Astros/Rangers Discussion - NO MODS ALLOWED

42,821 Views | 862 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by jkag89
West Roxbury
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As an Astros fan going back to Joe Neikro and Jose Cruz, I would say that this current squad looks tired and older than their age. Then there is the pitching and injuries. It's early yet. But they have played a lot of high leverage post-season baseball for 7 years. It adds up.
bearkatag15
AG
AgsWin2011 said:

These posts never backfire... never
DallasAg 94

I know that probably sounds good. However, it comes across as a humble-brag. I never heard the Yankees or any other Franchise cry so much about making the playoffs and being tired. Remember 2020 was a short short season.

But let's take a look. You have like 2. Maybe 3. Three guys that "could" be tired. Fambler, Altuve and Yordan

SP:
Framber (30): 198.0 ('23), 201.1 ('22), 132.2 ('21), 70.2 ('20), 70.2 ('19), 37.0 ('18): 80.2 IP in PostSeason
Javier (27): 162.0 ('23), 148.2 ('22), 101.1 ('21), 54.1 ('20): 43.2 Total IP in PS.
Brown (25): 155.2 ('23), 20.1 ('22): 10.2 IP in PS
Blanco (30): 52.0 ('23), 6.1 ('22): 0.00 IP in PS
France (29): 136.1 IP ('23), 0.00 ('22): 3.0 IP in PS

I'll give you Framber, for his 3 seasons.

But the rest are barely 2 years into being a SP and only Javier has any real IP in the PostSeason (PS).

Hitters?!
Yanier?! 104G last year and only 6 prior.

Abreu?! Last year was his 1st with Houston. With CWS before that.
Altuve?! Ok, so when we talk about PEDs... he is the only legit guy you can say should be tired and he is leading the team in Batting. LOL.
Pena?! He has 2 previous seasons in MLB prior to 2024.
Bregman? Ok... maybe a case with him. His issue is likely contract distractions.

McCormick?! 115G ('23), 119G ('22), 108 ('21) 3 years of MLB and hardly a full timer.
Myers?! Surely this is the guy?! 112G ('23), 52 ('22), 49 ('21) Probably exhausted with his 213G coming into 2024.
Tucker? 157 ('23), 150 ('22), 140 ('21), 58 ('20), 22G ('19), 28G ('18). 4 seasons counting '20. 7? Riding pine is probably tiring, I suppose.
Yordan Alavarez - 5 seasons counting 2020...

I could do the RP, as well, but you rolled that over in the off-season and well, they're a fickle bunch, anyway.
DallasAg 94
bearkatag15 said:

AgsWin2011 said:

tjack16
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

bearkatag15 said:

AgsWin2011 said:

About the same as the Yankees chanting "we want Houston" before the 2022 ALCS. Those sound-bytes are awesome when you win but dang they come back to bite if you lose.

West Roxbury
I get it. I'm only commenting that they are playing older and more uninspired than their age might suggest. Not intended to be a humble brag but I can see how it would be received that way.

Young talent hungry for bigger contracts would be a nice mix.

Also you and I both know your pitching lineup doesn't include JV or McCullers (and now we have Framber joining the club).

Not making excuses. It's reality. The team stinks right now.
AgsWin2011
AG
Lol I posted because it was funny. I honestly think the Lastros will get it turned around pretty quick. Curious to see what Wash is cooking for LAA.
DallasAg 94
Lots I agree with.

While your rotation is missing JV (41), LMC (30), and Framber (30)... don't forget we have our own IL going with deGrom, Mahle, and Scherzer.

JV and LMC, like deGrom... are a hard read back. For the Rangers, if we could get deGrom back just for the playoffs and he pitches only 5GS at the level he can, I'm ok with that. You probably feel the same for JV.

I pick at the Astros and yes they are aging, but they'll get rolling, I'm sure. Hopefully not until after this series.

Rangers look like repeat WS favorites one night... and then get 1-Hit by the A's and lose 4 of 5 games.

One of the things Bochy has done is slowly bring back the players. Having won back-to-back WS he knows how to get the guys back. I think that is something you will miss with Dusty. I've mentioned I was born in LA and grew up watching the Dodgers in the '70s, which included Dusty Baker. Loved him as a player.

I think the Rangers have been slow coming back. We've had some off-season injuries to Jung, Seager, et al. I think of it more about bringing them back slowly for a long season, as opposed to being tired from playing deep into the playoffs.

Reminds me of a joke. Standing at the top of a hill overlooking the pasture, the little bull looks up to the big bull and says, "Whata'ya say we run down there and breed one of those heifers?" To which the big bull retorts, "Why don't we walk down there and breed them all."
DallasAg 94
AgsWin2011 said:

Lol I posted because it was funny. I honestly think the Lastros will get it turned around pretty quick. Curious to see what Wash is cooking for LAA.
Wash sells what many good managers do. Play absolutely great fundamental defense. Do the little things. Win each series.

As great as Ohtani is, I think him being in the rotation as part of a 6-man rotation and accommodating him in SP was a detriment to the others. You can't build a rotation around 1 guy. Wash is the kind of guy who is going to get more out of his players than they think because they know he cares about them. Not sure it will sustain them through 2024, but 2025 should be well put together.
tjack16
AG
On DeGromā€¦ he's legit probably the best pitcher of this current generation but just hardly ever is healthy. His career will be one we look back on as a mystery. Could have won 5 cy young awards by now
West Roxbury
Oh for sure. Pitching injuries seem to be the norm these days.
DallasAg 94
I tracked it on the Rangers' thread last year specifically with Tampa and LAD. While many saw them as the most talented teams to beat, their P woes kept compounding and I tried to keep expectations modest for their post-season projections.

I really like what Chris Young was able to do with the Rangers depth.

This year has the potential to allow us to weather the storms and could emerge a new strategy. We signed Mahle to a 2 year deal $5.5M/$11.5M?! knowing he would be on the 60IL until mid-season. So, we don't have have him on the 40Man (60IL) and if healthy, we can add him mid-season for $5.5M and reduce our dependency on acquiring a trade deadline SP. We also get to participate on his recovery... and get him fairly cheap in 2025.

I believe that is what the Yankees were thinking when they added:
Quote:

He is less than $3M for 2024 and Arb3 in 2025.

So, stack those recovering TJs early.
West Roxbury
It's interesting. Even at the high D1 JUCO level...these guys are 19-20 and staying healthy for the hard throwers is not always common. Lots of strain on soft tissue and, key, repetitive motion.
tjack16
AG
DallasAg 94
I love that guy.
Legal Custodian
AG
Everyone keeps saying how the MLBPA is the strongest union in America. The MLB Umpire Union takes the cake with how they protect Angel Hernandez from getting fired. Holy ****
tjack16
AG

TexasAggiesWin
S
tjack16 said:

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
This thread sure has gotten quiet since the Astros are 4-11 and in sole possession of last place in the west.
bearkatag15
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

This thread sure has gotten quiet since the Astros are 4-11 and in sole possession of last place in the west.
There have been posts here throughout the day... I'm not sure you used this post the way you intended...
bearkatag15
AG
tjack16 said:

Quincey P. Morris
AG
So is it safe to say we can all agree that Angel Hernandez is the worst umpire on the planet?
tjack16
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

I mean yall are clearly the better team right now so not much to say from our end.
Grapesoda2525
tjack16 said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

I mean yall are clearly the better team right now so not much to say from our end.
The absence of farmer around here is the biggest noticeable thing to me. The guy used to spend more time in this thread then he did with his own family.
jkag89
Not as if Ranger fans were showing up for the '22 Trash Talking Thread. That thread was a total of five pages for the entire season. The '23 Trash Talking Thread was a total of 96 pages. Hmm, what was different between those two seasons?
Marvin
AG
jkag89 said:

Not as if Ranger fans were showing up for the '22 Trash Talking Thread. That thread was a total of five pages for the entire season. The '23 Trash Talking Thread was a total of 96 pages. Hmm, what was different between those two seasons?

I certainly remember all the "we just want to talk about our team, we don't care about you, leave us alone, collecting WS memorabilia is stupid" posts from early last year... what has changed, indeed.

TLDR- Ranger fan actually DOES think about Astro fan.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
jkag89
Yep.

Also there were a number of Astros fans congratulating the Rangers on their WS Title on the '23 Thread. Not a chirp from Rangers fans on the '22 Thread after the World Series.
tjack16
AG
Marvin said:

jkag89 said:

I certainly remember all the "we just want to talk about our team, we don't care about you, leave us alone, collecting WS memorabilia is stupid" posts from early last year... what has changed, indeed.

The collecting WS memorabilia comments were the ones I'm most interested in now that the rangers have won the WS. Will those posters feel the same way when replica trophy and ring nights happen in Arlington?
DallasAg 94
The only memorabilia to collect that seems weird to me is the ring. Regardless of team.

I have a mini Stanley Cup of the Stars. I missed out on the Rangers giveaway and will likely just buy one from the gift shop.

As a STH, I also got a nice glass plaque

The replica ring?! Maybe I'll see it different when I see them, but that always just seemed weird. If you earned one by working for the team, that's one thing, but you can buy a Rangers one and they have the giveaways. Like I said, maybe I'll see it differently. Literally.
DallasAg 94
jkag89 said:

Yep.

Also there were a number of Astros fans congratulating the Rangers on their WS Title on the '23 Thread. Not a chirp from Rangers fans on the '22 Thread after the World Series.
Congratulations on the '22 WS.
DallasAg 94
Most of my comments on here are focused on the Rangers or educating newly minted 2017 Astros fans.

Maybe it has just taken 7years for Astros fans to get the baseball foundation and acumen to engage.
jkag89
Astros fans did it within seconds after the final out, one Ranger fan finally gets prompted (as a joke no less) a year and a half later.
DallasAg 94
I mean yall were clearly the better team right now so not much to say from our end.
Mr Gigem
AG
tjack16 said:

Marvin said:

jkag89 said:

The collecting WS memorabilia comments were the ones I'm most interested in now that the rangers have won the WS. Will those posters feel the same way when replica trophy and ring nights happen in Arlington?

Well we had the replica trophy night and there weee probably 25k fans lined up outside about an hour before gates opened. It was a mad house.

I, for one, will get as much WS memorabilia as I can to put in my home office. And I will wear my ring often.
ahpetty33
AG
Hey, jkag89, congratulations to you and your family on the 2022 World Series win. Truly. Sorry for the delay, I think USPS lost the card I sent

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.