Targac isn't getting it done.

21,370 Views | 229 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by AgLA06
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Goose06 said:

In your opinion are 3 hits statistically meaningful?

It was triple the amount of times we had a runner on for the top of the order.
Goose06
AG
AgLA06 said:

Goose06 said:

One other thing I'll add… I think Schloss had a new idea he wanted to try with Targo in the 9 hole to see how he does if he gets more fastballs with the protection of the big 3 behind him.

This I could see. I'm not sure that will play out against better teams or in the post season. Good pitching staffs won't give in when he's striking out every other at bat.

He's striking out because he's swinging at balls. Maybe combining a more patient approach at the plate with the protection of the big 3 will cause a revelation? Maybe it won't. We will see…
Goose06
AG
AgLA06 said:

Goose06 said:

Answer the question…
McInnis
AG
I really haven't seen anything here directed at Ryan that I would call venom either. But sometimes a little tact can go a long ways in these things. If the OP had been titled "who should be starting at second base?" And then followed with the question "they both have their strengths, what do you think?" this thread would probably be a lot different by now.
LB12Diamond
AG
AgLA06 said:

Better overall than Targac.

Targac literally has 1 hit in SEC play. He struck out every other at bat, and has 1 walk to 8 KS.

Kent has 3 hits and half the strike outs.

Are you watching the games?

I'm confused by you not answering my question or ignoring my point.

What did you think of the quality of at bats for Kent against SEC starting pitching?
trouble
AG
He hasn't struck out at every other AB. He has 16 SEC ABs, 1 hit, 9K. He also hit some hard balls right to them. That still sucks but it isn't the same as him being an automatic SO. Some of those were good ABs that ended up with not great results.
LB12Diamond
AG
Go to the game threads both on this forum and premium. Look at it after every Targ at bat and his error.

You tell me what better word you would like instead of Venom for the responses.

I can think of a few others.

Excruciating

Horrific

Would rather have shards of glass in my eyes.

Edit: Also, there were many posts on this thread that were venomous towards Targ that have been removed by staff.
trouble
AG
AgLA06 said:

Goose06 said:

Neither of them has been hitting in the 9 hole for all of SEC play.
Sea Pony 07
AG
I'm a fan of both Targ and Kent and I'm fine with whichever one coach puts in the line-up. And I'll admit I'd much rather focus on the positives of each player than harp on the negatives in a public forum.
AgLA06
AG
trouble said:

He hasn't struck out at every other AB. He has 16 SEC ABs, 1 hit, 9K. He also hit some hard balls right to them. That still sucks but it isn't the same as him being an automatic SO. Some of those were good ABs that ended up with not great results.
He has 8 Ks in 14 at bats in conference play for a 57% strikeout percentage.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
I'm new to baseball but to me not much needs to be said in regards to Ryan. Everyone sees the struggle. We all get it. Harping on it everytime hes AB or making a play is a bit much.
AgLA06
AG
LB12Diamond said:

Go to the game threads both on this forum and premium. Look at it after every Targ at bat and his error.

Excruciating

Horrific

That has nothing to do with this thread. And the fact that's what you have to resort to is telling to the discussion.
trouble
AG
Despite my not being able to count, that still isn't every AB other than last night's double.
Sean98
AG
LB12Diamond said:

Who do you want playing second and why?
Kent is the easy answer because of his consistent defense. Targ is an option because of his power potential. Bell is an option because of both defense and power.

None of them have looked great at the plate in SEC play. Bell's best at bats have been walks. Not in a place where I can bounce between TA & stats pages easily but his PA/BB/K Numbers are far better than Targo.

Given the option of a 4 year player hoping to "find it" or young players hoping to find it I'll go with the young player almost every time. The exception being if you feel they're so overmatched that it'll ruin their career. But I think if that's a real fear then they're probably not strong enough to be a full time SEC player.
AgLA06
AG
Goose06 said:

AgLA06 said:

Goose06 said:

Answer the question…
It's baseball. Of course stats are meaningful.

I'd play the guy hitting at a 2.5 times greater clip.

Look, if they were both freshman, than this would be a different story. At this point we're half way through the season and your trying to negate that one player is statistically a better hitter over a senior that only has had 1 good season in 3.5.

Leadership doesn't necessarily mean being a starter. Some of the most powerful leadership is a guy doing and saying the right thing and leading by example in practice from the dugout when he knows it would be in the better interest of the team for someone else to get the starts. That earns the ultimate respect from a team.
Goose06
AG
Thank you for the detailed response. Knowing that you think 3 hits are statistically meaningful informs me that arguing with you is a waste of my time.
Sean98
AG
AgLA06 said:

Goose06 said:

One other thing I'll add… I think Schloss had a new idea he wanted to try with Targo in the 9 hole to see how he does if he gets more fastballs with the protection of the big 3 behind him.

This I could see. I'm not sure that will play out against better teams or in the post season. Good pitching staffs won't give in when he's striking out every other at bat.
If he can get consistent fastballs in the 9 hole then it'll be a win for the team.
LB12Diamond
AG
Got it

Make sure to post all the thread rules up front.

You have continually not answered questions by me on this thread. Did I also miss that rule. You ignore questions that don't work for your stance.

Anyway, as I stated earlier in this thread. This discussion is way overboard for the 9 hole spot in the lineup. I'm bowing out of it moving forward. Have fun debating a non critical area.
Sean98
AG
trouble said:

Despite my not being able to count, that still isn't every AB other than last night's double.
I think by "every other" he meant alternating... So K, not K, K, Not K. I.e., "half."
trouble
AG
Sean98 said:

trouble said:

I think by "every other" he meant alternating... So K, not K, K, Not K. I.e., "half."
possibly. That isn't how I read it.
AgLA06
AG
Goose06 said:

Thank you for the detailed response. Knowing that you think 3 hits are statistically meaningful informs me that arguing with you is a waste of my time.
It's not just hitting 3 times more hits in conference play. It's also that Targac only has 6 hits in 38 at bats this season while Kent has 15 hits in 55 at bats. Or that Kent has more walks than strikeouts overall and a much, much better OBP which is important for a guy hitting in the 9 hole to turn the lineup over for the top of the order.

It's just moving the goal posts to try and find some reason that Kent isn't as good as the disparity has shown. That response you made isn't flattering.
McInnis
AG
LB12Diamond said:

Excruciating

Horrific

I follow the game threads. When I said here, I was talking about this thread.
NiagraSpews2014
AG
AgLA06 said:

Goose06 said:

It's not just hitting 3 times more hits in conference play. It's also that Targac only has 6 hits in 38 at bats this season while Kent has 15 hits in 55 at bats. Or that Kent has more walks than strikeouts overall and a much, much better OBP which is important for a guy hitting in the 9 hole to turn the lineup over for the top of the order.

It's just moving the goal posts to try and find some reason that Kent isn't as good as the disparity has shown. That response you made isn't flattering.

That is 17 more AB's. I'm no math magician but even with a 57% k rate, potential for 7 more hits. So 13 v 15? With a greater potential for xbh
Aggie0404
AG
Ali went 3-32 earlier in the season, coach let him ride it out and that has paid off.

Targac has gone 6-38 and has a very long leash granted he has earned that from previous years.

Kent seems to have a very small leash. There's no opportunity for him to ride it out. I don't believe we've seen what he is capable of. When you know your coach trust you in situations the outcome can be tremendously effective.
greg.w.h
AG
BLSmith04 said:

There's no reason for Targac to be starting over Kaeden Kent, or even Jack Bell.
Yes there is. Schloss makes lineup decisions not you.
AgLA06
AG
greg.w.h said:

BLSmith04 said:

There's no reason for Targac to be starting over Kaeden Kent, or even Jack Bell.
Yes there is. Schloss makes lineup decisions not you.

This kind of response is just weird.
Sterling82
Goose06 said:

AgLA06 said:

Goose06 said:

He's striking out because he's swinging at balls. Maybe combining a more patient approach at the plate with the protection of the big 3 will cause a revelation? Maybe it won't. We will see…

I think he's being too patient because his confidence is down. He's taking the best pitches early in the at bat and swinging at bad pitches late because he's down in the count. On the bright side he took two difficult pitches to the opposite field last night so that's encouraging.
Goose06
AG
I'd love to see a chart of his at bats, but I've seen quite a few 0-0 swings at breaking balls out of the zone.
TarponChaser
And Targac making basically the same error 2 games in a row is frustrating. He's supposed to know better. Ultimately we still won both games but damn they made it tight.
McInnis
AG
I wonder if it would be a good idea to let Ryan DH today. Schott has been struggling a little bit lately himself.
Goose06
AG
TarponChaser said:

And Targac making basically the same error 2 games in a row is frustrating. He's supposed to know better. Ultimately we still won both games but damn they made it tight.

The error last night had zero impact on the game. We had no outs and it allowed a runner to score from 3rd but the runner on 1st didn't even advance. So let's not make it seem like his error changed the game because that's disingenuous.
Sean98
AG
McInnis said:

I wonder if it would be a good idea to let Ryan DH today. Schott has been struggling a little bit lately himself.
Had you said that before this series I get it, but he's been much better the last 2 games.
Thisguy1
I'm going to bet Chestnut goes right back in that spot when he gets back. If that's the case, we're really just talking about who's holding down that spot for hopefully another week or two.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Goose06 said:

TarponChaser said:

The error last night had zero impact on the game. We had no outs and it allowed a runner to score from 3rd but the runner on 1st didn't even advance. So let's not make it seem like his error changed the game because that's disingenuous.

At the time it absolutely had an impact on the game, luckily we responded the very next inning
Goose06
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Goose06 said:

TarponChaser said:

At the time it absolutely had an impact on the game, luckily we responded the very next inning

What impact was that? The very next play was an infield single to SS that would have scored that run anyway.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.