Targac isn't getting it done.

21,396 Views | 229 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by AgLA06
LB12Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who do you want playing second and why?
jkag89
You are correct. This forum is here for discussion. As long as it is within reason and meets TexAgs guidelines you have the right to post your thoughts. On the other hand, you don't have the right to expect others to agree with you and let what you posted go unchallenged.

I'll admit the regulars on this board tend to be protective of the players on the team, to a fault even. They're our guys. Why we all have are favorites and Targac is probably a favorite of all the regulars here but we really do love all of them.

Unfortunately almost every season there is a player in which gets put under the microscope and his perceived lack of production gets harped upon ad nauseum. Multiple threads about it, pointing out of every AB that does nor result in a positive outcome (and if it is positive it is quickly forgotten or the criticism of said player is shifted to some other "fault" in his game). It gets very old, very quickly.
Agthatbuilds
Discussing the team is fine. In fact, the way you are doing it is how it should be done.

Advocating why without bashing a player isn't a difficult task.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with saying Kent is a better option as evidenced by the on field results and schloss should give him the vast majority of reps.

But, many posters cannot seem to do that without trashing players. That's the problem.
AgLA06
AG
Here's the stats, that hopefully we can actually talk about.

It's not taking about 2 similar players by the numbers. We're discussing the last place hitter on the team getting at bats over Kent. I get it's not fun to sit the 12th man, but if the argument is leadership, that's what should be happening.

Nothing in this thread is fair to Kent. He's having a better year statistically than last year and this in and out of the lineup can't be good for the run down the stretch for him. The ultimate compliment for a ball player is consistency and what we're doing is the exact opposite 9f that. It's time to lock him in and work Targac in on Tuesdays and when games are already decided.

So I'll ask again for those arguing relationships and feelings over statistics. How much longer should this go on? How much more rope does Targac need to get before a decision has to be made?

LB12Diamond
AG
I'm actually a pro Kent guy. But I get trying Targ out at this time. Kent has not looked good in SEC play. Every at bat has looked like he's pressing and over matched. Targ at least has shown a few good at bats in SEC play.

I think Kent is 3 for 16 in SEC play. Three singles. Besides that his at bats just look very bad.
W
AG
another key stat ---> NIL allotment

of course no one knows what those numbers are

but it seems like angst should be in proportion to $$$
Goose06
AG
I haven't read this whole thread so I'm sure it's been discussed, but it seems obvious that Schloss thinks the upside of Targac is worth waiting for. If Targac figures it out he adds a different dimension to the lineup than Kent. If he doesn't figure it out, Schloss is giving Kent enough at bats to keep him ready. Seems like a win win approach to me.
AgLA06
AG
LB12Diamond said:

I'm actually a pro Kent guy. But I get trying Targ out at this time. Kent has not looked good in SEC play. Every at bat has looked like he's pressing and over matched. Targ at least has shown a few good at bats in SEC play.

Yah, I couldn't disagree more with that. Kent is down in conference (just about everyone is), but we're not discussing him in isolation. It's a comparison of options for 2nd base.

Here's SEC stats only.
Agthatbuilds
Yeah, no matter who is playing 2B, it's our weakest spot in the lineup. Neither Kent nor targ nor bell have done enough to lock it down. There's nothing wrong with rotating them through to see if any one of them catch a little fire.

The upside is that if targ happens to find his swing again, it'd make our lineup nearly unstoppable. Maybe that little double yesterday relieves a little pressure, maybe he comes back today and looks like he's has the rest of this season.

Point is, neither has been necessarily good enough to justify getting every start or at bat.
trouble
AG
The answer is as long as Schloss wants it to and as much rope as he wants to give him.

In the field, their numbers are very similar.

Kent has gotten ABs. He's got 55 to Targac's 38. In those, he has 4 RBIs to Ryan's 7. Kaedan accounts for roughly 1/3 of the GiDP on the team.

There's more to it than just a batting average.
AgLA06
AG
Definitely weak, but Kent is hitting at a clip 2.65 times better clip than the other options in conference play.

It's not exactly close.
Agthatbuilds
.188 isn't great and certainly not good enough to lock down a position
AgLA06
AG
Kent's on base percentage is higher which also matters for your 9 hole to set the table for the top of the order.

Targac is striking out 53% of his at bats in conference play. 53%!! (8 KS in 15 at bats).
Goose06
AG
AgLA06 said:

It's not taking about 2 similar players by the numbers. We're discussing the last place hitter on the team getting at bats over Kent. I get it's not fun to sit the 12th man, but if the argument is leadership, that's what should be happening.

Nothing in this thread is fair to Kent. He's having a better year statistically than last year and this in and out of the lineup can't be good for the run down the stretch for him. The ultimate compliment for a ball player is consistency and what we're doing is the exact opposite 9f that. It's time to lock him in and work Targac in on Tuesdays and when games are already decided.

So I'll ask again for those arguing relationships and feelings over statistics. How much longer should this go on? How much more rope does Targac need to get before a decision has to be made?

Kent has 2 extra base hits in 55 at bats. Last year he had 6. That's 8 extra base hits in 138 at bats. He hasn't done anything to lock down the spot and when you have a guy who is capable of hitting the way Targac did in 2022, I understand continuing to run him out there.
MagnumLoad
OlsenAg15 said:

Right! I was referring to whole season stats but bottom line is he just isn't seeing the ball, for whatever reason.

I would have his vision checked, if they haven't already done that. I have seen that problem before
AgLA06
AG
Goose06 said:

AgLA06 said:

Kent has 2 extra base hits in 55 at bats. Last year he had 6. That's 8 extra base hits in 138 at bats. He hasn't done anything to lock down the spot and when you have a guy who is capable of hitting the way Targac did in 2022, I understand continuing to run him out there.

2021, 2023 and the first half of 2024 say otherwise. At this point it was the exception, not the rule.

Even with 2022 Targac strikes out every third at bat. He's a career 37.5% strike out per at bat guy.
LB12Diamond
AG
AgLA06 said:

Definitely weak, but Kent is hitting at a clip 2.65 times better clip than the other options in conference play.

It's not exactly close.

Wrong

Kent's at bats against SEC starters have looked horrible. He got a hit last night against an average bull pen guy.

Targs at bats the past couple of games against the starters have at least been competitive and he got a solid double as well.

Kent had his shot. Now Targ is getting his shot.
trouble
AG
I think Schloss is also taking into consideration Ryan's rehab from injury. It's not like he just forgot how to bat last year. He was injured last year and again early this year.

I'm not going to be mad or post things about Kent if he locks it down. We're big SuperFish fans over here too.

There's just no reason to post some of the things that get posted here. About any player.
jkag89
Quote:

I've admitted my bias. I like the kid and want him to do well. However, I don't get pissed and ***** when he's not in the lineup like some people here do when he is.
Exactly. If KK gets the nod tonight not a single one of us is going to weep, wail or gnash their teeth about it. If he has a poor AB we're not going to harp on it, if it is in a key moment of the game we might sigh but we are not going to single it out if it is an inning in which the pitcher dispatched every Aggie hitter which was the case with Targac last night in the 2nd inning.
Hearne_Ag
AG
trouble said:

I think Schloss is also taking into consideration Ryan's rehab from injury. It's not like he just forgot how to bat last year. He was injured last year and again early this year.

I'm not going to be mad or post things about Kent if he locks it down. We're big SuperFish fans over here too.

There's just no reason to post some of the things that get posted here. About any player.
Especially if you met some of them in person.
AgLA06
AG
LB12Diamond said:

AgLA06 said:

It's not exactly close.

Wrong

Kent's at bats against SEC starters have looked horrible. He got a hit last night against an average bull pen guy.

Targs at bats the past couple of games against the starters have at least been competitive and he got a solid double as well.

That's literally the stats.
Goose06
AG
AgLA06 said:

Goose06 said:

AgLA06 said:

2021, 2023 and the first half of 2024 say otherwise. At this point it was the exception, not the rule.

And Kent hasn't done anything in any season at A&M that says he can transform a lineup. I get it that both sides have an argument. I choose to trust Schloss has a good reason for what he's doing. Some of you disagree. I just don't see a hugely compelling argument for Kent. At this point my prediction is chestnut if he can get healthy.
trouble
AG
There is no one on this team I wouldn't defend. We definitely love Ryan a little more but they are all amazing kids who take time for their little fans.
LB12Diamond
AG
Exactly

Again I'm pro Kent. I do think he's the best defensive option. I think he would still be starting if his bats against the Gators had at least been competitive looking.

I think Targ getting a shot right now is justified and the overall debate focused on the 9 hole spot is not justified.
Goose06
AG
AgLA06 said:

LB12Diamond said:

AgLA06 said:

It's not exactly close.

Wrong

Stats aren't exactly meaningful at 38 and 55 at bats. And even less against SEC pitching. Schloss sees way more at bats for both guys.
Hearne_Ag
AG
Ryan is down to earth, I wish him all the best, and hopefully yesterday gets him going!
jkag89
Oops
Goose06
AG
One other thing I'll add… I think Schloss had a new idea he wanted to try with Targo in the 9 hole to see how he does if he gets more fastballs with the protection of the big 3 behind him.
LB12Diamond
AG
And if Targ got the at bat Vs the average bull pen guy yesterday the stats would be flipped

Can you not have deeper discussions. How do you think Kent has looked against SEC starters?
trouble
AG
I think this played heavily into this weekend's line up
Agthatbuilds
Ultimately, we'd probably be 24-3 no matter if Kent or targac started every game.
AgLA06
AG
Better overall than Targac.

Targac literally has 1 hit in SEC play. He struck out every other at bat, and has 1 walk to 8 KS.

Kent has 3 hits and half the strike outs.

Goose06
AG
In your opinion are 3 hits statistically meaningful?
AgLA06
AG
Goose06 said:

One other thing I'll add… I think Schloss had a new idea he wanted to try with Targo in the 9 hole to see how he does if he gets more fastballs with the protection of the big 3 behind him.

This I could see. I'm not sure that will play out against better teams or in the post season. Good pitching staffs won't give in when he's striking out every other at bat.
jkag89
Quote:

As the great American author Mark Twain used to say; ."There are 3 kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." In other words stats can be selectively chosen to defend almost any argument.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.