*****The Open Championship*****

17,274 Views | 388 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Mr.Bond
PascalsWager
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I feel like this is bigger than Andy Murray winning the "English Open". Wimbledon is distinctly English. Any of the 4 nations count as "home" at the Open.
DRE06
AG
Dammit. I was meant to be a pro golfer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Back to the Tiger and Jack comparisons earlier, he's definitely done enough already to make those conversations legit. At this point , it's more silly to compare him to someone like Mickelson than those two.
DRE06
AG
Man. Doesn't need to be said, but you can tell how much this one means to Rory.
Deluxe
AG
The grand slam is such an awesome accomplishment. So many great players haven't attained it. Crazy that Rory has a chance to do it at such a young age. Even crazier that Tiger has done it three times.
watty
AG
Rory was the best this week, obviously, but man, Fowler and Garcia were both awesome. Those guys impressed the heck out of me. Fowler showed some serious mental toughness both yesterday and today. Excited for his future.
BreNayPop
AG
Frankly I was impressed with fowler for not falling apart. Sergio will have more chances but that bunker shot killed it-still a great round tho.

People here wont like this, but im encouraged by tiger making the cut-didnt think that would happen. Made a ton of progress in one month with his swing and I think in another month we will see something better and the rest of these guys are gaining momentum.
watty
AG
I think Tiger needs to play more. He's played less and less tournament golf in recent years, and I think that's as much to blame for his issues as anything. I think he should add about four events per year and get back to playing more, contending more, feeling pressure more, etc.

I think rust and focus and mental errors are often his problem now, and I think the way out of that is to play more.
AgDotCom
Time to acknowledge Fowler as a Tier One player.

Last 4 majors: T19, T5, T2 and T2.

Dude seems very likable and humble. Waited to congratulate Bubba after his first Masters win, insisted Sergio go in front of him during the awards ceremony today. Not surprised his fellow players like him.

I'll be pulling for him.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Ditto on Fowler. Loved his smile watching Rory hug his Mom. I am becoming a big Ricky Fowler Fan even though I will never dress like him.
DRE06
AG
Ditto on Fowler. Won me over this tournament (and when he cut his hair).
Mr.Bond
AG
Rickie
Deluxe
AG
Rickie
LeFraud
McIlroy, Fowler, Spieth...very easy to root for these young guys imho, just very likable.
ColoradoMooseHerd
quote:
McIlroy, Fowler, Spieth...very easy to root for these young guys imho, we just don't have the real dirt on them yet.

FIFY
CapCityAg89
AG
quote:
quote:
Sorry to stir the pot and step away.

Rory could be a great player. Awesome right now when his swing is right.

BUT, for me, there are four elite players ever - Harry Vardon, Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods. When you are determining GOAT, it's splitting hairs but not case could be made for someone other than those four.

Wouldn't Bobby Jones be considered elite? Or are we merely discussing professional players?

I'll bring it back up because I like these conversations. No, I don't think Bobby Jones is elite. He wasn't playing for his livelihood like Vardon and Hogan were (back when you couldn't make a living on just top 10s). He couldn't handle the pressure then (when he quit). And he just didn't win enough.

The Grand Slam is elite. His course and tournament are elite. As an overall career player, no, he is not elite.
Big Cat `93
AG
The only question to answer now is what language that is DJ is speaking in that new ad. Translation, please.
LeFraud
5 us opens and 3 open championships makes you pretty damn elite
Chipotlemonger
AG
What is this turning into, a Fowler love forum?!

...dammit I like the guy too.
Post removed:
by user
Phat32
AG
Troll
ColoradoMooseHerd
AggieFox

Weak attempt at a troll
jcbaggie04
AG
Has anyone mentioned how great Fowler played this week? seriously though, I am encouraged to see such a strong showing from the youth power group this week and this year in general. I'm sure to skip some but in addition to Rory (obviously) and the aforementioned Fowler, Jordan Speith, and Koepka impressed as well.
jja79
AG
Fowler needs to win some tournaments.
Mr.Bond
AG
quote:
AggieFox

Weak attempt at a troll
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Fowler needs to win some tournaments.

His game is on point and he's seemed to be very adept with the Butch Harmon instruction. Swing looks great... Way less whippy than before. He will win more.
Ag_07
AG
Rickie has a solid game but he has never shown that extra gear that Rory, Scott, Rose, Tiger (pre 9-iron to the dome), and the other top tier golfers have. Seems like his best just always comes up short.
Post removed:
by user
jj9000
AG
quote:
I'm not trolling, do some research or ask someone else that's met him.

Go ahead.

Ask me.
Furlock Bones
AG
Fox,

Fowler is constantly talked about as one of the most well liked young guys on tour. But I'm sure you know better.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That icon next to that response, jj
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
Seems like his best just always comes up short.

He could have won the US Open and the Open Championship this year had the winners not played insanely well.
92TXAG
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm not trolling, do some research or ask someone else that's met him.

Go ahead.

Ask me.

baBOOM...that's gonna leave a mark
Ag_07
AG
quote:
quote:
Seems like his best just always comes up short.

He could have won the US Open and the Open Championship this year had the winners not played insanely well.

That's my point.

He just doesn't seem to have the ability to be the one playing insanely good. He's a top ten machine and has won a bunch of money on tour but has only 2 wins.
watty
AG
quote:
He just doesn't seem to have the ability to be the one playing insanely good. He's a top ten machine and has won a bunch of money on tour but has only 2 wins.

I think you're really misunderstanding the situation. This is clearly a new player. He's not the same guy he used to be. He just went toe to toe with Rory on the weekend. He's finished second in two straight majors. That doesn't mean "he just can't quite be good enough to win." It means that his game is at a new level it's never been at and is now on par with the best in the world. You're right, he wasn't up there previously. He is now. This year he has taken great strides and has easily the best combined performance in the three majors. So Rickie in 2014 is a new version of Rickie, and he's already established himself as one of the top performers in the game on its biggest stages. He's the first player since Tiger Woods in 2005 to have three straight top 5 finishes in majors.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.