*****The Open Championship*****

17,281 Views | 388 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Mr.Bond
Aggie1391
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
I think I even read after you hole out you can roll a putt on the green you just finished. However, you don't see pros do it due to principle I'd assume.

I think Amatuers are allowed to do that, but pros can't.

watty
AG
Yeah I'm pretty sure you can only do that in match play.
bigfoot10s
AG
That's only in match play
bigfoot10s
AG
Ernie 3 putted from 2 feet, including a back handed miss
Ag_07
AG
WTF is wrong with ESPN??

Afternoon players (Bubba, Phil, DJ) are out there on the course and the keep playing the same highlights from Rory and Tiger over and over and over in between commercial breaks followed by reporters from the desk just before more commercials.

Show the damn golf already!!!!

[This message has been edited by Ag_07 (edited 7/17/2014 8:41a).]
dcrewint
My bad I read this article but didn't read the exceptions portion. http://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/can-chip-or-putt-between-holes
HouAggie
AG
You can hit practice putts on a green after you've holed out, in stroke play.

However, the rules committe can prohibit this, typically to speed up play. I'm pretty sure the PGA Tour prohibits it. I'm guessing that the European Tour does the same.

Practice swings without a ball are permitted anywhere. In the bunker scenario, as long as Furyk's ball was out of the bunker, he can touch the sand or face of the bunker with a practice swing.
BayAg14
Ouch!

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/2CF8300E6E1101552121683279872_2555ff1647c.1.0.7335809547590189434.mp4?versionId=AC8keFQDahmnuTE9kpY28gOFHm1gmOSK

[This message has been edited by BayAg14 (edited 7/17/2014 9:03a).]
Ag_07
AG
Can't believe he hit that 2nd putt with the back of the putter like that. Not something you expect to see from the pros and certainly not a seasoned vet like Els.
Matsui
aggiebrother33
anyone see Stenson snap his wedge over his knee?? classic
bagger05
AG
quote:
7-2. During Round
A player must not make a practice stroke during play of a hole.

Between the play of two holes a player must not make a practice stroke, except that he may practice putting or chipping on or near:

a. the putting green of the hole last played,

b. any practice putting green, or

c. the teeing ground of the next hole to be played in the round, provided a practice stroke is not made from a hazard and does not unduly delay play (Rule 6-7).

Strokes made in continuing the play of a hole, the result of which has been decided, are not practice strokes.

Exception: When play has been suspended by the Committee, a player may, prior to resumption of play, practice (a) as provided in this Rule, (b) anywhere other than on the competition course and (c) as otherwise permitted by the Committee.

So yes, you can practice putting or chipping on or near the hole you just got done playing (even in stroke play).
bagger05
AG
Stenson breaking the club:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/07/henrik-stenson-golf-club
Chipotlemonger
AG
No where in that rule though does it mention a practice shot specifically. A practice stroke =/= a practice shot. Shot is with the ball.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Looks like you grabbed that straight from match play rules..not stroke play.
bagger05
AG
7-2 does not make a distinction between stroke play and match play.

As mentioned previously, there is a note that the committee may ban practice near the green of the hole just played or rolling a putt on the green just played. I would assume this is common and probably why you don't see it in PGA tournaments.

[This message has been edited by bagger05 (edited 7/17/2014 9:49a).]
Ag_07
AG
quote:
anyone see Stenson snap his wedge over his knee?? classic

Can't believe he would have the nerve to do that!! What a baby. He needs to learn how to control his temper and act like a pro and respect the game.

Oh wait...It's not Tiger. In that case, classic!!!
jj9000
AG
quote:
Can't believe he would have the nerve to do that!! What a baby. He needs to learn how to control his temper and act like a pro and respect the game.

Well, crap.

Looks like I'm going to have to have the 'changing role-models again' discussion with my kids.
Ag_07
AG
Sorry I didn't mean to derail the thread but I couldn't resist.

Carry on with the golf discussion
jj9000
AG
quote:
Sorry I didn't mean to derail the thread but I couldn't resist.

I think its part of the discussion, and illustrative of the ridiculous double standard people have for Woods.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Els stinking it up. Shot 42 on the front.
jja79
AG
ESPN covers golf so poorly. I like Strange, Azinger and North but Tirico is so annoying. The quality of production is well below any of the other broadcasts.

And nothing says Tradition like a shot of Furyk in his 5 Hour Energy Hat with about 20 sponsor tags on his shirt.
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
quote:
I think its part of the discussion, and illustrative of the ridiculous double standard people have for Woods.

I just think Tiger sounds like a dorky whiny wuss when he gets onto himself..."Awwww come on TiiiiGGGGERRRRRRRR!". I don't think he is really out of line much on the course.

Off the course, I lost respect for him when he tore his family apart by going all Caligula with a bunch of trashy hookers.

Some people let off the field stuff affect their fandom and some don't. No big deal.

[This message has been edited by God-Family-Friends-Ag FB (edited 7/17/2014 10:39a).]
AgDotCom
Tomorrow's weather: Rain. Winds 10-20mph with gusts of 35. Not sure how sustained that will be over the course of the day. If it happens, hopefully it will affect the entire field and not just the early or late starters.

Should be a huge factor if it actually goes down.
aggiebrother33
i think it's hilarious when anyone does that, because anyone who has ever played golf felt like that once before. Just never done it myself!
Ag_07
AG
Adam Scott is strokin it today. Playing very well
RAMF 95
AG
Scott and Rose are both so freaking solid. Won't be surprised to see them both end up with three or four majors.

Bubba seems so impatient in this event.
HouAggie
AG
quote:
No where in that rule though does it mention a practice shot specifically. A practice stroke =/= a practice shot. Shot is with the ball.

In the rules of golf, "stroke" means hitting or intending to hit. So it's basically what you're referring to as a shot.
Big Cat `93
AG
I really loved it this morning when ESPN was showing Tiger walking the fairway and drinking water while the leaders were putting for birdie on other holes. Thanks, ESPN, I was scared that I would miss that.
watty
AG
Eh, while I will agree with some other criticisms of the coverage, the concept of "leaders" in the first three hours of a tournament when no one is more than two or three under par is kind of pointless. The fact is, people want Tiger coverage. That's just a fact. If Tiger is on the screen, even if he's just walking, more viewers will be locked in. I watched the entire broadcast and sure, they focused on Tiger (as they should), but I didn't feel at all like I missed out on anything else important.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Isn't there a whole channel dedicated to him?
watty
AG
Online feed, yes. Not on TV though.
The D
AG
[You have been banned numerous times for this exact type of posting. -Staff]

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 7/17/2014 3:08p).]
watty
AG
It seems just a little breezy this afternoon compared to the morning. Do y'all think that's affecting the score at all? I feel like afternoon scoring is worse than morning so far
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
quote:

In the rules of golf, "stroke" means hitting or intending to hit. So it's basically what you're referring to as a shot.

I guess the ball/no ball distinction is taken care of elsewhere in the rules.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.