Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Sportscenter right now!!!

61,319 Views | 305 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Rocky Rider
1aggie02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Yeah. That will make the ncaa quit investigating.

They can continue investigating but going to be awfully hard to controvert him saying he thought it was for charity if they cannot find evidence of actual money changing hands.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
quote:
if a college or pro player receives five-figures for signing autographs...it has to be reported to the IRS as income. So there should be a papertrail, 1099, etc..,

buzzardb267
AG
If the buyer wants to deduct that as a business expense, someone will get a 1099. Otherwise he pays taxes on that money.
CoachLB
Well it worked for Cam Newton. "Dad took the money but without me knowing." NCCA didn't do anything.

[This message has been edited by CoachLB (edited 8/4/2013 6:14p).]
beerad12man
AG
Wow, people really want to bring this kid down. That's all this is.
Mr. Penguin
AG
where is bitter old man!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mr. Penguin
AG
where is bitter old man!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rgag12
AG
This is probably a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway.

If Paul Manziel recieved a check for 5 figures for items that JFF signed, would that be a NCAA violation?

[This message has been edited by rgag12 (edited 8/4/2013 6:18p).]
Tylerjo97
AG
I guess we will find out how much KSS knows about this tomorrow when he decides which QB takes the majority of the snaps in practice. If JFF isn't taking snaps, no bueno.
corvettemike86
AG
yes, rgb - in the same way Reggie Bush's mom took compensation of a free luxury home while he played.
wbt5845
AG
Sounds exactly like the Cam Newton deal.
Mr. Penguin
AG
quote:
Put simply, had Cam Newton's father or a third party actually received money or benefits for his recruitment, Cam Newton would have been declared ineligible regardless of his lack of knowledge.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Latest+News/2010+news+stories/December/NCAA+statement+on+fairness+of+rules+decisions#

[This message has been edited by Mr. Penguin (edited 8/4/2013 6:20p).]

[This message has been edited by Mr. Penguin (edited 8/4/2013 6:21p).]
CoachLB
Rgag - Cam Newtons defense was He didn't know his dad was asking for money. So If Johnny said he didn't know he should be fine. At least the NCAA didn't come down on Auburn.
BMX Bandit
And that no money changed hands.
Ag Tag
I have a bad feeling about all of this.
CoachLB
No money was proven to have changed hands. All kind of people saying it did. People who would know and had nothing to gain. Just like this case. Have to prove it.
W
AG
if the autograph broker is a legitmate business, he's going to issue a 1099 to the athlete and report it to the IRS...unless the arrangment called for all cash transactions and no reporting
tinaroth
Even if someone got paid, as long as it was JFF or his family, what's the big deal?

Let them pay Fitch, plausible deniability built in, right?
rgag12
AG
Thanks Mike. Well, then IMHO I think Johnny is in some serious trouble here. Based on what I've read about his dad on here and in the ESPN article, I would have a hard time believing he didn't try to profit from his son at some point.

The question will be if they were smart enough to not leave a trail......

and if JFF "knew" about it. ha!

[This message has been edited by rgag12 (edited 8/4/2013 6:27p).]
WhiteYaloo
Guilty or not, I would assume the investigation could easily drag through most of the season with attorneys involved on manziel a side...right??
tinaroth
Meant NOT JFF or family..... jeebus
andrewe
What does finebaum think?
Citizen Reign
quote:
quote:
quote:
"seriously, how would your prove this?

Multiple witnesses who all witnessed agreement, autographs, and payment? A cashed check that says "for autographs"?"

Well, a deposit for an amount in five figures around late January would be a giveaway.

Or a Christmas gift from his grandparents?

Are you saying the check would not have a name and account number on it?
Win At Life
AG
It would seem odd for JFF to sit in a hotel room and sign 1000 photos just for fun. If there was a payment it would have been in cash and if JFF or PM just hold the cash for a few years or pay for small items with cash it would be extremely hard for the NCAA to prove anything unless the Manziel’s or the seller confessed (but neither of them has a motivation to confess – unless just being truthful is a motivation). This has a lot of smoke to it IMO, but I’d be surprised if the NCAA could ever prove anything.
MallalieuAg
AG
It's ESPN, the whorn network!
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
quote:
Yeah. That will make the ncaa quit investigating.

They can continue investigating but going to be awfully hard to controvert him saying he thought it was for charity if they cannot find evidence of actual money changing hands.

This.
FrontPorchAg
quote:
Taking that big of a risk for not all that much money.

What risk is he taking? It's not like he is the one getting fined, what does he have to lose? In these situations it's usually the school that takes it on the chin. It occurred after he got his Heisman so they aren't going to take it back.
Rocky Rider
AG
If Johnny plays and is later found in violation we will forfeit the games we won that he played in.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.