Summer Baseball 2014

34,885 Views | 249 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Foxo
Foxo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Redshirt Freshman Kaylor Chafin who has been steadily improving for the Wisconsin Woodchucks got his 1st start and went 6 innings for a no decision .... 5 hits, 2 runs, 1 earned run, 0 walks and 5 ks. Lowered his era to 2.66.

1B Hunter Melton had another 3 hit 3 rbi night raising his average to 0.373 with 22 rbi's in 14 games.

Ryan Hendrix, who has struggled for Matsu got the win going 6.0 innings with 3 hits, 1 run, 2 walks and 4 Ks. ERA improves to 6.19

Hayden Howard in another 1 inning relief for Matsu gave up 2 hits but no runs and lowered his era to 0.79.

Ty Schlottman is 2-0 with 1.35 era for Victoria after 3 games.

[This message has been edited by Foxo (edited 6/28/2014 9:48p).]
Foxo
AG
If there was a question about Hinsley coming back ....

G.R. Hinsley ‏@ghinsley_21 4h

Happy birthday to the future roommate @blake_allemand1 hope you have a good day bud!
Foxo
AG
In Team USA's 1st loss, Minter pitched two innings of relief with 3 walks but no runs. He is scheduled for the start vs the Chinese on July 5.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Thanks for the updates.

Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Foxo
AG
Ty Schlottman 8.0 IP 4 hits 0 runs 1 walk 4 k
Ty is now 3-0 with 0.96 era for Victoria.
Foxo
AG
Interesting ... big G.R. Hinsley is playing second base tonight for Brazos Valley.
Hop
Staff
AG
Yeah, I saw that. In fact, he had a nice flip at 2B on a double play they showed on KBTX. It will be interesting if they play him more there, or if that was a one-time thing. He went 1-for-3 and another walk. He leads the league in walks. Here's his ranking for various offensive stats:

No. 1 in TCL in walks
No. 6 in TCL in batting average
No. 3 in TCL in RBI's
No. 4 in TCL in runs scored
No. 8 in TCL in stolen bases

It's pretty rare to see a hitter be a leader in so many different categories...both in run production and run scoring...average and on-base percentage...stolen bases. The only thing he hasn't done compared to last year is the power. He doesn't have any homers this season so far. FYI, Stubblefield came on and inherited a bases loaded situation in the 8th of a tie game. It appears he walked in the winning run before getting a strikeout to end the inning. He has an ERA of 1.08.

Goose06
AG
I can't imagine the outlash on this board if Hinsley comes in next year and leads our team in offensive production or is even top 5. RC better hope we make the CWS because there will be some extremely frustrated fans reflecting on what could have been with the 2014 team...
Foxo
AG
Ryan Hendrix 4 inning start for Matsu 4 hits 3 walks 3 earned runs. ERA now 6.3 with 1-1 record.
dfphotos
ColoradoMooseHerd
quote:
It's pretty rare to see a hitter be a leader in so many different categories...

WTF? Seriously, are you related to G.R. It is very common for the top hitters to be leaders in many categories.

I just looked at one hitter.

A Rondon
1st in Batting Avg
1st in Runs Scored
1st in Hits
5th in Triples
9th in Walks
1st in Strikout/AB Ratio (4/111)
2nd in Stolen Bases
1st in Stolen Base Success Ratio (17/18)

This is not out of the ordinary for several players to lead in most categories, especially in a the TCL

ColoradoMooseHerd
Just looked at the second hitter

J. Pacchioli
2nd in Batting Avg
2nd in Runs Scored
3rd in Hits
5th in Triples
1st in Home Runs
8th in RBI
4th in Walks
10 stolen bases and only caught out once
Sandman98
AG
quote:
I can't imagine the outlash on this board if Hinsley comes in next year and leads our team in offensive production or is even top 5. RC better hope we make the CWS because there will be some extremely frustrated fans reflecting on what could have been with the 2014 team...

Geez...a good performance in 2015 means he would have been the savior in 2014 (on a already productive offensive team minus execution problems)?

It needs to be said that the guys ahead of him in those categories are from TAMIU, Northwoods U, Lehigh, FIU, Southern Miss and the like. Does that mean anything? Not really, except to to suggest that we should stop acting like production in that league means he's the missing link.

Besides Schlottmann, The pitching leaders with ERA's under 3.00 call TAMUCC, TAMU Kingsville, SE OKST, Longwood U, U of Pacific, and St Louis U home (total of only 9 pitchers with an ERA under 3.0).

I too hope he's great in 2015 if he earns those AB's in the fall and spring.

ColoradoMooseHerd
Let's look at #3 to just have fun

C. Contreras
3rd in Batting Avg
3rd in Hits
1st in Doubles
10th in Triples
11th in HRs
4th in RBI

ColoradoMooseHerd
On the Bombers - Hinsley has played the most games because he was not on the travel squad. But if you look at other players that more recently joined the team

Nottebrok - Only played in 9 games, so not included in leaders
Batting Avg .424
Runs 12
Hits 14
Doubles 1
Home Runs 2 (2nd in League)
RBI 11
Strikeout Ratio (SO/AB) (2/33 or 6.1%)
Sac Fly 2

Now if you extrapolated those stats for the 26 games that Hinsley played.

Runs 34
Hits 40
Home Runs 8
RBI 31
HBP 8
SF 5

I rounded down in all the categories. But Nottebrok would be leading in almost every category but he was playing for A&M while Hinsley was playing here.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Also Caldwell of the Bombers has only played in 7 games, but is batting just under .500 and putting up great stats. He is a an early favorite for the Golden Spikes award next year.
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
both in run production and run scoring

I guess you missed this part. I surely the hell hope that the leading hitter in the TCL with speed at the top of the order is among the leaders in run scoring categories like runs scored, stolen bases, walks, etc.

My point is that Hinsley is hitting clean-up in a run production role (RBI) and he is very high in both run scoring categories and run production categories. He drives in runs. He gets on-base via the walk. He steals bases. He scores runs.

In your first example, that kid is high in all run scoring categories. He only has 8 RBI's. I guess you didn't understand my major point.
Foxo
AG
I will try not to bring up G.R. Hinsley's name again.
Hop
Staff
AG
Why not? He's somebody worth watching this summer like all of the other A&M players.

Mark Fairchild
AG
I really do not understand the negativity about one of our players. You would think that all AGGIES would be pleased to see a current player having success. I just don't get it.

Foxo
AG
quote:
Why not? He's somebody worth watching this summer like all of the other A&M players.

Yep. I agree.
Sandman98
AG
quote:
I really do not understand the negativity about one of our players. You would think that all AGGIES would be pleased to see a current player having success. I just don't get it.

I'm amazed at how badly you miss the point. What on earth gave you the idea that we wanted him to do poorly or would be upset if he does well? This is about a player the board and one of its employees has chosen to use as a tool to bash RC and its more than silly. I know you prefer an echo chamber but there is another side to the debate.

[This message has been edited by Sandman98 (edited 7/3/2014 10:08p).]
Foxo
AG
At about the halfway mark:

Alaska League:
Mitchell Nau 0.179-2-7
Hayden Howard (11.1 IP) 0-0-0.79 era
Tyler Stubblefield (18.2 IP) 2-0-1.44 era
Ryan Hendris (20.0 IP) 1-1-6.30 era

Florida League:
Hunter Melton 0.338-3-24

West Coast League:
Nick Choruby 0.260-0-6

Mark Fairchild
AG
Sandman, either way, bad bull.

Sandman98
AG
quote:
Sandman, either way, bad bull.

Its good bull to use ridiculous arguments to bury an Aggie coach and bad bull to use facts and context about the Aggie player?

Makes sense.

I've said from the beginning that there are REAL debates to be had about RC. The Hinsley angle is not one of them.
Foxo
AG
Hunter Melton went 5-1-3-1 and took to the mound to pitch the last two innings of the game and get his 1st win. He also has a save in his 2.2 innings of scoreless pitching.
Foxo
AG
Dick Fox ‏@DickFox39 1m
#aggiebaseball GR Hinsley, Logan Nottebrok, Gandy Stubblefield and Ty Schlottman picked for the TCL all star game #gigem
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
chosen to use as a tool to bash RC

I'm not bashing Childress. And on this thread, we're talking about Hinsley's summer numbers. There's no agenda other than talking about A&M players' summer numbers. Your comments are the only ones on this thread with an agenda outside of summer ball discussions.
Sandman98
AG
I know you don't believe I have an agenda. Either that or you aren't reading my posts. The agenda I have a problem with, which aligns with yours exposed in other threads, was presented again on THIS thread. Not by you this time, but it showed up.

It always does.
Foxo
AG
More summer stats at the halfway mark ...

NWL-Wisconsin Rapid Rafters:
Jason Freeman (15.1 IP) 1-1-4.20
NWL-Wisconsin Woodchucks:
Kaylor Chafin (20.1 IP) 0-1-2.65
Nick Banks 0.286-2-9 (9 games)
NWL-Lacrosse:
Ryne Birk 0.305-1-17
Ronnie Gideon ... disability list 2 games
NWL-Rochester:
Matt Kent (26.2 IP) 0-2-2.36

Cape Cod-Cotuit:
Logan Taylor 0.261-3*-12* (*Leads team)
A.J. Minter (7.2 IP) 0-0-2.34
Cape Cod-Brewster:
Blake Allemand 0.226-3-12

TCL-Brazos Valley
G.R. Hinsley 0.306-0-20
Logan Nottebrok 0.415-2-11
Blake Kopetsky 0.125-0-9

TCL-Victoria
JB Moss 0.167-0-3
Ty Schlottman (28.0 IP) 3-0-0.96* (*leads league)

TCL-Woodlands
Gandy Stubblefield (17.2 IP) 1-1 4 saves 27 Ks

Hop
Staff
AG
Please enlighten me to my agenda...just so I know.

Sandman98
AG
^

Too many posts to quote in this linked thread.

http://mobile.texags.com/Forums/8/Topics/2483803?page=1
Lance Uppercut
AG
I'll be interested to see what Schlottmann's role is on the team next season. He had a really good 2014 and has continued that success into the summer. The lefty group of Kent, Schlottmann, and Minter will be good to have.

The staff considered Melton a pitcher first when he was recruited. I wonder if we'll see him on the mound next season.
Foxo
AG
Northwoods League:

La Crosse ... Ryne Birk went 5-2-3-1 to raise his average to 0.322.

Rochester ... Hard luck lefty Matt Kent took his 3rd loss. He went 8.0 innings giving up 5 hits, 0 walks, 2 runs and 12 K's. He is now 1-3 with an era of 2.34. Batters are hitting 0.180 against him.

quote:
Matt Kent (Texas A&M) pitched well again for the Honkers, but received little help from Honkers bats Saturday night. Kent moved quickly through his eight innings pitched, allowing just five hits and walking none. Unfortunately, two of the Bucks’ hits were solo home runs by David Kerian (Illinois) to lead off the second inning and Mikal Hill (North Carolina at Charlotte) in the third. Hill’s home run was his second of the season and first since homering on opening night on May 27 at Mayo Field.

It took the hot-hitting Honkers some time to record their first hit against righty Landon Simpson (Arkansas) on Saturday. Simpson retired the first nine Honkers he faced until Connor Schaefbauer (Minnesota) led off the bottom of the fourth inning with an infield single to Bucks shortstop Hill. Alex Schultz (Nebraska Omaha) followed and doubled deep to right center field and Schaefbauer came around to score from first base. The Honkers could not score Schultz from second but still managed to cut the Bucks’ lead in half, trailing 2-1 heading to the fifth inning.

Kent continued to pitch well, retiring nine straight Bucks until a Pat MacKenzie (Central Michigan) bunt single in the sixth inning. Kent also struck out a season-high 12 batters in his eight innings of work – 12 strikeouts is the second most by a Honkers pitcher this season in a single game.

Alaska League:

Matsu ... Tyler Stubblefield pitched 8.0 innings giving up 7 hits, 1 run, 2 walks and 3 K's to go 3-0. Among league starters, he has the lowest era at 1.35. Reliever Hayden Howard has the lowest league era at 0.79.
Foxo
AG
NWL Pitcher of the Night:

Rochester’s Matt Kent pitched one heck of a game last night for the Honkers. Unfortunately for him, he was saddled with the loss for the Honkers. A junior from Texas A&M by way of Waco, TX, Matt allowed just two runs over eight innings of work yesterday. He didn’t walk a batter and he fanned 12 Waterloo Bucks. He now has a 1-3 record this summer, but he’s also sporting a nifty 2.34 ERA in 34.2 innings pitched. This is also his third summer with the Honkers.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.