Summer Baseball 2014

34,889 Views | 249 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Foxo
dirkjones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bet Schlottman or Hendrix would get the 3rd starter role over Kent. I like Kent out of the bullpen. Tyler and Long look set for Friday and Saturday. Looks like Tyler will be draft eligible after next season.
BurnetAggie99
AJ Minter will be in the running for a weekend slot.
Foxo
AG
Fall practice will be interesting as we can barely fill two squads with position players. Lots of pitchers though.
dirkjones
AG
Yes, I would be comfortable with AJ starting also.
Foxo
AG
Team USA lost the first game to Cuba 6-3. Banks was 0 for 4. Minter went 1.1 innings with one hit.
Sea Gull
AG
I don't think Troy could catch Hendrix. In his one start, I think Troy had about 4 PBs in 1 inning. Which was high even for Troy
Sea Gull
AG
Any update on Gandy?
hstubby
Gandy's numbers.
games 13, innings pitched 24.1, hits 12, runs 4, earned runs 2, base on balls 7, strikeouts 39, wins 2, losses 1, saves 5 and ERA is 0.74
dirkjones
AG
Don't think I would blame Stein for all those passed balls. Hendrix was pumped that day and a little nervous which I believe to be the reason for the passed balls.
Sea Gull
AG
Thanks for the update. Glad to see Gandy having a great summer. Looking forward to seeing him on the hill this next spring.

As far as Hendrix and Stein, I meant it as more of a jest to Stein. Hendrix was throwing like 95 that day with an unGodly slider that he kept burying. Don't blame Stein at all.
Foxo
AG
Gandy pitched 2 innings last night in a game where his team was trailing by 5 runs or more and had his worst outing of the year 2.0 IP 3 hits, 2 walks and 2 runs to about double his era to 1.37.
hstubby
Gandy's team won 7 to 2. He came on in the 8th and finished. Did give up 2 runs in the 9th.
Sea Gull
AG
Unacceptable!

Just kidding. I've always liked Gandy...really hope he can be a major contributor next year.
Foxo
AG
But, I wonder why he didn't get a chance last year after a good summer season (but not as good as this summer season.).
Sea Gull
AG
I think he was redshirted...not sure what the reasons were
Foxo
AG
The Florida league has ended it season. 1B Hunter Melton was 2nd on his team with a 0.340 average and led the team with 3 home runs, 9 doubles, 2 triples and 33 rbis. A much better season than he had last year with Brazos Valley.
Foxo
AG
Another good outing by Rochester's Matt Kent (3-3) 2.01 era, 8.0 IP, 4 hits, 0 walks, 5 K, 1 run.
BaseballChick
Saturday's NWL Pitcher of the Night is Rochester southpaw Matt Kent, a sophomore from Texas A&M. Kent carried the Honkers to a fifth straight win, the longest streak of the season for Rochester as they edged a little closer to the top of the division.

Kent lowered his season ERA to a NWL-leading 2.01 ERA as he gave up just one run over eight strong innings. He struck out five to tie with St. Cloud's Reese Gregory for the lead in strikeouts with 57. Kent improved to 3-3 and turned in his fifth start of the season of over seven innings.
BaseballChick
PITCHERS

1. Matt Kent, Rochester Honkers (LW: 5)

Eight innings, six innings, nine innings, eight innings- those have been the lengths of Kent's latest starts, and he's baffled hitters. The southpaw from Texas A&M holds a league-leading 2.01 ERA and is tied for the league lead in strikeouts with 57 and has also already thrown a pair of complete games. His last start, a NWL Pitcher of the Performance- was an eight inning gem where he allowed just one run while striking out five.

Kent has been named NWL pitcher of the night three times this summer.
Foxo
AG
In the final regular season game of the summer:

"Mitchell Nau clubbed two home runs to carry the Matsu Miners (26-14) to an 8-4 win over the Anchorage Bucs (26-18) at Hermon Brothers Field in seven innings."

Nau has been rotating with two other catchers and has not seen much action of late: Regular season stat 0.230-4-12
Foxo
AG
Bourne 12 - Cotuit 4

Blake Allemand (Texas A&M) and Stephen Wrenn (Georgia) both had three hits. Logan Taylor (Texas A&M) led Cotuit with three hits and a run scored.
CampingAg
AG
On Sunday night Nottebrok hit a bomb over the ~30 foot high screen and hit a car on the fly where the red circle is. Maybe the longest homerun I've ever seen hit in college.

Sea Gull
AG
My.Goodness.
BreNayPop
AG
holy cow that is a bomb!!!
ColoradoMooseHerd
How long is the left field line, it looks kind of short. Non-scientific pencil and paper measuring on my screen and it seems to be very short. That is probably why they have the 30 ft wall.
Foxo
AG
Matsu lost the first Alaska League playoff game 0-14. Tyler Stubblefield got the start and the loss ... 2.2 innings, 9 hits, 7 runs, 5 earned runs, 1 walk and 1 k. Ugly loss.
dirkjones
AG
I still think Stubby was named the Alaskan Baseball League pitcher of the year last night. Pitched something like 41 innings allowing only 5 runs, 45 strikeouts and a 1.08 era, including 3 complete games. Looks pretty good to me even though he was beaten in the Alaskan world series last night.
Foxo
AG
He's had a super season. Maybe he went out and celebrated too much before the game in Fairbanks.
Foxo
AG
Retweeted by Matthew Kent
Justin Seely ‏@CoachSeely Jul 29

Congrats to @Aggie_Baseball's @RynoBirk, @markecker28 & @MK51Baseball for making the @NWLbaseball Futures Game on August 5th.

I didn't know Ecker was playing summer ball but he pitched his 1st game on July 13. Only 5 innings pitched with 3.60 era.
dirkjones
AG
Celebrated- LOL, that may be a possibility with Stubbs but also has been a long season for him and is probably ready to get home
CampingAg
AG
I didn't look at the dimensions. It didn't appear that it was shorter than the average field. A lot of room in the outfield. And the screen starts above the ~10 foot high wall and is there to protect the parking lot from baseballs. If you hit the screen it's still a HR.
Foxo
AG
Matsu was 2 and out in the Alaska League playoffs. Ryan Hendrix took the loss, although he pitched a good game.

7.0 innings, 6 hits, 2 runs, 1 earned run, 2 walks and 5 ks.

++++

In a TCL game, Gandy Stubblefield took the loss in a 2 inning relief. He struck out the side in the 8th inning but gave up 3 runs in the 9th.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Had more time to calculate the distance on the home run. It appears to be 410-415 ft. shot.
Foxo
AG
Taylor on Offensive tear during rough stretch

By Sam Blum
July 31, 2014

Amidst one of the toughest stretches in the Cotuit season, a four-game losing streak and a stretch of 27 innings with just one run scored, Logan Taylor (Texas A&M) has been the main source of offensive consistency.

The shortstop has seven hits in his past two games and has hit safely in 21-of-23 contests. In Wednesday’s 12-10 win at Hyannis, Taylor collected two RBI’s and brought his average up to .317, good for best on the team and 16th in the Cape Cod Baseball League.

“I’d say I’m just more selective at the plate, letting it get to me instead of reaching for it,” Taylor said. “Just put a good swing on a good pitch to hit.”

On Wednesday, manager Mike Roberts inserted Taylor into the lead off spot, a place in the order that Roberts has said he likes to put his best hitter. With John Norwood (Vanderbilt) not dressed to play and Rhett Wiseman (Vanderbilt) off the team due to injury, Taylor has become the top offensive threat.

“Right now he’s our most aggressive hitter,” Roberts said. “That’s the reason he was up there. Right now he’s our most consistent hitter.”

Taylor is one just a small handful of players that have been with the team since before the exhibition season. He’s seen the team have its ups and downs, and with the playoffs just one win or a Wareham loss away, Taylor has shown his reliability in the season’s most crucial stretch.

“I’m honestly just taking advantage of the off days we get,” Taylor said. “Staying off your feet and just doing the right things.”

Foxo
AG
OF Blake Kopetsky was an all star performer for Brazos Valley last year and started this season as their 3 hole hitter. He started the year in a long slump barely hitting 0.100. Lately, he has been on a tear and has raised his batting average to 0.221. He also has stolen 14 bases in 17 tries.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.