***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

726,709 Views | 15762 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by GigEM96
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So the one person we all would expect to be worse than Abreu
TarponChaser
Mr.Bond said:

Can we trade Abreu back to Chicago and put Maldy at first? More production on offense and can't be much worse in the field.
MaxPower
Doesn't surprise me he is walking guys as little as he's thrown the last couple years. He will likely take more time to develop but really high ceiling.
W
AG
3 Toed Pete said:

Then the "scandal" happens (and I question how much did Luhnow know about it) and Luhnow is gone. Did baseball order Crane to fire him, did Crane lose faith in him, or maybe Crane thought his front office was a bunch of arrogant aholes and let him go. We'll probably never know. And now they seem to have undone everything the Luhnow crew had put together right at the time their roster is really aging.

When you don't know what really happened it's hard to say what they should have done (I think they should have kept Luhnow) but either way they really departed from the approach that got them to the top. And God only knows what that ******** Manfred was telling Crane he should or had to do.

oh, I think we already know based upon watching Manfred operate for the past several years

he won't touch the players or the owners

but he drops the hammer on managers and GM's -- in part because they don't have a union to represent them

they are an easy target. Hinch and Luhnow were the designated scapegoats / sacrificial lambs
Farmer1906
AG
That's great news.
CFTXAG10
AG
Abreu for Maldonado straight up! Who says no
EastCoastAgNc
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Abreu for Maldonado straight up! Who says no
I'm pretty sure that somehow violates the geneva conventions
CFTXAG10
AG
But think of the money we'll save
Farmer1906
AG

Mr.Bond
AG
Farmer1906 said:

English
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

The Porkchop Express
Mr.Bond said:

Farmer1906 said:

English
Long season good.
Playoffs good.
Bregman big contract good.
Fire bad!
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
The Porkchop Express
I'm going to do the thing that I do when there's not a game and I've ben working all day and I'm not that excited about our chances right now - some record update checks.

Astros only
Position Player WAR: Altuve is 4th at 50.9 to enter the season. Jose Cruz is third at 51.4.

Career batting average: Jose is at .308, 2nd all-time, Yordan is up to 7th at .295, with Berkman (.296), Watson (.297) and Bags (.297) all in immediate reach.

Slugging: Yordan is tied with Moises ALou for #1 all-time at .585. Tucker is 5th at .507

On-Base: Yordan is 4th at .389, only guys ahead of him are Berkman, Bagwell, Alou

Games played: Altuve is 4th at 1688. He's less than 200 behind Cheo (1870) so a healthy 2024 gets him there in 2025.

Runs: Altuve is 3rd at 1077, but Bagwell as 15717. Bregman has entered the top 10 with 617, should pass Watson (640) and Puhl (676) this year.

Hits; Altuve is at 2078, he's about 240 behind Bagwell for second

Total Bases: Atuve is 3rd at 3,190 but he's mroe than 1,000 behind Bagwell. Bregman has made it to #10 an dis 117 behind Terry Puhl for 9th.

Doubles; Altuve is third with 408. Bagwell is 80 ahead of him. Biggio will never be caught. Bregman is 8th at 240 and will tie Bob Watson for7th on his next one.

Homers; Altuve is 5th at 214. Jim Wynn is 4th at 223. Bregman is up to 8th at 165. His next one will tie Glenn Davis and he's only 9 behind Springer after that.

RBI: Altuve is 7th at 754. He'll catch Cesar Cedeno (778) and Waton (782) this year. Bregman is 10th at 592, 8 behind Doug Rader for 9th.

Walks: Altuve is 8th and Bregman 9th at 563 and 540. Both should pass Bill Doran (585) this year.

WAR for pitchers: JV is at 22.6 good for 7th and could move up a lot this year. Niekro is at 23.1, Scotty at 24.8, Nolan 25.4 and Don Wilson 27.5.

ERA: JV is #1 at 2.36. Clements second at 2.40.

Winning : JV is #1 at .756. Framber is tied for 6th at .609 and LMJ is 8th at .605.

Saves: Pressly is 4th at 107, but probably won't get many more (I hope, cmon Hader!)

All-Time Leaders

As much as we focus on Altuve, Verlander can really make some big strides up the all-time charts this year. he's already the #1 active pitcher in every category except strikeouts, where is he #2 behind Max Scherzer by just 25 strikeouts.

Consider:

Career WAR: JV is 26th all-time at 81.4 If he stays healthy and has a good season and even gets to a 4.0 WAR for 2024, he would move into the top 20, passing the likes of Bob Gibson, Fergie Jenkins, Mike Mussina, Robin Roberts, Nolan, and Steve Carlton.

Career Wins: JV is 42nd at 257. If he can win 12 games this year, he'll move into the top 35. Bob Feller is at 266, Jim Palmer at 268. The extreme fish out of water Jamie Moyer at 269.

Career Innings Pitched: JV is 92nd at 3,325.1. If he throws 100 innings this year, he'll be up to 83rd. If he throws 150 innings, he'll get to 75th, jsut ahead of John Smoltz.

Career strikeouts: JV is tied for 12th with Phil Niekro at 3,342. As I mentioned, he's 25 behind Scherzer for 11th, and just 29 behind Greg Maddux for 10th. After that it's a steeper climb to Walter Johnson at 3,509 - that's 167 away. When he eventually finishes in the top 10, the Astros will claim 5 of the top 10 strikeout positions - Nolan, Big Unit, Clemens, Sutton and Verlander).

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
cc10106
Alex was called up during the last season they didn't make the playoffs so he's experienced that disappointment before. He sounded pretty pissed yesterday after the game and kept answering about executing better no matter what the question was. If there was any alpha dog left on this team as previously mentioned, he seems like the one.
f1ghtintexasaggie
cc10106 said:

Alex was called up during the last season they didn't make the playoffs so he's experienced that disappointment before. He sounded pretty pissed yesterday after the game and kept answering about executing better no matter what the question was. If there was any alpha dog left on this team as previously mentioned, he seems like the one.

Those words will carry weight only if he can back them up with production in the field, and up to this point in the season, well....
Farmer1906
AG
Ag4life80
AG
Time to turn it around starting tonight
tjack16
AG
Win the next 2 series and go 2-0 in Mexico

6-2, to bring you to 12-16 coming back home. That's my hope
DeProfundis
The mexico city series is going to be tough on our guys, and the rockies have an unfair advantage. Mexico city is at an elevation of 7,500 feet above sea level which is almost to the point at where some people get altitude sickness.

The rockies are used to playing at 5200 feet above sea level so the additional 2300 feet or so won't phase them too much, but for our guys the lack of oxygen will be very noticeable, even for those in great shape.

On the plus side we should see an absolute ton of longballs.
AustinCountyAg
after watching the trevor bauer vlog from his start against the yankees in Mexico City you could tell the altitude for sure impacts the pitchers as well with the ball not breaking, and moving like one would be accustomed to.
Ag_07
AG
Didn't we play well last time we were in Mexico City? IIRC it was a convincing sweep of the Angels

Our guys seemed to be just fine back then.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07 said:

Didn't we play well last time we were in Mexico City? IIRC it was a convincing sweep of the Angels

We had the 2019 juiced balls...plus it was the Angels.
All I do is Nguyen
Hey wake up ****ers!!! It's JV day!!!
DeProfundis
Ag_07 said:

Here's hoping we do, we've just got a lot of older players and Los Angeles is pretty much the same elevation as Houston, so both teams were impacted to the same level. The Rockies should deal with the elevation better than us.
CFTXAG10
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Time to bring back rally Kate
EastCoastAgNc
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Is that allowed?
Mathguy64
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

CFTXAG10 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Is that allowed?
What are they gonna do? Fire me?
DeProfundis
Mathguy64 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

CFTXAG10 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Is that allowed?
out of a cannon
EastCoastAgNc
AG
CFTXAG10
AG
Mathguy64 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

CFTXAG10 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Is that allowed?
No, but they might put a firm underhand monkey grip on your Johnson
wangus12
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

CFTXAG10 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Is that allowed?
Like a phoenix from the ashes

MaxPower
EastCoastAgNc said:

A lot of what you'd expect. One interesting thing I wasn't aware of is Dana Brown was key in pushing to get Blanco converted to a starter. I have been very critical of Crane and I know there's a lot of talk he has trust issues after the scandal but if I'm putting on my optimist hat then the hope is things like this help Dana build Crane's trust and he will lean on Dana more and more as time goes on. Crane is 70 and runs his other businesses as well so I don't see how the current model can be sustainable anyway.
AgLA06
AG
wangus12 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

CFTXAG10 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Is that allowed?
Like a phoenix from the ashes

I'll take "things that are rising" for $500 Alex.
Mathguy64
AG
iBrad
AG
I think Dana is in control of the draft and player development, but Crane is still the primary decision-maker on trades and free agents. Dana's true impact on the organization probably won't be visible for several years.
Mathguy64
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 305 of 451

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.