*****The Open Championship*****

17,284 Views | 388 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Mr.Bond
Unemployed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Time for Dustin Johnson to step up and win his first major.
CapCityAg89
AG
Tiger at his peak had great game, but what made Nicklaus, him, and Hogan 1 a-b-c for GOAT were incredible competitive force of will - killer instinct. Rory just doesn't have that - it makes him more likeable, but means he will likely never be truly elite like those three.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
likely never be truly elite

Two majors (and half-way to three) @ 25?

I'd say chances are he becomes elite.
Tuco Salamanca
quote:
quote:
You do realize who you're talking about, right? Trying to give swing advice to arguably the best to ever play the game

Oh jeesh. here we go again.

"Arguably"
Chipotlemonger
AG
SEE "ARGUABLY"

Good lord the golf board is a ****ing love/hate. I'm glad I don't have to sit down face to face with some of y'all and argue this **** out.
Confucius
Greatest golfer to ever walk the planet doesn't flame out in majors in his early 30's. That's pretty inarguable.
Sean_Jones
If Tiger wins 4 more majors then you can start debating who the GOAT is. Until then, its Jack.
Aggie1391
The greatest golfer does however, win 25% of the tournaments he plays in.
Confucius
Number of Bay Hill and Firestone victories = GOAT
watty
AG
quote:
If Tiger wins 4 more majors then you can start debating who the GOAT is. Until then, its Jack.

Cracks me up how some people are so adamant about majors being the ONLY criteria that matters. Nothing else matters.

Why? That's arbitrary. If Jack was the greatest, why couldn't he win more Tour events? Hmmmmmmm?

Point being, it's up for debate either way, but honestly the ONLY thing the Jack crowd has is total majors. Funny how that's the one criteria they have decided is important. Overall wins, winning percentage, level of competition, level of dominance, distance between them and the pack, all that stuff apparently just doesn't matter I guess. I wonder how they will move the goalposts and change the criteria if Tiger does win 18?
Unemployed
AG
Not this chit again.
LeFraud
^
I guessing they'll use technological advances. Tigers winning percentage, lack of missed cuts AND his competition in the past 20 years set tiger apart as the GOAT.
It is pretty incredible that the GOAT doesn't swing his driver well. Hell, its my best club (or just not as bad as my others!)
93MarineHorn
For a 10 year period, Tiger really played like he was the GOAT. At one point he was the current champion in all four majors; a remarkable feat that may never be accomplished again. Since his last major victory 5 plus years ago he's slipped in status to only now being a really good player that wins multiple tournaments a year, just not majors.

I think Tiger and Jack's records are pretty even if compared to when Jack was Tiger's age. To me, Tiger must win a few more majors to be GOAT.
LeFraud
Good to see Ryan Palmer finish well today to stick around for the weekend. Birdied 17 and 18 to get to +1.
Texas A&M
As a Majors only poster, I've loved these last 5-6 years.
Harry Stone
AG
quote:

Point being, it's up for debate either way, but honestly the ONLY thing the Jack crowd has is total majors. Funny how that's the one criteria they have decided is important. Overall wins, winning percentage, level of competition, level of dominance, distance between them and the pack, all that stuff apparently just doesn't matter I guess. I wonder how they will move the goalposts and change the criteria if Tiger does win 18?

Agree. BUT Tiger is actually the one who said his criteria is Jack's majors. He has never once mentioned Sneads record.

[This message has been edited by Harry stone (edited 7/18/2014 3:19p).]
Sean_Jones
It seems kinda stupid to compare winning %'s at this point. What was Jack's winning % at 38 years old? I have no clue, but I would guess its really close to Tiger's current winning %. The super elite compare themselves by Majors, hell even Tiger admits that Majors are what distinguishes the greats. Here is Tiger vs. Jack in their first 70 majors which is how many Tiger has played. Jack's numbers are far and away better.

Jack vs. Tiger, First 70 Majors:
Wins: Jack 14, Tiger 14
Runner-ups: Jack 14, Tiger 6
Top-3s: Jack 36, Tiger 24
Top-10s: Jack 50, Tiger 38

As fas as competition goes yeah I would say right now and over the last few years the competition is much better. However 10 or so years ago when Tiger was winning all his majors the competition was nothing great. Hell he was beating guys like Bob May, Chis DiMarco, Rocco Mediate and Shaun Micheel.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I'm mad at myself for even commenting about the GOAT debate but my .02- still gonna say Jack for now because if you ask the players, they'll tell you it's the majors that matter most. 18 is still greater than 14. His total wins isn't that much more than Jack either. Also, the top end players were better in jack's time- Arnie, Player, Miller, Trevino, Watson. Tiger's main rival has been Phil and to some extent Els but no one else has more than 3 majors in this time frame. The fields are much deeper now.
watty
AG
quote:
Jack's numbers are far and away better.

Jack vs. Tiger, First 70 Majors:
Wins: Jack 14, Tiger 14
Chipotlemonger
AG
Well it ain't even the weekend yet at the major and this thread is already surpassing the US Open and Masters threads if memory serves me right.

Wonder what the difference is between this major and those other 2?
DannyDuberstein
AG
quote:
quote:
likely never be truly elite

Two majors (and half-way to three) @ 25?

I'd say chances are he becomes elite.

2 players have won 3 of the 4 majors by age 25. Jack and Tiger. Rory could join them on Sunday. Tell me that's not elite.
Furlock Bones
AG
Watty defend the sheet out of tiger.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Get 'em Watty
Aggie1391
Hell yea Watty
DannyDuberstein
AG
How about you kids go debate GOAT elsewhere?
watty
AG
So what's the general pulse of the board regarding Rory? Rooting for him to cruise to another blowout? Wanting him to lose? Wanting a tight finish between multiple golfers?

I'm a fan of Rory. Would probably prefer him to win than for DJ to catch him. If it came down to Rory vs Rickie, I'd be torn. And for some reason, d-bag issues be darned, I have a weird soft spot for Sergio. I don't really know what I *want* to happen, but I think that it sets up to be really great theater almost no matter what. Either we watch to see just how much Rory runs away, which I find interesting, or we get to see some very interesting names battle it out.
tommeehawk7
I hope he wins and then goes out and buys some bigger pants.Nice dark gray ones like Hogan wore.

[This message has been edited by tommeehawk7 (edited 7/18/2014 4:59p).]
Aggie1391
I hope Rory wins, but in a nail biter. I don't want him to be up 8 going into Sunday
Furlock Bones
AG
Yep. I prefer it be a tight finish rather than another walk away.
jj9000
AG
The order of my preference to win:

Fowler
DJ
Rory
Sergio
dodger02
AG
I stand by my statement. Find the f'in fairway off the tee with the driver and this Jack v. Big Cat threads derailment is moot.
LeFraud
Rory

Dj

Fowler
Sergio
LeFraud
Looks like weather is going to get ugly. Threesomes again tomorrow, and going off both tees. Some interesting groups:

Tiger/spieth/
Palmer/cabrera/stenson
Rory/dj/
Sergio/fowler
Ooestihizen/schwartzal/another s. American
Bradley/dufner/keegan

Tiger and rory going off at 5 am central (tiger off 10)

[This message has been edited by lefraud (edited 7/18/2014 6:18p).]
turfman80
AG
Tom Watson makes the cut. A 64 year old BADASS!!!!
Big Cat `93
AG
Hey, don't drag me into this.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.