This Weekend in the SEC (4/18 - 4/21)

30,316 Views | 468 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Sean98
jkag89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SEC Standings

All Times Central - The Poll used D1 Baseball

Thursday April 18th
Final: Florida 5 - #13 Vandy 10 Box Score
#1 Fightin' Texas Aggies at #18 Bama (PPD to 4/19 due to rain)

Friday April 19th
Final: #1 Fightin' Texas Aggies 10 - #18 Bama 5 Box Score
Final: #1 Fightin' Texas Aggies 18 - #18 Bama 9 (DH) Box Score
Final: Ole Miss 6 - #24 Georgia 17 (8) Box Score
Final: #4 Tennessee 3 - #3 Kentucky 5 Box Score
Final: #2 Arkansas 2 - #20 South Carolina 1 Box Score
Final: Auburn 1 - Mississippi St. 8 Box Score
Final: Florida 2 - #13 Vandy 5 Box Score
Final: LSU 12 - Mizzou 1 (7) Box Score

Saturday April 20th
Final: #2 Arkansas 3 - #20 South Carolina 6 Box Score
Final: #2 Arkansas 9 - #20 South Carolina 6 (DH) Box Score
Final: #1 Fightin' Texas Aggies 9 - #18 Bama 10 Box Score
Final: Ole Miss 2 - #24 Georgia 7 Box Score
Final: Ole Miss 3 - #24 Georgia 2 (DH) Box Score
Final: #4 Tennessee 9 - #3 Kentucky 4 Box Score
Final: Florida 6 - #13 Vandy 2 Box Score
Final: LSU 7 - Mizzou 8 Box Score
Auburn at Mississippi St. (PPD to 4/21 due to inclement weather)

Sunday April 21st
Final: #4 Tennessee 13 - #3 Kentucky 11 Box Score
Final: Auburn 1 - Mississippi St. 3 (7) Box Score
Final: Auburn 3 - Mississippi St. 4 (8) Box Score (DH)
Final: LSU 6 - Mizzou 2 Box Score

Other Regional Games of Possible Interest
Thursday April 18th

Final: Oklahoma 10 - BYU 8 Box Score

Friday April 19th
Final: Cougar High 4 - Cincinnati 6 Box Score
Final: Rice 13 - South Florida 4 Box Score
Final: Lamar 3 - Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 6 Box Score
Final: South Alabama 3 - Texas St. 6 Box Score
Final: Kansas 5 - Baylor 14 Box Score
Final: la tech 5 - Dallas Baptist 3 Box Score
Final: Middle Tennessee St. 3 - Sam Houston St. 4 Box Score
Final: TCU 5 - t.u. 0 Box Score
Final: #22 West Virginia 2 - tech 15 Box Score
Final: Oklahoma 12 - BYU 6 Box Score

Saturday April 20th
Final: Cougar High 4 - Cincinnati 5 Box Score
Final: Rice 10 - South Florida 6 Box Score
Final: Middle Tennessee St. 1 - Sam Houston St. 13 (8) Box Score
Kansas 8 - Baylor 4 (Suspended T8 to 4/21 due to inclement weather)
Final: Lamar 6 - Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 3 Box Score
la tech at Dallas Baptist (PPD to 4/21 due to thunderstorms)
Final: Oklahoma 10 - BYU 7 Box Score
#22 West Virginia at tech (PPD to 4/21 due to inclement weather)
Final: South Alabama 5 - Texas St. 2 Box Score
Final: TCU 0 - t.u. 7 Box Score

Sunday April 21st
Final: Cougar High 8 - Cincinnati 5 Box Score
Final: la tech 3 - Dallas Baptist 8 Box Score
Final: la tech 6 - Dallas Baptist 1 Box Score (DH)
Final: South Alabama 3 - Texas St. 1 Box Score
Final: Rice 10 - South Florida 3 Box Score
Final: Kansas 8 - Baylor 4 Box Score (Resumption of game suspended 4/20)
Final: Kansas 12 - Baylor 2 (8) Box Score
Final: Lamar 3 - Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 7 Box Score
Final: Middle Tennessee St. 2 - Sam Houston St. 3 Box Score
Final: TCU 1 - t.u. 2 Box Score
Final: #22 West Virginia 4 - tech 6 Box Score
Final: #22 West Virginia 1 - tech 3 Box Score (DH)
RED AG 98
AG
ty
Aggie12B
AG
Thanks for doing this thread every week, John.
We Really appreciate it
Sea Pony 07
you moran
AG
Another great weekend of baseball, especially in the SEC. A&M at Bama and Tennessee at Kentucky are the headliners but even all the way down to LSU at Muzzou is of great interest to me.

The battle of moribunds. LSU needs wins badly but Mizzou has shown faint signs of life, especially at home. What at one time may have looked like a walkover could now prove to be a massive nail in the coffin.
twk
AG
So, we should get some questions answered big time this week.

With Florida at Vandy, is Vandy just a bad road team, or do their issues go beyond that? Remaining schedule is tough (State, @UGA, UT, @UK). Is Florida about to fall off the deep end with their remaining schedule (@Ark, UT, UK, @UGA)?

Is Ole Miss going to make a run at the post-season or not? Coming out of this weekend 6-12 would leave them with a pretty deep hole to dig out of. 7-11 would at least give them hope. After this they have Bama, @Auburn, A&M, and @ LSU. That last series could be a pretty high stakes affair. UGA seems to be in position for a 2 seed, but if they aren't careful, they could miss the tournament altogether. This is arguably their easiest remaining series (@ A&M, Vandy, @USC, and Florida).

UT at UK has the potential to be a great series. If UT wins the series, they might still have a chance to catch UK. UT's remaining series are Mizzou, @Florida, @Vandy, USC, while UK has @USC, Ark, @Florida and Vandy left, which, still looks pretty formidable, but @Florida and hosting Vandy might not be the hurdles that they seemed a few weeks ago.

Auburn is cooked (@LSU, Ole Miss, @Mizzou, Bama after this), so will they put up a fight at State? Non-conference losses are hurting State's RPI, so they are going to need a decent finish to be sure that they make the field (@Vandy, Bama, @Ark, Mizzou). I'm not sure that they can get into the hosting discussion, even if they get to 16 wins. They need 3 this weekend to have a shot at that.

LSU needs a sweep at Missouri, no two ways about it. If they could pull that off, they'd be 6-12, and need to win 8 out of their last 12 (Auburn, A&M, @Bama, Ole Miss) to get to 14-16 (which will almost certainly get them in the tournament) which is not an outrageous ask given the schedule. After a really tough start with a new coach, Missouri would consider it a success if they make it to Hoover. Winning the series this weekend would be a big help, since LSU is one of the teams below them right now, and Missouri's remaining schedule is not as favorable (@UT, USC, Auburn, @State).
McInnis
AG
TCU (rpi 38) at sip ( 76) is interesting. Neither team can afford to lose that series, especially the sips. And David Pierce, but it might not matter for him anymore.

And I just noticed that USCw is up to no. 70 and just one game below .500.
twk
AG
McInnis said:

TCU (rpi 38) at sip ( 76) is interesting. Neither team can afford to lose that series, especially the sips. And David Pierce, but it might not matter for him anymore.

And I just noticed that USCw is up to no. 70 and just one game below .500.
TCU is sitting at 7-11 right now, and only has 3 conference series left after this weekend (because of the odd number of baseball playing teams in the Big XII, they will play a non-conference series with NM State in a few weeks). Their RPI looks good enough, for now, but will a losing record in the Big XII get them in? They have KSU, @Baylor, and WVU left, so they need to win this series to have a reasonable chance at getting to .500. The sips have @OU, OSU, @UCF, and Kansas after this. You never know what to expect out of these Big XII teams, but , on paper, that's not an easy path for the sips. At 9-6 in conference play, they probably need a strong conference finish to overcome that weak RPI. Warren Nolan RPI prediction doesn't like their chances.

USC is out of conference this week, but has a chance to finish in the top 4 in the Pac. In fact, Warren Nolan has them doing just that, at 18-12, but with a 56 RPI. That wouldn't be good enough if they were in the East, but it would not shock me if they got into the field with that record, since the West Coast just about has to be graded on a curve, due to their horrible RPI numbers this year. I would think you'll see four from the Pac if things play out like that. D1 has four in, but they have Utah as the fourth (24-11, 9-6, 45 RPI right now, but they project out as 15-15 in the league and 78 in RPI). They finish the season at USC, so that series could be a big one.
Luke The Drifter
AG
I think the David Pierce Farewell Tour continues this weekend. He's having a terrible season, he's not popular with the Horn baseball fans (and never has been), and even the 'sips recognize he's only gotten to Omaha thanks to *very* favorable regional draws and incredibly lucky super regional situations. Throw in the fact that A&M is #1 right now and we sent them home the last time they were in the CWS and it's pretty easy to see that Pierce is done for in Austin.

Who do the Horns go after? All of the usual suspects, of course. Schloss (you know they'll make the call), McDonnell (Louisville), O'Sullivan (Florida), I think Savage (UCLA) will get a call, Mingione (Kentucky) will start to get interest from big programs, Vitello (Tennessee) would just be too perfect, Bakich (Clemson) would probably do well there, but he's an east coast guy, and O'Conner (Virginia). Would they contact Matt Deggs (UL-Lafayette)? Tadlock (Texas Tech) would have to listen if the Horns talked to him.

Coaches they are not getting - Corbin (Vanderbilt), Heefner (DBU), Jarrett (Florida State), and Canham (Oregon State)

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
RED AG 98
AG
Just to point out again how miserable the Big 12 is this year -- in spite of all of what you said being true, the horns are somehow sitting at 9-6 in conference and 4th of 13 in the standings. However there's very little separation from 4-11...

I agree this weekend vs TCU should be pretty telling. They finish the year with OU, OSU, at UCF and Kansas. Guessing they are only favored in that Kansas series at home. Also of note is the B12 tourney format this year is 10 teams and double elimination. There's at least potential they miss the tourney altogether...
LB12Diamond
AG
Why are they not getting those coaches? Just curious.

I know they already swung and missed at Vandy's. Don't know anything on the others.

Tadlock I thought has some lifetime thing at tech.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Corbin isn't leaving Vandy - too good of a deal with the private school academic scholarships they can offer

Heefner loves DBU and is incredibly strong in his Christian faith. He leads regular Bible studies and prayer meetings with his players. That won't fly in Austin.

Jarrett and Canham are alums of FSU and OSU, respectively.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
powerbelly
AG
LB12Diamond said:

Why are they not getting those coaches? Just curious.

I know they already swung and missed at Vandy's. Don't know anything on the others.

Tadlock I thought has some lifetime thing at tech.
It is very hard to pull a sitting HC from a good program. We got very lucky with Schloss.

tu will most likely end up with a coach from a mid-major just like Pierce.
LB12Diamond
AG
I agree

But they might overpay with our success.
jkag89
Quote:

Heefner loves DBU and is incredibly strong in his Christian faith. He leads regular Bible studies and prayer meetings with his players. That won't fly in Austin.
I think sippie will put up with almost anything if they win, even a man solid in his faith.

I don't think Heefner will leave DBU to go anywhere. From my perspective he seems to be a man who gets more job satisfaction coaching at a place like DBU than winning Nattys at any of baseball powers and I won't be one bit surprised if he gets the Patriots to Omaha and maybe winning the whole thing.
powerbelly
AG
jkag89 said:

Quote:

I think sippie will put up with almost anything if they win, even a man solid in his faith.

I don't think Heefner will leave DBU to go anywhere. From my perspective he seems to be a man who gets more job satisfaction coaching at a place like DBU than winning Nattys at any of baseball powers and I won't be one bit surprised if he gets the Patriots to Omaha and maybe winning the whole thing.
It would floor me, but baseball is the one sport where a team can get hot and win it all.
jkag89

This game will now be on SEC Network

Which means the Aggie game has been moved to ESPNU
W
AG
all right, the #1 maroon-n-white is in Tuscaloosa this weekend

and perhaps surprising...the Tide have owned the season series since the pandemic

A&M's last series win vs. Alabama was in 2019

the Ags won 5 straight series vs. the Tide from 2015 to 2019

this weekend is the first time the teams have met in the SEC -- when both teams were ranked
dabo man
AG
Tom Hart and Chris Burke are AT THE BALLPARK.

EDIT - And go Florida. I dislike Vandy baseball solely because of their whistler.
jkag89
If I were a Vandy or Gator fan I would not be real happy that my game is an afterthought for the announcers who seem more concerned to talk about UK.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Texas might put up with him, but he wouldn't put up with Texas.
jkag89
Which is pretty much what I said later in the same post.
RED AG 98
AG
Gators scored 1 top of the 1st. Vandy answers with a 2 run shot over the "little monster" in left that lands on the roof of gym. Now up 2-1 E3.
RED AG 98
AG
Gators are in trouble. 7-2 Vandy, still batting B5.
LB12Diamond
AG
Vandy already has scored more than our entire series.
aginlakeway
AG
Why is the Florida starter still in this game?
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
AgLA06
AG
7-2 Vandy bottom 5.
RED AG 98
AG
Not being snarky just curious -- have you been watching or just seeing the score here? He was mostly cruising there until the 5th.
aginlakeway
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Not being snarky just curious -- have you been watching or just seeing the score here? He was mostly cruising there until the 5th.

Understand. But why not pull him when we started struggling in 5th. Maybe right before the HR?
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
RED AG 98
AG
Happened pretty quick. Maybe no one was ready? Still only at 82 pitches so he was like under 60 prior to that half.
RED AG 98
AG
Two really good plays back to back by Vandy 3B.

And of course the Vandy 1B slams the ball down. Irks me way more than it should considering we still swept 'em.
Sean98
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

Corbin isn't leaving Vandy - too good of a deal with the private school academic scholarships they can offer

Could be interesting. With NIL the private school scholie isn't quite the advantage it used to be.
AgLA06
AG
Florida pitching not good.
RED AG 98
AG
With that homer, RJ is on cycle watch, with the easiest hardest one to get, if that makes sense.
jkag89
AgLA06 said:

Florida pitching not good.
Another reason why chomp chomp might have tried to stay with the starter longer in hopes he could Houdini himself out of the 5th without too much damage.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.