1836 Texas Kitchen

179,216 Views | 1210 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by J_Landes89
Stive
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep. That prompted my smart-a** comment.

Enjoy the trip and hope you guys get what you went for!
Dro07
AG
Damn didn't know about taco C. What that place needs a good damn sports bar!
RockOn
The best tacos are at la panaderia Nuevo Leon
AGC
AG
dromo07 said:

Damn didn't know about taco C. What that place needs a good damn sports bar!

That's exactly what the discount shops at Cumberland need...
suprafly03
AG
Drew Brees has a place coming in behind Bahama Bucks/Salsaritas...

We will see how it goes.
Stive
AG
suprafly03 said:

Drew Brees has a place coming in behind Bahama Bucks/Salsaritas...

We will see how it goes.

What kind of place?
easttexasaggie04
AG
Walk Ons. There's one in Shreveport also.
AGC
AG
AGC said:

RockOn said:

In and Out will do just fine for a while. But Five Guys and Burger Grind might want to pack it up bc of in and out.

Five guys has lee. Burger grind I imagine will have less luck.

In n out may help DQ if people hate waiting in line and want to go next door.

Well I had lunch at Five Guys on Monday. Place was almost empty with fewer tables inside than I remember. I'm afraid I could be dead ass wrong about it staying open.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Any idea how Grub is doing? Have only gone when I've been back in town to visit family.
Dro07
AG
Same as before. Terrible location alright burgers. Not really packed any times I have gone.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Honest question, what makes it a terrible location? just because if coming from the south have to do a u-turn at the light or what?

I've always enjoyed their burgers especially the turkey one, but there are definitely a lot of burger options in Tyler.
Dro07
AG
Look at what you have in those corners for one. All destinations. Car wash place/ oil place/ empty gas station-cleaners (two failed Korean restaurants behind it).

Site analysis wise the drive way is too close to grande and no entrance off of grande because of the power station. One entrance usually means if you miss it your just say eff it and go to the next place unless you know there is a cut through from clear springs.

It's tucked away on the south of the building and really don't have "walk up sales" because you see it and it's too late. I would have put the restaurant on the north side but again the location of the power station doesn't let you do that.

You have people that want to go there so they will circle the blocks but you have to get sales on wall up. I drive down broadway to head home everyday from work and are bombarded by restaurants that you can see but because grub is on the back side for me I see it and it's too late because I am already by the salsaritas/Bahamas's bucks. (Side note: it's a dang nitemare sometimes to get out of anything from grande to wallyworld/target so you are already on the inside or middle lane if you are coming down hells road)

All to say it's a destination so if you want grub burger you will go to it but your "walk up" sales hurt because of the location. How long have they been trying to lease out the top floor and no bites? It's a good looking building I think but had the location been better they would have capitalized more with Grub being the anchor on the north of the building with the patio getting curb appeal.

Sorry for the long response but it's part of my job to do site analysis. Damn now I am craving a Lockhart legend.

Dro07
AG
Not sure if this would be part of deadpool but Chez Bazan Is closing its doors. Says they want to get out of the "kitchen" so they decided to close. Been going strong for 32 years... guess they want to do something else.
Stive
AG
Just read that a few minutes ago. I wouldn't have picked them in my pool.

Wonder if they're tired or if business is hurting? I don't ever see anyone there when I drive by.

Dro07
AG
it's probably a mixture of both if I had to guess. Nice family and the mom is funny as heck. Wish them the best of luck in whatever they decide to do.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Never eaten there but heard good things, sucks I wont get to try it.
Stive
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

Never eaten there but heard good things, sucks I wont get to try it.
It's open until June.
There's a whole lot of stupid that college can't fix. -My Grandfather
pantherag
AG
Chez is still doing very well. The daughters husband took a real good jod in Idaho and they're moving to Idaho this summer. The mom, Gracie, is 70 and it's her time to retire. They're are several offers to buy the building and continue a few different ideas of restaurants in the location. However, they will not sell the name. If not for her husband being offered a very good opportunity out of state, the Chez would still be going strong. There will be a big void in town for the cake and bakery business.
AGC
AG
Anyone have freebirds in the deadpool?
Stive
AG
Are they gone?
Dro07
AG
They done?
AggieGunslinger
AG
?
AGC
AG
Nope. Just thinking I might toss my chip on it. Don't see a lot of traffic there anymore and salsaritas is now down the street.
Dro07
AG
Looks like the cinergy place fell through cuz they wanted to do movie but wasn't feasible with it being so close to SMG
suprafly03
AG
Man, one of those entertainment places would print money in tyler. Seems weird they all keep falling through.
AGC
AG
It's not weird, really. Not all of them have been 'big' companies so you need guarantees and strength behind the credit which makes it hard for financing if people don't want to do that. Conversely if you've already got a movie venue in the development there are probably restrictions.
AGC
AG
Whoever had What About Kabob in the deadpool wins.
Dro07
AG
AGC said:

I don't think anyone did did they?
Josepi
AG
AGC said:

It's gone? I really liked that place.
Dro07
AG
YUP

http://www.tylerpaper.com/TP-News+Local/282416/what-about-kabob-has-closed
suprafly03
AG
My credit is over 800.

Can I open one of those things? I'm ready to be rich!
Stive
AG
Someone had mentioned it earlier in the thread that it was in trouble.
AGC
AG
Stive said:

Someone had mentioned it earlier in the thread that it was in trouble.

Nah - RockOn picked the other Kabob place!

And apparently dromo picked Freebirds, but called it after Chipotle.
AGC
AG
I did too, but my pockets started bulging when I was eating there multiple times a week. It's probably my fault for cutting back.
Josepi
AG
Went to the soft opening for Wienerland last night (not sure when the official opening is). Here is a pic of the new menu. Had the Morning Glory, and it was fairly delicious

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.