Astros/Rangers Discussion - NO MODS ALLOWED

43,200 Views | 862 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by jkag89
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Didn't address starting pitching woes
Signed a big-time closer when that wasn't an area of need
Abreu going Willie Mays Mets where he suddenly cant play baseball at all
Didn't find a competent backup 1B other than a ****tier, fatter version of Abreu who has proven he isn't a MLB player.
Gave a guy the head job with zero managerial experience and gave him a team with massive pitching woes and two key pieces (Bregman / Tucker) who both appear to have a foot out the door.
Changed the batting order to one that makes sense analytically, but thus far has sucked (Alvarez second).
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
tjack16
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Serious question for the Astros fans.

What exactly is happening? 20 games in isn't exactly a small sample size at this point as it accounts for 12% of the season. Do you see long term issues that can't be fixed, or is this just an unfortunate timing of things going wrong?

It sucks to be wasting a white hot start for Altuve. Seems like each year us Rangers fans or other fanbases are thinking, "Surely this'll be there year that Altuve starts his decline." But dammit if he doesn't just keep coming out and proving himself year after year.

Also, where does Jose Abreu rank on biggest busts regarding free agent signing.

I swear I'm not dogpiling, it's honestly just one of the biggest mysteries of the season so far regarding y'all's record.

For every guy who has stepped up, somebody has regressed

Pena has stepped up, Bregman has sucked
Diaz has stepped up, McCormick has sucked
Montero has stepped up, Pressly/Hader have sucked

Too many guys you depend on and make a lot of money are underperforming immensely.
Grapesoda2525
Legal Custodian said:

What exactly is happening? 20 games in isn't exactly a small sample size at this point as it accounts for 12% of the season. Do you see long term issues that can't be fixed, or is this just an unfortunate timing of things going wrong?

It sucks to be wasting a white hot start for Altuve. Seems like each year us Rangers fans or other fanbases are thinking, "Surely this'll be there year that Altuve starts his decline." But dammit if he doesn't just keep coming out and proving himself year after year.

I swear I'm not dogpiling, it's honestly just one of the biggest mysteries of the season so far regarding y'all's record.
I'm willing to admit that I've been hoping to see a massive drop off from Verlander and the guy has disappointed me the last few years also.
Grapesoda2525
tjack16 said:

Legal Custodian said:

For every guy who has stepped up, somebody has regressed

Pena has stepped up, Bregman has sucked
Diaz has stepped up, McCormick has sucked
Montero has stepped up, Pressly/Hader have sucked

Too many guys you depend on and make a lot of money are underperforming immensely.
Didn't expect Bregsy to suck since he's in a contract year. I thought McCormick would be a massive pain in the ass for a long time after he took Chapman deep last year to tie the game. Hader sucking has been a big surprise since seemingly everyone except for the rangers wanted him.

I honestly don't think Hader was on our radar. We were trying to figure out a way to get Montgomery back and work around the stupid TV rights deal with Bally.
tjack16
AG
Astros

Positives
- Altuve
- Yordan
- Tucker
- Pena
- Diaz (offensively)
- Dubon (only plays half the games)
- half of the pitching staff

Negatives
- everything else

Legal Custodian
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Didn't address starting pitching woes
Signed a big-time closer when that wasn't an area of need
Abreu going Willie Mays Mets where he suddenly cant play baseball at all
Didn't find a competent backup 1B other than a ****tier, fatter version of Abreu who has proven he isn't a MLB player.
Gave a guy the head job with zero managerial experience and gave him a team with massive pitching woes and two key pieces (Bregman / Tucker) who both appear to have a foot out the door.
Changed the batting order to one that makes sense analytically, but thus far has sucked (Alvarez second).

Yeah, I don't quite get putting Yordan second either.

At what point is Espada in danger of getting fired mid-season? If this was European soccer, he'd be shown the door in pretty short order.
nai06
AG
gigem1223 said:

Kind of like your obsession with Joey Gallo.
I think its funny and a little endearing. Joey needs somebody to care about him in this world.
Marvin
AG
fc2112 said:

Marvin said:

South Platte said:

Holy crap, Astros. Get it together. It's not this hard to win baseball games. You know at some point the wins will come in bunches but this is laughable.

Where would you be without picking up Blanco from the line of immigrants filing through Eagle Pass?

If only our Astros could play the Rangers more...

So we could see more of this?

You won't see much of that in the playoffs if the Rangerettes can't even beat the worst Astros team in a decade.

Enjoy your memorabilia giveaways, because that is all you will likely have come September...
DallasAg 94
Not an Astros fan, but I'll chime in. I was already drafting an analysis...

The 4 main issues I see:

Espada doesn't have the experience and wisdom to put together the team. As my boss (Cards fan) says about what he believes is a horrible manager in St.L "The manager manages egos not the lineup card. Any player can fill out the lineup card." Can Espada get everyone headed in the right direction? We'll see.

Lack of depth. Limited prospects and players to draw from in their minors. Injuries are a part of the game. You have to prepare for it and if you don't the problem isn't injuries... it is your inability/unwillingness to prepare for them.

Yanier Diaz. Hitting to a Catcher is what filling out the lineup card is to a manager. I don't know Diaz, but you look at the P struggles and I have to believe he isn't handling the staff well. This may sound dumb, but the fact he is hitting well, likely tells you that he isn't spending enough time on the Pitchers. He has to study the hitters of the day along with the SP and 7+/- RPs and how each should approach the hitter. AND... he needs the P to have the trust in him.

Team talent. I was rooting on the idea of Snell to the Astros and was elated Hader signed. Even more excited at $19M. Without the prospects and now having spent their load... The Astros are kinda stuck fixing things. I had said having Hader and Pressly would be meaningless if the Astros are behind in games.

Chris Young's 1st real move as GM was to court Bochy and bring him in.

Chris Young inserted talent through FA which allowed our minors to build prospects. Inserting Seager and Semien meant Duran, Smith, and Foscue were not starters. Signing Eovaldi, Heaney, Gray, deGrom, allowed guys like Bradford, Dunning, Leiter, et al, to spend more time developing without rushing them.

As much as I wanted CY to sign Monty, the right thing to do was split that money among several players. We're paying Mahle $5.5M and Lorenzen like $4.5M. Monty was expected to get $25M. We now have $15M at the trade deadline we can spend if neither Mahle nor Lorenzen work out.

The big question for Astros fans is... Are Espada and Yanier the guys that can turn the team in the right direction?! If the fans are losing confidence, you can be assured those doubts will creep into the clubhouse. Was signing Hader to $19M a red flag to guys like Pressly, Tucker, and Bregman that it is time to move on?!

For 2025:
CBT for MLB at: $241M
Astros CBT at: $149M
That leaves $92M

I believe JV has an Opt for $36M. 1/2 by Houston? Which is better to keep or him walk?!
Pressly has an Option for $14M. You want him back for $14M?!

Arbs:
Valdez ($12M in '24) <- Likely goes up
Tucker ($12M in '24) <- Likely goes up

If the Arbs are flat, you're looking at $56M of the $92 (Net $36M)
Now add your other Arbs and Serfs

FA: Bregman ($30M?)

I think the Hader signing, as would have been Snell, likely rippled through the team and I can't imagine it was taken well. You don't have the cheap minor league prospect/talent to infuse and there are many holes to fill not just in '24... but in '25. And you don't have them to trade.

If this team continues to struggle, you're likely going to see the trade deadline fire-sell.
Marvin
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Not an Astros fan, but I'll chime in. I was already drafting an analysis...

The 4 main issues I see:

Espada doesn't have the experience and wisdom to put together the team. As my boss (Cards fan) says about what he believes is a horrible manager in St.L "The manager manages egos not the lineup card. Any player can fill out the lineup card." Can Espada get everyone headed in the right direction? We'll see.

Lack of depth. Limited prospects and players to draw from in their minors. Injuries are a part of the game. You have to prepare for it and if you don't the problem isn't injuries... it is your inability/unwillingness to prepare for them.

Yanier Diaz. Hitting to a Catcher is what filling out the lineup card is to a manager. I don't know Diaz, but you look at the P struggles and I have to believe he isn't handling the staff well. This may sound dumb, but the fact he is hitting well, likely tells you that he isn't spending enough time on the Pitchers. He has to study the hitters of the day along with the SP and 7+/- RPs and how each should approach the hitter. AND... he needs the P to have the trust in him.

Team talent. I was rooting on the idea of Snell to the Astros and was elated Hader signed. Even more excited at $19M. Without the prospects and now having spent their load... The Astros are kinda stuck fixing things. I had said having Hader and Pressly would be meaningless if the Astros are behind in games.

Chris Young inserted talent through FA which allowed our minors to build prospects. Inserting Seager and Semien meant Duran, Smith, and Foscue were not starters. Signing Eovaldi, Heaney, Gray, deGrom, allowed guys like Bradford, Dunning, Leiter, et al, to spend more time developing without rushing them.

As much as I wanted CY to sign Monty, the right thing to do was split that money among several players. We're paying Mahle $5.5M and Lorenzen like $4.5M. Monty was expected to get $25M. We now have $15M at the trade deadline we can spend if neither Mahle nor Lorenzen work out.

The big question for Astros fans is... Are Espada and Yanier the guys that can turn the team in the right direction?! If the fans are losing confidence, you can be assured those doubts will creep into the clubhouse. Was signing Hader to $19M a red flag to guys like Pressly, Tucker, and Bregman that it is time to move on?!

For 2025:
CBT for MLB at: $241M
Astros CBT at: $149M
That leaves $92M

I believe JV has an Opt for $36M. 1/2 by Houston? Which is better to keep or him walk?!
Pressly has an Option for $14M. You want him back for $14M?!

Arbs:
Valdez ($12M in '24) <- Likely goes up
Tucker ($12M in '24) <- Likely goes up

If the Arbs are flat, you're looking at $56M of the $92 (Net $36M)
Now add your other Arbs and Serfs

FA: Bregman ($30M?)

I think the Hader signing, as would have been Snell, likely rippled through the team and I can't imagine it was taken well. You don't have the cheap minor league prospect/talent to infuse and there are many holes to fill not just in '24... but in '25. And you don't have them to trade.

If this team continues to struggle, you're likely going to see the trade deadline fire-sell.

I'd expect the Astros to sign one of Bregman/Valdez/Tucker and let the other walk or swap for younger talent. If the team does not turn it around by the break, I would be in favor of getting what you can and hitting the reset button. I'd like to resign them all, but that is unrealistic and I do not think Bregman will age well.
The Porkchop Express
Well I'm not sure how to respond to the idea that the problem with the catcher is that he's hitting too well.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
The Porkchop Express
DallasAg 94 said:

Note to self, try to emulate Chris Young's brilliance in order to copy Rangers' long-term success instead of Astros' recent string of failures.
DallasAg 94

Well I'm not sure how to respond to the idea that the problem with the catcher is that he's hitting too well.
"That's what she Espada said."

You'll figure it out.
The Porkchop Express
DallasAg 94 said:

You'll figure it out.
As Rangers fans go, I try to like you but you come across as such a ****** bag
Mr Gigem
AG

DallasAg 94 said:

You'll figure it out.
Says the guy with perhaps the weirdest obsession on this forum

https://texags.com/forums/53/topics/3450449
The Porkchop Express
Mr Gigem said:

DallasAg 94 said:

You'll figure it out.

It's satire. And not one ****ing person is making you click that thread.
Marvin
AG
Mr Gigem said:

DallasAg 94 said:

You'll figure it out.

Says the guy who works for the Rangers yet openly trashes its players on social media boards.
Mr Gigem
AG

Mr Gigem said:

DallasAg 94 said:

You'll figure it out.

Are you sure?

DallasAg 94

DallasAg 94 said:

You'll figure it out.
Apparently not a Michael Scott fan?

In all honesty, I do rub some people wrong (too soon for a "TWSS?"). I don't take myself too seriously, have an opinion about just about everything, and intellectual enough to argue that opinion even once I know I'm wrong.

Sometimes I come across as Packer. Sometimes like Nard-Dawg. But, usually I'm like Halpert. Sometimes, I like to instigate people who take themselves too seriously and watch them get wound up.

The fact you think I come across as a ****** bag is probably inherent to being from DFW. Sometimes we just can't help it.
Mr Gigem
AG
Marvin said:

Mr Gigem said:

DallasAg 94 said:

You'll figure it out.

Says the guy who works for the Rangers yet openly trashes its players on social media boards.
Aren't you the guy that claimed his wife was shoved at an Astros game and your first thought was to run to TexAgs and yell about it?
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

The fact you think I come across as a ****** bag is probably inherent to being from DFW. Sometimes we just can't help it.
Speak for yourself. Just how many fanbases are you planning on alienating on this thread?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
South Platte

Mr Gigem said:

DallasAg 94 said:

You'll figure it out.

Did you really lose a leg in your near death/coma experience? If so, damn! You're entitled to as many odd Gallo threads as you please.
toucan82
Well... I've seen worse debuts than Leiter's
DallasAg 94
Relax.

It's satire.
Marvin
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Marvin said:

Mr Gigem said:

DallasAg 94 said:

You'll figure it out.

Aren't you the guy that claimed his wife was shoved at an Astros game and your first thought was to run to TexAgs and yell about it?

Oh, I didn't claim it- I flat said it. And my first thought and action was to chase the cowards running away. Only then did I vent on here.

But beyond that, nice try at a deflection. At least you didn't deny trashing employees of your own company. I'm sure management would love to see those posts.
Marvin
AG
toucan82 said:

He would have fit in nicely with Astros starters last week.
tjack16
AG
Marvin said:

toucan82 said:

He would have fit in nicely with Astros starters last week.

He would have been the best of ours in that horrid 3 game stretch
Mr Gigem
AG
wtf are you talking about? But thanks for letting everyone know you have nothing better to do than browse the Rangers thread
YokelRidesAgain
AG
nai06 said:

gigem1223 said:

Kind of like your obsession with Joey Gallo.
I think its funny and a little endearing. Joey needs somebody to care about him in this world.

Shut yo mouth!!

Everyone cares about Joey. The kids love him!!!

Particularly his outstanding manager for the Washington Gnats, Whoozit Whatzhisname, who keeps inserting Joey in the lineup even though he has struck out in over 50% of his at bats this year.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Porkchop Express
South Platte said:

Mr Gigem said:

DallasAg 94 said:

You'll figure it out.

Did you really lose a leg in your near death/coma experience? If so, damn! You're entitled to as many odd Gallo threads as you please.
Yes, I got run over by an asleep-at-the-wheel truck driver in 2016. I was in a coma for a few weeks, during and spent a year or so remembering how to be a person. The moderators called this time period ,"The Golden Age of TexAgs"
DallasAg 94
I felt empathy for Henley. I felt he was kinda the sacrificial lamb to step in for an emergency start. He really had no business going. I mentioned his back-story is compelling. From what I heard, when he was kid, his dad was driving and some kids threw some rocks off an overpass and caused his dad to wreck, becoming a paraplegic. His mom had to work to support the family.

Leiter wasn't as bad as the line looks. He accomplished what he needed. I was hoping a full 4IP, but Taveras decided to do a Nellie Cruz impersonation to extend the inning.

Personally, I think Leiter was pretty amped up through the 1st. Rangers went up 4-0 in the T2 and Leiter probably took a deep breath and relaxed. His pitches got sloppy and he got behind hitters early and the hitters were able to sit on Leiter's pitchers.

He has some work to do and hopefully this was something to build on.
tjack16
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

I felt empathy for Henley. I felt he was kinda the sacrificial lamb to step in for an emergency start. He really had no business going. I mentioned his back-story is compelling. From what I heard, when he was kid, his dad was driving and some kids threw some rocks off an overpass and caused his dad to wreck, becoming a paraplegic. His mom had to work to support the family.

Leiter wasn't as bad as the line looks. He accomplished what he needed. I was hoping a full 4IP, but Taveras decided to do a Nellie Cruz impersonation to extend the inning.

Personally, I think Leiter was pretty amped up through the 1st. Rangers went up 4-0 in the T2 and Leiter probably took a deep breath and relaxed. His pitches got sloppy and he got behind hitters early and the hitters were able to sit on Leiter's pitchers.

He has some work to do and hopefully this was something to build on.

To me Leiter and Arighetti will be fine. I'd imagine his second start he bounces back. Leiter was insanely good at Vandy… very lucky the Aggies avoided them those years.
The Porkchop Express
Mr Gigem said:

Mr Gigem said:

DallasAg 94 said:

You'll figure it out.

Are you sure?

2021 was the best one. The first 10 pages are butt hurt Ranger fans who can't take a joke
Marvin
AG
Mr Gigem said:

wtf are you talking about? But thanks for letting everyone know you have nothing better to do than browse the Rangers thread

Don't make me go find some of them. Or some of your references to the Astros thread- that's just stupid.

Kid's gonna be editing posts late into the night…
Mathguy64
AG
Man you can tell when it's an off day.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.