Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

If t.u. wanted in SEC, how would you vote?

19,733 Views | 262 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by aggiesnake
Brazos Ag 1970
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Dodds moving into bed with slive on this Champion Bowl is the beginning of slive making a strategic attack on t.u.
Could be, bamaoldtimer. Clemson and GA Tech used to be better than SCar and UGA. Wouldn't it be a nice feather in the SEC's cap if A&M, after joining, surpassed the sips?

BOO-**CKIN'-YEAH!
Brazos Ag 1970
AG
quote:
Mirth,

Please don't feel bad for ripping on me. I am not sure what you mean by the "way" I am
Mirth, I have no problem with you, but you're pretty new to me, and I'm admittedly a newbie myself....I have read A LOT from Lateralus since I joined on Dec. 5, and he's one of my favorite posters because he's smart and produces cogent comments. There is no jackass in his commentary, nor do I see any in yours. However, if you belittle the guy, I gotta stand up for my peeps.
Brazos Ag 1970
AG
quote:
i'd punch them in the face for even asking.
LMFAO
Brazos Ag 1970
AG
quote:
Why wouldn't y'all want them? They're the wealthiest team in the nation and very beatable! Not to mention the foothold they'd give us in Texas!
Look at their revenue, lsuforlife. They're beatable because Mack isn't as good a coach as Petersen, Patterson, Gundy, Stoops, Petrino, Meyer or Saban. They've got the revenue to get anybody who wants to make more money than they're making right now, and keep their facilities top freaking notch.

Let's see what happens over the next several years with TV viewership in Texas. I know there's a big LSU-A&M hate fest, but we actually, really do bring a lot of TVs to the SEC, and the population of our state is blowing up, perhaps to 30 mil. by 2020. Getting NC State and VTech would almost assuredly give you more 'bang for your buck' long term, and these decisions can last a very, VERY long time.
Brazos Ag 1970
AG
quote:
I would tell them to eat a big hairy dick
I am loving these responses!
RAB83
AG
quote:
You know who else has a huge profile? Notre Dame... and they flat out suck now.

And not just on the football field... in the locker room... showers... coach's office...
RAB83
AG
What everyone is ignoring is the sip snobbery. The sips would never allow themselves to be associated with a conference they consider academically inferior. That's why they made a play for the PAC. Their admin wants to hobnob with the admin from Stanford and Berkeley, not Alabama and Auburn. They also see the B1G acceptable because of all of the AAU schools and research money.

You can't look at this from a pure athletics or financial perspective. The sips won't. They consider the SEC to be full of redneck, hillbilly, hayseed, white trash, backwards hicks, which is pretty much how they've always characterized Aggies. To the sips, the SEC would rank below the PAC, B1G, and ACC.

Of course, sip arrogance being what it is, the sips figure the only thing needed to make an outstanding athletic conference is their presence, which is why they've considered going indy. That truly is the only way for them to have a conference where their peers are worthy.
Cannonball Craig III
AG
"the sips figure the only thing needed to make an outstanding athletic conference is their presence".

Rab83 has a wonderful way of expressing things.

[This message has been edited by Cannonball Craig III (edited 6/4/2012 11:35a).]
GAMECOCKS_FTW
All you voting "No" can't be that ignorant. UT is a top 5 player in the college football world and world-class academically. TAMU would not have the clout to keep them out. They are the money-leader in college sports. They have nation-wide TV appeal. They have been one of the most successful programs over the past 12 years. And they appear to be rebounding. If the SEC thought they could get UT, they would. And the talk about UT being scared to go to the SEC is just dumb. They make those kinds of decisions from a pretty powerful position and they make them based on what's best for their program and university. This thread is just another attempt at to cover your own feelings of inferiority. The fact that you still have to refer to them as t.u. is enough evidence of that...Like an annoying little brother. Grow up for Christ's sake. Get comfortable with who you are

No offense I know every things bigger in Texas. However, you may be believing in press a little too much. While UT is a big time program in the college football world they haven't been relevant in some time. Moreover, while some may laugh and call me ignorant the other UT or Bama is more of a traditional power house in football and to most coaches is a more preferable job than Texas.
monarch
S
Told you earlier, no...
monarch
S
Hey Cockyhead:

tu is despised and basically hated in the big whatever. The only thing anybody wants from them is coin. Dont think so? Ask why four schools have left the big12- because of them. Believe me, TAMU doesnt need anything from them.

AA
THEH1Raider-98
AG
Cocklover does not have a clue.
AginKS
wait... was cocks first paragraph a quote? because his 2nd paragraph doesn't comport with the 1st.

but just to be safe: gamecockftw; until you've experienced 100+ years of sips, none of our brothers in the SEC has a right to tell us how to feel about them.
Bockaneer
AG
quote:
wait... was cocks first paragraph a quote? because his 2nd paragraph doesn't comport with the 1st.

but just to be safe: gamecockftw; until you've experienced 100+ years of sips, none of our brothers in the SEC has a right to tell us how to feel about them.

Yep- gcftw was quoting psychotiger from the previous page and then rambling on about believing your own press clippings... A little unclear with his post format but definitely pro-SEC
agdad70_03
AG
No way!
cc10106
Gamecocks_FTW sure likes to preach/troll(?) to the newest SEC member about growing up and being a little brother, probably because he/she knows all too well how it feels compared to Clemson. Would you care if the SEC wanted to add them. What about Florida? Would you call them out for voting no to FSU? Probably not, hypocrite.

The biggest point you're missing in all this is A&M made the move to the SEC because they ARE comfortable and believe in the potential of a move with time. It's like a polar opposite of what the horns have shown. Hell, they've wanted to go Pac and ACC plus keep their fledgling conference to 10 members, that is unless Notre Dame came calling. I get it, they have power, money, more t-shirt fans than anyone (right now), blah blah, but they can make power moves and what's in their best interests but A&M can't? All the horns really have on A&M at this point is the Austin market. Plain and simple.
psychotiger
quote:
No offense I know every things bigger in Texas. However, you may be believing in press a little too much. While UT is a big time program in the college football world they haven't been relevant in some time. Moreover, while some may laugh and call me ignorant the other UT or Bama is more of a traditional power house in football and to most coaches is a more preferable job than Texas.

Press clippings? We don't need no stinkin' press clippings. Cock, no offense taken. I do think you are way off on your facts. To say UT has not been relevant for some time is just not true unless you mean the last two years. They are tied with LSU for 3rd most wins since 2000. OU is 2nd. If you are wondering, South Carolina is tied for 37th (with Pitt, KSU, Missouri, Oregon State) while TAMU is tied for 51st (with Nevada-Reno & Marshall). UT has played for two MNCs in the past 8 years and won one. You can't see UT as irrelevant. And UTenn being a more sought after coaching job than UTexas? No, not even close in $$$, recruiting ease, strength of schedule (SEC is brutal), etc. UTenn may be a more traditional powerhouse to you because you are in SC but not nationally. My point is still valid. If the SEC could get Texas they would. It would wrap up the South. Add OU and would there even be a need for any other conferences? That line-up would account for 7 of the last 7 MNCs and 9 of the past 12. Anyway, cya Oct. 20th. I will try to stay off the grass.

Outboard personnel, Stand Up!
cc10106
It's funny how fans of teams get a great coach and all of a sudden assume they will be on their perch for evermore. Once the Cocks lost Spurrier, look out. The only team that hasn't missed a beat in the last decade after losing a great coach is LSU. We'll see what the Buckeyes can do under Urban.
dmart90
AG
IF they asked to join the SEC, I think I would tell them to take a long walk off a short pier somewhere in the now dry portion of lake Travis. After they had been punched in the face by the poser that suggested that approach.

[This message has been edited by dmart90 (edited 6/5/2012 11:09a).]
ntxVol
Ugh, this thread is getting hard to follow. The SEC can have 3 tigers but only one UT!
SA Ag
Niet!
McInnis80
Everything else being equal, would the SEC like to have The University of Texas as a member? Heck yes. Lots of fans, Huge market and a very good (but not great) school.

BUT......

1. I doubt that A&M would have a veto, but there would be some long conversations with Mizzou, Arkansas and A&M about how the Horns are in a relationship. Dodds does not work and play well with others.

2. Longhorn Network would be a non starter, especially with a new SEC Network. Dodds is not willing to give up on his baby and this could be a very expensive divorce.

3. The "Tech problem". The SEC would like Texas, but do they want little brothers Tech, Baylor and TCU? I don't think so. These schools bring very few additional eyeballs to the SEC. Baylor's hissy fit when A&M wanted to leave the Big XII will be minor compared to the fight if UT were to leave Tech, Baylor and TCU without a home. Perry is looking for a fight with Bill Powers and this would be great opportunity.

4. Academics. UT considers itself an elite school and looks down on most of the SEC schools. I don't know if they could handle following A&M into the SEC. UT is clearly superior to many SEC schools, but Mizzou, Vandy, UF, and A&M are AAU members. There are only three AAU schools in the Big 12 after Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri and A&M left the conference.

[This message has been edited by McInnis80 (edited 6/5/2012 12:14p).]
Brazos Ag 1970
AG
quote:
All you voting "No" can't be that ignorant.
You're right. We're not.

quote:
UT is a top 5 player in the college football world and world-class academically.
We're talking about Texas, not Tennessee, dude.

quote:
TAMU would not have the clout to keep them out.
True.

quote:
They are the money-leader in college sports.
True.

quote:
They have nation-wide TV appeal.
I don't believe this is true. They have a recognizable name and past success. I don't think they'd pull too many more national viewers than the top 6-8 teams in the SEC in 'whatever' bowl game.

quote:
They have been one of the most successful programs over the past 12 years. And they appear to be rebounding.
Yes.

quote:
If the SEC thought they could get UT, they would.
What? Why? How did you make that leap? (see below)

quote:
And the talk about UT being scared to go to the SEC is just dumb. They make those kinds of decisions from a pretty powerful position and they make them based on what's best for their program and university.
Exactly right.

quote:
This thread is just another attempt at to cover your own feelings of inferiority.
Off the tracks on this one. We're not inferior to t.u. They're better than we are right now in some things, not in others. Do not confuse 'Their football program is better than ours right now,' with 'We're inferior to them.'

quote:
The fact that you still have to refer to them as t.u. is enough evidence of that...
Um, you're so off-base here. References: Bamer, Barner, Clempson, Gumps, a g g y, tard, Baylol, Gaylor, Swamp Kitties, uggies, L$U, F$U, Poles, Cornholers, B**chigan, Blow U, BY-Blew, etc....um, these are things that fans do to enhance rivalries...we don't call the sips "t.u." because we 'have to,' we do it because we're friggin' Texas Aggies, kitty. I understand that you don't "get A&M," and that's okay. I don't "get LSU," but I'm not going to start criticizing and belittling your traditions because we're different. Ignorant.

quote:
Like an annoying little brother. Grow up for Christ's sake.
Wait for it...
quote:
Like an annoying little troll. I need to grow up for Christ's sake.
FIFY

quote:
Get comfortable with who you are.
Yeah, College Station on Game Day should be on your very shortest 'to do list.'

EDIT: The question is this: Who brings more to the SEC long-term? t.u., OU, NC State, VTech, Maryland, Clemson, FSU, Kansas, etc. Accepting t.u. will quite likely not give the SEC as much increased revene - as a conference - as opposed to moving into North Carolina and Virginia. The SEC would most likely increase in economic strength, over the long haul, by not inviting the sips. They might bring, what, 2.4 million more viewers in Texas? Why not go for 9.7 million more in North Carolina, or 8 million more in Virginia? Not adding the sips makes more sense, and cents.

[This message has been edited by billkemp (edited 6/5/2012 12:41p).]
Bamatab
quote:
The sips would never allow themselves to be associated with a conference they consider academically inferior.

The sips do realize that they are currently in the Big 12...right???
TexasGreat28
Why would you guys vote no? You'd lose your only recruiting angle?
Lateralus Ag
AG
quote:
Mirth, I have no problem with you, but you're pretty new to me, and I'm admittedly a newbie myself....I have read A LOT from Lateralus since I joined on Dec. 5, and he's one of my favorite posters because he's smart and produces cogent comments. There is no jackass in his commentary, nor do I see any in yours. However, if you belittle the guy, I gotta stand up for my peeps.

Thanks Bill. Whenever you're in the neighborhood let me know. Beer(s) on me.
Brazos Ag 1970
AG
quote:
The sips do realize that they are currently in the Big 12...right???
RAOTFLMFAO! How mad are the sips gonna be when the entire Southeastern United States starts calling them sips and t.u.? Good post in general, too, Bamatab.
Brazos Ag 1970
AG
quote:
Why would you guys vote no? You'd lose your only recruiting angle?
Hhhhhhhh...eh em. (Arrogance just seeps from the sips.)

Only recruiting angle? How much do you know about recruiting? What are the two most important elements in recruiting - in the main - according to almost every "expert" on the net or TV? What are the 2ndary factors, that are also important?

We want to make more money than you, TexasGreat28, because we want to have more power in hiring coaches, recruiting budget, facility upgrades, renovations and enhancements, band travel budget, amenities for our fans in attendance (luxury suite catering, etc.)....we want to be the best. The absolute best. Many Longhorns over time - hopefully not yourself - have misidentified our desire to kick ass with being "delusional" or "unrealistic" (thank you, Beano Cook). To be the best, we need to out-earn everybody, and that includes you.
rocky the dog
AG
Brazos Ag 1970
AG
Don't want to presume this, rocky....Looks like you're saying that we won't ever outearn the sips, so you don't like the idea of even trying. Please tell me that's not your intent.
Seidag90
Uh, let me see.............Negative, ghost rider, the pattern is full!!
Brazos Ag 1970
AG
LOL!
rocky the dog
AG
bill, I'm sayin' "That'll Be the Day" they join
the SEC!
rocky the dog
AG
I'm just voting the thread and padding my posts!
bamabama97
Would definitely vote a yes on that one. We need all the money we can get to carry loser programs like usl.

Roll Tide Roll! Crimson flows through these veins!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.