2024 Masters Tips

29,918 Views | 426 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Aggie Therapist
booradley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here's the 2024 VERSION of the annual tips for the Masters... i post this every year. there's a few changes but mostly the same information. yes its very long.

DISCLAIMER: I don't claim to know everything, just passing on my advice and opinions... please add any suggestions or tips of your own

COVID Updates: hopefully 2024 doesn't really include any COVID restrictions. We have not been informed of any restrictions…

My first Masters was in 1995… and have worked as a volunteer since 2003. I'll be on the scoring committee again this year, but worked many years on the information boards. I also ran the 1st tee during the practice rounds for many years before moving to scoring…

PRACTICE ROUNDS:
MONDAY - understand that MONDAY is the day with the least play… but a great day to see the course…
Some of the players will play - and you'll certainly enjoy the course and seeing it first hand. but don't be surprised if some of the big names (Rahm, Woods) do not play on Monday. And I don't recommend hanging out on the 1st tee hoping someone will show up. That's a waste of time…. And remember that none of the volunteers (marshals) know who will play or when they'll play. There's no tee times…. The players play as much or as little as they want. Your best source to find out who's playing is the INFORMATION Boards (not the scoreboard). The Information boards will show you who's on the coursea (and who's on the practice range)

TUESDAY is a great practice round day… almost all of the field will play, and most will play 18 holes. Many of the best players (tiger, Freddie) will be off 1 or 10 very early. So get there early. Bubba Watson is usually the first one off, and usually plays alone… if you're mostly interested in watching the big names, I'd get there early.
WEDNESDAY everyone loves Wednesday, and that includes the volunteers (marshals and scorers) as most volunteers will get the afternoon off. The par 3 is great, but if that's your only day, you will not see as much play on the big course as many players are resting for Thursday…
THING TO KNOW: YES THERE IS PLAY ON THE BIG COURSE ON WEDNESDAY. BUT ALL PLAY MUST STOP ON THE BIG COURSE BY 2 PM TO ALLOW PREPARATION FOR THURSDAY. But Wednesday afternoon is all about the Par 3. After 2 pm on Wednesday, you can still walk around the big course to look at it, but there will be no players.
Arrive early and watch play on the big course Wednesday morning, then wander over to the par 3 course for the afternoon. The par 3 usually starts around 1130 am.
NOTE that the par 3 course has been redesigned. So give it a look…

A - CAMERAS - Everyone knows you can bring a camera in on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday… but no chairs with arms, and NO CELL PHONES. Remember you'll go thru a metal detector on the way in… Your camera must be a camera to take pictures. You will not be allowed to bring in a phone to take pictures… you can leave your cell phone in the car or they will check it for you at the gate.

B - Check out the INFORMATION BOARDS. There's 7 of them around the course, but the first one to look at is by the main leaderboard (front gate) or by the concessions at the back gate those boards will tell you who's on the course and when they teed off or when they made the turn. It will also tell you who's on the driving range…

Once the tournament starts on Thursday the boards will have the tee times / schedule for the players, and will also let you know when players make the turn.

C Remember that there are NO TEE TIMES FOR THE PRACTICE ROUNDS. The players will play whenever they want. And they can go off the front, or the back, or stop at any point.

QUICK STORY THAT MAKES THE NO TEE TIMES POINT…
A couple of years ago, it was a Monday and everyone kept asking me where Tiger was… Of course we don't know when the players will play… Anyway at about 4:00, tiger came out of the clubhouse and tee'd off on #10…. Thousands of people were so excited that tiger was finally playing… and he took thousands of people with him down the hill on #10. But after putting out on 10, he walked over to the 18 tee (which is close to 10 green) and played 18 back up the hill and then went back in the clubhouse. Many of these people were then mad at me…. again the players do whatever they want during the practice rounds…

D - PARKING is now a snap since they've cleared out all the houses along Berkman drive. just follow the signs. earlier the better. i'd recommend taking the bobby jones exit from i20 versus Washington road. Washington road always has the most traffic. Early and late...
it's a great story how we (volunteers) showed up around 10 years ago and literally thousands of houses along and behind berkmans road had been bought, moved, dozed, whatever… to create all that free parking… so enjoy it.
You can also spend $10 20 parking in a church or business along Washington road. But remember that's like main street for augusta… lots of traffic… I vote for the free parking off of berkman…

E - TRAFFIC is a problem. remember - augusta is a very small town to host such a large event. Its spring break for the people who live there. Most people who live there want to get as far away as possible, so they rent their house and hit the road.

F BUY YOUR STUFF when you get there and SHIP IT HOME. There's no sense lugging it around. You can ship or store it while you see the course. Prices are mostly the same as what you'd pay at your local pro shop. I've been watching people buy stuff for 20 years, and most people spend at least $300, and many people go much higher. I've heard of people spending $20,000…

you can also ship your extra clothes home.... so if its cold in the morning, take those layers off later and ship them home via Fedex. they don't care what you put in the shipping box.... grab an Augusta National pine cone and ship it home....

the pro shop at the front gate entry is the largest one, but there's also a really nice one at the back gate. the back gate area was re-done several years ago - its very nice... that's also where Berckman's place is... the front gate merchandise and concessions areas have been redone as well.

G the FOOD IS CHEAP. You'll understand this if you've ever been to the US open, or an NFL game. A sandwich is $2 3 dollars. Chips are a buck. A coke is $1.50… eat up… beer is cheap too, but they stop selling it at 4:00. People rave about the pimento sandwich, but I don't like pimento… I go all out and spend $3.50 on the club sandwich

H - RHINEHARTS is my best DINING recommendation. its about 3 miles from ANGC on the other side of i20 on Washington road. Its very rustic (it's a dive…), but the best fried shrimp I've ever had. It always looks crowed, but you can get in. I will eat there several nights during masters week… there's another rhineharts further out on Washington road that's less crowded and the same great food / beer… but really the restaurants along Washington road are easier to get in than you would think.
Especially the non native food… but beware… Mexican food in augusta isn't the same as tex mex in texas…

I WILL BE AT RHINEHEARTS ON MONDAY NIGHT WITH MY BOYS

I - I don't get the CHAIR thing. yes - you can buy a chair, put it down on the ropes, and leave it and not worry about losing it - but the stands are there for a reason. the best viewing is the stands. i'd avoid the chair thing…. But lots of people disagree with me…
Remember that you can sit in someone else's chair…. But they'll ask you nicely to move when they return. Just sit in another chair. Really it's a nice place….

NOTE: if it rains or storms go back and pick up your chair…. If AN decides to move all the patrons outside the inner gate (back to the concession and merchandise areas), you may NOT be able to retrieve your chair later if play doesn't resume…

J best seat / viewing at Augusta? The right side stands on #15 (last par 5 on the back). You'll see the shots into the green on 15 and the shots into 16 (par 3 my hole). Those stands are always full. but be patient. People will leave. So hang out in line and you'll get a seat… remember the stands are there for a reason… most of the best viewing is where the stands are…

K - see the entire course…. walk all of it. you may never be there again. And you'll be blown away by the slopes, size of greens, depth of bunkers, hump in the green on #6, size of green on #3, the skinny green on #7; the elevation change on #6 and #10, beauty everywhere.

Notice the design also remember the changes that have been made some good, some bad… 'all because the ball goes too far….

A few highlights:
Hole #1 note the depth of the right bunkers. Also note how far the tee box has been moved back.
Hole #2 easiest hole on the course
Hole #3 now almost driveable by many in the field. But note what's behind the green and how easy it is to hit over it.
Hole #4 brutal par 3…. Brutal green. Remember when phil hit the rail of the stands?
#5 - MAKE THE WALK TO SEE hole #5. This hole was always interesting because of the green. And it's the hole that is LEAST VISITED because of where it is…
But AN moved the tee box in 2019. The hole is longer (of course), but the tee box was moved to relieve congestion with the 4th green. And since AN owns more property (closing berkmans road), they moved the fence and found room to build a new ELEVATED tee box. We saw the construction last may when we were there for PLAYDAY… but I'm anxious to see it now that its finished. I have mixed emotions here. The congestion with people traffic from the 4th green was real. So they probably had to do it. But now they've really changed the hole to be less of a dogleft left. BEFORE they moved the tee box, the tee shot was intimidating because of the bunkers on the left side and the tree line on the right. Many people find the trees because the left bunkers are deep. Now that its straighter, I think the tee shot will be easier. I just don't think you change the routing on a great course like that….
And remember the 5th green. You must see it. Note the super large hump in the middle of the green. You will not notice this as much on TV…

#6 = Note the elevation change (visually) on #6, the par 3. But its mostly an optical delusion… it looks like its massively downhill. But it plays almost flat…

Look at #7 that green is ridiculous lots of slopes, and its tiny. The hole (#7) was designed in the early 30's to be played as a 3 iron and then a PW on to the green. Designed as a 325 yard hole with tree's crimping in towards the greens. In other words, the green was designed to accept a shot from a wedge. And the hole was designed to be a very tight driving hole hence the 3 iron. But over time, the trees continue to grow in, making the hole tighter now than before. The storm a couple of years ago thinned the tops of many trees, but there's no questions they are larger now…
#7 is now 450 yards and tighter than ever because the trees keep growing… and the green is still a postage stamp...
And yes I'm one of those old guys who thinks the ball goes too far and its ruining a lot of great golf courses around the country.

Hole #8 note how uphill the hole is. Again hard to see on TV.

#9 is another hole that's been moved way back…. I remember when every player hit their tee shot to the bottom of the hill and thru the cross walk. But note how scary the approach looks to that elevated green. That green is a 3 putt waiting to happen..

#10 no one realizes how downhill this par 4 is… its shocking to people seeing it for the first time. And you'll notice a large bunker in the middle of the fairway about 90 yards from the green. Its not really in play, but that bunker was a green side bunker before the green was moved.

#11 TEE BOX HAS BEEN MOVED (again) note the difference between the member tee and the pro tee. Its about 150 yards… beautiful hole, but a scary 2nd shot with the water on the left. Missing the green on the right isn't fun either. Unless you're larry mize…

#12 beautiful hole. The big surprise for me was realizing that the creek is concrete lined. The first time I played it, I couldn't believe the creek was lined with concrete to eliminate any risk of erosion.

#13 my favorite hole… tons of action and history. Another hole where distance has made it a very easy par 5 for the pro's. and everyone knows that AN bought land from Augusta Country Club to move the tee back.. ACC had to move a green to accommodate AN… but anything can be done when you don't care what it costs…

#14 my least favorite hole. Its easier now as they reduced the size of the hump in the green..

#15 another great hole… (ADDED LENGTH LAST YEAR)…risk / reward… note the trees on the right. They're mature now, but everyone remembers when they were planted to eliminate the Tiger effect.

#16 -my hole - Another must do for the practice rounds is #16…. make sure you see the players skip balls on #16. It always amazes me to see a great pro hit a 7 or 8 iron to 30 feet on #16... but then skip it 10 times off the pond in front of the green to 5 feet. and yes - john daly made a hole in one on 16 one year by skipping the ball. it was a practice round but the place went nuts...
John doesn't get to play the Masters anymore - but he's always in his RV selling clothes and hats in the Hooter's parking lot... go by and see him...

#17 it's a totally different tee shot now that the Eisenhower tree has been removed. It was damaged in a storm several years ago and AN had to remove it. I'm actually surprised they haven't replaced it… it's a much easier tee show now.
LAST YEAR (2023), 3 trees fell on the 17th hole very close to the tee box. (87 feet from my chair...) It was scary, but I'm sure augusta national has tested and secured every tree on the property…

#18. Last hole but not least by any means. Make sure you see #18 from the tee box. Most people are shocked to see how uphill it is. But it makes sense given how downhill #10 is. And note the tightness of the shoot that the tee shot is hit thru. And note the green…. TV doesn't show the tiers in the green…

THAT'S ALL FOR THE COURSE… BACK TO A FEW SUGGESTIONS…

L WHAT TO WEAR… first watch the weather. It can be quite cool in the morning, but warm up nicely in the afternoons. Obviously wear layers…

Also I used to make fun of all the guys wearing golf shoes… and I can also remember the noise of metal spikes… but now I've changed my mind especially when it rains. Remember AN is full of slopes. (trust me if you've never been there, you will be shocked by the slopes around the green and how much of an elevated tee #10 is…)
When it rains its very slippery… ive seen lots of falls and spills over the years which is I why I think soft spikes (that are comfortable) is a good idea. But remember you'll walk a lot…

I would not carry an umbrella in. if its rains, go buy one. they're about $40 and you wanted an excuse to buy one anyway...

M - make sure you check out the driving range… I haven't been everywhere, but I've never seen anything like it…

N - autographs - lots of possibilities at the par 3 event on wednesday, but officially, the only place you're supposed to get autographs is where the players leave the driving range...
but there's always a few kids waiting for players as they exit the 18th green and the nice pro's will usually sign...

O Lastly, don't be that guy. Avoid being:
[ol]
  • "the you da man guy, or the booyah or 'mashed potatoes' guy.
  • the drink all day guy carrying your masters beer cups around
  • the guy who goes thru the trash looking for plastic masters cups,
  • the guy who wears the ricky fowler clothes, or the guy who wears the loudmouth pants
  • ...the masters is a classy place. be the classy guy...:-) they may be watching you trying to decide if they're going to offer you a membership…
  • [/ol]
    ENJOY THE GREATEST SHOW EARTH… AND EASILY THE BEST organized and RUN…

And why do we volunteer? easy: The benefit of being a volunteer is we get to come back in may and play the course… no, we don't play the tips, and the member tees make the course very short (6300 yards). but the greens are still the greens and yes, I've putted off the green...

Happy to answer any questions…. I may start another thread just to tell stories…

Lastly if youre there for a tournament round, come by and see me. I'm on 16 on the right side of the green above the bunker. I enjoy talking to Ags every year…

again - just passing info along that i hope helps. not trying to be the expert.

please add anything you think is useful for other ags going the masters....
    bagger05
    AG
    A good viewing spot is on the right side of the #14 tee (maybe -- if it's still roped off like I think it is).

For a few years they roped off this area but last year at the ANWA it was roped off like it used to be.

A couple cool things about this spot (where the white X is):
    - It's in the shade. This may be VERY important depending on the weather.
    - You get great views of people hitting into #13 green, scrambling near the creek and from the bunkers, and putting out.
    - Also it's a great vantage point to watch these guys hit driver on 14. It's something else to see it in person.
    - I was there on Sunday and in the morning the guys who weren't in contention were mostly pretty friendly and willing to exchange a few words. Later in the day those guys were all business as you'd expect. They've all gotta walk right by you if you're on the ropes.

JCA1
    AG
    Always good advice.

Maybe my memory isn't accurate, but didn't pretty much everyone lay up on 15 last year after they lengthened it? Curious if they move it back up some. As a stock, 3-shot par 5, it loses a lot of its luster.
    MAROON
    AG
    my friend works (volunteers) for CBS Sports and is on the 16th tee box all four rounds every year. He's the guy telling the booth what club they are hitting. You almost never see him on tv - except the year Tiger threw is club!

I've only had the privilege to attend a Tuesday practice round - but it was glorious. Walked the entire course, ate my weight in pimento cheese and egg salad sandwiches. Camped at 16 for the remainder of the day. I also had Thursday tickets, but right as we walked through the gate lightening hit and that day was a goner. Never saw a shot as we had to fly back to Houston that afternoon ad not even sure they played much if at all that day.
    lazuras_dc
    AG
    Quote:

Lastly if youre there for a tournament round, come by and see me. I'm on 16 on the right side of the green above the bunker. I enjoy talking to Ags every year…

Are you at a station? Standing there ? Marooned out? I'll come say hi !
    KaneIsAble
    AG
    Solid info - went last year and feel like we kind of set up camp on 11-13 too long so want to explore more this year. Went 1-5ish and then cut across for the day.

Duckhook
    AG
    I've only been once, on a Monday. I was way more interested in seeing the course than the pros, who I could catch at multiple tour stops in Texas. Have a number of great pics from the day. I did see Tiger, but didn't follow him. I know there's excitement in the air on tournament days, but seeing the course was what made the trip memorable for me. That, and the $5.50 I paid for a filling lunch!
    aggiederelict
    I have an extra practice round ticket (Monday) for sale if anyone is still interested in buying. You can email me at ben@axiompt.com for more info.
    Saucerito
    AG
    Boo,

I see you recommended the right side stands on 15 to see both 15 and 16. Would you need to sit on the far right side of these to see 16 green?

I've also seen the left side stands as being really good for seeing 15 and 16. From the pictures I've seen, it looks like the left side stands would provide a better angle to see both holes but they're further away from 16 green. Thoughts?

The link below talks about the left side stands (not sure how to post the image).

https://www.si.com/golf/news/the-best-spot-at-augusta-national-to-watch-a-ton-of-shots-might-surprise-you
    aggiedadofpanda
    AG
    My favorite thread on the golf forum every year. Thanks booradley! Annual reminder that if you ever get tired of volunteering, I'm your huckleberry.
    aginlakeway
    TecRecAg
    AG
    Not going this year but this post puts me in a good mood as it means we aren't too far away from Augusta. Can't wait.
    Matsui
    AG
    good bull
    RogerFurlong
    I read every word of this every year and then get to the end and realize I'm not going. Sad day.
    mosesrab90
    AG
    Great quiet spot is back of 11 tee. Right up next to players hitting bombs while most patrons are making the trek down to Amen Corner.
    JarAG2007
    AG
    I was selected for Wednesday and paid immediately. It says tickets/badges would be sent in March, but I haven't received them by mail yet. I am starting to get nervous with it getting closer by the day.

Has everyone received theirs already, or should i be worried???
    aginlakeway
    AG
    JarAG2007 said:

I was selected for Wednesday and paid immediately. It says tickets/badges would be sent in March, but I haven't received them by mail yet. I am starting to get nervous with it getting closer by the day.

Going out "this week" per ANGC.
    "I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
    bagger05
    AG
    JarAG2007 said:

I never got my tickets for the ANWA last year. I called before I left town and they put a pair at will call for me (I assume they voided the ones they mailed me).

I'd check in with them the week before the tournament if they haven't shown up.
    Ag_07
    AG
    I'm in the exact same boat with Wed tickets.

I was just about to ask the exact same question.
    Marauder Blue 6
    AG
    Tiger officially in the field.
    bagger05
    AG
    Three weeks out, kids. I am so damn excited.

And I'm not even going.
    lazuras_dc
    AG
    I almost forgot we had this running list of who was going when incase anyone wanted to hookup

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1n6NFNVqYmmR8N3fUVydn05aiY5H5vyxPdMZZ5_d7-is/edit#gid=0
    aginlakeway
    AG
    Got email. Tickets shipped.
    "I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
    aggiederelict
    Just got the email. The tickets have shipped.
    98Ag99Grad
    AG
    Same here on the email.
    JarAG2007
    AG
    Just got an email for tracking tickets! Check your emails gentlemen. Whoop!
    TexasAGGIEinAR
    I'll take all of this advice if my name is ever drawn in the lottery! Nothing but PAIN for the last 15 years.
    Hogs suck, Horns suck, everyone else I can deal with.
    cab559
    AG
    Someone gave me their weekend tickets. First trip! So pumped. Have everything organized except a place to stay on Fri and Saturday. Price isn't an option for the most part so will figure it out unless others have a suggestion. For now, was thinking a VRBO just north of AGNC.
    Ag_07
    AG
    When you say Main Gate and Back Gate I'm assuming that's the same as North Gate and South Gate?

North and South are the only ones they show on the parking map so I just wanna make sure my assumption is right.
    Ezra Brooks
    AG
    aginlakeway said:

JarAG2007 said:

Going out "this week" per ANGC.
    UPS is an official sponsor - they're on it.
    JCA1
    AG
    cab559 said:

Someone gave me their weekend tickets. First trip! So pumped. Have everything organized except a place to stay on Fri and Saturday. Price isn't an option for the most part so will figure it out unless others have a suggestion. For now, was thinking a VRBO just north of AGNC.

If you could make arrangements to introduce me to your friends that give away Masters tickets, I would appreciate it.
    aginlakeway
    AG
    JCA1 said:

cab559 said:

If you could make arrangements to introduce me to your friends that give away Masters tickets, I would appreciate it.

There are people like that.

I've given away a few over the years. And I've gotten a few for free over the years. And I usually hand off my badge when I leave so someone else can use the second entry.
    CashinOut
    AG
    Would still do 4 chair backs for a Wednesday Masters ticket. I have an extra Wednesday badge on the way.
    Poot
    Nice cab. You ever been?

I've been once and it's amazing. I describe it as golf church.
    aginlakeway
    AG
    Marauder Blue 6 said:

Tiger officially in the field.

I'm not sure this is 100% accurate. Tiger usually announces when/if he's going to play in an event. That's how he's handled it the last few Masters.

I think this is ANGC just saying he's in the field. But I don't think this means he's officially playing. I doubt we know that either way until right before the tournament.

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.