Targac isn't getting it done.

20,759 Views | 229 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by AgLA06
Hubert J. Farnsworth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I like Ryan, but it is obvious that he can't hit a breaking ball to save his life. I know this is going to ruffle some feathers on this board, but it is truth. It would be one thing if he was a freshman, but he is a senior..
AG
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

I like Ryan, but it is obvious that he can't hit a breaking ball to save his life. I know this is going to ruffle some feathers on this board, but it is truth. It would be one thing if he was a freshman, but he is a senior..

I don't think this will ruffle many feathers at this point. Most all of us love the guy and his heart and fully support him, but we also see the writing on the wall. I haven't seen many on hear ardently backing his ability.
OlsenAg15
AG
His stats are essentially the same now as his freshman year…
Hitting .200 or less, but the difference this year is he just looks uncomfortable at the plate.. he watches pitches flow directly over the plate on hitters counts, then tends to swing at everything after that, typically out of the zone…love the guy and want him to excel, but he just can't seem to find the ball.
phatty26
In sec play his stats are
.000BA 7K's in 11AB
OlsenAg15
AG
Right! I was referring to whole season stats but bottom line is he just isn't seeing the ball, for whatever reason.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
OlsenAg15 said:

Right! I was referring to whole season stats but bottom line is he just isn't seeing the ball, for whatever reason.

The problem is that he hasn't seen the ball since his sophomore year. Teams figured him out in that they don't throw fastballs to him anymore.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Kent is seeing the ball better than Targo, that's not debatable
OlsenAg15
AG
Agree on all accounts

Still hate it for him. Got the 12, team leader…thought he'd find it this year. Hoping he gets the bat in a big game down the road and delivers! But Schloss has to move on from him as a daily contributor moving forward.
Serious Lee
phatty26 said:

.000BA 7K's in 11AB
Hubert J. Farnsworth
HoustonAg2106 said:

This. Kent is a better overall baseball player. Schloss is giving Targac every chance to find that sophomore magic again, but I would take Kent or Bell at this point.
OlsenAg15
AG
Not shocking at all considering he had 10 SO in 25 AB in pre-conference play.
Honestly I'm baffled at this point why Schloss continues to give him ABs.

Targac could be a huge contributor and valuable piece to this lineup, but he's just not seeing the ball and seems lost at the plate.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
OlsenAg15 said:

Not shocking at all considering he had 10 SO in 25 AB in pre-conference play.
Honestly I'm baffled at this point why Schloss continues to give him ABs.

Targac could be a huge contributor and valuable piece to this lineup, but he's just not seeing the ball and seems lost at the plate.

He's been lost at the plate since the end of 2022. Teams realized that he was a good fastball hitter and that he can't hit breaking balls.
Aggie12B
AG
It's true that Targac isn't having the season at the plate that we all wish he was having. I do not know Targac personally, but I am willing to bet that no one is more upset about that than Ryan, himself, is.In my opinion, threads like this do not do the team any good. Coach Schlossnagle knows a hell of lot more about College Baseball than most, if not all, of the posters on this forum do, and if he believes in Targac enough to keep giving him shots, I'm going to support that decision and support the team. It just pisses me off that people have to pile on a player who is struggling (just like the posters who only post when things aren't going great for the AGS).

Rant over.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
Aggie12B said:

It's true that Targac isn't having the season at the plate that we all wish he was having. I do not know Targac personally, but I am willing to bet that no one is more upset about that than Ryan, himself, is.In my opinion, threads like this do not do the team any good. Coach Schlossnagle knows a hell of lot more about College Baseball than most, if not all, of the posters on this forum do, and if he believes in Targac enough to keep giving him shots, I'm going to support that decision and support the team. It just pisses me off that people have to pile on a player who is struggling (just like the posters who only post when things aren't going great for the AGS).

Rant over.

This is a sports message board. If it upsets you that much, then I suggest that you stay off of it. Nobody said anything mean or bad about Targac as a person.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Aggie12B said:

Rant over.

Good grief.

In order (of bolded):

1. Nothing here hurts the team, either.
2. Regardless of his knowledge, meaningful discussion is had. Argue the points, not the posters. Otherwise, find a different topic or forum.
3. Nothing said here is going to change Schloss' behavior, so don't worry that it might.
4. Everyone here supports Aggie baseball.
5. Nothing said here is piling on anyone.

Is there anything else?
NorCal
phatty26 said:

.000BA 7K's in 11AB
NorCal
HoustonAg2106 said:

NorCal
OlsenAg15 said:

Agree on all accounts

Still hate it for him. Got the 12, team leader…thought he'd find it this year. Hoping he gets the bat in a big game down the road and delivers! But Schloss has to move on from him as a daily contributor moving forward.
LatinAggie1997
AG
Here's my rant -

I HOPE WHATEVER IS DECIDED MOVING FORWARD REGARDING THE LINE-UP WORKS OUT AND WE KEEP WINNING SERIES.

BTHoRants!
BULL
AG
Gotta hit the curve ……
phatty26
The other thing in this besides having better at bats is who is the better defender and that is Kent hands down. He's made a bunch of plays that have saved runs. He is also putting the ball in play.
Wabs
AG
I'd have no issue with Schloss working him in to games at appropriate times to try to get him out of this funk, but he should not see a meaningful AB again, especially in SEC play (until and if he starts having better ABs). Not only is it an empty AB, but it also takes away ABs from Kent who needs the work.

I really like Targac and I feel for him, but you gotta do what's best for the team.
Kozmozag
Schloss has a quick trigger with most guys when they play poorly, Targac has had ample oppurtunities.
jkag89

Aggie12B said:

Rant over.

This is a sports message board. If it upsets you that much, then I suggest that you stay off of it. Nobody said anything mean or bad about Targac as a person.
True. However seeing weekly threads combined with comments on game threads, lineup construction threads and the "is the 7 hole cursed" thread in which Targac's woes at the plate are parsed and parsed again whether meant or not come across as piling on. Please excuse us baseball board regulars, we tend to be protective or our guys, probably a little too much.
twk
AG
jkag89 said:

Aggie12B said:

Rant over.

True. However seeing weekly threads combined with comments on game threads, lineup construction threads and the "is the 7 hole cursed" thread in which Targac's woes at the plate are parsed and parsed again whether meant or not come across as piling on. Please excuse us baseball board regulars, we tend to be protective or our guys, probably a little too much.
This. It's like they think that the coaching staff would not recognize that there is an issue u less there is a thread on TexAgs calling Targac out. The right side of the infield was totally up for grabs when the season started. No one has really settled the argument on the field, yet.
threeanout
AG
I guess it is like boxing, where to win you have to knock the champion out. I guess hitting well over 100 points higher for average, having an OBP that is over 100 points better, and playing better defensively just 'aint considered knocking him out in baseball.
twk
AG
threeanout said:

I guess it is like boxing, where to win you have to knock the champion out. I guess hitting well over 100 points higher for average, having an OBP that is over 100 points better, and playing better defensively just 'aint considered knocking him out in baseball.
We know what Targac can do, which is a lot more than the stats you are pointing g to as being decisive. If Kent was playing like 2022 Targac, there would be no argument. But, Schloss apparently isn't ready to concede that we will never see Targac get back to that level.
McInnis
AG
Sine the start of last season he's had 254 ABs and has hit .213. At some point it's no longer a slump. It seems Kent's done enough to be our every day second baseman and you have to wonder what he's thinking.

It's true Schloss knows way more than any of us about this team but sometimes a coach can get locked in on something like this. Every Astro fan here will remember what happened with Dusty Baker and Martin Maldonado last year.
jja79
AG
Bet he starts tonight.
trouble
AG
Y'all also forget that players and their loved ones read this board. Keep to facts without the hyperbole. We've seen some real ugly stuff posted about 18-22 year olds who are playing their hearts out for the name on their chest.

I hugged Ryan last night and chatted with him a little. He's hurting. He knows things aren't going how he wants. And yet, he took the time to get back out of his truck and come see us when he saw Max when I'm certain all he wanted to do was get home.
Chester

Schlossnagle will start who he thinks will help the team. Relax and enjoy the game.
Chester
Chester
trouble said:

Y'all also forget that players and their loved ones read this board. Keep to facts without the hyperbole. We've seen some real ugly stuff posted about 18-22 year olds who are playing their hearts out for the name on their chest.

I hugged Ryan last night and chatted with him a little. He's hurting. He knows things aren't going how he wants. And yet, he took the time to get back out of his truck and come see us when he saw Max when I'm certain all he wanted to do was get home.
I wouldn't worry about the players getting upset about the comments on this board. The players know that most of the posters really don't know what they are talking about.
Chester
trouble
AG
Doesn't matter if they know the 90% of the board is idiots, no one wants to read themselves (or their kid) being trashed.
KT 90
AG
trouble said:

Good to hear that he still makes time for the kids. Most of the players that we encountered over the years (mostly when my kids were younger) all seem like good guys who just happen to also be good at baseball. Moreso than other sports anyway.

Him making time for your kid is likely part of the reason he got #12 this season.
Chester
trouble said:

Doesn't matter if they know the 90% of the board is idiots, no one wants to read themselves (or their kid) being trashed.
Getting trashed on this board is nothing to worry or fret about. It's just a board full of a lot of people who don't have a clue. Players and family know that.
Chester

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.