2024 Masters Tips
31,294 Views | 432 Replies
lazuras_dc
8:58p, 4/9/24
You guys figure it's busier with patrons for practice rounds or for tournament ?
Marauder Blue 6
9:12p, 4/9/24
In reply to lazuras_dc
lazuras_dc said:

You guys figure it's busier with patrons for practice rounds or for tournament ?

My gut feeling says probably practice rounds.
Johnny Foosball
9:21p, 4/9/24
StoopingLow
10:14p, 4/9/24
Great first day at Augusta. Got there around 1pm and decided to walk grounds first, had some brews and slowly walked course. At around 5pm went to merch and waited maybe 15 minutes. Had great selection of polos and most merch.

Planning to be in line by 6AM tomorrow to get Gnome and a few items we didn't get today.

Rhineharts was a great rec. Highly recommend.
investorAg83
4:17a, 4/10/24
In reply to bowhuntr
bowhuntr said:

I believe there is a big difference between arriving to the parking lot at 6 and 6:30 when it comes to how long all of the things take. 6:30 folks ended up being about an hour behind me when all said and done.

As a 630 parking lot arrival, I can confirm this to be true.
Aggie Therapist
5:50a, 4/10/24
In reply to Johnny Foosball
Johnny Foosball said:

Is that Aginlakeway?
Saucerito
6:41a, 4/10/24
Figure I'd post a few points about my experience at the Monday practice round.

-Most of what you've read (except a couple things below) about the Masters on this thread and elsewhere is accurate so I won't go into much detail on that. The course was incredible/immaculate. Like an enormous green carpet that happens to grow out of the ground.

-parked at the North lot around 6:15. Started off in a somewhat single file line before they started moving us forward into groups. My SIL went back to the car to get a jacket while we waited (not expecting to be moving already). Since we had no phones and didn't want to get separated we hung back and let people pass us. SIL tried to rejoin us in line and got yelled at and threatened by the traffic guy for cutting the line. He had clearly singled her out as there were tons of people walking directly from their cars into the moving line way ahead of us (obviously cutting). Unfortunate experience and left a bad taste in our mouth right at the beginning. Fortunately, that was the only bad experience of the day.

-got into the north merch store around 7:15 and shopped til about 8. Since we had decided not to place chairs on the course, we took our time somewhat. It was crazy jam packed in there as they weren't limiting entries at first. Once they did, it got a little better. Gnomes were plentiful and still available when we checked out. I've tracked some of the prices of things the last couple years and feel like there were a few things that went up significantly vs previous years (Masters Tech 1/4 zip went from $110-$125 while some things didn't change).

-We shipped our stuff home and shipping was very efficient. Unfortunately I got hit with a $116 shipping bill for $700 of stuff. The only "big" items were the gnome and a poster/tube that had to be shipped in a separate box. I should have questioned the cost but I didn't. So just beware since I had always read that the shipping costs were reasonable (~$40).

-Walked onto the course around 8:15-8:30 and immediately saw tiger and will zalatoris teeing off 10. Watched them through 12 which immediately made our day.

-Walked all 18 holes and then some (similarly to the mygolfspy article linked above).

-skipping at 16 was fun.

-got to see Phil, Bubba, Niemann up close on 2 green.

-Unless you're going to camp out in one spot all day (not recommended), there is absolutely no need to place chairs during a practice round. There are so many open ones on the ropes to sit in.

-Didn't seem like anyone played more than 9 holes (could be wrong) and not everyone played. Also, everyone took a lot of time putting and chipping around the greens so play is very slow but interesting to watch them practice.

All in all, it was an amazing day.
aginlakeway
7:36a, 4/10/24
In reply to Aggie Therapist
Aggie Therapist said:

Johnny Foosball said:

Is that Aginlakeway?

No. But I am in this picture, actually playing Augusta National.

aginlakeway
7:46a, 4/10/24
In reply to Saucerito
Awesome summary.

I also can't stress enough to folks the inportance of getting there early. Parking before 630 is ideal. IMO.
98Ag99Grad
7:47a, 4/10/24
In reply to lazuras_dc
lazuras_dc said:

98Ag99Grad said:

In the car and headed back to the house. What a fantastic day! Got to the course around 6:20 and was the second wave through the gate. Glad we got all that shopping done early. Never saw Tiger but followed Scheffler some.

How crowded was merch ? Did you finish checking out by 8am when main ropes dropped ?

We were done shopping and had everything shipped by 8:30
CCred92
7:50a, 4/10/24
In reply to aginlakeway
Anyone in that picture shoot under par?
Aggie Therapist
7:59a, 4/10/24
In reply to aginlakeway
aginlakeway said:

Aggie Therapist said:

Johnny Foosball said:

Is that Aginlakeway?

I love it! Really cool.

Bring that fashion back please!
aginlakeway
8:14a, 4/10/24
In reply to CCred92
CCred92 said:

Anyone in that picture shoot under par?

No one in that picture broke 90. I did 4 putt on 8. And I did par 13. So I have that going for me ...
CN
9:33a, 4/10/24
My tickets are for Friday and I was planning on going in the south gate, getting merch, and then heading straight to 15 to put down (two borrowed) chairs. But this is my first time and from everything I've read they say to go through the north gate if it's your first time. We totally plan on walking the course, the chairs are for when we can't get in the stands. I plan on getting there around 6 but will be coming in from Columbia so any guidance as to when to leave and what to expect in terms of traffic will be much appreciated.
cab559
9:35a, 4/10/24
In reply to aginlakeway
aginlakeway said:

Awesome summary.

I also can't stress enough to folks the inportance of getting there early. Parking before 630 is ideal. IMO.
What about saturday / sunday rounds?
JCA1
10:24a, 4/10/24
In reply to StoopingLow
StoopingLow said:

Great first day at Augusta. Got there around 1pm and decided to walk grounds first, had some brews and slowly walked course. At around 5pm went to merch and waited maybe 15 minutes. Had great selection of polos and most merch.

Planning to be in line by 6AM tomorrow to get Gnome and a few items we didn't get today.

Rhineharts was a great rec. Highly recommend.
I've only been once so I'm clearly not the expert but it seems everyone gives the same advice to hit the merch shop first and I'm not sure that's still the move as a result. We went to the shop first but, like you, I popped back in on the way out and there wasn't much of a line at all.
cr06gis
10:28a, 4/10/24
In reply to CN
CN said:

My tickets are for Friday and I was planning on going in the south gate, getting merch, and then heading straight to 15 to put down (two borrowed) chairs. But this is my first time and from everything I've read they say to go through the north gate if it's your first time. We totally plan on walking the course, the chairs are for when we can't get in the stands. I plan on getting there around 6 but will be coming in from Columbia so any guidance as to when to leave and what to expect in terms of traffic will be much appreciated.
Attended Monday (also stayed in Columbia). Left the hotel at 545, parked at 715 (later arrival than most).We parked closer to north gate, but the line was insane so we walked to south gate and walked right in. We left after 6p thru the north gate so we experienced that entrance in reverse. I get both sides of the argument for which gate to enter as a first timer, both are very nice. The walk from the south gate gift shop to 13 green is beautiful. Might be different for a tourney round, but it only took us 30 minutes to get back to I-20 from the lot.
JCA1
10:34a, 4/10/24
In reply to CN
CN said:

If you're trying to get to 15, the south gate is the way to go.
KaneIsAble
10:50a, 4/10/24
Is the merch store the same at the South as the North and do they have shipping there too? Will be there Friday too.
aginlakeway
10:51a, 4/10/24
In reply to CN
CN said:

15 is no where near the north gate. It is very close to the south gate.

Get in line for south gate EARLY, enter thru south gate when it opens, walk quickly to 15 and put down your chairs and THEN go get merch, etc. Then return to your chairs later.

aginlakeway
10:53a, 4/10/24
In reply to KaneIsAble
KaneIsAble said:

Is the merch store the same at the South as the North and do they have shipping there too? Will be there Friday too.

South is half the size but has the same stuff. Shipping is right there too; next door to the merch exit. Easy.
KaneIsAble
11:02a, 4/10/24
In reply to aginlakeway
Thanks.
aginlakeway
11:21a, 4/10/24
Sidenote on the UPS shipping next to merch.

They do EVERYTHING for you, even box is up. And for a fair shipping cost.

We paid $60 on Monday morning, and our stuff will be in Austin tomorrow (Thursday)
lazuras_dc
1:21p, 4/10/24
In reply to Project Gemini
Project Gemini said:

Thanks for the replies

Hey Project Gemini, I think you had tix for Saturday right? If you by chance leave with any time left before gates close, any chance you'd be willing to allow me to use the ticket to go in and get merch? That way we don't have to mess with it on Sunday morning and can go straight to put our chairs down somewhere? can pay ya some or buy ya a drink ! email me lazurasdc at yahoo
AgOutsideAustin
5:10p, 4/10/24
In reply to CashinOut
CashinOut said:

Gonna offload a badge tomorrow to one of these roadside guys unless there's an Ag who's in Augusta that wants to meet later and buy a Wednesday badge.

Thanks again CashinOut for the Texags hookup. Today was an outstanding day on the course and I'm sure you enjoyed it as much as I did !!
FirefightAg
5:44p, 4/10/24
Was just there today. 1st time. Unless there is something particular you're wanting wait for merch. If you're staying until late in the day they had pretty much everything we bought still for sale all sizes at south merch tent. Don't waste you're time in line

My overall experience I'd rate a 4 out of 10. Not impressed
aginlakeway
5:45p, 4/10/24
In reply to FirefightAg
FirefightAg said:

Was just there today. 1st time. Unless there is something particular you're wanting wait for merch. If you're staying until late in the day they had pretty much everything we bought still for sale all sizes at south merch tent. Don't waste you're time in line

What were you not impressed with?
LRB38
5:48p, 4/10/24
In reply to FirefightAg
FirefightAg said:

Is your overall rating just for the merch shop?
Aggie Therapist
5:55p, 4/10/24
In reply to LRB38
We're rating merch shops now?

I wonder if he forgot about the golf tournament?
bowhuntr
5:59p, 4/10/24
He obviously didn't know about the gnome.
cr06gis
6:07p, 4/10/24
In reply to FirefightAg
FirefightAg said:

Cypress Point or nothing, amirite?
LRB38
6:09p, 4/10/24
In reply to bowhuntr
Or he just got there late and they were already sold out.
DannyDuberstein
6:18p, 4/10/24
In reply to aginlakeway
aginlakeway said:

Aggie Therapist said:

Johnny Foosball said:

Is that Aginlakeway?

Did you win the 1991 Masters?
aginlakeway
6:38p, 4/10/24
In reply to DannyDuberstein
Lol. No. But I won the media lottery in 1994. So just about the same thing.
aginlakeway
6:38p, 4/10/24
In reply to bowhuntr
bowhuntr said:

He obviously didn't know about the gnome.

We bought 2. And I am 100% keeping both.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 7 of 13
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings