Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

***Weightlifting Thread***

92,961 Views | 1392 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by CFTXAG10
CC09LawAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have started a few threads and pulled some information from others, but haven't really seen one "catchall" thread for all things weightlifting.

This would be a spot to drop program recommendations, general weightlifting advice, what type of workouts you should be doing dependent upon what your goals are, etc.

I have learned a ton from this board over the years and think it'd be great for it to all be consolidated in one place. Someone like Hoosegow could probably spend hours teaching us stuff I didn't even know existed.

For example, I wanted to ask this question but didn't want to start a whole thread for it: my Madcow programming allows for front squats to substitute in for squats on Workout B. I wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on me substituting a Zercher squat for the front squat instead. My goals are mainly to get stronger in the big 3 lifts and this seems like a better lift to increase my overall performance in gaining strength.

Please feel free to add whatever you can! I think some links to pages like Stronglifts, someone mentioned Tactical Barbell in another thread, etc. could also be helpful for beginners.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
My participation in resistance training was what I would describe as sporadic up until around a year ago. For the last year though, outside of a few injury breaks, I've been very consistent. My fitness goals are primarily health and aesthetics, but I'm very competitive, so there is certainly an ego component that wants me to be as strong as possible.

I don't really buy into any programs. I'm more of an evidence based fitness and resistance training kinda guy, so I like following guys like Jeff Nippard and Sean Nalewanyj who are very much no nonsense, no fluff, not trying to sell you anything guys that like to stick to things that have a good evidence base behind them.

I don't follow any specific program. My resistance training routine is incredibly boring and efficient. I hit the same 4-8 workouts each day while adhering to progressive overload. I have a home gym where I do all my workouts. I have a 3 day routine (back/bi/shoulders, chest/tris/abs, leg day). I don't have scheduled rest days, I know that with my schedule I will typically average a rest day a week. Also, due to my schedule, I try to make my workouts as efficient as possible, so I do superset my workouts in order to finish quicker. I do 3 sets of everything, 8-10 reps x3 sets. Once I hit 10 reps x 3 at a specific weight, I increase the weight.

Back/bi day I'm doing weighted pull-ups, lateral raises, chest supported rows, shoulder press, bicep curls, upright rows, +/- dumbbell wrist flexion/extension.

Chest/Tri/ day I'm doing dumbbell press, overhead dumbbell tricep extensions, incline dumbbell press, weighted dips, weighted incline sit-ups, and weighted Roman chair side crunches.

Legs day I'm doing barbell squats, TNG deadlifts, leg curls, barbell calf raises on my 35lbs plates for more ROM.

A year in with this routine and I am still fairly consistently adding reps or weights to each workout. Progress has slowed a bit, but that was to be expected as I've mostly gotten past the newbie gains.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CC09LawAg
Good feedback Doc!

With supersets, have you noticed any issues with fatigue/not having enough recovery time inhibiting your gains on your second lift? Do you generally try to avoid supersets with compound lifts and only use them for isolation exercises?

I've been doing 5x5 type workouts for almost a year, and I used to be able to get by with a minute and a half rest between sets, but now I am pushing anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes in between. If I don't take significant rest I just don't have the cardio to recover in time. I know I need to add some cardio into my routine to address this, but I am worried about it causing me issues with supersets if I don't get a good cardio base first.

I am going to need to recalibrate my workout routine with a baby on the way and have thought about supersets as a way to speed things up on those days where I just don't have a full hour to work out.
CC09LawAg
I will add, I'm on a timeline similar to you. I started in April of last year and the beginner's phase of strength training is addictive. Adding weights every workout with progressive overload is awesome.

I am still getting to add weight, moreso weekly now than every workout. I have managed to increase my lifts to more than I ever did in my early to mid twenties, which is the last time I seriously lifted (I am 36 now).

I played basketball and lifted weights when I was younger, so I had a general idea of what I was doing. Once I really researched things like the bench press to understand how it really is a "full body lift" rather than making fun of the guys who laid down funny or me realizing that the guys that wore belts to squat weren't all meatheads, it has helped me to come a long ways and blow my old maxes out of the water.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
I think "gains" is the wrong word with regard to recovery time and subsequent sets. Yes, I am definitely weaker on subsequent sets during supersets as compared to if I get a full 5 minute recovery time during standard sets, but I make sure that I am giving myself enough time to catch my breath between sets (typically 60-90 seconds) so that the true limitation is muscle failure rather than cardiovascular or psychological fatigue. I am also typically alternating workouts that have little crossover rather than going dumbbell press straight into incline dumbbell press. So my back/bi day goes pull-ups to lateral raises to chest supported rows to shoulder press to bicep curls to upright rows and back to pull ups.

As long as you are truly working to failure or near failure (rather than cardiovascular fatigue) on each of your sets, theoretically the gains should come, regardless of recovery time.

I think it is all about what your goals are though. You seem to be focused a lot on strength, whereas I'm more focused on health and my own preference on aesthetics with a smaller focus on overall strength. I do cardio nearly daily running 2-3 miles. That is obviously going to limit my gains significantly. I am also operating on a daily caloric deficit at the moment, so at best I can hope to maintain or maybe squeak out some small gains. I look forward to when I'm back to caloric maintenance or a slight surplus so I can get back to more steady gains.

And yeah, I am very similar to you. My sports background is basketball, too. Played in high school and near daily all the way through med school. I was pretty strong back in high school as I lifted fairly religiously during the off season, but lost the motivation to lift consistently around sophomore year of college and now finally getting back into it. And yeah, I'm way stronger now than I was even in high school.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PascalsWager
AG
Just wanted to share my experiences with rest times between sets. And to see if anyone has any advice for me

I work 7 days in a row and then have 7 days off in a row. I have to get to work by 7 am. Since I walk or bike there and back (counting this is my weekly cardio!), I do my workouts before work at 5am. Because of the time crunch, I'm finding these "on day" workouts BRUTAL. On my off weeks I can take as much time as I need between sets. And it goes much better.

Between sets I often get demoralized/scared of failure. I end up thinking: man, I got 13 reps up on the first set and now I'm supposed to do this 12 times again for 3 sets after this. It takes me some time to psyche my self up to go the next set. When I hurry, I can't get the reps I'd like on my 4th set and sometimes even 3rd (usually looking for 12-15, and I fail at 10). Its mentally exhausting to lift weights for me. I'm 3 months in to the third period of life where I've lifted seriously. Last time was 5 years ago for a two year period where I got the strongest I've been in life but my gym closed down; and I quit for a while. Now I'm doing everything from home with dumbbells and a bench.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated! Also I like this thread to discuss weight lifting in general. Thanks!
CC09LawAg
I would consider trying to cycle your workouts depending on your schedule. If you look at the idea behind programs like Madcow, the idea is a volume workout, a recovery workout, then an intensity workout.

It may slow your gains down hypothetically, but if you're slow on your work weeks or being held back anyways, it would probably even out.

So maybe on your easy weeks with spare time, you do heavy volume/intensity workouts, then use the week in between as a back off/auxiliary lift/recovery week, then ramp it back up again the following week. Just a thought.

ETA: the mentally exhausting part needs to be your #1 focus. Anytime I get that feeling for more than a week or two and know I'm in a "funk" vs having a rough day, I think about how I can restructure my programming. I am a perfectionist by nature and try to do the perfect workouts, but I've come to realize that it's more important for me to enjoy it and want to keep doing it than it is to do whatever perfect program the internet says works.

The best and most effective program is one you know you can do consistently and find enjoyment doing.
bam02
AG
I am 43 and have consistently lifted 3-6 days a week with cardio on off days. I usually take Sundays off but may go for a long bike ride or be very busy doing yard work, etc. It's been like this since I was 16 years old.

In my teens I probably didn't have the best form or programming but by the time I went to A&M I had a pretty good understanding of proper form and had good discipline to maintain it. Programming was not maybe great but I had great results from being young and having high volume.

I read Body for Life and learned some good things from that. Then when The New Rules of Lifting came out in 2005 I feel like I really began to understand programming better. I then read Starting Strength and learned a lot more on the technical side.

I tend to do 12 week rotations of 5x5 with some HIIT mixed in and then switch it up with doing more WOD type workouts and sandbag WODs. I work out in my garage and have a power rack, flat bench, two barbells, and a bunch of plates. Also have a few kettle bells, gymnastic rings, and an Assault Bike. I'd like to add a safety squat bar. I love to push a sled and would love to own one now that I have the home gym but it wouldn't be practical to use the way my driveway and the streets are oriented.

All that said… I have been limited to Assault Bike and kettlebell swing workouts (which are great!) for the last 3 months while dealing with awful tennis elbow. It's been a beeoch. Really trying to rehab it so I can get back to 5x5.
Hoosegow
First, CC, thanks for the complement. I am humbled.

bam, I would get a cambered bar over a SS bar.

https://www.roguefitness.com/cb-1-rogue-camber-bar

Both are primarily designed to help save your shoulders. The cambered bar will teach you how to squat correctly and add more flexibility to your workouts - great for zerchers, good mornings, etc.

That being said, I do own both and use both (ironically I don't have a single straight bar).
CC09LawAg
Speaking of bars - Hoose, what do you think about Texas Power Bars? Everything I currently own is from Rogue but I'd like to support a Texas company. Everything I read makes them sound high quality.

I am looking at a deadlift bar, but is that even worth it if you're deadlifting under 500 pounds? Is there any benefit in the 300-400 range?

If not a deadlift bar, I have been looking at the Earthquake bar. Do you have any experience using something like that? Is it just a gimmick?
bam02
AG
I appreciate the suggestion. Maybe my reasoning is misguided and maybe you can give me some more advice. My main reason for wanting the safety squat bar is I have strained my biceps a few times just locking in too hard when doing low bar squats, which I prefer. Maybe I can avoid that in the future I but I am really concerned about re-injuring my biceps. I'm currently shut down with some chronic biceps and forearm pain that I think is related to that.

I truly hate front squats, lol. I know I should learn to like them, but I just can't. I'm just looking for ways I can continue to squat heavy without the need to lock my grip in.
2girlsdad
Here's my question, and it's in regards to 531 BBB and bench. I just started and am on week 3, and I'm not sure I'm getting enough heavy sets in a week. Squats and deads are feeling good, but this AM on bench I could only get 5 reps at 260. A couple months ago, I could do a 5x5 with 260 and think my AMRAM was in the 7-8 range. I've always been a hard gainer on bench, so think I may need to add an other heavy bench day (5x3).

I'll stick to the current plan for 12 weeks before doing that, but does it make sense that your AMRAM would go down on 531?
CC09LawAg
What kind of workout were you doing before the switch to 531?

You probably know this and do this based on your posting history, but are you keeping track of your diet and sleeping habits? I try to do that to possibly explain why I may be having an off day/week.
PascalsWager
AG
I had my 5 am leg day today.

I took your advice and backed off a little since its my busy week. Instead of 4x 12-15 I went 3 x 12 on every exercise.

Made HUGE difference! Didn't feel pressured by the clock and was mentally a lot stronger because of it. This was one of my best "on week" workouts yet. I'll make up the volume next week. And I'm not competing, so I don't need to be 100% efficient (this is SO something important to be reminded of)Thank you!
PascalsWager
AG
Just a morning thought for newer lifters or people getting back into it like me who may be lurking. It can be very intimidating to go on a thread like this and see people talking about 260 lbs benches and 500 lbs deadlifts. When I first started to find things online about lifting, I'd go on the bodybuilding forums and see guys posting about deadlifting 315 on their first day of training ever. I was barely repping out 105 on my first day; I had no idea what I was doing. It was discouraging to read stuff like that because it made me wonder what the point of it all was when my aptitude was so low. Very likely, those 315 day 1 guys were lying or embellishing (or they were wild outliers). I took my 9 months to get up to repping 315. And by the time I got there, my entire body had changed. And after 5 years off now, I can't do it anymore.

It takes years of dedication to get up to some of these lofty numbers. BUT it only takes months (maybe even weeks to start to see the changes) to see your body change to looking incredible. And the more you do and the more you lift it will only look better and better.

Most importantly, unlike bodybuilding.com or whatever, this is a place where no one is lying, no one is enhanced (or lying about being natural), and no one is bravodo-ing. Everyone here wants the best the for you. I've learned a lot in the few months I've lurked on H&F. So ask your questions, post your experiences and workouts, and be undaunted about judgement while you engage with us. Everyone is at a different place in their fitness goals. But everyone can benefit from lifting weights.

Maybe an unnecessary post, but seeing something like this would've helped me when I started looking for info! Appreciate CC09LawAg and everyone posting here!
CC09LawAg
This is a great point!

I started in April of 2022 and was fat, out of shape, in a desk job all day, and my arms would literally get sore from playing darts or going bowling. I'm almost a year in and my hip flexors and adductors are still so far behind because of how sedentary I was. I was, in short, totally useless physically. I had been in shape about 10 years ago, and in high school of course, so I knew what to do, I just wasn't doing it.

I started with Stronglifts, using the bar (45 pounds) on bench, overhead press, and rows and 65 pounds for squats and deadlifts.

I deloaded my squats and deadlifts a few times once I felt my form breaking down, once all the way back to 135, a second time back to 185. I am still squatting 275 for 5 less than one year into it. And I do NOT stick to some super strict diet, sleep 9 hours a night, or live some hardcore lifestyle. I still eat Chick Fil A sometimes, enjoy birthday cake. I just make smarter choices every day. Main thing I do is try to eat 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. That alone forces you to make some smarter choices with food.

I think if you set realistic goals of benching .75x your body weight and squatting 1.25x your body weight, you will be surprised how quickly you can get there. It's important to be aware of what you're lifting relative to your weight, rather than just the number itself.

TLDR; I went from using the bar in April of 2022 to having 5 rep maxes of 225 on bench, 200 on rows, 130 on overhead press, 275 on squats, and 315 on deadlifts. You CAN do it. And it doesn't have to be some balls to the wall fitness regimen.
bam02
AG
Yes. This is why I highly recommend the StrongLifts 5x5 app and program to newbies or people wanting to get back into lifting. I tell them to do exactly what the app prescribed as far as starting weight (usually just the bare barbell) and following the progressions the app dictates. It will get heavy soon enough and you will get strong as it does.
CC09LawAg
100%. I used to be guilty of overprogramming...I'd try to do 8 lifts a workout, hitting every little muscle group...then I'd get burnt out or not see results after a few weeks and quit.

Once I stopped trying to be smarter than this thing that thousands of people have used successfully, the results followed.
CC09LawAg
Also, excellent! Sometimes I get so focused on going heavier that I forget lighter workouts and reps are great for moving slower through the reps and really focusing on form and muscle memory. I always use those lighter reps to try to push myself as deep as I can in my squats, use pause reps on bench, etc.

I notice that if I really pay attention to those things on my lighter reps that they carry over to the heavier reps big time.
2girlsdad
I do track my macros, and my sleep has actually gone up. I was doing deadlifts, squats, and bench press 3 times a week (every workout) and lifting in the 80-95% of max range for 2-5 reps (did OHP once a week). Those workouts would take 2+ hours including warmup, so it cut into sleep. With the 531 BBB, I'm done in under and hour so I get an extra hour of sleep (~7). However, all 3 lifts were setting PR's for me on both reps and singles with the old program.

That being said, previously I would do my bench and deadlifts together and I think that helped my bench strength. Specifically I feel that when I would move 385-425 lbs on deadlifts, going to bench 260+ was comparatively easier and I was already amped up from the deadlift set (would wait about 3 mins after the dL set to do the bench). I feel one of the negative impacts now is I don't have squats or deadlifts to get me ready for the bench workout. About 1.5 months ago, I did 5 singles with 300 lbs on bench with about 5 min rest in-between each single. I don't think I could do a single on 300 right now (unless I did a moderate deadlift routine first).

CC09LawAg
Man, that is a problem above my pay grade haha. I'm not sure how you kept up with that kind of volume. I can't deadlift that often, it just destroys me for days.

If your previous program was working, why did you switch?
2girlsdad
Changed it up because the lifts were long (had to get up at 315 am to get it in plus commute, etc) and I also got a little bored doing the same lifts every time. It definitely worked, but probably not sustainable long term (I did it for about 10 months).

I'll stick to 531 template for a while, and if my bench isn't where it was prior, I may combine deadlifts with bench and on the bench day just go heavy (no 5x10 at 65%).
10andBOUNCE
AG
The the OPs question - I absolutely hate barbell front squats, admittedly because I can never find a comfortable position to get in. Zercher seems like a fine substitute.

Love the thread. Will definitely be lurking around!
MouthBQ98
AG
It takes a lot of time to build up to heavy weights. You have to build up muscle mass, ligament and tendon strength to match it, and even bone density. Don't be in a big rush. Develop good lifting techniques that are safe and proper and a good program, and the gains will come. You'll also have good days and off days, don't get overly optimistic or hard on yourself about fluctuations in testing maxes to set benchmarks, for example. That's been my experience.

Also, remember proportions and age and everyone has a different body structure. I'm a relatively poor deadlifter, but I can split jerk well for my size, for example. Someone who is 250 will be able to lift a lot more than someone who is only 150. The focus should be on competing with yourself.
CC09LawAg
I did them for the first time this week - I got up to 155 but had to do the last set of 180 as a high bar squat. My arms were hurting! But I will stick with them, I'm sure my pain tolerance will go up.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Are you using a barbell pad to help hold it in your arms? Can't say I've ever done this version personally.
CC09LawAg
Nope, just raw doggin it!
Max Power
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

The the OPs question - I absolutely hate barbell front squats, admittedly because I can never find a comfortable position to get in. Zercher seems like a fine substitute.

Love the thread. Will definitely be lurking around!
I also have comfort issues with front squats so I just keep it light. FYI they do make harnesses you can wear if you can't get comfortable on a front squat that might help. This one works for front squat or Zercher squats.

https://www.titan.fitness/strongman/carry/other-carry-1/front-squat-harness/409018.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu-Ckrrua_QIVIxKtBh3J2QCMEAQYASABEgLj4vD_BwE

Another thing you can do to mix it up would be a bamboo bar/earthquake bar. I don't have one but what I do is hang a plate by rubber band on each side of the barbell. This makes you slow down and stabilize the weight, it also can help improve form. It's great for bench pressing as well. You can't go fast and control the barbell, you also can't go too heavy.
CC09LawAg
Assistance work on Madcow 55 | StrongLifts

The "Assistance work for bench press" section had be thinking about your bench volume - maybe give you some ideas on some assistance work to add if you haven't looked at this before.

ETA: Have you looked at the Candito 6 week strength program? Seems like it might be a good fit for you:

Candito Training HQ
CC09LawAg
I just saw that front squat harness yesterday - I feel like I'd look like a character from Mad Max haha.

I actually posted about the Earthquake bar and was curious about it. I guess the idea isn't necessarily that it will contribute to strength gains per se, but will force you to really lock in solid form in hopes that tightening up your form = better technique = lift more weight?
10andBOUNCE
AG
I would love to eventually be able to use an earthquake bar. Going to be building a home gym this year so I need to learn about that more. From videos I've seen, comes across and very tedious to setup.
CC09LawAg
That is one of my reservations - seems like if you don't have someone else there helping that loading it would require a level of engineering that I'm not capable of
Hoosegow
A good bar is a good bar. I had a Texas PowerBar and sold it only because I have no use for a straight bar anymore. A good bar is stiff (except of a dl and maybe an oly bar - never got into Olympic lifting so I dont know). When you start squatting heavy and benching heavy you want 0 whip. The whip will kill you.

Most of my competitions were in Texas and featured Texas PowerBars. I've used a few Ohio powerbars as well.

They are very good bars... but so are rogues. Dont buy a Texas bar unless you need one.

Deadlift bars have a lot of slack. You need enough weight to hold the bar down to take advantage of it. 500 might be the low end.

I would not get a squat bar or a dl bar unless I was a high end competitor. I'd only use those bars at the tail end of my training if the competition featured those bars.

I think it was Donnie Thompson who said he always trained with crappy equipment. That way, when you get to a meet, everything is easy.

Now, if you had your anytime fitness/planet fitness bar... replace it.

You have a good bar, use it. Dont sweat it.

Now, for the earthquake bar...

It is designed to be unstable. The concept is that it strengthens all the smaller muscles which builds stability and injury prevention. Great in concept and it does work... however, you don't want to use it consistently. The instability will cause your CNS to ****** the muscle response. This is a reaction to keep your body from injury. No issues for occasional cycles or rotation.

I would not spend my money on the earthquake bar unless you were a commercial more specialized gym. The one I am a member of has one and does what it says it will.

For most, just hang some kettlebells or plate with bands. They will get to bouncing and will help you stay stable. Not as good as the earthquake bar but works 60 % as well.
Hoosegow
I am probably the king of bicep injuries. Also my upper body is so jacked. Here is a list of my injuries.
Ruptured left bicep - re-attachement at 40.
Discovered no labrum in my right shoulder. My bone spurs have bone spurs. I cannot raise my arm much more than what you can think of as a half hearted heil Hitler salute - need complete replacement - 45.
Completely ruptured right bicep with a rupture blah blah elbow ligament- 49. That one took me 2 surgeries and 6 months of no use to fix.

I understand your concern...

I bought the safety squat bar when I ruptured my left bicep. I wanted to keep squatting and it allowed me to do so one handed. I used it also with my last injury.

The cambered bar protects my shoulders just as good as the SS bar. You just can't use it one armed.

Both great bars. Both protect the upper body. To me the cambered just gives you more options.
Hoosegow
The blanked out word was re. Followed by tar. Ending with a d.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.