Summer Baseball 2014

34,882 Views | 249 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Foxo
dirkjones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think if we have the luxury of having 2 hard throwing closers, 1 left handed and the other right handed, good things are bound to happen.
Shane Minks
AG
Minter was coming off a surgery.. He was never given anywhere close to 5 innings of work this season (by design, I'm sure). Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him as a weekend starter next season, but I don't think you can go wrong either way (starter or closer). He certainly has the stuff to be dominant in both roles.

http://mobile.texags.com/Forums/8/Topics/2324918

[This message has been edited by Shane Minks (edited 6/18/2014 10:09p).]
BurnetAggie99
Good insight Shane, I wasnt aware he coming of surgery. He's definitely got the stuff and throws hard. Not many lefties have that kind of velocity. In the past watching him pitch it seemed he started to lose some of his stuff after a couple of innings, which could be why he had surgery. He was nails filling in for Jester this year. I've always followed AJ and I'm a fan. Like I said not many lefties out there that throw hard like he does. I felt A&M was very fortunate to get him to campus because he was highly rated and was dominant in HS.
Foxo
AG
Nottebrook made his debut with Brazos Valley last night as the DH and had 3 hits in 4 at bats including 2 big flies.
Jumpbackattack
Great game by Aggie Baseball players!

http://www.kettleers.org/2014/06/texas-am-aggies-power-cotuit-to-third-striaght-win-as-taylor-minter-shine/

[This message has been edited by Jumpbackattack (edited 6/19/2014 1:43p).]
Jumpbackattack
Another good outing by Minter and Taylor!

http://www.kettleers.org/2014/06/missed-opportunities-in-8th-and-9th-inning-halt-cotuits-winning-streak-in-5-4-loss-to-bourne/

[This message has been edited by Jumpbackattack (edited 6/19/2014 1:49p).]
Foxo
AG
A tweet:
Good luck with USA tryouts @Nick_Banks4 go show'em what being an Aggie is all about & don't forget your sunglasses 😎
Foxo
AG
Taylor started the season with Cotuit at short but has been playing third of late.

He got his first home run of the season tonight and raised his BA to 0.345. Also has played RF.

[This message has been edited by Foxo (edited 6/19/2014 8:59p).]
Foxo
AG
Nottebrok's second game with Brazos Valley:
30 Nottebrok,DH 5-2-4-3
Now hitting 0.778.

After six games, 1B Hunter Melton is hitting 0.360 for Sanford. He also pitched 0.2 innings last night and got the save.
Foxo
AG
Banks Heads to USA Baseball Training Camp

http://www.aggieathletics.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27300&ATCLID=209525927

CNT: 29 players report on Friday

http://web.usabaseball.com/article.jsp?ymd=20140620&content_id=80740230&vkey=news_usab

[This message has been edited by Foxo (edited 6/20/2014 4:45p).]
Super12
Take a look at Melton after tonight. 4 for 5 . 6 RBI 2 HR
Leads the league in RBI with 16. Second in league avg with .433. Funny how when kids go off and play and get some quality instruction and having fun how they produce..
Super12
Leads the league in RBI with 16. Second in league avg with .433. Funny how when kids go off and play and get some quality instruction and having fun how they produce..
Super12
dirkjones
AG
Glad to see Melton is connecting with the ball but I really doubt anybody has changed his all or nothing type swing.
Doubleday
The players really don't get any instruction in the summer. The coach fills out the lineup card and they roll out and play.
Foxo
AG
Melton is having a good summer. Last summer, he did not, and ended up riding the pine with Brazos Valley. Maybe he has decided to go back to swinging all out. I think that was missing last year as he struggled. With Melton, Nottebrok and Hinsley doing well so far, perhaps we can find a new quality first baseman.
dirkjones
AG
Foxo, Melton is always all out. Was just missing it in the Spring. Will be a good competition next year, hopefully RC will have to find a place for all 3 in the lineup.
Foxo
AG
You may be right but I had the impression that he had cut back on his swing last year.
ColoradoMooseHerd
There is little to no instruction in summer league. The coaches that coach these teams are not quality instructors. Often they are more like baby sitters.
Foxo
AG
And you know this how?
Foxo
AG
Team USA's first game vs Catawba All-Stars ..

Nick Banks (Texas A&M) and Blake Trahan (Louisiana Lafayette) also had a pair of RBIs in the contest, with Banks notching three hits.
Foxo
AG
Tyler Stubblefield started for Matsu and went 5 innings 2 hits and 11 Ks. His season era is now 1.54.

Hayden Howard came in for 1 inning of relief and gave up 1 hit with 1k. His season era is now 0.96.

Neither pitcher gave up a walk or a run.
Foxo
AG
bv_bombers ‏@bv_bombers 1m

A big congrats to Logan Nottebrok @LoganNottebrok7 for being name the @TCLBaseball player of the week!
Foxo
AG
Ty Schlottman went 7 innings with 5 hits, 2 ER, 0 walks and 4 ks for Victoria. His season era is 1.35

Jason Freeman went 7 innings with 6 hits, 3 runs, 2 walks and 5 Ks. His season era is 4.20.

Reliever Kaylor Chafin after a slow start for the Wisconsin Woodchucks is improving His era has dropped to 3.64 after 12 innings pitched.

LF Nick Choruby is hitting 0.300 for Kitsap.

1B Hunter Melton is hitting 0.348 for Sanford. He leads the team with 2 home runs.

RF Logan Taylor is hitting 0.293 for Cotuit.

2B/3B Blake Allemand is hitting 0.200 for Bourne.

C Mitchell Nau is hitting 0.161 for Matsu after 10 games.
CampingAg
AG
Thanks for the updates, Foxo.
dirkjones
AG
AJ Minter is also playing for Cotuit. 2.34 ERA after 7.2 innings.
Interesting to see that our ss is playing primarlily rf lately for Cotuit. Also see that Allemand has been playing primarily 3rd for Bourne.
Hop
Staff
AG
Lack of a natural defensive SS is the one glaring hole in the next year's roster.
Foxo
AG
Team USA ... A.J. Minter pitched 3 innings in relief ... 1 hit and 2 ks.

Nick hitting 0.364 after 11 at bats.
BaseballChick
Matt Kent named Northwood's League Pitcher of the Night after 7 IP with no runs on 2 hits, 1 BB, and 4 Ks.

(Rochester, Minn.)– The Honkers completed the first half sweep of the Eau Claire Express.

There were 1,205 people in attendance to watch Matt Kent’s (Texas A&M) brilliant start. In his first two starts this season, Kent was the hard-luck loser twice. Wednesday night, Kent kept the Express off the scoreboard in his seven innings on the mound. Kent allowed just two hits and one walk and struck out four batters.
BaseballChick
Here is how Perfect Game ranks the competition amongst the various summer leagues(best at top)

Team USA
Cape Cod
Northwoods
New England Collegiate
West Coast
Alaska
California Collegiate
Coastal Plain
Perfect Game Collegiate
Prospect
Cal Ripken Sr.
Valley
Great Lakes
Texas Collegiate
Florida Collegiate
Jayhawk
Atlantic Collegiate
Futures
MINK
New York Collegiate
Southern California
Far West
Hawaii Collegiate

[This message has been edited by BaseballChick (edited 6/28/2014 12:44p).]
Jacob_House 27
quote:
Lack of a natural defensive SS is the one glaring hole in the next year's roster.

Don't need a super star here. . . Would like to see a guy make every routine play. Gotta have consistency at that spot. Circa Kenny Jackson in 2011. Not a natural SS by any stretch but was an anchor defensively.
OnlyForNow
AG
AS were you House.

Got any eligibility left?
BurnetAggie99
Need to find another Jose Duran
Foxo
AG
1B Hunter Melton leads his team and is 3rd in the Florida league with a 0.352 batting average. He also leads the league with 19 rbi's in 13 games.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Foxo, thanks for keeping us informed about summer ball. I really appreciate it.

Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.