Astros/Rangers Discussion - NO MODS ALLOWED

42,312 Views | 846 Replies | Last: 20 hrs ago by agent-maroon
CrawlingNo5
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

CrawlingNo5 said:

Yesterday was a perfect illustration of Rangers and Astros, and really Dallas and Houston . When the going got tough, one team battled, took some hits but toughened up and won the damn game.

Unfortunately the other team down south, folded like a cheap tent. The lack of character and mental fortitude shows not only in the team, but with the fans down there.
One team had the division won, until they didn't. Your "cleverness" is only exceeded by your stupidity. You're franchise is an example of fortitude lacking aptitude.
have the division, we will take the WS title. I guess some teams and fan bases have higher goals and quite frankly, expectations.
htxag09
AG
tjack16 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

The Astros are 7-23 in their last 30 at Minute Maid. what's with the team laying all these turds at home lately?

Since 2017 (even with the scandal) we've been better on the road. No real clue as to why… but yeah last year was mind boggling. Especially considering how we'd dominate on the road.

Because we've hacked opponents pitch com, duh.
CrawlingNo5
AG
LeagueCityAg said:

jkag89 said:

Funny how Cowboy er Rangers fans have all of a sudden discovered baseball.
Funny that you say that. I seem to remember Minute Maid being pretty empty prior to 2017.
There was nothing pretty about it. Made the whole state look bad. no pride whatsoever.
cc10106
DFW sports fans always living in the past, like clockwork.

jkag89
CrawlingNo5 said:

LeagueCityAg said:

jkag89 said:

Funny that you say that. I seem to remember Minute Maid being pretty empty prior to 2017.
There was nothing pretty about it. Made the whole state look bad. no pride whatsoever.

Does the fact nobody attends A's games reflect poorly California despite the Effin' Dodgers, Giants, Friars and even the Halos have fantastic to solid fan bases? As I stated few fan cities are big enough baseball towns keep fans coming to games during long stretches of poor ball.
jkag89
htxag09 said:

tjack16 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

The Astros are 7-23 in their last 30 at Minute Maid. what's with the team laying all these turds at home lately?

Since 2017 (even with the scandal) we've been better on the road. No real clue as to why… but yeah last year was mind boggling. Especially considering how we'd dominate on the road.

Because we've hacked opponents pitch com, duh.
Funny that the 'Stros tech staff is so adept at doing this on the road but can't figure it out at home.
LeagueCityAg
AG
cc10106 said:

DFW sports fans always living in the past, like clockwork.

I'll remember this the next time y'all boast about having 2* rings.
DallasAg 94
jkag89 said:

Typical world view of an Astros fans who rides the bandwagon.

Ironically, overall attendance since 2010:
Texas: 33,409
Houston: 29,915

Not bad for fans who recently discovered MLB while a "dynasty" was in the making just SE.

Since 1990, Rangers dropped below 2M in '95 (1.98M) when the season had 144G after cancellation of '94 when the Rangers were in 1st. And in '08 with 1.95M. Astros had 9.

Houston from 2012-2014: 1.607M, 1.651M, 1.752M.

Rangers haven't had an attendance that low since 1988. 36 years ago.

If Biden gets re-elected, the Astros could find themselves below 2M.
jkag89
As the great American author Mark Twain used to say; ."There are 3 kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

I've been an Astros fan longer than you've been alive sonny boy. I'm no Johnny Come Lately due to the team's current success. The same can be said for a large % of the posters on the Astros season threads.

While my attendance at Rangers games in Arlington is hardly a blip on the average attendance figures, I bet I've seen more games in park than most of the "Life Long. POW POW, FPTR fans that post on y'alls thread.
Mr Gigem
AG

Mr Gigem
AG

LeagueCityAg
AG
Nice monologue, but it still doesn't argue any of DallasAg's points.
fc2112
jkag89 said:

While my attendance at Rangers games in Arlington is hardly a blip on the average attendance figures, I bet I've seen more games in park than most of the "Life Long. POW POW, FPTR fans that post on y'alls thread.
Well, seeing as I was going to games in 1972 when you were just a gleam in your daddy's eye, and I've been a season ticket holder for 14 years, I'd say that's not the case for me.
tjack16
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Very nice! Do you get one? (You are the guy who works for them right or is that a different poster?)
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
jkag89 said:

As the great American author Mark Twain used to say; ."There are 3 kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

I've been an Astros fan longer than you've been alive sonny boy. I'm no Johnny Come Lately due to the team's current success. The same can be said for a large % of the posters on the Astros season threads.

I'm not sure how any Astros fan can argue about bandwagon fans given how little support there was during the tanking years.
DallasAg 94
That's interesting.

I'll be honest, I was so consumed growing up watching the LA Dodgers in the '70s, that until the Bad News Bears came out in 1976, I didn't even know the Houston Astros existed. I was like, "wow, that's neat."

Parents moved us to Texas and been a Rangers fan since 1980. But, to be honest, I didn't mind the Astros and always wanted an I-45 World Series.

Apparently there are some pretty knowledgeable Astros fans. Up until this off-season, the Astros posters I saw post were the Trolls who "accidentally" posted on our thread trying to get the attention and validation of a disinterested fan base. Trying to keep up with FA signings, I found the Astros thread had some good updates.

Admittedly, I don't get out to Rangers games as much as I'd like. About an hour drive one-way. I found going to a Dallas Stars game more convenient. 30 mins from door to seat.
TarponChaser
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

jkag89 said:

I'm not sure how any Astros fan can argue about bandwagon fans given how little support there was during the tanking years.

A lot of that had to do with the tv deal fiasco at the time that made it practically impossible to watch them on TV.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
TarponChaser said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

jkag89 said:

A lot of that had to do with the tv deal fiasco at the time that made it practically impossible to watch them on TV.

Maybe. But attendance was pretty awful then, as well.
DallasAg 94
TarponChaser said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

jkag89 said:

FWIW... you may not realize, but Attendance figures are for people who go to the stadium. It doesn't count TV/Radio audience. It might also be worth noting that the Rangers are currently going through a similar pissing contest where most of us can't see games on TV and haven't for 2 years.
DallasAg 94
The guy with 25% of the posts I have on this forum lecturing me about seniority.
jkag89
fc2112 said:

jkag89 said:

Well, seeing as I was going to games in 1972 when you were just a gleam in your daddy's eye, and I've been a season ticket holder for 14 years, I'd say that's not the case for me.
1973 for me. Probably saw 40 to 50 games in old Arlington Stadium before ever seeing an Astros game in the Dome. And I said most.
jkag89
Quote:

I'll be honest, I was so consumed growing up watching the LA Dodgers in the '70s, that until the Bad News Bears came out in 1976, I didn't even know the Houston Astros existed.
How can a fan of the Effin' Dodgers be unaware of a team in its own division? I'd understand not giving them much thought especially in the mid '70s since they were rather meh at best, but not know they even existed?
jkag89
LeagueCityAg said:

Nice monologue, but it still doesn't argue any of DallasAg's points.
Sure it does. Stats can be skewed to show what you want.
jkag89
DallasAg 94 said:

The guy with 25% of the posts I have on this forum lecturing me about seniority.
I assuming you were younger than me.

Over 50% of my posts on TexAgs are on one of the two baseball boards. Sorry that I focus more on the Fightin' Texas Aggie Baseball on a sight dedicated to the sports teams of a certain university.
TarponChaser
DallasAg 94 said:

TarponChaser said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

jkag89 said:

FWIW... you may not realize, but Attendance figures are for people who go to the stadium. It doesn't count TV/Radio audience. It might also be worth noting that the Rangers are currently going through a similar pissing contest where most of us can't see games on TV and haven't for 2 years.

I'm aware but it impacts overall interest levels.
John Armfield
Gayangers didn't win their playoff game until the late 90s hilarious seeing them talking *****
DallasAg 94
jkag89 said:

Quote:

I'll be honest, I was so consumed growing up watching the LA Dodgers in the '70s, that until the Bad News Bears came out in 1976, I didn't even know the Houston Astros existed.
How can a fan of the Effin' Dodgers be unaware of a team in its own division? I'd understand not giving them much thought especially in the mid '70s since they were rather meh at best, but not know they even existed?
I guess I just never got that far down the standings.

Giants - Reds - Dodgers -> Yankees.

Between watching Vin Scully broadcasts and tracking BoxScore results for Cey-Russell-Lopes-Garvey; Yeager; Rick Monday and some guy named Dusty Baker... I spent time studying the Dodgers SP.

Living in Southern California, we lived 20miles from Dodger Stadium then moved 11 miles from Anaheim Stadium. Add the Padres and Giants... and tons of time at the beach... it just never registered. I was a kid.
jkag89
Fair enough I guess. Maybe life was so boring for me in Abilene, Dallas and Houston that I had more than enough time on my hands to become familiar with what teams were in what league and division.

Yep those '70s Dodgers teams were fantastic, still we hates them. As an Aggie, how could you leave Doug Rau off that list of names.
DallasAg 94
jkag89 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

I assuming you were younger than me.

Over 50% of my posts on TexAgs are on one of the two baseball boards. Sorry that I focus more on the Fightin' Texas Aggie Baseball on a sight dedicated to the sports teams of a certain university.
I thought we were talking about Rangers and Astros. If we're opening it up, I was here pre-meltdown (1999). My 1999 registration is the result of things you weren't around to experience.

And admittedly... I'm not as obsessed with Aggie Baseball. I follow it at a passing level. I spent 10 years as a STH for the Stars, and to be honest... averaging 35 NHL games/year is a big commitment in the Spring and during Aggie baseball season. Proximity was an issue, as well.
fc2112
John Armfield said:

Gayangers didn't win their playoff game until the late 90s hilarious seeing them talking *****

Simple reason why.

DallasAg 94
I should have mentioned Rau. I didn't even get started on P.

In fairness, I didn't realize there was an AL, just that the NYY came to town with Mr. October.

One of the other things we did during the summers was play chess on the front lawn.
LeagueCityAg
AG
John Armfield said:

Yet DFW fans are the ones that live in the past. Gotta love drummer fan logic.
fc2112
jkag89
Not a big hockey fan. Maybe if the old WHA Houston Aeros were one of the teams that got absorbed into the NHL back in the '70s. Got to see Gordie Howe play at the back end of hes career with his sons.
jkag89
fc2112 said:

Not even Yankees fans believe that **** anymore.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.