1836 Texas Kitchen

179,261 Views | 1210 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by J_Landes89
J_Landes89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was rooting for the people that re-opened it since they are friends.. but, yeah.. not shocked ...

Time for a new staple there for TJC kids.. another Chipotle or something quick?

IHOP
Post removed:
by user
Stive
AG
Been here 9 years and never ate there (Weinerland).
Dro07
AG
You missed out on the original that's for sure.
RockOn
Pie 5 Pizza closed. Never ate there. Guess it wasn't good
Dro07
AG
Same here and I have only gone once to Potbellys
Mike92
AG
We only ate there a few times. It seems like every time we went, even during slow times, the tables were filthy. Also, there was almost no parking.
Stive
AG
Stive said:

Not sure about Jakes.

I'll add an ambiguous place(s) to the deadpool. There are now WAY too many pizza places in south Tyler. There are two new ones going in within a few hundred yards of each other on Broadway (Pie Five next to the new Potbelly and the one in the new building just north of Cheddars).

So between those two, Rounders, Old Chicago, Rotolos, the place in the strip that has The Diner, etc., sombodies going down.

I just keep on keepin' on.
Dro07
AG
It's funny cuz I drive past all those places to eat at NY pizza and don't give those places a second throught. You forgot Bruno's is close to that area too
Stive
AG
Bruno's isn't going anywhere for a while. Of all the pizza places in Tyler, I'd say the might be the safest.

Speaking of: how does Ken's (is that the name of the place next to Five Guys?) stay in business? Kind of like Fridays, I don't know of anyone that eats there, have never eaten there myself, and it never even crosses my mind.
Dro07
AG
Fat people and school field trips.
RockOn
To be a successful restaurant in tyler you need to have the crappiest, most mainstream food, cheap ingredients, and a low overhead.

You might get a lot of initial buzz at having a novelty item, but Tyler always revert back to their basics.
Dro07
AG
Freddy's is over priced and trash. Only thing I liked there were the cheese curds. May give them one more chance if I am starving and don't want to drive too far
Stive
AG
Are you talking about the sandwiches or all of it? I tried a frozen custard at the location across from Buckees in Terrell one time and I don't remember it being too bad. Nothing to scream about but not terrible. Dot think I got anything else that time.
Dro07
AG
Sorry I was talking about the burgers. They were terrible, I don't know if it was just an off night or something but man that was not good.
AGC
AG
dromo07 said:

Sorry I was talking about the burgers. They were terrible, I don't know if it was just an off night or something but man that was not good.

They weren't terrible when I went but I don't really see what makes them different and I won't drive past grub, twisted root, or anyone else to get them.
AggieGunslinger
AG
The sign out front is the only thing different, in Tyler that is usually enough to give you a good 2 or 3 years of solid business.
AGC
AG
AsburyAg said:

Old Chicago Pizza at the Loop & S. Broadway. They have some pretty good specials - buy one/get one pizza, free appetizers, etc. - if you get on their email coupon list.

Mama's - a hole in the wall across from TJC..

Burger Grind down the Old J'ville Hwy. Get the Missing Link. Some like Jucys better. Either one is a pretty good hamburger.

Pie Five Pizza in front of the Target on S. Broadway. This is good if you have kids. You can each get a pizza made to your specific order.

Keeping my eye on this poster. His recs don't seem to do too well.
Stive
AG
If he jinx's Mama's he deserves a throat punch.
Dro07
AG
Mamas move or did they open a new spot on broadway?
gigemhilo
AG
What do you guys think of Sushi Guy over on University. The original is in Mt Pleasant (where I live). I eat there all the time, but its literally the only sushi place we have. just wondering what Tylerites are thinking about it.
Stive
AG
I haven't had it (up there or down here).
Post removed:
by user
Dro07
AG
haven't been. Its on the other side of town with more options closer to me.
RockOn
If it's south of 5th St, I'm not sure if I even bother anymore.
J_Landes89
AG
Cheesecake factory to tgi fridays location...

Top golf by loop 49 and shopping center somehwere

And a nordstrom rack to fill the macy's.

Just heresay! But passing along
Post removed:
by user
Dumpster Fire
I grew up ON 5th street.

#mindblown
RockOn
Speaking of South of fifth, the Seafood Shack closed. Not sure if recently or I just wasn't paying attention
Dro07
AG
Seafood shack? Oh was that in the Restaurant abyss of steinmart shopping center?
Stive
AG
dromo07 said:

Seafood shack? Oh was that in the abyss of steinmart shopping center?

FIFY
J_Landes89
AG
Been in Tyler 24 years, just had my second trip to Steinmart last week, they have GREAT stuff at great prices, I've over paid thousands for clothes, not again!
RockOn
Shout out to The Rack (rip 2013) that place had so much potential. The space has been empty ever since.
AGC
AG
Jizzle89 said:

Been in Tyler 24 years, just had my second trip to Steinmart last week, they have GREAT stuff at great prices, I've over paid thousands for clothes, not again!

This reads like a humblebrag gone wrong. Or an infomercial. I still can't decide.
J_Landes89
AG
Lol.. take how you want it, just trying to brag on steinmart while sharing my embarrassment at havin g wasted tons of money elsewhere

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.