LIV Golf 2024

16,821 Views | 189 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by 1208HawkTree
Marauder Blue 6
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
class of 03 said:

This was never about the big names in big fields, only about big names getting paid. Without Phil's gambling, not sure we are even here today. But he hit a big parlay with PIF.
LIV is nothing more than Greg Norman and his ego finding someone dumb enough and with deep enough pockets to bankroll his long-held vendetta against the PGA Tour. It made a select few richer than they already would've been and few richer than they would've ever had a chance to be but so far I don't see it really accomplishing anything, especially "growing the game." It's just a bunch of millionaires who want their cake and to eat it too by doing less work for the same benefits and rewards versus millionaires who care more about the history and traditions of the professional game. I personally can't stand hearing Brandel's overplayed diatribes about "blood money" and "sportswashing" too. All it's done so far is diminish the fan experience. As a fan, it's tiresome.
safety guy
AG
Growing the game is about taking tournaments with big name players worldwide, not just North America and Europe. One thing about LIV is that you know who is playing each event versus a random pga event with a smattering of their high profile players. The pga has worked with the players to make sure there are several big names at each event. But what I would like to see with LIV is have them go to 72 holes and have the team event have the same current rules except make it the first 3 days. Then have the final round be individual only and not shotgun start.
Aggie369
AG
I like these ideas

Need more of these ideas/posts
MW03
AG
safety guy said:

Growing the game is about taking tournaments with big name players worldwide, not just North America and Europe. One thing about LIV is that you know who is playing each event versus a random pga event with a smattering of their high profile players. The pga has worked with the players to make sure there are several big names at each event. But what I would like to see with LIV is have them go to 72 holes and have the team event have the same current rules except make it the first 3 days. Then have the final round be individual only and not shotgun start.

You're onto something here.

Four days. Full field for three days, concluding with the team winner.

Cut down on day four for a final, traditional round to decide the overall winner.
lazuras_dc
AG
That's a great format idea. The shotgun start on the last day really takes the suspense out of it. It really just feels like a regular round or an exhibition really.
_lefraud_
AG
Great idea.

Part of the problem people have with LIV is that there is no way to play your way into LIV.

Having some sort of LIV "pool" for players from all tours to opt into may work. Bottom finishers at LIV event get replaced by players in the pool (prioritized by OWGR or something). Of course, the PGAT and DPWT would have to give the ok.
Bunk Moreland
I think they've actually discussed ways for this to happen. But the current stonewalling by OWGR and the major entities for now I think has them just saying "fine, **** it. We'll do what we want and poach 1 or 2 stars a year until you are willing to work with us in good faith"

I love the team concept and love the idea of having a thriving PGAT, DPWT etc in addition to an overarching "F1-esque" limited schedule international league that has promotion/relegation built in for people to earn their way up into it or fall out.

I think we will ultimately get there but it still has a lot of hurdles.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They had it. It was called the WGC. Basically fizzled over time because there really isn't that much elevated interest in it from a fan perspective
Bunk Moreland
WGC was nowhere near the concept that LIV is attempting.
_lefraud_
AG
Yea, WGC is basically what the Signature events are now, except one or two were played outside the US.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

WGC was nowhere near the concept that LIV is attempting.

Not the team aspect (although there was one team event for 7 years), but players playing themselves into (and out of) the Top 50 to play in international, no-cut events is exactly what you just described. WGC had events in China, Spain, Ireland, England, Mexico, etc over time
AustinCountyAg
pretty good interview here with bryson going pretty depth on LIV. It is a good listen. fast forward about 45 min to get to the LIV talk.
Bunk Moreland
Night time golf the next 3 evenings with LIV in Australia. I think this was their highest attended event last year so it should be a good crowd.

I think rounds get started at 8:45 central tonight which is 11:15 Australia time. I know they have to cater to the host country, but this is one situation where starting at at 10:00 am local / 7:30 pm central would make a ton of sense to try and increase US ratings.
bowhuntr
They need to learn how to drown out the club banger music in this broadcast. Hard to listen to…definitely not golf nap material.
1208HawkTree
AG
Playing in a scholarship scramble at GCofH the week before they play there, so looking forward to playing the course in really good shape with the stands, etc. all set up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.