Summer Baseball 2014

34,862 Views | 249 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Foxo
Hop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
quote:
Don't need a super star here. . . Would like to see a guy make every routine play. Gotta have consistency at that spot. Circa Kenny Jackson in 2011. Not a natural SS by any stretch but was an anchor defensively.

Yes, Jackson was steady but he also had a quick turn at second base if I recall. The fact that A&M finished last in the SEC in double plays by a significant amount is probably one of the most glaring stats that hurt the pitchers. I looked it up a few weeks ago and Arkansas turned something like 25 more DP's than A&M in 2014. It was an astonishing number.
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
Too many posts to quote in this linked thread.

Again, you haven't answered the question. What is the agenda?

Let me help you. My agenda is talking about Aggie baseball with fellow Aggie baseball junkies. In good times, I'll talk about what is good and why it's good. When it's bad, I'll talk about what is bad and why it's bad. If there's reason for optimism, I discuss the optimism. When there are perceived concerns, I'll talk about the concerns...and I'll do it with maroon-tinted glasses.

As I've said on other threads, I'm optimistic about next season because A&M fared well in the draft with Larkins, Hill, and a couple of other arms that can boost the staff next season. I'm still concerned that the program doesn't have an above average defensive shortstop in this era of small ball. I know that the staff has been looking for one, but it's late.

So do I have an agenda for pointing out the deficiency at shortstop, or do I have an agenda when I say next year's staff could be one of the best in recent years?

Or, am I just talking Aggie baseball...period?

Shane Minks
AG
C'mon, Hop.. He's talking about Hinsley.. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. (I didn't want to interject in the argument/debate on this thread because I'm enjoying reading from the sidelines...but it was getting a little slow and off topic).

And for the record, I agree on needing a SS in the dead bat era...one of the things that stood out the most to me while watching the CWS was how dern near ALL of the routine plays were made...and quite a few good/great ones. I was hoping Allemand could be that guy (and I still believe he can be).
Sandman98
AG
Recruits, 2015 pitching, and a shortstop? Something is missing from your agenda. Was that supposed to be a Jedi mind trick?

Foxo
AG
Allemand is not getting a shot at ss in summer ball, playing 2nd and 3rd. Logan is alternating between ss, 3rd and rf. Choruby is playing outfield.
Foxo
AG
Gandy Stubblefield (2-1-4 saves-0.87 era) got the win going 3 innings, 1 hit, 2 walks, 0 runs 6Ks.)
Goose06
AG
I'd like to see Allemand get some time in CF/LF.
Foxo
AG
Losing Bratsen and Statum at the same time does leave a hole in center. Maybe one of the fish will come through.
zagman
AG
I feel Blake Allemand would be wasted in the outfield. Allemand at ss and try Taylor at 3rd. Maybe we can close the hole between them.

Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
Foxo
AG
Bomber @LoganNottebrok7 slams 9 home runs over the fence to win the 2014 TCL #HOMERUNDERBY!
Expand

Memphis 7
See, that's not GR.

GR didn't hit one home run in the home run derby.

but he was the game MVP. (2/3 with a HR)

listen, I'm not arguing the kid should have gotten 100 at-bats and the nod at first base, we don't know. AND THAT'S THE PROBLEM.

what was it 6, or 8 at-bats? with the offensive production that team had at the first half of the season?

I just don't see how anyone can not chalk that up as a mistake.

it doesn't define childress 100% but he blew that one. he did, it happens.

some coaches just overvalue BP,(or HR derbies - usually former pitchers) maybe this is Childress IDK, still guessing.

it might have been arm strength from LF wasn't good enough. but still injury, or DH, or PH. 8 at-bats?

stand by it all though...

http://mobile.texags.com/Forums/8/Topics/2285932

"G.R. Hinsley - Paris Junior College

Howdy, Ags. Normally I just visit the zoo but I follow Region XIV (JuCo) Baseball and I thought I'd share since it's relevant...

Hinsley committed to the Ags a few weeks ago. He's a right-handed first baseman who 'could' play 2B with some polishing, I'm not sure where the Ags see him but I can't imagine him not being in the lineup.

Was 2nd in conf last year in BA and 1st in several other categories. Blew everyone away in OBP (Barely finished below .500)

Legit hitter, new bats separate him from the pack as he does things the right way. Hits the ball all over the field, amazing plate discipline. In short, I don't know much about the Aggie Depth Chart but I can't imagine him not being one of the toughest outs in the lineup next year if not the entire SEC.

I expect this thread to get bumped next year around this time... Great get."
rallydawg
AG
Unsure if this is relevant to OP, but, our lack of DP's this year would appear to be a fundamental problem or a hand speed problem. None of our infielders seemed to have the quickness needed to make even some routine DP's. sometimes s**t happens in baseball and I expect to see an improvement this next year. Gig 'Em, Woof Woof
Foxo
AG
TCL Allstar game. Nottebrok wins homerun derby easily and Hinsley is game MVP.

quote:
Nottebrok wins Homerun Derby, Hinsley named MVP as Bombers shine in All-Star Game
#27 G.R. Hinsley was named MVP of the 2014 TCL All-Star Game after going 2-for-3 with a homerun.

Bryan-College Station, TX (July 8, 2014) – The 2014 Texas Collegiate League All-Star Game presented by Cellucor, Brazos Bingo, Program Insurance Group, Burger King, and Sterling Auto Group featured 11 players from the Brazos Valley Bombers’ roster. The Bombers represented the North Team who came out victorious against the South Team by a score of 7-3 Tuesday night.

“It was a lot of fun,” said Curt Dixon, Bombers head coach as well as head coach of the North All-Stars. “We had a good showing of scouts in the stands tonight, a good crowd, a great homerun derby followed by a great All-Star Game, and it was good for the North Team to come out on top.”

Before the game, the 2014 TCL Homerun Derby presented by Brazos Bingo featured two Bombers in third baseman Logan Nottebrok and first baseman G.R. Hinsley. Nottebrok hit seven long balls in the first round, effectively earning a bye into the finals after it took other finalist and Victoria General Cedric Vallieres two rounds to total seven homeruns. Vallieres would hit first in the championship, totaling eight homeruns, but Nottebrok would easily claim the title of 2014 TCL Homerun Derby Champion after hitting nine homeruns with six outs to spare.

Unable to go yard in the homerun derby, Hinsley would redeem himself early in the All-Star Game by hitting a solo shot over the left field fence to give the North Team a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first. Hinsley would be named the MVP of the game after going 2-for-3 at the plate.

“After not hitting a homerun in the homerun derby, I was a little bummed,” Hinsley said. “Coming out and getting two hits and a homerun in the first at bat definitely made up for not hitting any in the homerun derby.”

All six Bomber pitchers elected to the All-Star squad—Cody Brannon, Garrett Harris, Zach Girrens, Erick Polivka, Andre Shewcraft, and Nick Johnson—would appear in the game, giving up a combined six hits and one run in six innings of work between them while shutting down the South Team’s offense as the North continued to compile runs and was able to cruise to a win.

The Bombers have Wednesday off, but will return to action Thursday night against the Acadiana Cane Cutters at 7:05 p.m. at Fabacher Field in Youngsville, La.
Foxo
AG
Matsu's Ryan Hendrix last night:

7.0 innings, 2 hits, 1 run, 6 walks, 7 Ks, no decision. Matsu's leading pitcher in innings pitched at 27. Now 1-1 with 5.0 era. His 18 walks in 27 innings will not sit well with Childress.
dirkjones
AG
Jason Jester continues to be "lights out" as he keeps his era to 0.00 in the last 5 outings.
Foxo
AG
Rochester Honkers ‏@RochHonkers 10h

NWL All-Stars announced!! Congratulations to Matt Kent and Jeff Campbell! They will be representing the Rochester... http://fb.me/6AzgRJECY
Foxo
AG
Sanford River Rats ‏@FCSLRiverRats Jul 10

Another monster shot to dead centerfield from Hunter Melton leaves the park for a 3 run home run! Rats lead the... http://fb.me/2YXDi73RA

[u]All-Star Game:[/u]

Sanford River Rats

Hunter Melton with a two-run opposite field shot to right extends the North All-Star lead to 3-0 in the bottom of the third.

[This message has been edited by Foxo (edited 7/11/2014 8:51p).]
Foxo
AG
Cape Cod Times Stars of the Day for July 9, 2014

Hitting: Blake Allemand (Texas A&M) went 3-for-5 with two doubles, a run scored and three RBIs in Bourne’s win over Hyannis. Allemand now has nine RBIs on the season and is hitting .239.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Foxo, thanks again for keeping us updated on what the AGGIES are doing in summer ball.

Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Foxo
AG
Matsu Miners: Tyler Stubblefield (4-0-1.26 era) went the full 9 innings for his 4th win ... 4 hits, 1 run, 1 walk, 9 Ks and 105 pitches

quote:
TUBBLEFIELD DOMINATES

Left-hander Tyler Stubblefield of Texas A&M made easy work of the Anchorage Glacier Pilots on Monday night, throwing a complete-game, four-hitter to propel the Mat-Su Miners to a 5-1 Alaska Baseball League victory at Mulcahy Stadium.

Stubblefield (4-0) struck out nine, walked just one and threw 74 strikes among his 105 pitches. He has won four straight starts and Monday lowered his earned-run average to 1.26.

The Miners, who stretched their National League lead over the Pilots to three games, unloaded for four runs in the fourth inning, when Cameron Frost delivered an RBI double, Matt Decker hit a two-run home run and Hunter Simmons furnished an RBI single.
The Glacier Pilots’ losing streak reached seven games. Matt Decker touched Stubblefield for a third-inning solo home run.

[This message has been edited by Foxo (edited 7/16/2014 1:50p).]
ftworthag02
AG
Not that it applies to this season but is boomer playing summer ball and if so how is he doing?
dirkjones
AG
Boomer is playing for the Falmouth Commodores in the Cape Cod League. Currently batting .205 with 2 rbi's through 11 games.
Foxo
AG
Matt Kent went 9 innings to get the win for Rochester ... 9.0 IP, 7 hits, 2 runs, 0 earned runs, 0 walks and 9 ks. For the year, he is (2-3) 2.40 era, 8 games, 7 starts, 48.2 IP, 38 hits, 6 walks and 48 ks.

quote:
(Rochester, Minn.)– Matt Kent pitched brilliantly in the Honkers’ 9-2 win over rivals Mankato MoonDogs at Mayo Field Tuesday afternoon.

A sloppy first inning for both teams had three unearned runs cross the plate. Tyler Sullivan (Pacific) grounded a ball sharply to Reid Roper (Illinois) who was unable to field the ball cleanly, resulting in his fourth error of the season. Sullivan would come around to score from first base after shortstop Brett Synek (Evansville) doubled to the right field corner. Derek Umphres (New Mexico State) also added a solo home run in the inning with two outs, getting the MoonDogs to an early 2-0 lead – it was Umphres’ second home run of the season.

The Honkers had some help cutting the lead in half from Mankato. Alex Schultz (Nebraska Omaha) led off the inning with a single and three errors later, scored on a ground ball fielder’s choice off the bat of Jeff Campbell (North Dakota).

Rochester took the lead in the bottom of the third inning after Connor Schaefbauer’s (Minnesota) double tied the game at two. Campbell followed Schaefbauer with an RBI single into right field, pushing the Honkers into the lead, 3-2, off MoonDogs starter and All-Star Cord Cockrell (Southern Mississippi).

In the fifth, the Honkers smacked back-to-back home runs for the first time all season. Roper hit a three-run home run, his third of the season – all three coming in the second half. Roper has 13 RBIs in his last eight games. Roper’s home run prompted Mankato to make a pitching change, turning to reliever Austin Warner (Bellarmine).

John Schuknecht (Cal Poly) followed up Roper with a homer of his own, his second of the summer, extending the Honkers’ lead to 7-2.

For the Honkers, and after a busy first inning, NWL All-Star Matt Kent (Texas A&M) settled in, stalling a MoonDogs lineup featuring two All-Stars themselves. After allowing back-to-back singles to lead off the third inning, Kent set down 13 straight batters.

Corey Hassel (Oklahoma State) piled onto to the Honkers’ lead with a solo home run in the bottom of the seventh, his fourth of the season, tying him for the team-lead with Campbell.

Roper drove in another run in the bottom of the eighth, his 22nd RBI this season – capping a big afternoon for the Honkers offensively, scoring eight runs on 14 hits.

Kent made his way to the mound to record the game’s final three outs and finish the first Honkers’ nine-inning complete game of the season. Kent pitched around a lead-off double en route to the complete game. He ended the afternoon pitching all nine innings, allowing two runs, both unearned, on seven hits no walks and nine strikeouts. The nine strikeouts give him 48 this summer which moves him into the league’s lead.

++++++

Ty Schlottman went 6 innings for Victoria vs Brazos Valley for a no decision .. 6.0 IP, 6 hits, 2 runs, 1 walk and 1 K. One of the hits was a home run for Logan Nottebrok, his 3d of the year and 1st since his first game.

++++++

Hunter Melton ... Florida League Player of the Week ... 0.545 average 4 runs 1 double, 2 home runs, 5 rbi, 1.180 slugging.

[This message has been edited by Foxo (edited 7/15/2014 9:40p).]

[This message has been edited by Foxo (edited 7/15/2014 9:45p).]
Lance Uppercut
AG
MELTON
Foxo
AG
Andrew Vinson is a reliever with the San Luis Obispo Blues of the California Collegiate League. He has appeared in 10 games with 1 win and 3 saves. 14.1 IP, 17 K, 8 hits, 2 walks, 0.160 baa.
Foxo
AG
In one of his better starts for Matsu, Ryan Hendrix (2-1) went 7 innings with 3 hits, 1 run, 0 earned run, 2 walks and 4 ks to lower his era to 3.97. For the year, he has 7 starts, 34 innings, 26 hits, 20 walks and 35 Ks.
Hop
Staff
AG
I thought Hendrix had the second best arm on the team last year next to Minter. If he gets better control in the offseason, he could be a good one.
MMantle
AG
Hendrix......best breaking ball on the team......nasty.

Big, big upside.
BurnetAggie99
Hendrix needs to just gain more control. The arm is there, he has a mid 90's fastball and a deadly curve.He also throws a pretty good cchange up as well.
Foxo
AG
Matsu is giving Hendrix a chance. He has more starts than anyone on the roster and is 2nd to Tyler in innings pitched.

I thought that Howard might compete for a starter's role but has been a reliever for Matsu ... and doing well in that role
hstubby
Howard is back home and has been for several weeks.
Foxo
AG
Hendrix, another good win for Matsu. 7.0 IP, 4 hits, 0 walks, 0 runs, 7 Ks (3-1) 3.21 era. After a slow start, he has turned his season around.

Freeman, a win for Wisconsin Rapids. 6.0 IP, 6 hits, 1 walk, 2 earned runs, 8 Ks (2-1) 3.64 era.

Kent, a no decision for Rochester. 6.0 IP, 6 hits, 0 er, 1 run, 4 ks (2-3) 2.14 era.
dirkjones
AG
Gandy Stubblefield continues to have a good summer. Has pitched 23.1 innings allowing only 4 runs, 7 walks and 37 k's, posting a 0.77 era.
Foxo
AG
Cape Cod Stats:

L. Taylor 36 games 0.295-4-16
B. Allemand 27 games 0.258-0-14
B. White 18 games 0.242-0-4
Lance Uppercut
AG
quote:
Hendrix......best breaking ball on the team......nasty.

Hendrix was dubbed the 'next big thing' by the staff in one of the pregame interviews this past season. They really talked up his potential.

I'm assuming T. Stubblefield and Long on the weekends next season, but I wonder if Kent will be vying for a spot beyond Tuesdays.

[This message has been edited by Lance Uppercut (edited 7/23/2014 11:26p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.