*****The Open Championship*****

17,276 Views | 388 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Mr.Bond
92TXAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"amateurs do not win the Open, gentlemen win the Open"
Chipotlemonger
AG
Where is that quote from?
92TXAG
AG
the movie, "The Greatest Game Ever Played"

a genuine classic...airs occasionally on the Golf Channel

the quote is from one of the best scenes in the whole movie
Chipotlemonger
AG
Been sleeping like a ****ing rock this week...been a ***** to get out of bed. I put my odds of actually getting out of bed at 5 tomorrow morning to watch the Open at 3/1 (normally get up at 6 anyways).
AgDotCom
About an hour and a half till the first tee time.....

Tuco Salamanca
Who's up?!
Tuco Salamanca
Tiger off in about 10 minutes
BarryProfit
Sunny and no wind. Someone should go way low.
watty
AG
I surprised myself and actually got up. Ready to watch Tiger go low!
LeFraud
Tiger finds bunker on #1...he had 196 to the hole with an iron off the tee
Tuco Salamanca
I keep losing the ESPN HD signal on Dish
BarryProfit
Hard to tell but looked like back wall of bunker might interfere with tigers back swing.
watty
AG
Unfortunate start for Tiger but every player this week will have to deal with the same thing at times.
Tuco Salamanca
Maybe don't hit a ****ing 6 iron off the tee next time
watty
AG
Good job not letting it become a double bogey. Not gonna question his game plan after one hole.
Tuco Salamanca
MC
LeFraud
Birdie for tiger on the par 5, +1 for his round
watty
AG
Tiger is playing decent golf. He needs to drop a few more birdies though and shoot a 69 or better because there will probably be 30 golfers that are that score or better with these conditions.
BarryProfit
Yeah he's hung in there pretty well after a very shaky start.
LeFraud
Agreed. He's gotta rethink irons off the tee if it gets wet over the weekend. He's hit his 3/5 wood good so far today.
BarryProfit
Yeah but stenson has hit an iron on all the same holes that tiger has. I think many of the guts are playing it that way.
watty
AG
Still playing well but just ever so slightly off, either with his approaches or his putts.

And right as I say that, he holes a great putt from off the green for birdie.
BarryProfit
Considering the circumstances I think it's tough to expect much more from tiger. His swing has looked pretty solid even on his misses. He's a couple of lipped putts from being two back. If he can hold things together and maybe get one more I'd have to think he'd be pleased.

[This message has been edited by Barryprofit (edited 7/17/2014 5:59a).]
Funky Winkerbean
AG
His swing looks good technically, but I think his rhythm and tempo are off. And why has he given up on the stinger?
BarryProfit
Don't know that he's needed the stinger, no wind at all. Plus he's hit his fairway woods well off the tee when he's used them.
LeFraud
3 birdies in a row, distance control has been ridiculous for a guy who hsnt played in 4 months
LeFraud
Furyk hits a bunker shot, and then takes a practice swing after hitting the shot (while still in the bunker) and hits the face of the bunker with his club. Is this a penalty?
Corporal Punishment
AG
quote:
Furyk hits a bunker shot, and then takes a practice swing after hitting the shot (while still in the bunker) and hits the face of the bunker with his club. Is this a penalty?

I hope so.
stick93
AG
I'm not a rules expert but I'm positive it's not. Rule is there to prevent testing the conditions before the shot.
LeFraud
Sergio just did the same thing, guess its alright.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
quote:

I hope so.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Sergio just did the same thing, guess its alright.

Didn't look like Sergio hit the bunker sand at all though in his post-shot motions.
watty
AG
Tiger could easily be -5 right now, but at the same time, he's got to be pretty happy with the fact that he bounced back like he did after the rough start. He's in this tournament. I expect him to contend. His swing and game looked solid.
jj9000
AG
If anyone is counting Tiger out of this Tourney, they may find themselves on the outside looking in.

The dude is right in the thick of this after entering the Open with minimal tournament play beforehand.

I thought he would struggle today.

I was wrong, and he's in position to make a move.

Who knows though, all of the other players may not be really trying out there. Is that the overall mantra?

dcrewint
As in regards to the penalty question I would say no. Even in stroke play you can test the surfaces after your shot so long as you don't hold up play. I think I even read after you hole out you can roll a putt on the green you just finished. However, you don't see pros do it due to principle I'd assume.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.