kent, also an Aggie) will be doing the architectural and engineering
-Yours truly will be the GC

I'll post a quick screenshot from my phone this morning and upload a better one from a computer later. Current square footage is about 1,575 (3 beds, 2 baths) and our plan is to add about 1,000 SF and another bedroom and bath for a grand total of 4 beds, 3 baths, and about 2,575 SF and sell it next summer.

LET'S GO
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Here's the as is:

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Sasha and I (I'll post more about him later) got started on demo first thing this morning and the dumpster just got delivered.

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Bogey1996
Maybe you can answer this question. Is the center post on a two door garage structural or can that be converted rather inexpensively to a one door garage?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I just ripped some drywall out to see. I would say that's structural, but I'm definitely not an engineer so I could be wrong.

Shouldn't be hard to run a header and make it a single. Would y'all rather have a single than two doubles?

Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Carpet is all gone. And so is some drywall. Lots more of that to remove.

12thMan9
AG
I hope you're keeping those wood floors.
Ronnie '88
MS08
AG
Bogey1996 said:

Maybe you can answer this question. Is the center post on a two door garage structural or can that be converted rather inexpensively to a one door garage?

Structural. Not worth the expense on a Flip like this to convert the garage door to anything different than what it is, IMO.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
12thMan9 said:

I hope you're keeping those wood floors.

Yes we are.
MS08
AG
Red Pear, what do you anticipate your Sales Price/SQFT to be?
E
AG
Right around the corner from me, will be cool to see what you do to it.
Tormentos
AG
Reminds me of my first home in Lazybrook, ripped up all the carpet and had oak floors below. After a sand/poly they looked great.
FightinTAC08
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

Would y'all rather have a single than two doubles?

As the male - I want two doors. built in buffers for the car doors. my wife on the other hands wants a single so she can park in the middle and make me park outside.

but I wouldn't touch a conversion like that for a flip.

Alex Bregman
AG
My old hood! Good luck, you'll get your return on investment in Timbergove.

I like the double doors aesthetically. I hate the look of one massive door on front loading garages, especially since it takes up like 40% of the width of a house this size.
Diggity
AG
MS08 said:

Bogey1996 said:

Structural. Not worth the expense on a Flip like this to convert the garage door to anything different than what it is, IMO.

Agreed. You would probably have to add a new header and lintel, which wouldn't be cheap. Doubt it would be an accretive job for a flip.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
The comps from this summer indicate a likely sales price in the high $300 per square foot range. I believe there were a couple of trades over $400 per square foot. But there's a lot of time between today and this summer.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
That's basically a summary of my wife and I talking about what we should do with the garage doors. Many thanks to everyone for the feedback. I don't want to be a cheapskate, but given y'all's input, I think keeping them separate is the right thing to do.
MS08
AG
Wow, Pushing $1mm? Interested to see the fit & finish.
htxag09
AG
MS08 said:

Wow, Pushing $1mm? Interested to see the fit & finish.

Some of the recent sells in timbergrove have been absolutely bat **** crazy….imo
SnowboardAg
AG
You raising ceilings? I'll be curious what the new design looks like. Outside of demo, you taking on anything else yourself other than GC? We just painted the brick on our old ranch, and can't tell you what a huge pop that did for the house. Neighbors compliment that more than anything and it was 6-8k to give that curb appeal.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
We do plan to vault the current master bedroom and living room as much as possible when we add the additional square footage (will be raised also).

Besides demo and planning, I plan to paint the house, inside and out. I know some people think I'm crazy when I tell them this, but I really enjoy painting. I'm also planning to drywall the garage myself as a sort of practice space. Drywall really is an art form that I want to get better at, and I see the garage as a "safe space" where I can practice. Oh and landscaping. The rest I plan to sub out.

This is the house next door that's a great comp in just about every way. It's basically exactly what we want to do but three years later. Not sure how much I'm allowed to post on a public forum but it sold for high $700s in the middle of 2020.

https://s.hartech.io/mHHFTVPEvdp9
wessimo
AG
Nice! Looking forward to following along
MS08
AG
wessimo said:

Nice looking forward to following along
Same.
SnowboardAg
AG
Thanks for sharing with us in the journey. Very cool and looks like a fun project. I just finished GCing my whole exterior - lot regrade (removed 26 loads of dirt), drainage, patio addition, hardie / painting / gutters, sprinkler, sewer, PEX repipe, garage electrical, driveway and landscaping. You need any of those trades and I'm happy to share. Thought about doing something like you're doing but I'm more a weekend warrior so it takes me a while. I feel like time would be my enemy bc I can be a little perfectionist with things.
JP76
The studs are usually load bearing supporting ~ 8-9 ft headers on each side. I have seen a few instances that were single 16-18 ft headers with studs under in the center but I would venture that 90+% are two separate headers if you see Two single garage doors.
Opening it up requires temporary bracing and replacing the 2 headers with a single laminated beam. You also often have to cut/grind the center where the brick ledge was to get it flush with the rest of the garage floor
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Who said I'm not an engineer? Safety first. Air quality is important, even on a job site.

And sadly the curtains didn't make it.

The Fife
I like the way the brick looks as-is. After owning a house where someone painted it, there's no way I'd ever buy another. Too much maintenance.
Diggity
AG
99% of wives looking at remodeled Ranch houses disagree with you
The Fife
Fine by me, they can deal with making it look clean and paying someone to repaint it once every 5-10 years. I got sick of it.

IMO the look is this decade's version of covering up hardwood flooring with carpet.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I tend to agree with you BUT as Diggity said, this is what the market wants today, so I'm delivering it to them!
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Oh, and for giggles:

https://www.har.com/homedetail/1622-haverhill-dr-houston-tx-77008/3254103
MS08
htxag09
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

Oh, and for giggles:

That's the exact house I was thinking when I said timbergrove prices have gotten bat **** crazy lol.
wessimo
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

Oh, and for giggles:

Woah.

Edit - right on Ella also. Crazy.
tmaggie50
AG
A family of 40 lives there and it moonlights as a small restaurant.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.