Targac isn't getting it done.

21,407 Views | 229 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by AgLA06
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgLA06 said:

greg.w.h said:

BLSmith04 said:

There's no reason for Targac to be starting over Kaeden Kent, or even Jack Bell.
Yes there is. Schloss makes lineup decisions not you.

This kind of response is just weird.
No it's not.
dermdoc
AG
NiagraSpews2014 said:

I'll be Mike Gundy on this one...

Keep the criticism to #'s and facts. If you want to bash on someone. I'm at most games section 203 row 5 seat 1. Big guy, usually have sunglasses that have a dangling mustache on them, and keeping score. Come bash on me.
Or me. I am the little guy in the front row at the on deck circle.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
McInnis said:

I really haven't seen anything here directed at Ryan that I would call venom either. But sometimes a little tact can go a long ways in these things. If the OP had been titled "who should be starting at second base?" And then followed with the question "they both have their strengths, what do you think?" this thread would probably be a lot different by now.
Agree completely.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
AgLA06 said:

dermdoc said:

Chester said:

trouble said:

Doesn't matter if they know the 90% of the board is idiots, no one wants to read themselves (or their kid) being trashed.
Getting trashed on this board is nothing to worry or fret about. It's just a board full of a lot of people who don't have a clue. Players and family know that.
You would be shocked at how some comments on here affect players and their families. We need to think before we post.

I try to think would I say this to a player or family to their face.

I'd tell Kent it's pretty crappy he isn't getting more playing time even though he's outperformed Targac and deserves it.

But y'all keep talking about player's feelings. I'm sure he feels really great about the situation. I'm sure only Targac reads TexAgs and Kent isn't reading this wondering what he has to do for y'all to support him the same way.
I was making a general comment targeted at those posters who do not think players and their families are affected by posts on here.

Where did I mention a specific player's name? Why the snarky tone?

I do not want crap posted about Kent, Targac, or any of our players.

Sue me.
SchizoAg
AG
I think what Ryan needs to get him through his slump is a good, derisive nickname. I asked ChatGPT, and it came up with Ryan "Off-Target" Targac. Not bad.
dermdoc
AG
SchizoAg said:

I think what Ryan needs to get him through his slump is a good, derisive nickname. I asked ChatGPT, and it came up with Ryan "Off-Target" Targac. Not bad.
I like it. The world was a better place when we all had nicknames.
Thisguy1
SchizoAg said:

That's not the kind of slumpbuster I'm familiar with.

Never tested it personally, but I have seen it work a few times.
LB12Diamond
AG
SchizoAg said:

I think he should let Schot pick his walk up song.
Goose06
AG
AgLA06 said:

dermdoc said:

Chester said:

trouble said:

Doesn't matter if they know the 90% of the board is idiots, no one wants to read themselves (or their kid) being trashed.
Getting trashed on this board is nothing to worry or fret about. It's just a board full of a lot of people who don't have a clue. Players and family know that.
You would be shocked at how some comments on here affect players and their families. We need to think before we post.

I'd tell Kent it's pretty crappy he isn't getting more playing time even though he's outperformed Targac and deserves it.

But y'all keep talking about player's feelings. I'm sure he feels really great about the situation. I'm sure only Targac reads TexAgs and Kent isn't reading this wondering what he has to do for y'all to support him the same way.

If people weren't making a case against Targac, then others wouldn't be making the case for Targac which is inherently against Kent. There is much more hate aimed at Targac versus Kent if you read TexAgs in its totality. Where is the thread called "Kent isn't getting it done?" I can't seem to find that one…
Sean98
AG
Thisguy1 said:

SchizoAg said:

It mostly moves your brain to a different place where you're worked about something that isn't baseball related... That frees your homunculus up to focus on throwing strikes or hitting a baseball. It works.

...or so I've been told.
pantherag
AG
AgLA06 said:

Better overall than Targac.

Targac literally has 1 hit in SEC play. He struck out every other at bat, and has 1 walk to 8 KS.

Kent has 3 hits and half the strike outs.

It's useless statistics are to be ignored over feelings.
phatty26
I can only imagine what it would be like if we weren't 5-3 and going for a sweep today. Let's focus on the positives from last night,
First and foremost the 7 hole finally hit a hit in SEC games,
Targac broke his hitless streak and had a big walk. Kent delivered a single.
Not to mention Brad Rudis stellar bullpen outing.
First series we've won the first two games,
Bottom line we are only getting better. Let's enjoy this ride.
Agthatbuilds
3 for 16, .188, 2 rbis, 4 strikeouts, 0 walks, 3 total bases isn't a must start every game and/or play every play sort of Stat line
pantherag
AG
I'm not sure I've ever seen a player or coach goal tended as much as "this one" on Texags. At least it won't be an issue next season.
LB12Diamond
AG
One thing that is great. We have this long thread that is debating our 9 hole hitter! Now I think it's silly stressing out over Scloss trying different options for our 9 hole but at least this is the main concern for some Aggie fans at this time right or wrong.

Last year we were worried about starting pitchers and batters in the meat of the lineup.

Our starting pitching and meat of our lineup are top notch this year. Fun times!
phatty26
I had the thread about the crazy 7 hole futility. Which I am gladly abandoning after Ali ended that streak.
AgLA06
AG
Compared to 1 for 14 .071 BA, .133 OBP, .143 slg and 8 Ks it is.
Agthatbuilds
No, it's really not. It's not that much better. They both have poor stat lines, both at the statistical bottom of our lineup.

Neither has done enough to establish themselves as the bona-fide started. Kent's got more PT than targac, as it probably should be. But he hasn't done enough with it that targac or bell shouldn't get some as well
SchizoAg
AG
Sean98 said:

Thisguy1 said:

SchizoAg said:

It mostly moves your brain to a different place where you're worked about something that isn't baseball related... That frees your homunculus up to focus on throwing strikes or hitting a baseball. It works.

...or so I've been told.
Maybe a little. But I think the greater effect is to diminish the dread of the slump by saying that it's nothing so tragic that it can't be joked about. If someone has brain cancer, you don't joke about it. (The conventional wisdom.) Unless, of course, you are trying to cheer them up. (The reality.)

In this case, it expresses respect and confidence. Even though you are in a slump, we still respect you and have confidence enough to continue to treat you as one of the guys. If we thought you were too fragile or your condition was terminal, we would hold our tongues. But that would express a lack of belief in you.
TarponChaser
dermdoc said:

AgLA06 said:

dermdoc said:

Chester said:

trouble said:

I was making a general comment targeted at those posters who do not think players and their families are affected by posts on here.

Where did I mention a specific player's name? Why the snarky tone?

I do not want crap posted about Kent, Targac, or any of our players.

Sue me.

Personal attacks are out of line but critically assessing performance or lack thereof is completely OK.
Sterling82
SchizoAg said:

RC said he once had a punter nicknamed "Shank". It wasn't clear whether it made him a better punter or not.
tjack16
AG
Bad night to be a Targac hater
Tailgate88
AG
Pretty sad this thread was even started. Support our Ags or follow your Mama's advice and keep your mouth shut.
grover1263
Targac haters can just be quiet. Had a good night
Goose06
AG
Kent had a solid night as well. Line out to center and lead off walk in the 11th to set up top of the lineup.
jkag89
Maybe the two player approach is the right approach at this point of the season.
Sean98
AG
SchizoAg said:

Sean98 said:

Thisguy1 said:

SchizoAg said:

...or so I've been told.
Maybe a little. But I think the greater effect is to diminish the dread of the slump by saying that it's nothing so tragic that it can't be joked about. If someone has brain cancer, you don't joke about it. (The conventional wisdom.) Unless, of course, you are trying to cheer them up. (The reality.)

In this case, it expresses respect and confidence. Even though you are in a slump, we still respect you and have confidence enough to continue to treat you as one of the guys. If we thought you were too fragile or your condition was terminal, we would hold our tongues. But that would express a lack of belief in you.
I mean, I was talking about banging big girls... that seems like a little too much thinking for Mark Grace style slump busting. The less thinking the better when it comes to that.
austinag1997
AG
Targac had a 2-hit game last night. So theres that.
McInnis
AG
And missed a third hit by inches when the left fielder laid out and barely reached the ball with his glove.
Chester
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

I like Ryan, but it is obvious that he can't hit a breaking ball to save his life. I know this is going to ruffle some feathers on this board, but it is truth. It would be one thing if he was a freshman, but he is a senior..
Looks like he got it done. What do you think?
Chester
StinkyPinky
AG
Chester said:

Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

I like Ryan, but it is obvious that he can't hit a breaking ball to save his life. I know this is going to ruffle some feathers on this board, but it is truth. It would be one thing if he was a freshman, but he is a senior..
Looks like he got it done. What do you think?
I think #12 is a baller
TarponChaser

[We're not having that garbage. If you feel that way, find somewhere else to post -- Staff]
Goose06
AG
For anyone wondering why I said 3 hits vs 1 was statistically insignificant, well you should have a little better understanding now. All of a sudden both have 3 hits in SEC play (and Targac only has 1 more at bat). Generally speaking for baseball hitting statistics to be statistically significant you need >100 at bats (though strikeout rate is one metric that requires less at bats). Anyone who has studied baseball statistics would tell you this. The stabilization rate for batting average is not reached until somewhere well north of 100 at bats. Feel free to read up here or Google about baseball stat stabilization rates for additional reading material.

https://library.fangraphs.com/principles/sample-size/
StinkyPinky
AG
TarponChaser said:

Tailgate88 said:

Pretty sad this thread was even started. Support our Ags or follow your Mama's advice and keep your mouth shut.

This is the attitude which has produced little more than sustained mediocrity across most all our sports programs forever.

Targac had a good night but he's still not hitting his weight and a senior leader needs to be better.
You think the attitude of an online forum directly impacts the team performance? Not following the logic here.
Sterling82
TarponChaser said:

Tailgate88 said:

This is the attitude which has produced little more than sustained mediocrity across most all our sports programs forever.

Targac had a good night but he's still not hitting his weight and a senior leader needs to be better.

The attitude of fans has produced mediocrity? Can't believe that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.