1836 Texas Kitchen

179,264 Views | 1210 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by J_Landes89
J_Landes89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not sure!
AGC
AG
I can't respond with a straight face to someone named Jizzle.
AsburyAg
AG
Last week my son and I were driving by Kohl's and saw a large white tent out in front near the road and it looked to be hiding construction. We figured it was either a bank, a doughnut, shop, a church or a nail salon. Personally I was hoping for a either new Mexican, hamburger, pizza, or sushi joint. We don't have enough of those yet.

But now - maybe it's Lola's. That'd be good, too.
J_Landes89
Dro07
AG
Looks like The Catch left their broadway location because it was doing bad and now is going to the old Fish City place next to Cantina laredo... Bold move... lets see if it pays off.

Still miss fish city
Stive
AG
I'm praying to the restaraunt gods that Original Pancake House makes it! I can walk to it and there's not another breakfast place on OJ.
Dro07
AG
Original pancake house? ... what is this?
Stive
AG
dromo07 said:

Original pancake house? ... what is this?

You've never been to an OPH?

And it's coming to Tyler. Opens next week in the Swanns Parking lot where that old piano bar was for a while.
Josepi
AG
Stive said:

I'm praying to the restaraunt gods

You might want to pray to someone/something else. The restaurant Gods have clearly foresaken Tyler.
Stive
AG
Touche
AGC
AG
Josepi said:

Stive said:

I'm praying to the restaraunt gods

You might want to pray to someone/something else. The restaurant Gods have clearly foresaken Tyler.

Maybe the Chinese billionaire and his immigrant investors instead. Imagine the quality of Asian restaurants here if they come.
Stive
AG
Who?
Dro07
AG
Mr Tan do what you want!
J_Landes89
AG
Lola's for sure coming back is great news, excited about The Catch to OJ.. goes from 20 mins to 20 secs away.
AGC
AG
Stive said:

Who?

Chinese investor has land by the cascades under contract and has presented four plans to the city council for approval. Tabled for next month though. He's thinking 6,000 roofs.
Stive
AG
6,000?!?! Over what time period?
J_Landes89
AG
Think it was 5 years?
J_Landes89
AG
https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/chinese-businessman-envisions-billion-project-in-tyler/article_ef4b2c58-0c40-11e8-ab30-ff7bdcd3c6a7.html
AGC
AG
Jizzle89 said:

Think it was 5 years?

It'll take at least that. City wants him to do infrastructure and improvements first before building, which may be a sticking point. He's also talking about visas and brining other Chinese over to live there. They've made presentations to a bunch of schools about taking students but the privates and TISD aren't rumored to be receptive. Innovation Academy is the most interested so far because of their capacity.
Stive
AG
Granted I'm not in the construction or real estate industry, but is there that kind of housing demand right now in Smith county? Or is there that kind of projected demand over the next decade? That seems REALLY ambitious.
Dro07
AG
AS is receptive as long as they get some new buildings. It will fall through if he doesn't get the private schools involved. He isn't going to go with public schools this is only a student exchange where one of the parents comes with a child while they go to school. They are trying to partner with UTtyler as well. I think I have already said to much
Josepi
AG
Tyler ISD can take the 2,000 Chinese kids, disperse them as needed in under performing schools...Whala! Test scores through the roof!
J_Landes89
AG
Actually, TISD will not be able to take ANY students with their visas.. district is not on the approved list via Homeland Security.
AGC
AG
dromo07 said:

AS is receptive as long as they get some new buildings. It will fall through if he doesn't get the private schools involved. He isn't going to go with public schools this is only a student exchange where one of the parents comes with a child while they go to school. They are trying to partner with UTtyler as well. I think I have already said to much

That's not what I heard. AS is not receptive and to even think about it would limit it to likely 5% or less of student body (so, what, 40ish? at most and would be concerned about integration). Obviously Grace would have some covenant issues, BH already has a boarding program and integration issues with Asians specifically, and jizzle discussed TISD. That's why Innovation Academy makes then most sense - capacity and admissions.
Dro07
AG
Well crap I have old news!
Stive
AG
Rehearsal dinner last night at Coyote Sam's for a wedding we're in tonight. That's my first time there so maybe I'm off, but how in the world does it stay open? Huge lunch crowd?

Other than our group there were only about 3 couples sitting in the bar area and another smaller group gathering down at the other end (maybe 15-20 people)...and this was on a Friday night.

Dro07
AG
*cough* money laundering*cough*

Jk no idea I have gone there like twice in the 20 years that thing has been open. I have heard the lunch crowd is big but never been by there during that time so can't vouch
Stive
AG
Wait, who owns it? Maybe your answer isn't that far off.
Josepi
AG
We've been there twice in the last ten years, and that place is a ghost town. Never more than 3 or 4 tables of people. I've heard the bar is crowded during happy hour but can't confirm.
UncleDave
The construction in front of Kohl's is Freddy's Frozen Custard and Steakburgers - per Tylerpaper.com
Dro07
AG
well thats disappointing
easttexasaggie04
AG
Family and I ate at 1836 Texas Kitchen over the weekend while in Tyler for a zoo trip. It was very good. Where else in Tyler should we try? We come to Tyler about 3 or 4 times per year from Marshall.
AGC
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

Family and I ate at 1836 Texas Kitchen over the weekend while in Tyler for a zoo trip. It was very good. Where else in Tyler should we try? We come to Tyler about 3 or 4 times per year from Marshall.

I went Thursday. Unless they have a good weekend crowd I think it'll die. Only three other tables taken in there, and one guy who left the bar shortly before we arrived (he's been mentioned in threads here that have resulted in some post deletions and edits, ironically).

Hostess said she thought they had happy hour specials when we called, waiter had no clue they did, and then when he got us the happy hour menu didn't know what drinks were and weren't covered (so we got billed full price).
Dro07
AG

Quote:

Only three other tables taken in there, and one guy who left the bar shortly before we arrived (he's been mentioned in threads here that have resulted in some post deletions and edits, ironically).
Wait what did i miss?
AGC
AG
dromo07 said:

Quote:

Only three other tables taken in there, and one guy who left the bar shortly before we arrived (he's been mentioned in threads here that have resulted in some post deletions and edits, ironically).
Wait what did i miss?

Nothing new. I'm sure you saw the real estate thread with rook posters crying about slander in regards to a local businessman.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.